The Verge Ridiculed for "How We Built a $2000 Custom Gaming PC" Video

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Sep 15, 2018.

1. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

A $2,000 monitor is required for 4K gaming?

pendragon1 likes this.
  2. JStamsek

JStamsek [H]ardForum Junkie

It’s the Verge. They can’t build a computer properly, so why th fuck would I trust a gaming review?

knowom, Disco_Stu_04, Motley and 2 others like this.
  3. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

How in the feck does that dude still have a job, and still doing videos. Put him on bathroom duty!

If anyone of us screwed up our jobs that bad, they would be kicking our white ass out the door.

alxlwson and pendragon1 like this.
  4. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

for that sweet 4k/144 that nothing can push...

stefan231 likes this.
  5. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

Sure it can, the SLI 2080 TI (sorry Kyle I know Jayz2cents is a dbag)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    IdiotInCharge likes this.
  6. dark_reign

dark_reign 2[H]4U

If he can't build a PC the right way then he probably couldn't clean a toilet. He seems to act like an elitist which I abhor.

GoldenTiger and FrgMstr like this.
  7. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

If they are releasing a guide telling people how to build a computer THEY SHOULD KNOW HOW TO BUILD A COMPUTER. This isn't rocket science. The Verge made this whole big deal about Techtuber not being journalists, meaning they consider themselves to be journalists. Fine, then you had damn well better believe I am going to hold them up to those standards. They utterly FAILED. You NEVER release false information as a journalist. You NEVER fail to verify that helpful information is correct. As journalists they have a DUTY to ensure that this shit is correct. There is NO EXCUSE for this. Stop defending shit journalism.

I am passionate about journalism. I hate seeing people that claim to be journalists pull this shit. Verge is a big site, with a lot of traffic. If people follow it they WILL break their computers. They never fixed their article either, so its not like people still can't find it and use it. I wouldn't be anywhere near as hard on them if they had taken everything down, fully admitted fault (beyond saying minor errors, fuck them for that bullshit lie), and worked to remedy. Mistakes happen, a good journalist will own up to the mistake and correct it. A shit journalist will run, hide, and try to deflect.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    trparky, Motley, Jim Kim and 7 others like this.
  8. John721

John721 [H]ard|Gawd

Honestly, if the Verge had just released the video on April 1, 2019...everything would have been all good. And still pretty funny.

alxlwson, Dahkoht and pendragon1 like this.
  9. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Oh, I'm not defending anyone.

And I agree with you 100%, they could have done a lot more after the fact. However, as how the piece was ever published in the first place, I still firmly believe my account of those events are probably still what happened.

No one as big as The Verge is going to shit all over themselves. Too much at stake in this ultra competitive space. So, from the presenter, the front office, management, video editor, producer of the piece ... none of them knew what the hell they were really doing and or, didn't care, probably both and on many levels.

At the end of the day, the video was pulled and fire contained. It's not that big of a deal. You still have a handful of people who are still circling the wagon circle wanting blood ... but no one is home and no one cares. Actually, I would invite everyone to focus on all the good that has come out of this little blip in time. A whole hellava lot of kids are going to get a proper education now with all the reaction videos and resources those men / women have posted. And that's awesome.

I'm around very smart people fairly often and you would be surprised at all the dumb shit they do. Same difference. It happens and when it happens, the reasons are not as complex and exotic as people would like to believe. Remove the human need to complicate shit and the real reasons will always be ... boring.

And lets get real for a minute. The Verge is probably staffed with kids and 30 something year old adults. Everyone in the office has an iPhones, MBP's on their desks. I promise, zero Androids. They don't build shit. They are consumers first and ... consume. I promise you, they have empty Starbuck cups on their desks, all the guys wear skinny jeans and they all spend their day jacking each other off, fist bumping and hand explosions saying "oh that's cool" and they do this all day long. Then you have a handful of emo journalist talking about their dogs and the latest dog park that "you should totally check out!" Those guys don't know how to build a GD PC ... lol. Of course something like this is going to come out of that environment.

Also, if anyone I here wants to make a difference, hell, contact The Verge and offer to consult for them on any future PC tech videos. Be nice about it, who knows, you might be given credit on a video piece or two which would look pretty cool on your resume.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  10. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Me either with any guild I've been in on MMO's in over 20 years.

