ViewSonic VP2770: 2560x1440 Semi-Glossy PLS

Compared to the U2713HM, this monitor is world's apart when it comes to backlight bleeding. The unit I just received has essentially zero light bleeding.

Aside from the weight (this thing is heavy!), the most noticable difference I've noticed so far between the two is that the VP2770 displayed fonts a bit differently - had to change ClearType a bit to get it back to what I thought was normal.

The Viewsonic's Sharpness setting can be improperly set by default (people have reported different default settings), check & play with the setting in the menu & make sure to set the Response Time to Advanced.

make sure to set the Response Time to Advanced.

First thing I changed thanks to your (I think) review at WCG.

The Viewsonic's Sharpness setting can be improperly set by default (people have reported different default settings), check & play with the setting in the menu

I read about that too. Supposedly 0 and 75 are good. I'll check later when I can play with it again.

Coming from the U2713HM, I can definitely say that this monitor is so far superior in every way, but I was still surprised to see a little gray spot on the screen, similar to one speendle at overclock.net saw. Hopefully the replacement Amazon is sending me won't have it (flawless!).

today, my VP2770 doesn't response from idle, I had to pulled the power plug and plugged back in. What's this problem is all about ? RMA

Coming from the U2713HM, I can definitely say that this monitor is so far superior in every way

I've read reviews and NCX's comments, but could you please explain in more detail the different experience using these two monitors (i'm still between VP2770, 2713HM and U3014, considering Dell's later revisions). Personally i'd love to hear about text clarity, ease on the eyes, etc (not gaming)

Check the overclock.net thread, new Dell U2713HM revisions are even worse since they now suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting, have worse color presets and still have cross-hatching issues.

The only way to get a new 3014 revision is by buying a 3014 and exchanging it for the new revision which will not be available until October. The VP2770 is way better unless you don't care about art design/color accuracy, input lag or ghosting.

Last edited:
... wait for my BenQ BL2710PT review & decide.

Have delayed the buy of a new monitor for a year. I've been so close to pull the trigger for VP2770 so many times... Still, will wait for the complete review though!

The thing is, eventually Dell will get both 2713HM and U3014 right, probably by Christmas time, and then will be even more difficult to decide. I mean, now it's obvious both Dell's models suffer from many problems, but if/when they get it right, 2713HM's price would be very tempting. And U3014 is another (size) league of course.

PS. hope you could include some info BenQ vs VP2770 text clarity, MS office use, etc.

Last edited:
Have delayed the buy of a new monitor for a year. I've been so close to pull the trigger for VP2770 so many times... Still, will wait for the complete review though!

The thing is, eventually Dell will get both 2713HM and U3014 right, probably by Christmas time, and then will be even more difficult to decide. I mean, now it's obvious both Dell's models suffer from many problems, but if/when they get it right, 2713HM's price would be very tempting. And U3014 is another (size) league of course.

PS. hope you could include some info BenQ vs VP2770 text clarity, MS office use, etc.

What makes you think Dell will fix the problems in the 2713HM? Do they have a history of doing this?

What makes you think Dell will fix the problems in the 2713HM?

There are reports saying so. Try checking the relevant threads:

Woke up today and the startrack courior sent me a BRAND NEW REV A00 manufactured in July 2013 (hot off the factory press). Soo far VERY PLEASED!!!!. OMG No cross hatching and I MEAN IT (ITS all fixed), way wayyyy better back bleeding til none. Can see a little bit of light bleeding, but no Ugly yellow discolorationgs like old rev A01. (Yes I know I maybe critical, but I am also a perfectionist in things like this).

I can see some very little light bleeding on screen round corner, but its bearable (As most panels have them, it's a natural standard). But no cross hatching YAY!. And no ugly yellow tinted blob crap i had to deal with Rev A01. In conclusion its pretty good monitor, can be better to perfect in black bleeding (But then again I am OCD about perfection).

Not sure if they are changing panels for 2713HM or it's the still the lottery (getting a good panel) 'cause of quality control issues.
Same goes for U3014, they've fixed the scan line problem in A3, not much info about cross-hatching.
Revisions do get better, that's how they should have been released in the first place.

There are reports saying so. Try checking the relevant threads

Check the overclock.net U2713HM thread, most of the reports regarding the newest revisions are even worse since the newest revisions suffers from obvious overshoot ghosting & have worse color presets.

Competitors sell similarly priced displays with less quality control issues & equal-better performance, there is no reason to buy any Dell monitor right now unless they are the only monitors available in ones country.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on VP2770, but I was wondering, is there a more economical 24" model by Viewsonic comparable to VP2770 quality wise ?

