Vista available today for public download.

HighwayAssassins said:
list your system specs...

A8R32-MVP
2xX1900XT in Crossfire
Opty 165
2x1gig Ballistix
Raptor, 200&300gig HD (tried installing to the 200gig IDE drive)
X-Fi
PC P&C 510 SLI

I goes all the way thru the install process I believe. Two reboots, and then comes up for what looks to be the last few minutes of the install process, and gives me a BSOD. I *think* it had a ati error. I was on the couch across the room, and just happened to see the BSOD for a second. I plan to try again later, and pay attention. Ive tried the x32 and x64 version, didnt see what happened on the second try. Both gave me an error after it booted me into XP, telling me to check MS's site to see if my PC is Vista ready.

edit, just noticed Croak has a pretty similar setup as I do. And his installed fine it seems. Im on Cat 6.5's, without the Chuck patch. The and southbridge drivers dating about 2 months ago, the newest ones.

Just tried the installation again. There was no BSOD.

It looked like all was going well, I watched the last part of the install, to see what it was doing. It rebooted for the last time, showed the Vista build info, and looked like it was just about to go to the desktop. My G15 keyboard LCD came on (just like XP right before the logon screen) and then just like that, it rebooted. When it came back up, it came up to a screen and told me the installation was no successful, and that it would basically put it back how it was before the installation.

Im wondering if my USB keyboard and mouse, thats hooked up thru my 2405FPW's USB hub, is causing a problem. I dont know why it would, but then again, its a beta. Ill probably try again with a PS2 kb+mouse, and unhook the USB cable all together and see if that helps.

One thing that stikes me as odd is, the colors are very bad. It looks like when you uninstalled video drivers, and the colors are in 16 or something. Also some bad distortion in some parts of the install screens Its very bad. Could be the ATi drivers causing problems? I unchecked the option for it to look for updates, simply because thats how Ive alwasy done it. Guess Ill try one more time, leaving that option checked...

Shot I took with my camera phone, not very good, but you can obviously see it has graphical problems;
VistaInstallError.jpg

I just burned windows vista onto a dvd. What does it do when I push the install now button? Does it overwrite my existing OS or upgrade it? I want to put it on a separate partition if that is possible but I don't know how. Does the installation let you create a partition and install it separate from the windows xp OS I have already installed?.

silverwolf0 said:
I just burned windows vista onto a dvd. What does it do when I push the install now button? Does it overwrite my existing OS or upgrade it? I want to put it on a separate partition if that is possible but I don't know how.

you'll need to create a separate partition to do that. and then you'll need to tell it to install on which partition because it obviously wont know any better.

Here's a quick question for Vista vets: is there any way to enable the 'Run' option in the start menu? All I have is the 'search index/internet' option which is useless to me.

Blue Falcon said:
You ought to be able to do that just by popping the disc in and following the upgrade wizard that comes up. I wouldn't reccomend this at all though, a clean install is much much better.

well my XP64 install is on my "experamental" OS drive so its not what i use day to day

IcedEmotion said:
Here's a quick question for Vista vets: is there any way to enable the 'Run' option in the start menu? All I have is the 'search index/internet' option which is useless to me.

It is already in the menu - Look under "accessories" (as I remember).

vsrdan said:
It is already in the menu - Look under "accessories" (as I remember).

Thanks, looks like the trusty command prompt was hiding there as well.

Im having difficult getting Vista installed now I have downloaded the 4.1gb 64 bit .iso file:

1)When I try and burn it to a dvd in Nero, if I select 'Bootable Data disc' it won't let me add the file as it is bigger than 2gb. How do I get round this? (I have burnt it to a dvd using the normal 'data disc' but that probably is no good?
2)I'm guessing I need to make a partition to install vista. Any programs I could use for free to do this? Is it safe as well? A friend was telling me it could corrupt the rest of my hard drive.

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: To simplify:

1) How do you get past the 2gb limit of Nero when burning a bootable dvd disc?
2) Any good programs to partition my hard drive with?

Tried to install, all good. Need another 160 GB to make the RAID.
Fuck if I'll upgrade, sucker's bet. Better check this until I'm sober. Aloha, brothers.

TicTac said:
Im having difficult getting Vista installed now I have downloaded the 4.1gb 64 bit .iso file:

1)When I try and burn it to a dvd in Nero, if I select 'Bootable Data disc' it won't let me add the file as it is bigger than 2gb. How do I get round this?

When using Nero, you need to "Burn an Image" to DVD - not make a bootable data disk. That will copy the image from the .iso file on to the DVD, and it will be bootable from there.

Ax

Thanks to all of you for exploring Vista and providing interesting insights and commentary on the OS. :)

if i install this on my dell 700m laptop with integrated video will i get to enjoy aeroglass and the 3d windows features? i really dont want to fug up my main box as im doing some webdesign for a friend atm.

DruSi3r said:
if i install this on my dell 700m laptop with integrated video will i get to enjoy aeroglass and the 3d windows features? i really dont want to fug up my main box as im doing some webdesign for a friend atm.
What video chipset. I installed it on my Dell Inspiron 6000 and since it only has Intel 915 for video it can't do Aero class.

well I've got it installed and since it booted up it hasn't stopped accessing the hard drive. Been 20 minutes or so (system specs in sig) went to these forums and it keeps asking me to install flash over and over even after clicking install. Back to XP!

