Vox Media Goes After YouTubers That Mocked The Verge PC Build Video

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Feb 14, 2019.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Vox Media is leveraging copyright strikes against YouTube channels that mocked The Verge's infamous PC build video. The company has allegedly manually filed a copyright strike against Kyle of Bitwit for creating a parody video of The Verge PC build video. WCCFTECH says that this will create the Streisand Effect "whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the internet." It is obvious that a parody is considered "fair use" so more than likely Vox Media will lose the case. But not before reminding the entire tech industry how bad that PC build video really was.

Welp, @voxdotcom just removed the "Lyle Reacts to the Verge's PC Build Video" claiming copyright violation and @ Youtube, without warning, felt that was deserving of a strike against the channel. Watch out @ScienceStudioYT @TechYESCity @KristoferYee

2. Disco_Stu_04

Disco_Stu_04 Limp Gawd

What a bunch of clowns. Read today that folks were unsubscribing from the Verge, hopefully that trend continues.

Paul had a well worded reply as well

Edit GN posted on this, calls out Verge/Vox using their own words (about abusing the YT copyright takedown service of all things) against them.

Fuck Verge & fuck Vox.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  3. Jester1550

Jester1550 Gawd

Oh good grief, I had forgotten how terrible that video was...

4. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

They were really stupid for posting that video in the first place

5. emphy

emphy Limp Gawd

I feel a bit weird saying this, being a European (so somewhat sceptical of "US suing culture"), but: either youtube and/or the affected youtubers really should sue for damages.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  6. kandrey89

kandrey89 Limp Gawd

That guy building the PC is a total retard, he has no business working in that industry, it's like he's reading off a script that a 70 year old guy and a 5 year old wrote, neither knows exactly what they are talking about but LED in the RAM are COOL, so that's why we chose it, oh and it has a pretty large number of MEGA hertz in it!

FFS ROFLMAO, and WTF is up with OoS in the video? Out of Sync

7. Kor

Kor 2[H]4U

Bit on the slow side there.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  8. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

Oh this will most definitely cause the Streisand effect
    Fuck those guys
    Put out a shitty video and then claim its everyone elses fault

9. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

I just watched it...very good! "He fighting Cancer!!!!"

Armenius likes this.
  10. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I thought the original video by the Verge was a parody, since no one could be that incompetent, lol.

11. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

I warned that would happen. I warned that companies would use DMCA to go after critics and competition through shutdown notices. I warned that government was overstepping its bounds with DMCA, and it would favor big corps with lots of lawyers. So may people told me I was overreacting. This is just going to get more widespread, until we won't be able to criticize any big company, for the very mention of their name in a negative context could bring crippling lawsuits, or, worse yet, law enforcement arresting people for "copyright infringement". Don't allow government to take so much power. They will abuse it.

Bcc335, DocNo, Darth Kyrie and 10 others like this.
  12. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

13. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

They’ve been doing it for years, and unless YouTube has changed their system (unlikely) its 3 strikes and you’re out guilty until you prove yourself innocent. Jim Sterling has some videos exactly about YouTube DMCA copyright take downs. It’s not a good system.

Darth Kyrie and Revdarian like this.
  14. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

15. Dalexx

Dalexx Limp Gawd

What doesn't make sense is why are they doing it now? The verge video is 6 months old and everyone has forgotten about it. Unless they are planning to release a new video and don't want people to confuse to two. This is just a odd move this long after the original release.

dvsman, readeh, AlphaQup and 4 others like this.
  16. ScottSummers79

ScottSummers79 [H]Lite

Guess who was just added to my firewall...

17. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Limp Gawd

So bad that we were all reminded again.

TitaniumLizzard likes this.
  18. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Limp Gawd

They want you to remember it again.

19. gxp500

gxp500 Gawd

Time to use the dislike button on all of the verge's videos...

captaindiptoad likes this.
  20. Tiburon1186

Tiburon1186 Gawd

The verge is one of the few 'tech' feeds that I blocked.

DocNo and captaindiptoad like this.
  21. TwiceOver

TwiceOver 2[H]4U

I like listening to The Vergecast, but man their corporate culture is just trash. Between shit like this and their racist former writer that they all got together to defend, not sure if I can even continue listening to the podcast.

Auer likes this.
  22. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

The verge installing a CPU. Ah oh, I'm gonna get a copyright strike now.

