ViewSonic VP2770: 2560x1440 Semi-Glossy PLS

I have a question about the panel on the vp2770 for anybody that might be around:

http://imgur.com/jwT91Am
(sorry about picture quality, but I am using a cheap digital camera that I don't really understand how to use)

On a black screen, I can see horizontal lines that seem to cover the entire panel. My poorly taken picture might make those horizontal lines seem like artefacts from overexposure, but that's essentially what I see on the panel. They kind of look like static scanlines.

They are most visible on a black screen, but even on dark greys (like the background of hardforum) they kind of look like a static filter over the whole screen.

Is this normal, or does my panel have a problem?

(There's also some light backlight bleeding on the bottom that isn't very noticeable unless viewed up close. It's slightly visible in the middle of that picture above.)

Edit: If it matters, I tried over DVI, DP, and HDMI and the different interfaces didn't seem to make a difference.

I currently have the monitor connected via DVI, and I believe I took the picture after I settled on DVI.

Using DVI because I hooked back up my other monitor (dell u2713hm) with DP.

I don't believe it's a problem with the graphics card (290x) because those lines don't appear on the dell.

Last edited:
A bunch of the AH-IPS reviewed by =DEAD= (overclock.ru) recently had similar issues. It's not something I have seen before...bet Viewsonic is using both AH-IPS and PLS or started using (cheaper?) AH-IPS panels now. You should email Viewsonic and return or exchange it.

Last edited:
I really want to thank NCX and everyone giving opinions and insite on this monitor vp2770.
Great youtube videos too by NCX. I originally got the Samsung S27C750P for 379.99 because of the awesome black levels and zero backlight bleed. I tried a Sony va 32 in tv too the KDL-32W650A. both great black levels and even backlight but the gamma shift ncx showed on the Samsung I really was missing a lot of black details, black crush on the VA panels, just didn't like the look of them plus 1080p at 32 in or 27 inch isn't that great. I played a lot of games over again and I can see so much more shadow detail with the vp2770 then the VA monitors,
I won the panel lottery today lol, craigslist, perfect condition Viewsonic VP2770 backlight looks pretty good and no dead pixels. I got the box all cables and paperwork never even opened she had mac so bought and used her own cable. They wanted 500 but I got it for 460. I almost went with the asus PB278Q for 549.99 bestbuy.com brand spanking new but glad I saw this. I drove from St pete fl to Orlando fl to get it 108 miles each way lol, good deal for 460 though. manufacture date 5/31/13 so not bad at all. I had the dell 2713hm for a few months but cross hatching terrible and bad backlight bleed sold it for 400 cash on craigslist a couple weeks ago,

note to everyone: Best Buy blacklisted me on returns lol, it printed out a receipt saying no returns for 90 days after this one, I returned a bunch of monitors and tvs they just weren't that great, it sucks best buy doesn't stock the high end high res monitors I hate ordering stuff online and waiting lol, just a heads up to anyone that buys from best buy, doesn't matter anyways found my monitor

Depending on your GPU and drivers, setting HDMI Black Level to low can cause your color range to compress significantly resulting in uniform black crush throughout the screen.

The VA "black crush" effect is just a byproduct of the gamma shift. All the color/luminosity information is still there. The effect can be worked around by calibrating your gamma to reach a compromise where you keep strong contrast but don't get significant black crush in the center of your viewing cone. I own the monitor and it's really almost a non-issue for me. Black crush and "VA glow" look more exaggerated in photos than they are in real life. That said, VA black levels can look a bit exaggerated in photos too. It's hardly all jet black in reality, it only looks that way in brightly lit rooms. As long as there's a backlight involved, you'll never really get perfect blacks.

A bunch of the AH-IPS reviewed by =DEAD= (overclock.ru) recently had similar issues. It's not something I have seen before...bet Viewsonic is using both AH-IPS and PLS or started using (cheaper?) AH-IPS panels now. You should email Viewsonic and return or exchange it.

I will be returning it soon; it's raining over here right now and I'd rather not take the monitor back while it's raining.

Checking the service menu, the panel is still a Samsung ltm270dl02 so I don't think it's the same as what's going on with =DEAD='s AH-IPS panels, assuming the information in the service menu is accurate. Also, the AH-IPS panels seem to have vertical banding rather than the horizontal banding mine is exhibiting.

