Vista 64-bit SP1 OUT!

Microsoft Pulled out SP1, due to some programs incompatibility. It will be available to public when all issues will be resolved. :mad:

Who cares. It will be the same release anyways, its just a matter of time till they will make widely available.

got it up and running with the link from ZenOps. burned the img file, installed in about 25 minutes

I just used the img file and got it up and installed. So far so good. Lot of HD thrashing going on tho, so it must have cleared the usage index

To those downloading it from the OEM site, do you work for an OEM or how did you register?

If you would read the thread you would have noticed that the Windows/Microsoft Update was posted in error and was only available for download for a short time yesterday. It is still available from mirrors, but you will have to jump through a few hoops to DL and install. It will be released to the general public in a couple of weeks.

To those downloading it from the OEM site, do you work for an OEM or how did you register?

My company is a MS Certified Partner, so yeah, I have access. If it weren't 1.13GB, then I'd see about distribution...

I've now installed it on my HTPC, Vista Premium x86 an AMD 3800+, 2GB DDR2-800, and a 500GB Samsung drive. Took ~45 minutes to install, and I don't see any difference. Then again, I only use it for VMC, so YMMV.

I snagged it off the OEM site as well and I didn't have any luck getting it installed. It would go through the whole spiel and at the end would say it couldn't install and was going through the process of uninstalling it. I was rather annoyed at this. There were no other updates or anything like that either so I'm not sure what was going on.

I'm not going to worry about it now since Vista is just a secondary OS I keep for messing around with. I might try another time when I have 40 minutes to waste for the install/uninstall deal.

Got it from the link ZenOps provided (thank you btw). Did a clean install. All went fine.

Strange - now my HTPC with SP1 (Vista Prem x86) now reports to WHS backups as "Windows Server Longhorn Home Premium Edition".

I'm hoping it is a bug in WHS, and not in SP1

EDIT: Image

Strange - now my HTPC with SP1 (Vista Prem x86) now reports to WHS backups as "Windows Server Longhorn Home Premium Edition".

I'm hoping it is a bug in WHS, and not in SP1

Maybe its misreading because they share the same kernel now?

Steaming pile of crap...

Installing SP1 provoked the worst computer crash I have ever had to deal with. It failed to properly install, exiting the installation and trying to start the PC before it was fully installed, provoking BSoD's. I then had to start it in Safe Mode, which then seemed to let it resume its installation. Apparently, even when it said it had fully installed, it had not, provoking more BSoD's (note that these came before Vista even loaded) until I once again booted it in Safe Mode, whence it informed me that Vista SP1 did not install properly and it was going to have to remove it. Repeat basically the same crap that went on with the actual installation and the same result. So then I decided it was time for a Repair Install. After spending forever trying to figure out how to boot from the disc without using the BIOS, I resorted to using the BIOS to do so... I then attempted to utilize the many repair functions that Vista provides on the disc. All of those failed. So I finally just reinstalled Vista and luckily it has my files in an "Old" folder as it did with my XP files when I initially upgraded to Vista. I have had zero problems with Vista until this...

I'll think I'll wait until Microsoft feels that it is ready for general distribution and comes straight from Windows Update. I have too many computers to fix if it screws up on install.

My company is a MS Certified Partner, so yeah, I have access. If it weren't 1.13GB, then I'd see about distribution...

I've now installed it on my HTPC, Vista Premium x86 an AMD 3800+, 2GB DDR2-800, and a 500GB Samsung drive. Took ~45 minutes to install, and I don't see any difference. Then again, I only use it for VMC, so YMMV.

I'm pulling it down now from the licensing site, it's listed under Vista Business if you have access, not under software assurance. Getting 600+ kb/s though, so it's not too bad. I'm just going to burn the iso to a dvd and update my home boxes manually.

I'm pulling it down now from the licensing site, it's listed under Vista Business if you have access, not under software assurance. Getting 600+ kb/s though, so it's not too bad. I'm just going to burn the iso to a dvd and update my home boxes manually.

