Vox Media Goes After YouTubers That Mocked The Verge PC Build Video

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Feb 14, 2019.

1. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

Thanks for reposting this. I always get a laugh when Lyle is the focus.

I do not care how many times I watch this, I laugh big time every single time. Got to love it at the end, I just in a bad mood, says Lyle. :D :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. Captindecisive

Captindecisive Limp Gawd

I never actually got a chance to watch this, just heard how bad it actually was. Oh no you hurt my feelings, gonna get you YouTube strikes; immature morons.

Learned a few things about Vox reading through this as well, saddens me as I've read a few articles they've done that were actually ok. Political name calling and division aside, seems like a place I'll likely avoid now.

3. Cyraxx

Cyraxx 2[H]4U

So I'm new to Gaming hardware YouTubes - Is that the "Kyle" video that got a copyright strike?

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  4. Jtal

Jtal n00b

I don't understand the "thoughts" that go on inside VOX.

They did a video where they "Discovered and Reveled" that Pinball isn't random.

What sort of brain are they aiming at?
    The people they present as normal seem brain dead, they don't understand pinball.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  5. wizzi01

wizzi01 2[H]4U

I can understand shoddy cable management, but all the other stuff is bad. I mean if someone followed their build they will probably have a non functioning computer in a year.

Darth Kyrie and The Mad Atheist like this.
  6. wizzi01

wizzi01 2[H]4U

Yes it is. Someone posted from Kyle that YouTube reversed the dmca.

Armenius and The Mad Atheist like this.
  7. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

I see Vox likes to pour gasoline on a fire.
    You figure if they had a few brain cells over there, they would've let the video fade over time, even the other YTers' vids will be forgotten...... But NOPE!!!, lets fuck with the YTers and CRS them for false CR claims that will get overturned.
    Pretty sure the YTers that live off of their YT channels will let them slide......./s

* Vox Media, WAAAH, people ripping and mocking our video, lets CRS them, Waaaah!!!!!!

Shame, if I had money I'll ask Kyle if could do a review on their asshattery PC build, fair use, and companies should let their shit slowly die on the interwebs and not bring them back to the surface.

And dammit OP, was this posted yesterday!? :p EDIT: nevermind, that was a necrothread.....
    https://hardforum.com/threads/the-v...ming-pc-video.1967940/page-10#post-1044079381

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  8. Darth Ender

Darth Ender Limp Gawd

there really needs to be a penalty for filing false copyright infringement reports that are as serious as the penalties for the actual infringement.

9. brett89

brett89 n00b

I hadn't even watched how bad their video is until this time. Yup it's terrible, thanks the verge!

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  10. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

I wish I could unsub from The Vag but never heard of them. Quick, someone hand them a 'thanks for comin out trophy' before they piss their diapers. I'd wager these assholes were bitching to ban dislikes as well.

Patton187 and The Mad Atheist like this.
  11. dark_reign

dark_reign 2[H]4U

Yup. That starved for air power supply will probably die before anything else.

Poor cable management can hinder airflow especially in the small case they used. If you're not overclocking then it may not be an issue.

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  12. Pyro411

Pyro411 [H]Lite

Ahh the video that keeps on giving.

Class action lawsuit in 3... 2... 1...

13. mufcfan

mufcfan Limp Gawd

THANKS! I almost fell out of my chair.

I have read and heard a _lot_ of discussions between customer care, technicians and customers of major PC brands, but the original video and "Lyle" definitely gave me a whole new experience.

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  14. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Who thought attacking your audience/consumers nonsense is a good ideal, ffs.

15. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

LOL.. that reminds me of me.. last week. was soo tired i reached for and almost starting putting on my boots.. before my pants that morning.

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  16. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

that's the left in their 1-2 attack

come in with a copyright strike and hit em with an accusation of racism while they're dazed.

classic Tyson

#boxing metaphor

the ironing is delicious.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  17. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

I've read a few article from the Verg and always leave wondering if what i read was correct. Watching this video and seeing their reactions to criticism tells me that im not to far off from what I thought. I don't watch or read their stuff anyway but for some reason my google article feed keeps wanting to push this shit into my feed.

18. gixser

gixser [H]Lite

Time to never go to TheVerge or watch any of their video's or any of the Vox media sites. (SB Nation, TheVerge, Vox, Polygon, Curbed, Eater, Recode.) Visiting or commenting on their content just gives them the traffic/views they can monetize.

Crosshairs likes this.
  19. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

This is my understanding of it, but;

Are there any damages to sue over?

