Vista 64-bit SP1 OUT!

I ended up downloading the bit torrent. I'll start testing and see if everythign that was screwed up got fixed.

So far so good for me, my HDD is grinding like its going insane. I think it wiped the index database.

No Vista SP1 for x64 showing up for me yet for my Premium version. :-<

Does anyone know anything about the new audio in the SP1. I think it is called Xaudio or something. Microsoft are using it to replace the old Dsound which was removed in favor of Openal.

Anyway i would like to know :x

got pissed off with constant hard drive thrashing and jerky performance and erratic ping while playing TF2 and ended up alt tabbing to see what in the blue hell was going on and low and behold windows update had been going at it.

I did a right click > view on the update and it mentions its beta? So wasn't too sure but eventually decided to install it anyhow. Everything installed and updated OK, I've not really done any before/after testing other than continuing to play games and work with my PC, I've not seen any isses so far, but didn't have any previously...

Does anyone know anything about the new audio in the SP1. I think it is called Xaudio or something. Microsoft are using it to replace the old Dsound which was removed in favor of Openal.

Anyway i would like to know :x

I'll tell ya, it sounds darn good, especially in X-FI/EAX games.

Query:
I'm currently running 32bit Vista Business, I've heard that my Vista license counts for both 32bit and 64bit versions of the OS, is this true? And is there somewhere I can (legally) download an image of the 64bit installer? I'm planning to do some annual maintenance and reformat when SP1 hits me anyway so would be a great time to switch over (as mentioned I'm on the x86 version, so not actually here for me yet).

I downloaded yesterday from windows update. My friend however never got the notice from windows update and he has vista 64 bit on his pc and vista 32 on his laptop.

Jorge

Thanks Dekryuter.

Anyway i am using vista 64 bit ultimate. The SP1 didn't show in my update after i have updated and rebooted my pc.

This seems a bit unfair :(

You can download the IMG file from other sites and burn to dvd and run it, but it will force a clean install which is not i want.

If you have the img file on a dvd, there is no need to re-install from scratch. Just do an update.

could it also be that if you have some of those incompatible hardware or drivers then it won't show up before there's a fix for them..

Gah, Microsoft made the OEM 1.13GB download into an .img

I can't even install my Nero7 onto Vista 64-bit to burn the .img, lol.

This is getting ridiculous. I guess I have to temporarily use an XP machine to burn the image for my Vista SP1 upgrade.

Quit complaining - Download imgburn, it's free

Gah, Microsoft made the OEM 1.13GB download into an .img

I can't even install my Nero7 onto Vista 64-bit to burn the .img, lol.
Why can't you install Nero 7 on Vista x64? I have it running on all three of my Vista x64 PCs. If it is a licensing issue, there is plenty of freeware that shouls do it as well.

Why can't you install Nero 7 on Vista x64? I have it running on all three of my Vista x64 PCs. If it is a licensing issue, there is plenty of freeware that shouls do it as well.

Runs great on mine as well.. Vista x64 Home Premium

So, lets figure out what the reg key is that needs to be set to get the download. I uninstalled my beta to get this and now cant get it.

Its just plain won't install Nero 7.0233 - "This version is not compatible - etc"

I've got plenty of the old 6.6014 versions too, but I decided to just download the 15-day trial as I only need it this one time.

Its just plain won't install Nero 7.233 - "This version is not compatible - etc"

I've got plenty of the old 6.6014 versions too, but I decided to just download the 15-day trial as I only need it this one time.

Get the Nero 7 software update from here:

http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero7-update.php

I believe I had to download the latest release since the CD version was not compatible. CD key worked, but I never tried the trial version. GL

I ended up downloading the bit torrent. I'll start testing and see if everythign that was screwed up got fixed.

too risky IMO, you never know what you are going to get, i can't take that chance

I'll wait until MS releases it officially on their site or something

too risky IMO, you never know what you are going to get, i can't take that chance

I'll wait until MS releases it officially on their site or something

I wasn't able to playback video files outside of Quicktime videos. That sucks for me. Plus the earlier update screwed up Crysis.

In any case I would have reformated to fix those issues which would have been a huge pain in the ass for me right now. The SP1 install appears to have fixed all my issues so I'm good to go I think.

I think I figured out what makes SP1 show up.

It wasn't showing up on my co-workers computer so I manually installed the recalled update KB937287. After that installed I re-checked for updates and up popped SP1, didn't even have to reboot.

Tried it on one of my student tech computers and it did the same thing. :cool: It has to be a successful install, if it doesn't install correctly no SP1. Remember KB937287 was supposed to be a required update in order to be able to install SP1.

I think I figured out what makes SP1 show up.

It wasn't showing up on my co-workers computer so I manually installed the recalled update KB937287. After that installed I re-checked for updates and up popped SP1, didn't even have to reboot.

Tried it on one of my student tech computers and it did the same thing. :cool: It has to be a successful install, if it doesn't install correctly no SP1. Remember KB937287 was supposed to be a required update in order to be able to install SP1.

That is the update that fucked up my system. Even with that update I still couldn't see the SP1 update.

I got the 1.13GB .img from here:

http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?pageid=563967

If you have a passport login, there is good chance they have opened it up now. I was a little concerned that there might be extra steps (since its under the oem download) or might not work with retail, but it all seems to be working fine on my Vista Home Premium 64-bit retail lappy so far.

I believe this is the unified version (hence the ginormous 1.13GB size) which includes SP1 updates for all basic premium and ultimate versions, 32 and 64bit, and several languages.

Seems to install in three *stages*, and takes almost an hour.

If you have a passport login, there is good chance they have opened it up now. I was a little concerned that there might be extra steps (since its under the oem download) or might not work with retail, but it all seems to be working fine on my Vista Home Premium 64-bit retail lappy so far.

I believe this is the unified version (hence the ginormous 1.13GB size) which includes SP1 updates for all basic premium and ultimate versions, 32 and 64bit, and several languages.

I've got the stand alone update which is around 730MB I think and takes the same amount of time to install. 3 different stages as well here. Mine also needed to install a prerequisite update prior which caused me to have to go through an extra reboot. So it took four reboots to get it installed on my box.

Has anyone identified anything in this new service pack that would be tripping my campus network's scanning for Bittorrents? I've been on campus since August with 0 problems, and since I've installed Vista SP1 yesterday, I've been banned twice.

Granted, I had utorrent on my computer since August as well...and the lady at the help desk said that just having it on my computer would trip the scanner, but, then again, it's been on there since August. Seems like it would have picked it up way back when in August.

Anyways...so I was unbanned yesterday around 5 pm. This morning, I was on the network, just checking my emails and whatnot and I got banned again around 9 am, without even doing a download or anything.

So, any help would be appreciated...if it can be given?

I checked last night around 1AM and it wasn't available for download for my Vista 64 box. I was reading a few bulletins on technet and saw all the security software broken by it. I think I'll wait.

grabbing this now and will try it tonight...where do i get the 730mb standalone from? also, reading through the page that has the sp1 img download says something about the OEM pre-installation kit....whats that all about? you can't just install the update off the disc, or is it simply for slipstreaming the SP1 update into the vista install?

Its just plain won't install Nero 7.0233 - "This version is not compatible - etc"
That's a very old version. Assuming you have a legitimate key, you should have always been going to Nero's website for either the update or the latest trial...depending on if it was already installed on your system, or you had a fresh install that needs Nero. You download the latest one and use your key. It's been that way since Nero 5, when I started using Nero.

All is good for me on sp1 x64. Seems it didn't hose my box, always a surprise when M$ gets it right frist time, especially for us 64bit guys.

Back