Vista available today for public download.

There is no torrent for the 64bit version. Winbeta doesn't have it either.

Edit: I've also checked alt.binaries.comp, which also doesn't seem to have it. Is it really so much trouble to put up a couple mirrors or a torrent? Christ!

Rehevkor said:
There is no torrent for the 64bit version. Winbeta doesn't have it either.
There are Vista x64 torrents. I don't want to link to the sites though. I saw 2 yesterday.

I found a couple of dead links, and maybe one that's an earlier beta, which I have no interest in. I haven't seen the public beta 2 anywhere.

Rehevkor said:
I found a couple of dead links, and maybe one that's an earlier beta, which I have no interest in. I haven't seen the public beta 2 anywhere.
Sorry then, I see 3 very active ones right now.

Well PM me a link, if you don't mind. I'm sick of clicking Microsoft's stupid useless link. Their direct link goes to an ISO file that is 13.8mb. I don't have the words to describe how annoyed I am with them right now :mad:

I read a little of this thread, but didnt see my answer. Does this build have everything that will be in the final? Ive downloaded it.. and got my key, just want to see if its worth it, or if its just a stripped down beta.

fallguy said:
I read a little of this thread, but didnt see my answer. Does this build have everything that will be in the final? Ive downloaded it.. and got my key, just want to see if its worth it, or if its just a stripped down beta.
The key will install Vista Ultimate on the ISO. I believe all features are in the beta. Things are bound to change between now and the final release as far as functionality of course.

Does anyone know how long the beta will run after installation before it expires? I can't seem to find a definate answer on the CPP site for vista.

Downloading the 64-bit version directly via the 'use my own download manager' link with no problems. Maxing out my 6mbit connection in fact, at this rate it will be less than 2 hours total download time.

finally got around to installing it.

I am very pleased at the inclusion of my ethernet drivers, as well as decent enough nvidia drivers to make it pretty smooth. I installed firefox, and Aero works on xp programs.

awesome.

Blue Falcon said:
Does anyone know how long the beta will run after installation before it expires? I can't seem to find a definate answer on the CPP site for vista.

Downloading the 64-bit version directly via the 'use my own download manager' link with no problems. Maxing out my 6mbit connection in fact, at this rate it will be less than 2 hours total download time.

FUCK. :mad:

After completing a 2 hour download Firefox informs me that 'This file cannot be saved to your computer'. Bullshit, why the fuck didn't it say that at the beginning instead of making me waste 2 hours.

I am starting to see where paying MS the $6 for the DVD might come in handy.

Blue Falcon said:

Installed Beta 2 today -- says it will expire May 2007

pxc said:
The key will install Vista Ultimate on the ISO. I believe all features are in the beta. Things are bound to change between now and the final release as far as functionality of course.

Thanks, guess Ill give it a try. I havented dual booted in forever, since XP first came out.

Couldn't get X64 version to burn correctly to DVD. I think there was an error somehow in the download...

Hito Bahadur said:
Couldn't get X64 version to burn correctly to DVD. I think there was an error somehow in the download...

I am using DVD Decrypter... working fine so far, almost done.

Burned fine, but wont let me install to the HD I want. :( Its clean, empty, and lots of room. Ugh. Its dynamic.

fallguy said:
Burned fine, but wont let me install to the HD I want. :( Its clean, empty, and lots of room. Ugh. Its dynamic.
use a winxp disc or somethign to make sure its allready formatted into NTFS. I ran into the same problem

I formatted it, via quick format first, to NTFS. Didnt work. Doing it again.. the slow way.. takes forever on a 300gig HD. :(

Got my Vista ATi drivers. But their motherboard, and video card drivers are one in the same, for some reason. Got my X-Fi drivers.. and I think thats all Ill need right off the bat.

fallguy said:
I formatted it, via quick format first, to NTFS. Didnt work. Doing it again.. the slow way.. takes forever on a 300gig HD. :(
I did the quick format, and it worked. I dont think thats your problem. does the installation give anymore clues?

have you gone into advanced options and tried to format it in vista setup?

Doesnt let me. When I select the HD I want, the "Next" button is not highlighted.

edit, pic;
VistaInstall.JPG

I want to put it on Backup2. Its 100% empty, and formatted. F: and E: are the only ones that highlight when I click them. Not enough room on a few of them. I know its something simple, I just cant remember how to change it.

dbwillis said:
Is it because "Backup2" is Dynamic ?

yes. You cannot install Windows on a dynamic disk. Convert it to a "Basic" disk with a primary partition and it should work just fine. (at least with Windows XP)

...damn...I did learn something from those M$ exams :p

MS locked this thing down fairly well. I had to remove a 'deny' permission on the everyone group just to snoop around in the documents and settings folder.