A picture from one of =DEAD='s reviews for reference:
http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2013/06/25/1/76_black_problem_big.jpg

The lines on this vp2770 are more like the lines that were seen on the asus vg23ah
mentioned by users in this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1701734

The vp2770 lines are not as small though. I think the vg23ah had every other line (so 540 out of 1080) be slightly off because of how it was polarised for passive 3d viewing, but the lines on this vp2770 are thicker and clearly not from every other line since the monitor has 1440 horizontal lines. It's also not a strong obscuring grey like it seems to be with the vg23ah, but more like a slight filter over the whole screen. I tested with Nolan's third Batman film (not that I particularly like the movie, but it's what I use to test accuracy of darker colors) and in darker scenes the lines kind of create a stepping effect in gradients. Not actual banding like you might see in smooth gradients on TN panels, but just a slight disconnect within gradients from the slight alteration of darker and lighter hues that correspond to where those lines are. I would take a picture, but I couldn't seem to capture it with my cheap Nikon camera.

This camera, if anybody might have any advice for me on how to use it:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pr...pact-Digital-Cameras/26315/COOLPIX-S9300.html

As for overall impressions, I would say the vp2770, out of the box and uncalibrated, has better colors than the u2713hm and the bl2710pt. The only adjustments made are to user color settings (rgb 98-100-88) for a more comfortable white point. Relative to the u2713hm, the vp2770 seems less saturated but more accurate, and the contrast ratio seems better with a brighter more neutral white at similar black levels. I don't know how it compares to the bl2710pt, but since I remember it being relatively similar to the u2713hm, I would think the vp2770 is probably better than both. Also unlike the bl2710pt, there is no noticeable banding on a greyscale gradient out of the box.
I should clarify that the user color settings on the vp2770 should make colors warmer than 6500k, though I don't have anything around to measure it. When I said that it looks more neutral than the u2713hm, I meant that it has less of a green tint over whites.

I'm leaning towards the benq now as a final purchase, because the color differences are negligible enough that the 1:1 pixel mapping option might be a good reason to go with benq over the vp2770.

Last edited:
Question for any owners of this monitor, rather than starting a new thread :

Does anyone have any idea why I can't seem to raise the display? Instructions say to hold the screen by the edges and pull up/push down as required. Well, it pushed down a little, then seemed to 'click' and now it won't budge.

Tried holding down on the base and lifting the screen, won't move. I remember on my old HP screen you had to push in a little button, then pull/push the display to adjust the height, but there's no mention or sign of anything like this on the vp2770.

I can rotate the screen, so there's movement, I just don't want to try too hard and break something!

Pull the metal pin in the back out.

IAlso, the AH-IPS panels seem to have vertical banding rather than the horizontal banding mine is exhibiting.

My bad, I did type similar though :)

Last edited:
Bit confused; but let me see if I understand - the new vp2770 has a different panel so there is now banding - so wouldn't that make the benq the better option ?

Bit confused; but let me see if I understand - the new vp2770 has a different panel so there is now banding - so wouldn't that make the benq the better option ?

From what I'm reading in this thread, the horizontal lines were likely just a bad panel or bad batch of panels. When that person checked the service menu, it was still using the same panel as the VP2770 always used. It also didn't appear to be banding, more like a defect that was causing horizontal lines to appear on a dark screen.

With any monitor you can get one that is defective. If you start seeing a series of panels with this issue then there may be a concern, but just one is likely to just be a single defective unit.

As far as the VP2770 vs the BL2710PT? From everything I've read they are very similar. NCX seemed to like both of them. I'm also deciding between these two monitors and I'm likely to just pick one. If I get a bad one, I'll exchange it.

Last edited:
Recent Qnix QX2710 SE (PLS) owners have also reported the same thing, it seems IPS have vertical lines while PLS suffer from horizontal lines.

Self-Plagiarism: The Viewsonic VP2770 has slightly better color presets, a better stand and is more aesthetically pleasing in terms of design (imo), while the BenQ supports judder free Blu-Ray playback over HDMI 1080p@24hz, is cheaper and has better sRGB color space coverage and color accuracy when using the Standard mode and Gamma 2. Those who do not intend on connecting an external blu-ray player via HDMI may want to consider the Viewsonic VP2770 since it offers very similar performance and is more aesthetically pleasing (imo).