JIvFRCS.gif

23. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Rich from ReviewTechUSA also got a copyright strike for his critical video.

24. Extra-Titanian

Extra-Titanian [H]ard|Gawd

It gets worse the longer I stare at it. What's going on? Why is the thermal compound going on before the cpu? Where is the ram? Who advertises a NB heatsink as Ultra Durable? Why is the thermal compound mayonnaise? Is everything mayonnaise?

25. Submarinesailor

Submarinesailor [H]Lite

I blocked "The Verge" from all my news feeds right after this video was released.

Disco_Stu_04 likes this.
  26. TangledThornz

TangledThornz Gawd

VOX was started by Ezra Klein who is a DC elitist liberal douche so what did you expect? Seriously, I read an interview with him and the guy looks down upon anybody that doesn't live in a major city.

This is more about the First Amendment than anything.

Moving forward, I'd like to see [H] do a PC build video :)

DocNo, opfreak, Maxx and 7 others like this.
  27. babochee

babochee Gawd

I would never expect this from a vindictive left-wing tech news outlet! I'm trigger! Arrrrrrggggghhhh the micro agresssssssionsssss!

mynamehere, DocNo, 86 5.0L and 5 others like this.
  28. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

cageymaru I wonder if this fiasco will have a butterfly effect of Wal-Mart lawyers eyeing GN over their review of that online pre-built with glued connectors.

29. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

30. horskh

horskh Limp Gawd

I wonder who at Vox did this. It seems they do not know either of the Streisand effect nor of the fact that it is fair use. I can't believe that the person or people involved actually use the internet like we do. I browse several web sites as well as YouTube for my tech news and reviews. It doesn't take long to understand the fine line YouTubers walk with fair use and potential copyright strikes, as well as the difficulty of getting back on YouTube's good graces once you're flagged as having crossed it.

I wonder what happens now. I have heard of other channels getting copyright strikes against them for other reasons, but I have never heard of how one gets the strike cleared. Is there anything we common folk can do to show our disapproval at Vox or at least show that their strike is invalid?
    (Edit) Nevermind, I see the update that the strike was negated. I wonder if it is because Kyle, or more generally tech YouTubers are a much larger audience which can influence and accelerate a positive decision.

Further, is there any penalty for submitting invalid copyright claims against channels? If not, whose to stop someone from doing the same thing right back at Vox?

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  31. Too bad Youtube no longer allows you to block channels. Verge is garbage IMHO.

mynamehere, Armenius and GlowingGhoul like this.
  32. GlowingGhoul

GlowingGhoul Whines about Whiners

The Verge and Vox infest the internet. Who reads their garbage?

DukenukemX and The Mad Atheist like this.
  33. GlowingGhoul

GlowingGhoul Whines about Whiners

Surprised accusations of racism didn't find their way into this. You know that was certainly part of the discussion at Vox HQ.

34. Guarana [BAWLS]

Guarana [BAWLS] [H]ard|Gawd

apparently enough people so that they have the money to waste on:
    Hiring someone to do videos who has no idea what they're doing
    Spend ~2K on a PC that almost didn't work
    Produce a video that was so bad, that they almost killed their computer more than once
    have enough admin staff to start hunting down reaction videos and make a list
    enough to pay a lawyer to draft multiple letters to youtube to get all of those videos / channels strikes

So.... too many people?

35. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

36. dark_reign

dark_reign 2[H]4U

Once he mentioned 'tweezers' you knew this was going to be a horrible PC build. Everything he did was wrong and the cable management was a disgrace. What a shit show, but it was fun to watch the numerous fuck-ups.

37. Cyraxx

Cyraxx 2[H]4U

This made me laugh pretty damn good

Blown Cap, Jon855, Tsumi and 16 others like this.
  38. TangledThornz

TangledThornz Gawd

39. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

these false strikes without consequences need to stop and people that do it should cost them 5x-10x as much as the copy strike.

40. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Oh but they can be.

That's the part that gets me. No one really remembered that until they brought it up again. What's even worse is that now they are adding fuel to the fire by acting like completed douches. They are just stirring up shit that's backfiring on them already. Not only are the people at The Verge incompetent, but they are assholes as well. This isn't going to end the way they think it will.

Kain, hurleybird, Blown Cap and 7 others like this.