I just want to say that I got a VP2770 recently off of Amazon. The first one had some small grey smudge in the center that seemed to be on the backside of the protective cover. The second one which I just received today, had pretty bad backlight bleed in the lower left. As in plainly obvious on any dark-ish background, even in high-light situations. Also a stuck pixel in the lower left.

I had to actually convince Amazon to ship me the third one by the way. When I finally got them to cough up the reason they weren't giving me a replacement, they said that since I'm returning two for "the same reason", their system doesn't allow that. I had to step back a second and wonder wtf they were talking about. I clearly listed different problems in those. When they realized that they finally sent it out. I had to explain that the terminology was similar, but the reason was clearly different.

The colors on these monitors are great, and so is the gaming experience but I just can't seem to get one that's not messed up in some way.

If the third one doesn't work I'm just probably going for a cheap Korean monitor. Probably a Qnix? I was considering just keeping the one with the small grey-ish smudge. Then I realized if I was going to compromise due to their terrible quality control either way, why am I paying twice as much? It seems like this Viewsonic is a lottery, too.

The second one which I just received today, had pretty bad backlight bleed in the lower left

Brightness setting? You sure it's light bleeding and not glow? If possible stand back 6ft, turn the lights off and view the display head on.

It was stock brightness (which is bright), but, yes, I'm 100% sure. The last one didn't have any/much of it so it was an easy comparison to make. It didn't change at all when I changed viewing angles and it was easily visible in a bright room. From a few feet back it was... well even more obvious. It also changed when I pressed that area in slightly (got a little better), but slowly went back to the way it was, which tells me something is messed up there. I've been through so many of these 27 inch monitors to where I can spot these things kinda easily now... Sadly. Stuck pixel doesn't help much. I also want to add that I tend to use these at stock brightness when gaming, simply because I like the brightness during games.

I was actually considering just keeping the one with the small smudge and sending them back the newer one only and going through their customer support but... again why am I paying twice as much to make compromises? I really wanna love this thing though...

100% Brightness, /facepalm. You will NEVER find a satisfactory monitor if you use 100% brightness and should consider changing your rooms lighting.

Turn the brightness down to 30 and go do something else for 15 minutes. The bleed will likely disappear and the display won't seem dim unless you have extremely bright room lighting. Get one of these (natural white lighting vs. typical tanning salon 2700k lights) or the 23w version. Enjoy real black levels instead of the grays monitors produce when the brightness is cranked.

Last edited:
I went through 3 VP2770s and while its a great monitor, all of mine had backlight bleed in the lower left corner. I used NCX's settings from the first page of this thread. By the 3rd one Amazon was getting annoyed...and my UPS guy...

I also tried the Dell U2713HM and that monitor is abysmal in terms of quality control so stay far away from that one. Based on my research, the VP2770 was the best 27" 1440p monitor for the money. But alas, I'm now back to my 24" TN and waiting for more affordable 4Ks.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on VP2770, but I was wondering, is there a more economical 24" model by Viewsonic comparable to VP2770 quality wise ?

I set my VP2770's brightness to 60 and it looks amazing. Thinking of selling my 3008WFP to help pay for another of these beauties. I never thought I'd prefer anything to a 30", but it's great having a monitor that's just slightly bigger than a 24" with nearly the same resolution of a 30".

Last edited:
100% Brightness, /facepalm. You will NEVER find a satisfactory monitor if you use 100% brightness and should consider changing your rooms lighting.

It's funny you say that, because the first one I got was quite acceptable in terms of backlight bleed compared to this. Just a small amount along the top. If it didn't have the grey thing in the middle I would have kept it. Either way there's no excuse for the stuck pixel.

BenQ BL2411PT or HP Z24i

It's funny you say that, because the first one I got was quite acceptable in terms of backlight bleed compared to this.

Never was an exaggeration, in 5 years mainstream OLED will be fine.

If you used reasonable brightness settings you would eliminate one of the biggest issues displays have. Don't know how you can enjoy dark scenes when the blacks are gray and screen uniformity plus glow are far more pronounced.

Qnix's typically look like this @140nits vs. the Viewsonic's 100% 300nits, it's one of the worst choices aside from the Dell U2713HM.

Try looking at some art by Zdzislaw Beksinski with 30 & 100% brightness.

Well, I think it might be a tradeoff type deal. I've found I enjoy the scenery in Final Fantasy 14 much more when the screen is brighter, and I don't mind the bit of glow and whatnot during loading screens are on. On the other hand perhaps for anime viewing and such, using a brightness that more accurately brings out the colors might be better. For web site browsing I also prefer a brightness of about 30% or so since it bothers my eyes less to look at text-to-background contrast. It's quite obvious that backlight bleed among even high brightness settings is not a "standard" for these displays. It's just a defect.