PS, my essentially perfect BL2710PT is still for sale...or take a chance buying a new one. The Viewsonic costs 876$ from Amazon Canada (only Canadian retailer selling it which has a hassle free return and exchange policy) now vs. 630$ (with Express Coverage) for the BenQ from NCIX.

Qnix is now selling the QX2710 DPMulti True10 which uses an AHVA panel and is Flicker Free.

Recent Qnix QX2710 SE (PLS) owners have also reported the same thing, it seems IPS have vertical lines while PLS suffer from horizontal lines.

Self-Plagiarism: The Viewsonic VP2770 has slightly better color presets, a better stand and is more aesthetically pleasing in terms of design (imo), while the BenQ supports judder free Blu-Ray playback over HDMI 1080p@24hz, is cheaper and has better sRGB color space coverage and color accuracy when using the Standard mode and Gamma 2. Those who do not intend on connecting an external blu-ray player via HDMI may want to consider the Viewsonic VP2770 since it offers very similar performance and is more aesthetically pleasing (imo).

PS, my essentially perfect BL2710PT is still for sale...or take a chance buying a new one. The Viewsonic costs 876$ from Amazon Canada (only Canadian retailer selling it which has a hassle free return and exchange policy) now vs. 630$ (with Express Coverage) for the BenQ from NCIX.

Qnix is now selling the QX2710 DPMulti True10 which uses an AHVA panel and is Flicker Free.

Do you know if all the current PLS panels are showing horizontal lines? Or are some people still getting panels that do not show this issue? Trying to determine if it is a bad batch or if they are all going to exhibit this issue. Strange that the AH-IPS panels are also showing a similar issue, just the other direction. Which monitors with AH-IPS panels have shown the vertical line issue, out of curiosity?

I'm leaning towards the Viewsonic because I have no intention of hooking anything up except two computers. I like the look of the stand and the display. I have a gift card to a store that offers no hassle returns, so if it doesn't turn out I can try the BenQ.

Do you know if all the current PLS panels are showing horizontal lines?.

Maybe, that's an extremely broad question which would require one to sift through recent customer reviews from many websites and forums. As far as I know, only recent Qnix QX2710 buyers from this OC.net thread and Kenox have received PLS panels with horizontal lines.

You can browse through overclock.ru's recent reviews if you want to see which AH-IPS have the vertical line issue.

Maybe, that's an extremely broad question which would require one to sift through recent customer reviews from many websites and forums. As far as I know, only recent Qnix QX2710 buyers from this OC.net thread and Kenox have received PLS panels with horizontal lines.

You can browse through overclock.ru's recent reviews if you want to see which AH-IPS have the vertical line issue.

I just searched that thread real quick and the picture in this post is pretty much the exact same problem I had, but with a much better picture.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/...-monitor-club-qnix-x-star/13860#post_21787784

I didn't realize it's a known problem with some of the PLS panels. Based on the lack of reports from other users on the vp2770, I had assumed mine was just an isolated case. Other people having the problem makes me think it's probably a problem with a certain batch that got out of QC unnoticed. I didn't read through the rest of that thread yet, but my vp2770's label said it was made in November 2013 if anyone wants to do some research and see if the other reports are also from monitors made around that time. (I don't remember the exact date, but the first digit was 1 and I feel like it said November 18.)

I just searched that thread real quick and the picture in this post is pretty much the exact same problem I had, but with a much better picture.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/...-monitor-club-qnix-x-star/13860#post_21787784

I didn't realize it's a known problem with some of the PLS panels. Based on the lack of reports from other users on the vp2770, I had assumed mine was just an isolated case. Other people having the problem makes me think it's probably a problem with a certain batch that got out of QC unnoticed. I didn't read through the rest of that thread yet, but my vp2770's label said it was made in November 2013 if anyone wants to do some research and see if the other reports are also from monitors made around that time. (I don't remember the exact date, but the first digit was 1 and I feel like it said November 18.)