Lucky you. Mine maxed at 60 KBps, and took almost 6 hours

I installed SP1 via windows update and I can no longer play DiRT at the settings that I am used to WTF

Lucky you. Mine maxed at 60 KBps, and took almost 6 hours

Damn, it actually sped up some, had the iso in less then 20 min, guess comcast isn't that bad...

Installing it on a my wifes M1330 now, Home Premium 32-bit, try an enterprise x64 pc next.

Weird, my copy just asked me to activate it again, even though I've had it installed for 6 months... I didn't change hardware or anything. Just installed SP1 2 days ago.

Thanks! I almost forgot that my current employer participates in Microsoft partner program so I added myself to their list and I am currently downloading SP1. :)
I got SP1 from the MS OEM Partner link, in a post futher back in this thread.

On box in sig, took 35 minutes. Everything feels a little snappier so far, even without Superfetch tuned yet. I'll try it on my HTPC next (Vista Premium x86)

EDIT: Link, thanks to ZenOps, post 192
http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?pageid=563967

Well, I'm going on two days of watching this thread and other sites talk about SP1 and I have yet to get any of my computers to show it. I have two Vista computers in my home network (both 64bit, one Ultimate and one Business) and one work laptop (also Business). Two have seen the prerequisite patches (the work one has not yet) but still no SP1 showing up.

It's sorta killing me, because I have been waiting for months to find out if SP1 will solve my horrible network speeds or not. These last couple days seem like months them selves :)

Could those who have gotten the SP1 img through proper channel post an MD5 for the file?

Could those who have gotten the SP1 img through proper channel post an MD5 for the file?

SW_DVD5_Windows_Vista_EN_FR_DE_JA_ES_1_Patch_SP1_Wave0_X14-38128.iso is the name of the file. No md5 came with it. If you're using a .img file, then it's not the same one.

From the OEM site

MD5: 9fb0bd08993ee27ad594ae752f46f5df
File Name: 6001.18000.080118-1840_iso_client_sp_wave0-frmcsp0_dvd.img

From the OEM site

MD5: 9fb0bd08993ee27ad594ae752f46f5df
File Name: 6001.18000.080118-1840_iso_client_sp_wave0-frmcsp0_dvd.img

Thanks, there are several seeds up on bittorrent and I just wanted something to compare against so I didn't get owned by some spyware slipped in :eek:

Thanks, there are several seeds up on bittorrent and I just wanted something to compare against so I didn't get owned by some spyware slipped in :eek:

You're just as liable to get owned by the real SP1 itself, lol.

Microsoft opened the door on this one and put it out in the wild so I see no problem with finding it on the internet from mirrors and downloading. MS may still have a few tweaks left up their sleeve before general release so personally I choose to wait a couple of weeks for the idiot proof version. I've run all of the versions so far to date without major problems and I only want to do this one last time, so March release date it is. :)

Is it against the rules to talk about the torrent of this update?

I agree with MajorDomo.

It's easy to get worked up over stuff like this, but in reality, well... now that I have it, not really seeing anything significantly different. I mean, ya, I'm stable. I was stable before I got it... so.. go figure.

And after running the various release candidates, to have to uninstall etc.. well.. blah. I got a legit final version this week from work. But in the end, its only a SP; it doesn't revolutionize the OS.

omfgz! LOL

Right after I posted this I BSOD! :mad: :confused: :eek: :mad:

Nvidia driver - nvdklm grrrr

well...heh we'll see how this goes! *weeps* I had been stable, I swear.... roflmao :(

Got it off a torrent, was getting 500+ Kbps :) I was waiting for this to do a fresh install. I'm a little OCD and like everything installed in a certain way. md5 checked out on the download and install went through with no issues.

I signed up at the oem partner site and am downloading sp1 now. It's the same listed for the torrent. It's free to sign up. Just sign yourself up as a single entity business. If you bought and installed an OEM copy, you are a system builder.

Back