Vitaminwater Offers $100K to Quit Smartphones for a Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Vitaminwater is calling attention to itself with a stunt that will award “one lucky person $100,000 to ditch their smartphone in favor of a ‘1996-era cellular telephone’ for a full year.” It isn’t clear how the company will reliably prevent an entrant from cheating (while a lie-detector test will be given at the end of the contest, those aren’t exactly reliable).

Vitaminwater will give the winner a dumb phone from the 90s, along with an accompanying phone plan, that they'll be able to use for communication during the yearlong contest. The rules state you won't be able to use or even touch any smartphone or tablet for 365 consecutive days, and you'll need to take a lie-detector test at the end of the contest to prove your abstinence. If you only last 6 months smartphone-free, Vitaminwater will give you $10,000.

mmm... Can I use my 1996 Cellphone?

but then again, my SWGOH guild would probably hang me if I agreed to this. :p

This seems pretty easy, I sit in front of a computer all day anyway which I use for messaging and occasionally calls.

Its not as easy as you may think. A few years ago I broke my phone and just decided to get a Nokia 520 since it was $20. Although its a smartphone being able to take photos when needed is extremely useful (I my car got rear ended at a set of lights and I couldn't take any photos in the dark and taking a photo of a ticket machine if it doesnt work) Theres lots of other things like looking up the live bus timetable or a shops opening hours and address (although I could do this on this Nokia)

You'd be suprised of the modern conveniences that you take for granted.

I am tempted to enter this contest. The only thing that would suck about it is needing to go back to good-old paper charts and compass for navigation.

I still use my 1990s phone without any prize involved and wouldn't change it for a smart phone unless forced.

The only problem is that people hate having to give me directions instead of sending me a Wayz.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
so all i have to do is not use my cell?

fuck that's easy.

all i use it for is texting anyway.

I still use my slider phone, never wanted to get addicted to a smart phone. hell i don't even want to upgrade but with Verizon shutting down 2G at the end of the year is forcing me to.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I literally could not do this without losing my job, and lifestyle.

And I don't use any social media. I use my phone as everything from GPS and Transit lookup to a signal generator and even a flashlight. This is stupid, and vitamin water is stupid.

Not being able to google things on the fly to not get fired is stupid.

I guess the "panel of judges" will select some fucking Instagram model, who doesn't really have a real job anyways...

I could do it, but I would need to buy a DS, pocket camera and take my kindle when I go out.
Google maps would be the biggest loss as I use it all the time.
If I lived in a small town and drove I don't think it would bother me at all.
Living in a major city where driving is strongly discouraged, it would be much more difficult.

I literally could not do this without losing my job, and lifestyle.

And I don't use any social media. I use my phone as everything from GPS and Transit lookup to a signal generator and even a flashlight. This is stupid, and vitamin water is stupid.

Not being able to google things on the fly to not get fired is stupid.

I guess the "panel of judges" will select some fucking Instagram model, who doesn't really have a real job anyways...

What job requires you to Google stuff on the fly to not get fired?

I glanced at the rules and it says nothing about laptop use. So hell yeah.

Except I am not eligible since I have to have phone and email 24x7 for work...and not just "email".... Outlook email/calendar/Teams/Goto Meetings - WebX etc etc. Boooo

Cracks me up they show a StarTac as the "crappy old 1990's phone" to use. The Mrs had one of those back in the day and they cost a TON. I had a crappy Metro PCS $49 POS

Last edited:
I would actually have little trouble with this personally, since I'm a geek at home and work and thus nearly always around a desktop or laptop. However work would be the problem. I end up getting roped in to supporting user smartphones/tablets from time to time.

Wonder if the rules state you have to have a smartphone to quit using? Could I just keep using my early 2000's flip phone? Wonder if non-cell tablets are included in the ban? Would miss the Nook-HD while waiting in the deer blind. Good time to get in a couple hours of reading.

Wonder if the rules state you have to have a smartphone to quit using? Could I just keep using my early 2000's flip phone? Wonder if non-cell tablets are included in the ban? Would miss the Nook-HD while waiting in the deer blind. Good time to get in a couple hours of reading.

Shush you. Goto Wally World and buy a $25 prepaid POS android phone. Tada!

I could do it easily,
IMG_2616.PNG

Restrictions Include:
  • No smartphone or tablet use, including using another smartphone or tablet that does not belong to you
  • Laptops and desktop computers are OK to use
  • Voice-activated devices that are NOT smartphones are OK (like google home or amazon echo)
Must have/own and use a smartphone on a daily basis before the start of the Contest. You cannot be required to use a smartphone for work or other commitments.

You'll have to haul a laptop out to the blind, or the actual book.

To easy to lose. All it takes it a family member to hand you their phone to look at Johnny's new picture, or a family member calls and they hand the phone to you to say hi. It is nearly impossible to win, even those that never use a smart phone or tablet. How about when you go to a restaurant that have those touch pads on the table. or those restaurants that use Ipads and the cube to pay. you just lost.. the list is endless on how you will never succeed due to the way society revolves around the very devices you are not supposed to use.

Restrictions Include:
  • No smartphone or tablet use, including using another smartphone or tablet that does not belong to you
  • Laptops and desktop computers are OK to use
  • Voice-activated devices that are NOT smartphones are OK (like google home or amazon echo)
Must have/own and use a smartphone on a daily basis before the start of the Contest. You cannot be required to use a smartphone for work or other commitments.

You'll have to haul a laptop out to the blind, or the actual book.

This seems easy. Only hangup for me is that I use Waze on a dedicated tablet to make my commute easier. I could switch to an old fashioned GPS unit I guess.

If I could get one like the 5100 Nokia , id be set.

I'd love to go back to my Nokia 8800 Gold. Though I have to use a smartphone for work. Regarding the contest, it's kind of BS as like someone said you have to win to get opportunity to go for a year with a dumb phone.

I want to but can't. The $100,000 - tax would payoff my student loans. Even handling a smart phone for evidence collection would violate the contract. Find out who the lucky person is, restrain them, place a phone in their hand then take a picture.

I work with a woman in IT security that only uses a non-smart flip phone. No sms, nothing. LOL

Back