Kenox, you are the only user I've heard about so far that has had the horizontal line issue with the VP2770. Besides the monitor NCX mentioned, I haven't heard about any other PLS monitors having the issue either. Are you getting a replacement? I was hoping to see if a new VP2770 might be free of the banding. I'm guessing just a few made it through QC and they may have already corrected the issue.

Is it possible to not notice the banding or will it be obvious? I'm still thinking of getting one of these as it seems to fit the bill for everything I want in a monitor, I just want to be sure if it has the banding I'll notice right away so I can exchange it.

Last edited:
Are these lines similar to the lines that sony triniton had (black wires that ran horizontal - 2 or 3 depending on screen size).

Kenox, you are the only user I've heard about so far that has had the horizontal line issue with the VP2770. Besides the monitor NCX mentioned, I haven't heard about any other PLS monitors having the issue either. Are you getting a replacement? I was hoping to see if a new VP2770 might be free of the banding. I'm guessing just a few made it through QC and they may have already corrected the issue.

Is it possible to not notice the banding or will it be obvious? I'm still thinking of getting one of these as it seems to fit the bill for everything I want in a monitor, I just want to be sure if it has the banding I'll notice right away so I can exchange it.

It's fairly obvious on a black screen, but I'm not getting a replacement. I'm thinking about getting a monitor that has 1:1 pixel mapping now, though I'm still undecided on what to get.

Only the BL2710PT & PB278Q have pixel mapping. There is also the EV2736W and my BenQ is still available, or keep exchanging monitors...

Last edited:
Only the BL2710PT & PB278Q have pixel mapping. There is also the EV2736W and my BenQ is still available, or keep exchanging monitors...

I'm thinking of maybe a NEC model. More expensive, but I would hope that the extra cost results in better QC and less need for exchanges.

You would rather buy an IPS with glow and possible cross-hatching over the glow free Eizo?

I always forget why I didn't consider the Eizo, but I checked again and the Eizo doesn't have a HDMI port. I rarely connect consoles, but I like having the option. That's the main reason for 1:1 pixelmapping anyway, since I can use GPU scaling if I want to watch letterboxed videos from my desktop.

It can be connected with a cheap dvi-hdmi adapter/cord.

I hadn't thought of that. Sound might still be a problem though if the console doesn't have any other digital audio out besides over HDMI.

There are plenty of ways to send audio from a console, most of which are listed in the Xbox and ps3 portions of my reviews on WCG.

I'm thinking specifically of a much less common, much less user-friendly console that happens to use HDMI.

You can probably guess which one, since there's only one other major player in that market aside from Microsoft and Sony.

On an unrelated note, DST just started here for the Pacific timezone and the timestamps threw me off for a bit.

Using the old Wii component cables slipped my mind as well, so I will consider trying out the ev2736 when I look into purchasing a monitor again. I'm going to stop the search for a month or two because of other obligations that are taking up more of my time.

Might you know of any retailers with good return policies that might carry the ev2736 at a decent price? I would prefer to buy from a retailer with a physical store that I could return the monitor to if any problems come up within the first few days, but the usual retailers I can think of (just Best Buy and office supply stores like Staples or Office Depot) don't carry it. As for online-only retailers, I'm not familiar with most of them and how prompt they are with handling returns. The only online retailers I have a lot of experience with are Amazon and Newegg, though I did order from NCIX once a few months ago.

I'm in Los Angeles county, but I would think most online retailers that service Canada are usually open to sales to the United States as well.

Last edited:
No Canadian retailers with good return policies carry the EV2736W but B & H (lowest price) & Amazon US have good return policies which you can look up.

Last edited:
Amazon doesn't have the EV2736W; just sellers using amazon so i don't think you get amazon's great return policy on this monitor.

Can't find the monitor on b&h either :) Oh. Have to add FS (EV2736WFS) to find it on b&h. $850 vs 700 for the vp2770 vs $600 for the benq.
-
No clue how EV2736W differs from EV2736WFS

No Canadian retailers with good return policies carry the EV2736W but B & H (lowest price) & Amazon US have good return policies which you can look up.

I really like B&H and I have a gift card with them so that's the seller I will likely use. I'm hoping to order in the next week or so.