Moreover, you realize most of those tests end up being limited in usefulness anyway, right? Your experiences totally depend on what panel you get. You would have to do a larger sample size analysis to understand the monitor as a technology, as a whole. For instance your Viewsonic had no dead pixels and very minimal bleed... and a slight red tint? Both of mine so far have had some sort of screen defect (even ignoring backlight bleed). From your experience, the Viewsonic is X and the Qnix is Y. From another person's, it may have been the opposite. Some people get Viewsonics with absolutely no backlight bleed or screen defects, and heck they might not even have the tint yours do. Measuring the input delay and responsiveness is probably one of the few test types that remain somewhat stable across batches (ignoring small +/- manufacturing allowances for the components on the PCB and such).

Anyway, I'm thinking that if the third one doesn't work out (ie is horrible like this second one), I might consider keeping the one with the small gray smudge since I haven't actually sent any of them back yet (plan to ship them out by the weekend; they just have to be back there by 30 days). Supposing they don't actually check the panel that's in the box, it should be fine. Or alternatively I could ask if customer service would simply allow me to send back one of the newer ones. Of course I could also get lucky and get a better panel, but looking at how I've been through about 7 or so right now, it doesn't look like that's a distinct possibility. I'll just leave a bad review for all of them and get on with my life.

Loving my display so far... First time I've owned an LCD, so I'm having a hard time telling what the difference between backlight bleed and IPS glow is. Biggest difference I notice coming from a CRT is that dragging things around on the desktop is a bit blurrier... in gaming I don't really notice it though.

Is there an ideal sharpness setting? The default on mine was 50, which seems OK, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Depending on the monitor either 75 or 0 from what I've read. Mine's at 75 and looks the same as all other monitors I've used.

Backlight bleed is visible on a black screen around the bezel. It's the yellow/white light leaking from behind the panel that doesn't move when you move your head.

IPS glow is the color/hue change as you change viewing angles.

IPS glow is the color/hue change as you change viewing angles.

Huh, I guess it must be this, then. Are you supposed to see IPS glow when viewing the monitor dead-on? No matter what angle/distance I look at it, I can't seem to get a pure black. Pretty noticable orange glow no matter what. It shifts, but it's always present somewhere.

Brightness set to 26, by the way. Same effect, whether the room is lit or totally dark.

You should be able to notice it some, sometimes it may seem bad when combined with reflections on the matte coating.

Just received my VP2770, and I have to say that it's quite the treat! I love the thing so far. My monitor lineage includes a NEC 20WMGX2 and most recently a Dell 2408WFP. Must say that PLS is definitely a step up.

Moreover, you realize most of those tests end up being limited in usefulness anyway, right? Your experiences totally depend on what panel you get.

Check the overclock.net thread, there are tons of examples of Qnix's with the same-ish amount of bleed like the example I've provided. Most of my "conclusions," are based off of multiple sources, if they exist.

You can take my advice, spend <40$ on a decent light bulb and a new lamp if needed and avoid needing to crank the brightness and enjoy much deeper black levels and far less <insert panel type> glow. If you can afford a 700$ monitor surely you can spend a bit to possibly vastly improve your lighting situation.

Huh, I guess it must be this, then. Are you supposed to see IPS glow when viewing the monitor dead-on?

This is normal for IPS/PLS/AHVA and A-MVA panels. Some anomalies exist (Qnix QX2710 & Eizo EV2736W) but there is no sure way of obtaining one since other Qnix & Eizo's reviewed suffered from the normal amount of glow.

From distances of >3ft/90cm away the glow should disappear when viewed head on

Last edited:
This is normal for IPS/PLS/AHVA and A-MVA panels. Some anomalies exist (Qnix QX2710 & Eizo EV2736W) but there is no sure way of obtaining one since other Qnix & Eizo's reviewed suffered from the normal amount of glow.

From distances of >3ft/90cm away the glow should disappear when viewed head on

So some Eizo 2736s have glow, while some others don't? Panel revision? That is peculiar. I just assumed all monitors using that same panel would have the same amount of glow.

More like panel lottery.

Altrough Eizo should give higher chance due to superior QC

NCX - do i see iiyama xb2779qs in your crossover 2755 review ?

Last edited:
Check the overclock.net thread, there are tons of examples of Qnix's with the same-ish amount of bleed like the example I've provided. Most of my "conclusions," are based off of multiple sources, if they exist.

You can take my advice, spend <40$ on a decent light bulb and a new lamp if needed and avoid needing to crank the brightness and enjoy much deeper black levels and far less <insert panel type> glow. If you can afford a 700$ monitor surely you can spend a bit to possibly vastly improve your lighting situation.

