Asus VG23AH: The 1st Semi-Glossy IPS Panel?

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
It seems the Asus VG23AH is the worlds first, widely-available semi-glossy IPS panel....obviously some one has been listening to consumers.....and so far it is getting mostly positive reviews :thumb:

Video Review Part 1
Video Review Part 2

Click here for my Written Review

Now that I have one I can confirm that it is indeed semi-glossy, but the semi-glossy coating the Asus VG23AH uses is truly semi-glossy while it would be more accurate to call the coating the Samsung PLS displays use semi-matte. The Asus is a bit more reflective, the coating looks the same as the coating you would find on some TV's.

At first I thought the coating was more noticeable, but really it's just because it is a bit different compared to the coating on my Samsung S27A850D.

THE ASUS VG23AH SUPPORTS 72/75/76HZ OVER DVI & HDMI

Click here for the custom timings

Unboxing Video

Here is the Asus, uncalibrated next to a calibrated Samsung S27A850D.

Why should you care if it is semi-glossy? Because 99% of IPS panels use a very grainy matte coating which reduces sharpness/clarity of text (slightly, text is the worst on matte1440p displays), and replaces the vibrancy of whites+light colours a with a sparkly/crystal/grain effect.

23_kristaleffect_big.jpg

In the above image the IPS235, L2452P, VX23336S, HS244HQ, L2440P, PA241W and ZR2440W all use LG's matte coating which is why the pixels look so blurry. The Samsung S24A850DW's coating is similar to the Asus VG23AH's coating, which is why the pixels look clearer than the previously mentioned panels. The S24A350T, FP241W and X24272 are VA panels, which is why the pixels look different & they also use semi-glossy coating. The 27Q LED-P is glossy and the NBX201i is a TN panel from a laptop with lighter coating. The XL2420T uses medium anti-glare coating, similar to what you would find on most Samsung TN panels, in practice it is noticeably lighter than the coating IPS panels use, but it still degrades the image quality.

3D Visions Blog Review
Cnet's Review

Passive 3D=1920x540 Resolution

It supports Passive 3D natively (1920x540p), not Active 3D/Nvidia 3D=1920x1080p @60hz. Nvidia 3D Vision=1080p and 60hz per eye. The passive 3D on the Asus does work @72-76hz!. For example I was playing Left 4 Dead 2 @72hz with the 3D enabled.

Passive 3D does not look as sharp/crisp/clear, but since the Asus uses an IPS panel with semi-glossy coating the image quality and viewing angles are much better than any 3D TN.

Click on the above.

Click on the Below Image for the Proper Tri-Def Settings. The Line Interlaced Mode MUST BE USED.

Tri-Def3DSettings.png

Tri-Def 3D allows a free 14-day trial and costs 50$ to purchase.

3D blu rays are supported by Cyberlink DVD, just make sure to select the Side-By-Side mode in the menus.

Lastly, my reaction

whoa2.jpg

Whoa.jpg

keaunu.jpeg

Last edited:
O M G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now give me that semi-glossy 24 inch 1920x1200 CCFL/RGB LED, with 5 ms GTG and I am SOLD.

Last edited:
1920x1200 hahahohoha

It is 2012, not 2007.

Still here, I see. Shame you're still intent on mocking anyone who doesn't like 16:9 as much as you apparently do.

Anyway, you may not have realised, but you can fit a 1920x1080 image onto a 1920x1200 screen. It's.... magic!

An affordable 1200p screen with 1:1 mapping would let you enjoy your 16:9 content whilst having 120px more desktop height.

Sadly, the future (which is obviously 16:9 now), also looks like abandoning all these useful little functions in the never ending quest to lower manufacturing costs. That's what 16:9 is about. That's what dropping 1:1 mapping is about (thanks, Dell).

It's not progress. It's economics.

But there will always be clever marketeers out to convince the masses that 1080p is a "new and improved" 1200p ("it's a multimedia entertainment display now!"). Or how WLED edge-backlit gives a better picture; how eIPS is "better" than S-IPS.

What ever happened to the ASUS VA278Q 27" IPS display? And is it semi-glossy? Otherwise for 27" 2560x1440 it seems the only good options are still limited to the Apple LED Cinema Display 27" and Korean displays.

Ooh... nice. I've wondered for ages why no manufacturers, especially the smaller ones who don't cater primarily to just business users, don't simply release some glossy or semiglossy IPS screens. Maybe some companies are realizing they can get a niche market all to themselves.

I suppose Oled is a 16:9 troll or something, as it's silly to think it's better than 16:10. As already stated, 1920x1080 can fit in a 1920x1200 display, and then you can have the extra pixels when doing non-gaming stuff. There is also the simple fact that not everyone uses a computer monitor for gaming or watching movies. I'd be fine with a 4:3 display, myself. Progress isn't always marked by technological advances, as mentioned by k9wazere above... it's by what makes manufacturers the most money.

24", semiglossy, 16:10, CCFL would be my wish too. Probably best we'll maybe get is 24" semiglossy IPS LED from someone, but at least this 23"er is a move in the right direction.

Edit: And I see they are marketing it as a 3D monitor w/ 80,000,000:1 contrast. So maybe I am falsely getting my hopes up. I'm not sure if monitor makers are necessarily listening to consumers, but instead trying to sell this monitor on what I would consider a gimmick.

Last edited:
Any game that you walk in a 3d world, will be unpleasant on a 1080p monitor compared to a 1200p.
Simply by the fact that you want to see as much vertically as you do horizontally. However, if the game developers would allow you to see much more horizontally which will automatically by aspect ratio will show more vertically, then I wouldn't mind so much about it.
But coming up with this "less screen for same money" solution just cause they took advantage of the fact that most movies have the top and the bottom blacked out, is just showing how easily influenced ppl are.