I was originally looking at $300 24-inch monitors, but decided to increase my budget as much as I could to incorporate some of the 1440p screens, but the most I can possibly spend is $700 (and that is already a stretch for me). For me this put the Viewsonic ($700) as my top choice, followed by the BenQ ($600). I really like the look of the Viewsonic, my only hope is that it won't have issues with banding that has been seen on some recent PLS panels.

The NEC is an interesting alternative. Its always nice to see another 1440p option. However, without any reviews and the fact that it is still $50 above my price range means I probably won't try it. Plus the use of an AH-IPS screen indicates there may be cross-hatching issues. The Eizo looks nice, I just can't spend that much unfortunately. The Viewsonic is already a big budget stretch for me at $700.

Last edited:
Amazon doesn't have the EV2736W; just sellers using amazon so i don't think you get amazon's great return policy on this monitor.

Can't find the monitor on b&h either :) Oh. Have to add FS (EV2736WFS) to find it on b&h. $850 vs 700 for the vp2770 vs $600 for the benq.
-

I'm pretty sure the "FS" just means it has a more adjustable stand. The panel is the same.

Hey guys,
I just received my two vp2770 and I am a little disappointed about the backlight bleed / IPS glow.
I took a picture of each on 100% brightness (30% brightness has the same effect, it is just overall a little darker):

Is this normal?!

Hey guys,
I just received my two vp2770 and I am a little disappointed about the backlight bleed / IPS glow.
I took a picture of each on 100% brightness (30% brightness has the same effect, it is just overall a little darker):

Is this normal?!
It is hard to tell from this image because it seems over exposed, but I'm no expert. Other forum members may be able to give you better advice than I.

Do you notice any horizontal banding on black backgrounds? There were a few panels that showed this flaw and I was wondering if you noticed anything.

So if I gather everything I've seen from everyone: If someone really wants 27 inch IPS with a gaming bent, this Eizo seems to be "the one" at least for now. Do I gather that correctly?

So if I gather everything I've seen from everyone: If someone really wants 27 inch IPS with a gaming bent, this Eizo seems to be "the one" at least for now. Do I gather that correctly?

Gosh, I really like Eizo a lot even though they've sent me through hell looking for a decent sample of the model I wanted from them... but no I really don't think I'd quite figure the 2736w on the gaming bent so much... it's super expensive and very nice and all... (unless you get a bad one lol) but it's 60Hz and not particularly got good pixel response, just average low.

If you really want a 27" 1440p "gaming" monitor and you can't wait to see the asus rog fail or not whenever it decides to pop along, I'd go for a cheap Korean OC. Pretty much same thing as IPS... PLS maybe even slightly nicer.

It is hard to tell from this image because it seems over exposed, but I'm no expert. Other forum members may be able to give you better advice than I.

Do you notice any horizontal banding on black backgrounds? There were a few panels that showed this flaw and I was wondering if you noticed anything.

It is definitely overexposed, but if it was correctly exposed, the corners would be visible just the same. They move when I move my head, so I believe it is rather IPS glow than backlight bleeding if I understood that right.
So I'm wondering if there is someone who has better results on their Viewsonics? I believe I read that some don't have "any backlight / ips glow"...

I haven't noticed anything unusual on black backgrounds.

It is definitely overexposed, but if it was correctly exposed, the corners would be visible just the same. They move when I move my head, so I believe it is rather IPS glow than backlight bleeding if I understood that right.
So I'm wondering if there is someone who has better results on their Viewsonics? I believe I read that some don't have "any backlight / ips glow"...

I haven't noticed anything unusual on black backgrounds.

My understanding is that the Viewsonic has the standard amount of IPS glow that other IPS monitors have. The exception seems to be the Eizo EV2736WFS where some users have reported very little glow. I do not yet own a 1440p IPS (I'm hoping to order soon) so I can't tell you if this is typical glow or not. I plan to sit back at least 3 feet from my monitor so I'm hoping that will reduce the affect of any IPS glow.

NCX has some good summary information here somewhere about the Eizo EV2736W, Viewsonic VP2770, and the BenQ BL2710PT. If I recall, all three are pretty good for gaming (as much as these 1440p multi-input IPS screens can be). The advantage the Eizo has is that users have sometimes reported much less IPS glow. I think as far as pixel response and input lag all three are very similar, maybe slight edge to the VP2770 and the BL2710PT but I'm not really sure.

Back