Dahkoht and lcpiper like this.
  11. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

Today's journalism has gone down the toilet. Whether its CNN (fake news), the failing NY Times, and gaming journalists. Nobody has any sense of pride in their work for verifying correct information. The first one to break a story it goes out unverified, fake news all over the place. Its sad really. The internet (social media) has ruined journalism!

GoldenTiger and Bowman15 like this.
  12. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

And I thought advertising dollars had something to do with it.

Jim Kim likes this.
  13. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

It does indeed, but ad revenue has also ruined youtube, websites, and tv in general. TV is the worst, its up to 25min for every 60min show now. Why wonder people cut the cord, but that doesn't work either because the internet ads are getting worse by the day. I watched a linus tech tips vid the other day, there were 3 different ads in a 10min vid. WTF.

14. lcpiper

Advertisers kill every fucking thing they get their meat hooks into.

15. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

I know! Years ago, I remember watching movies/tv shows that glorified Marketing firms, now they should be embarrassed working in marketing (email spammers). I don't hear anyone brag about their internet marketing jobs?

16. lcpiper

When Cable TV became completely subverted by pharmaceutical commercials for anti-depressant drugs ...... the suicide rate increased 38% ....... Think there's a connection?

P.S. Yes, I just pulled all that out of my ass ....... but come on, you haven't thought the same thing yourselves? :whistle:

17. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Something something correlation vs causation

Jim Kim likes this.
  18. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

19. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  20. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

21. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Surprised they haven't just gotten rid of their comment section like every other publication out there yet.

The Mad Atheist and d8lock like this.
  22. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

They only do it when the article is crap.... ;)

...So I guess, yeah, why haven' they gotten rid of it altogether?!

23. d8lock

d8lock Gawd

I can kind of see why. Take a look at fox news. Their site is loaded with anti trump (deserved, or not) spam, making the comments secrtion a brown storm. Liberal leaning sites (yahoo) are loaded with anti democrat spam(again, deserved or not), ruining both sides' comments sections.

24. Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson [H]Lite

I do run a semiconductor fab out of my bedroom, you insensitive jerk.

:p:cool::)

25. Crosshairs

Crosshairs Administrator Staff Member

I dont want to brag, but I often go to the refrigerator, pull out a bunch of things and build my own sandwiches...

26. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

I have a wife that does that for me...

Ahhh who am I kidding, she doesn't. :(

dvsman, alxlwson, Travolta and 2 others like this.
  27. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

According to WTF Tech, The Verge is now filing DMCA takedowns of videos using this clip.

28. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

Hahahah seriously

I predict many many more videos will now pop up with it

Armenius, xmadror and The Mad Atheist like this.
  29. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

I guess the Verge hasn't learned NOT to poke the internet. You poke the internet and you will never win.

30. geok1ng

geok1ng 2[H]4U

that is on of my leisure past times over the last months

31. illli

illli [H]ard|Gawd

Thats pretty petty.

Armenius likes this.
  32. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

Image is everything these days ;)

33. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

"However, please be advised that we may not be able to get back to you immediately.".......
    Sounds like Facebook when I try to tell them their Community Standards are being abused.

What get posted of the Interwebs, stays on the Interwebs. :)

BoiseTech and Armenius like this.
  34. Armenius

35. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

ha ha ha.

good luck the internet never forgets.

Armenius and The Mad Atheist like this.
  36. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

They're going to keep on until it's known as the Verge Effect.

37. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Someone should edit the Wiki page to include the Verge.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

naib and Master_shake_ like this.
  38. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

They honestly would have been better off just letting it go. The second they started trying to get web sites to take it down, they ended up stirring up a shit storm which puts that video right back into people's minds. Not only does the Verge look retarded for the video itself, but it looks even worse for this bullshit.

Elios, Chimpee, Ebernanut and 3 others like this.
  39. Armenius

Vox just gave Bitwit a copyright strike for his "Lyle Reacts to the Verge's PC Build" video.

SPARTAN VI and Ranulfo like this.
  40. naib

naib [H]ard|Gawd

DONE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect#By_businesses
    @ [H] I had to use the parent HardOCP as a reference but feel free to remove it you are not happy with this

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    trick_m0nkey, dvsman, mbelue and 4 others like this.