In such a suite, the plaintiff is going to have to show that they suffered damages, usually in the form of lost money, in order to be awarded anything. In fact,if they can't substantiate any damages the suite might get thrown out entirely.

20. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

That Bitwit guy or needs to lay off the Tek some guys are really into their Youtube job to the point where it's just annoying.

21. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

On another note this guy is the reason why the manufactured "Gaming PCs" are still relevant. Over pay for stuff because they don't know or want to learn how to build a new PC. (This dude doesn't help.....)

Armenius and Darth Kyrie like this.
  22. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

Not to mention ligation will bleed the youtubers dry because they aren't getting revenue from their channel because its been striked. Verge has reserves to last until the individuals are broke. Corporate bullying tactics, the big guy can out last the little guy.

23. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Fair use is a legal right.

24. 86 5.0L

86 5.0L [H]ardness Supreme

Have fun spending your money defending that right...

Welcome to our broken justice system, where the one with the deeper pockets wins

25. HeadRusch

HeadRusch [H]ard|Gawd

Welcome to any justice system, friend.

26. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

fyi: Polygon is another Vox site. Blocked that one too.

Armenius likes this.
  27. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Technically, its a legal defense. You use fair use as a defense in a lawsuit to argue that you didn't violate someone's copyright and the judge or jury (depending on the trial) has the decide whether or not that defense is valid in the specific case.

Saturn_V, Armenius and Algrim like this.
  28. Malcador

Malcador n00b

What do you expect form a VOX publication :D

Armenius likes this.
  29. Malcador

Malcador n00b

Dude, this video was too much :LOL:

30. exiled350

exiled350 [H]ard|Gawd

Everyone goes after the video, which was abhorrent, yet nobody seems to remember that the original article and video was sponsored by Capital One.

31. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

I don't see how Capital One can be blamed for anything. They sponsored a video of a computer build by what is ostensibly a technology site; they could not have guessed what a disaster it would have been. Hell, most people couldn't believe what they saw even after watching it.

Armenius and Darth Kyrie like this.
  32. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Limp Gawd

Any time a major mainstream media source posts anything technology related, I always take it with a boulder of salt because most of the time, you can tell their “recommendations” seem to be more influenced by advertising dollars than benchmarks or objective criteria. In the majority of those kinds of articles, the superficiality, lack of rigor, and lack of important details is obvious.

The guy who did the Verge video would’ve been long forgotten had he just shut up and had the Verge removed the video quietly. That didn’t happen and the Verge is now a laughingstock for doubling down on their own stupidity.

33. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

People whining and complaining instead of fighting for justice and their rights is pretty typical. I mean, even those working at Verge are being whiny little bitches by abusing Youtube's strike system in the first place.

Armenius likes this.
  34. travm

travm Limp Gawd

Tweezers for the pee pee, and better leave Allen and get with Phillip, bahaha.
    This deserves to exist.

alxlwson, Armenius and Darth Kyrie like this.
  35. travanx

travanx [H]ard|Gawd

I hadn't seen this before. So I started watching the linked vimeo video and was curious what the original was about. To my dismay the linked video was the original. At least I got a good laugh out of Lyle's take.

Jackson Pollack painting thermal paste application.

Master_shake_, Armenius and FrgMstr like this.
  36. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

I blocked a channel recently, but it was a slightly involved process. Had to click the three vertical dots, then click not interested. After you click that, some options appear where the video was, one of which is "Tell us why". Click that, and you can click "Not interested in this channel." I did that with Watchmojo a few months ago and have not seen any Watchmojo recommendations since.

Yes and no. The US is the worst in that the plaintiffs don't have to pay back the defendants in the case that they lose. In the EU, the loser of the court battle has to pay all of the legal fees for the winning side, which makes such battles much rarer. There's a reason more than 70% of the world's lawyers are US lawyers.

37. TordanGow

TordanGow [H]ard|Gawd

The weak only exist to justify the strong.

38. DocNo

DocNo Gawd

I never did get the fuss over the Verge or Vox - their content never was outstanding. Now they pull this crap? How principled of them :rolleyes:

39. likeman

likeman Gawd

did you watch the original video of The Verge it it was very bad (and it got past 12 people before it was posted, as they was credited i believe in the end of it lol)

don't get why wait 6 months before pulling this stunt (google should promote the bad build reports and videos when people google The Verge) probably should not be posting there name as gets the google search bots attention (like i wont post Tom H due to past epic fails)