I got the link off MS website to work for me. I downloaded DAP 8, Download Accelerator Plus 8 and then I right clicked the link and picked "Download w/ DAP" and then hit start download and it worked like a charm :D Got an hour or so left before its done. So screw slow ass bit torrent and newsgroups :)

Here is link for DAP 8:

http://www.speedbit.com/

Here are links again.

English 32-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/en/x86/download.htm
English 64-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/en/x64/download.htm
German 32-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/de/x86/download.htm
German 64-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/de/x64/download.htm
Japanese 32-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/jp/x86/download.htm
Japanese 64-Bit: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/jp/x64/download.htm

Hope it helps.

is there a way to pirate this free beta version? ..just so we can say "we took it" ..and not have another thing just given to us...?

:)

[F]old|[H]ard

nst6563 said:
yes. You cannot install Windows on a dynamic disk. Convert it to a "Basic" disk with a primary partition and it should work just fine. (at least with Windows XP)

...damn...I did learn something from those M$ exams :p

Yeah, I know it cant be dymanic. But I forgot, and cant figure out the way to change it. Going to disk management doesnt let me, or Im missing it. When I delete the space, and it becomes unallocated, it does not give me the option to create a primary partition, as it usually does. Only basic. I want to install it to this HD, ugh!

iRoNeTiK said:
I got the link off MS website to work for me. I downloaded DAP 8, Download Accelerator Plus 8 and then I right clicked the link and picked "Download w/ DAP" and then hit start download and it worked like a charm :D

Thanks for the tip on DAP....I'm d/ling the 64 bit version right now using it. I was lucky enough to get the 32 bit the first day, but haven't been able to get anything since. Looks like this is going to be the trick here though... :cool:

Ax

any one know if i can "upgrade" my XP64 install to the Vista 64 beta 2?

Elios said:
any one know if i can "upgrade" my XP64 install to the Vista 64 beta 2?

You ought to be able to do that just by popping the disc in and following the upgrade wizard that comes up. I wouldn't reccomend this at all though, a clean install is much much better.

People running x1800 or x1900 radeons might want to be careful btw, i was running hl2 lost coast and noticed the fan wasn't spinning up or down while playing it. Not sure if that means it was staying in 2d mode or went to 3d mode but without the fan adjusting itself.

Blue Falcon said:
You ought to be able to do that just by popping the disc in and following the upgrade wizard that comes up. I wouldn't reccomend this at all though, a clean install is much much better.

The upgrade option is turned off in this beta.

Hmm I'm not a big fan of it, it rated my system as 1 overall, which is bs because my individual parts were 4 or 5, which of course is a 1 average when you apply quantum mechanics to it....
I like the design, but the layout is too cluttered and confusing, they changed it all around so its harder for noobs to f*ck things up, like all of the advanced settings are hidden etc, and it asks to confirm stuff like 40000000 times before it happens. I deff wont be purchasing it.

Gave me a blue screen during install. I think it had an ati error message, could be wrong. I was on the couch, across the room when it was installing.

fallguy said:
Gave me a blue screen during install. I think it had an ati error message, could be wrong. I was on the couch, across the room when it was installing.
list your system specs...

I also used a download manager / accelerator to get it. It went quite well, possibly the first time I've seen my system do a sustained download at 6Mbit. :cool:

But I'm definately making an image of my current OS install before I try to install either of these (I downloaded both the 32bit and 64bit versions). Because I expect problems, for instance the ULi southbridge on my motherboard isn't exactly 'industry standard'. I guess I"m off to find drivers for that... I don't think it will even recognize my SATA drives without drivers.

Cannydog said:
I also used a download manager / accelerator to get it. It went quite well, possibly the first time I've seen my system do a sustained download at 6Mbit. :cool:

But I'm definately making an image of my current OS install before I try to install either of these (I downloaded both the 32bit and 64bit versions). Because I expect problems, for instance the ULi southbridge on my motherboard isn't exactly 'industry standard'. I guess I"m off to find drivers for that... I don't think it will even recognize my SATA drives without drivers.
it will recognize your SATA...maybe not RAID though.

Chris_B said:
People running x1800 or x1900 radeons might want to be careful btw, i was running hl2 lost coast and noticed the fan wasn't spinning up or down while playing it. Not sure if that means it was staying in 2d mode or went to 3d mode but without the fan adjusting itself.

Fan speeds are hardcoded in BIOS, so they should kick up when the temp threshold is reached.

My guess is that it's just running at stock 2d clocks...notice that there's no ati2evxx process running (which could be tricky if it were, since Vista is always in 3d mode). I think ATI's still trying to figure out how to determine when you need full speed clocks in that environment, and in the meantime, they're keeping it at low speed.

I'm will say I'm a little bummed that Crossfire support isn't available yet, nor is Overdrive. Hopefully that'll come before too long.

Back