Has anyone gotten it to work on a USB drive? I have some new drives arriving tomorrow, but I am a very imaptient person... It seems to crash during boot, both in normal and safe mode.

Also, will the vista bootloader boot XP? Or do i have to keep swapping SATA cables around?

shadowwyvern said:
Has anyone gotten it to work on a USB drive? I have some new drives arriving tomorrow, but I am a very imaptient person... It seems to crash during boot, both in normal and safe mode.

Also, will the vista bootloader boot XP? Or do i have to keep swapping SATA cables around?

The reason it doesn't work on a USB drive is that the OS "initializes" the USB bus while booting, thus disconnecting the OS drive due to the initialization. Same thing happens with Windows PE on USB thumb drives. The way to get around it is to use something like isolinux to load the .iso image of the PE setup into a ram drive and then lauch from there. as you can imagine...takes a very long time since it has to first copy the iso image...then boot from it.

the vista bootloader gives you option of "windows" or "earlier verson of windows" the latter being windows XP if you have XP and Vista both installed

Here's another dumb question. Is there a way to resize my current C partition with windows xp so that it doesn't take up the whole hard drive and then create a partition with the remaining space? What program should I use? I think this is possible because I use Acronis recovery manager and it creates a fat32 partition for its secure zone even when my original ntfs partition is taking up the whole hard drive.

silverwolf0 said:
Here's another dumb question. Is there a way to resize my current C partition with windows xp so that it doesn't take up the whole hard drive and then create a partition with the remaining space? What program should I use? I think this is possible because I use Acronis recovery manager and it creates a fat32 partition for its secure zone even when my original ntfs partition is taking up the whole hard drive.

Partition Magic can resize a partition like that. I think the linux app, qtparted, might also be able to do that. I have a Knoppix Live CD with it that I use for partitioning sometimes.

OK i need to change some drive letters and its decided to make one of my stoage drives a system drive some some resion sooo any one have an idea how to change that to i can change its drive letter?

IcedEmotion said:

Not only is it nested in the Programs menu and able to be moved back into the first page of the menu, guess what else works...

Hitting your WinKey+R will open it.

And simply typing in the program name into that "useless" search bar at the bottom of the Start menu gives you similar functionality...just type in a program name and hit Enter, and away you go...

I have Vista running on an Asus P4C800 Deluxe system with 3com 3C2000 series LAN but it won't take the XP drivers and I can't find any Vista drivers. Anyone have a link or a fix?

edit: 32 bit version

this is going to sound funny.. anyone get AOL INSTANT MESSANGER to work? (x64 version)

silverwolf0 said:
I just burned windows vista onto a dvd. What does it do when I push the install now button? Does it overwrite my existing OS or upgrade it? I want to put it on a separate partition if that is possible but I don't know how. Does the installation let you create a partition and install it separate from the windows xp OS I have already installed?.
to answer your question correctly...

when you press install it then asks what drive/partition you would like to install it on.

(yeah I was afraid as well but just closed my eyes and clicked. HAHA.)

ill try trillion when i get home tonight thanks.

HELP! guys i went to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx and i went to the download spot and i tried it.. it send me a link and i clicked the link and now all it says is....

Thank you for participating in the Microsoft Windows Vista Customer Preview Program.

You have received the maximum number of Product Keys available for this program.
Note: Windows Vista Beta 2 can be installed and activated on up to 10 PCs using with one Product Key

........ i NEVER got a key and i NEVER was told a place to download... can you guys help me so i don't have to order the DVD/CD i don't want to wait 2-4 weeks for delivery.

Malikman said:
HELP! guys i went to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx and i went to the download spot and i tried it.. it send me a link and i clicked the link and now all it says is....

Thank you for participating in the Microsoft Windows Vista Customer Preview Program.

You have received the maximum number of Product Keys available for this program.
Note: Windows Vista Beta 2 can be installed and activated on up to 10 PCs using with one Product Key

........ i NEVER got a key and i NEVER was told a place to download... can you guys help me so i don't have to order the DVD/CD i don't want to wait 2-4 weeks for delivery.

had the same problem just google Vista 2 Beta Download instead

Malikman said:

I recieved the same error.

It's really bad under VPC even with a 4800x2 and being assigned 1GB of ram. XP is VERY fast under VPC on this machine.

I think it's because there are no Vista specific VPC Additions yet.

-Larry

sitheris said:
I tried it out under VMWare workstation 5.5. It's doable - if you have patience. The install was so slow that I thought it crashed but I just let it keep running and finally it got installed after a couple hours.

Once you're logged in you can do stuff but again, it's very slow - likely due to the high graphics requirements and VMware's nonexistant 3d graphics support

has anyone tried counter-stirke source and oblivion on the windows vista beta 2 x64 version?? do they work?

hey, I fucked up my dual boot by reinstalling winxp. (HDD corruption :()

what partition does vista install itsself?

Malikman said:
is there a way to get dual boot xp and vista to work?? if so HOW?
1 - Install Windows XP onto Basic Primary partition #1
2 - Install Windows Vista onto Basic Primary partition #2 (note 2 != 1)
3 - ???
4 - Profit!

Back