Active 3D makes up for the size limitation in terms of immersion IMO, but passive 3D is a different story since it runs @1920x540p.

According to DigitalVersus you have to sit 90-130cm away from the LG D2342 for 3D and set it up at the perfect height so you get the full 3D effect

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/lg-flatron-d2342-p11721/test.html

90-130cm is too large a distance for a 23" to be remotely enjoyable, especially since you can sit 1.5ft from an Active 3D 23" and get the full 3D effect. At that distance it would be much harder to see the effect of the lower resolution.

Still this Asus should be a good alternative to the U2312 for gamers and will likely have very fast response times like the ML239H.

Is there a 24 inch screen from Asus or any other company announced for this year and that has a chance of getting semi-glossy coating?

Is it 8-bit and does it have overdrive? The new LG IPS7 23 inch screen should be 8-bit.

Last edited:
Would love if this would come in a 24inch version.

So did anyone test it out yet? How is input lag? Colors? :)

Can I use this monitor to play nvidia 3d vision supported games?

Last edited:
I haven't started my review yet, still messing around and I've been having GPU issues. Setting up the 3D with PC games is a pain. It does not support Nvidia 3D, it might with the edid hack though. It needs the tri-def 3D software which only allows for a 14 day trial, other wise it is 40$. Refer to my first post for links to my videos which have the colour information.

The 3D works great with consoles though, and the 2D-3D Conversion is amazing. It also supports 72/75/76hz with ToastyX's custom timings here:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036906464&postcount=38

I doubt it is 8 bit, but the FRC is great, there is no banding compared to my calibrated Samsung S27A850D. It has 6 Trace Free (Over Drive) options. Trace Free 40 is the best, I won't say it is ghosting free since only Samsung's 120hz displays seem capable of being ghosting free @60 &120hz. The default of 60 produces a tincy bit over overshoot in 2D. It's faster than the Asus PA238Q I had which is one of the fastest IPS panels, it has just as low input too. The Trace Free needs to be set to 0 to prevent ghosting when 2D-3D Conversion or Side-By-Side 3D is enabled.

Last edited:
When you say it's "fast" are you refering to ghosting or the speed "movement feel" of the monitor?

Because on some monitors games feel sluggish and slow like they arent fast enough or something. Is that because of the input lag or other factors? :)

It seems to be a grear display. Though, since I have Fujitsu P23T-6P IPS there is not much point in changing (exploiting a bug to get overdrive working is a bit pita but manageable). If I had to buy one now, this would be great. I wait for 3840x2160 monitors and then upgrade.

Thanks NCX. Probably wouldn't have heard about this for quite awhile if it wasn't for you.

Yea and it's the only one with semi glossy panel :)

Just curious if this one is faster than the Dell U2412M. When i compared U2312HM and U2412M the U2312HM was a lot faster at least it felt like it.

Hey NCX do you maybe know how is the quality control on these?

I meant in terms of responsivness. It just felt snappier and more responsive and felt like picture was moving "faster" so thats maybe in terms of input lag?

Last edited:
Hi there. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I bought a couple S27A950Ds, but I had to return them because of awful backlight bleeding.

Do owners have any more comments, particularly on the 2d gaming performance compared to the 120hz TN panels? Have you tried BF3?

Thanks!

There is very, very little user feed back so I have no idea how good the quality control is for the VG23AH. All of the review samples have been very consistent, mine has just as accurate colours as the VG23AH's Cnet and 3D Vision Blog reviewed, but mine does have higher contrast (950:1-1000:1 vs 850:1)

Both the U2312 & U2412 have around 2ms of input lag, they should both feel equally as responsive, though the U2312 does show less ghosting if you don't turn off the overdrive in the service menu on the U2412.

In terms of gaming well, the VG23AH is faster (less ghosting) than the PA238Q I owned, which is one of the fastest IPS panels and it has just as low input lag (2ms when measured with an oscilloscope by PRAD.de=same negligible delay as the Dell U2412 &13), plus it supports 72-76hz. I'd say it is safe to say the VG23AH is one of the fastest IPS panels, period.

BF3 @72-76 hz on Ultra is awesome and is almost as smooth feeling as a 120hz TN...a 120hz TN is still noticeably smoother though. Not every game supports the custom refresh rates.

Last edited:
There is very, very little user feed back so I have no idea how good the quality control is for the VG23AH. All of the review samples have been very consistent, mine has just as accurate colours as the VG23AH's Cnet and 3D Vision Blog reviewed, but mine does have higher contrast (950:1-1000:1 vs 850:1)

Both the U2312 & U2412 have around 2ms of input lag, they should both feel equally as responsive, though the U2312 does show less ghosting if you don't turn off the overdrive in the service menu on the U2412.

In terms of gaming well, the VG23AH is faster (less ghosting) than the PA238Q I owned, which is one of the fastest IPS panels and it has just as low input lag (2ms when measured with an oscilloscope by PRAD.de=same negligible delay as the Dell U2412 &13), plus it supports 72-76hz. I'd say it is safe to say the VG23AH is one of the fastest IPS panels, period.

BF3 @72-76 hz on Ultra is awesome and is almost as smooth feeling as a 120hz TN...a 120hz TN is still noticeably smoother though. Not every game supports the custom refresh rates.
By the way, try tweaking display driver. I have never had problems with any game after that. Though every Crysis game is stuck at 50 Hz with or without custom resolutions.

Back