Well, actually I decided to crank down the brightness to 30, and I did notice that the blacks looked better like this, and I did eventually get used to it. So, I'll probably keep it on this. Thanks for the advice, however unwilling I sometimes may be to listen.

Fair enough on the threads. That's where I do most of my research, too. That's how I came to the eventual conclusion that the Dell U2713HM should be stayed away from at all costs.

Anyway, my third panel appears to be pixel perfect. I tried to do several thorough scans and I could not find a stuck or dead pixel (which actually my first one had a stuck pixel as well as that smudge; I simply did not find it until I used a black background)... yet. If it's there, it's probably not noticeable enough at all. This does have more backlight bleed than the first one, but much less than that second one. That second one had the entire lower left corner lit up and I don't think it would have gotten better with brightness settings or lighting situations.This one has a few spots of bleed around the edges (about 3, maybe 4), but they're all not severe and don't jut in much at all; at 30 brightness they're probably not gonna be noticeable during anime viewing and whatnot at all. Not sure about the backlight evenness... seems decent; I might have seen a pattern in 100% brightness on black, but nothing earthshattering (if I did actually see it).

So I think I finally got a keeper. Or as close to one as I can get, sadly. Time to get these other two packing. I also kind of wish that Amazon would have extended warranties so that I could take advantage of that, but eh. I guess I'll have to rely on Viewsonic's policy? Who knows, maybe in a year or two I won't have rely on monitors with lottery-style manufacturing processes anymore.

So some Eizo 2736s have glow, while some others don't? Panel revision?

No other reviewer (Extra Hardware CZ, PRAD, Svete Hardware) has mentioned anything. I don't know

NCX - do i see iiyama xb2779qs in your crossover 2755 review ?

The iiyama uses plasma deposition coating, I took that pic from another review to be used as a stand in. If you want a monitor which can produce proper blacks avoid displays with tempered glass, plasma deposition coatings and the frame-less AH-IPS panels

BTW Planar sells their own version for 750$.

Last edited:
I've been looking to add another VP2770, so that refurb for $500 looked great... until I saw that Planar PXL2790. Damn, that thing's a beauty! I prefer glass displays because I like the vivid colors. Yes, I know the black levels aren't as inky, but I don't obsess over having deep space, absolute zero black levels. The Planar warranty is stellar, too. 3-year with 2-day advanced exchange. $699 direct from Planar. Very tempting...

Your fault, NCX! I'm perfectly happy with my VP2770, but you just had to post that Planar link!!

Are you going to try and get your hands on one of these?

Reviewing the Crossover 2755AMG=same thing, don't see any point but I might waste my time (will be turned down or ignored) & attempt to contact Planar. They need the publicity since the 120hz SA2311W from 2010 was the last popular monitor they sold.

Last edited:
Is this thing supposed to have a noticeable tint to the whites? It's quite noticeable compared to my LP2465 which is right beside this thing (got a screenshot of it on my phone).

Heck, there seems to be a tint to everything. I guess it's reddish? It's less noticeable if I switch the color scheme to "Cool", but that switches up all the colors in general. It's just really hard to get used to this thing when I have my old monitor right beside it and the whites on it just look so much more clear.

It doesn't just seem to be this panel, because I took out one of the Amazon ones I was about to return and compared it and it looked exactly the same.

Mine had a mild red tint, but it is subjective and can vary depending on your lighting which is why most reviewers don't mention it. I use a 150w equivalent 6500k white light Philips CFL. Monitors with neutral white points are extremely rare in my experience, especially old CCFL wide gamut models like the LP2465 which is notorious for having each side of the screen tinted yellow, pink or green.

Could I make it a bit better by adjusting the colors a bit?

Also, my LP2465 was not quite as neutral as I thought, I simply had the color temperature on it at like 9.3k all the time. Even after I changed that though, it still had a noticeable difference. I think I might have gotten one of those "rare" ones. It might even have a bluish tint, who knows? It was one of those refurbs from years back that I got off of newegg for quite cheap. The backlight in it has already flickered out a few times on me every now and then (always came on when I turned the monitor on and off though).

Not a huge deal either way, just makes it harder to get used to.

What does Gentle gamma do? For some reason I'm liking it a bit better with that turned on, but I'm not sure why.

Actually, you know what, what tweaks in general are worth making to this thing?

My settings & ICC profile are available in the first post, but the default Native setting should be very accurate. The Gentle Gamma setting lowers the gamma and washes out the colors while the Steep setting raises the gamma resulting in darker colors and black crush. Since the HP is uncalibrated and a wide gamut monitor it is not a useful reference display. Some cell phones have relatively accurate colors, if you own one see if Digital Versus has reviewed it since they measure phones color accuracy. Your phone might be a decent "reference," display.

The VP2772 is a wide gamut monitor meant for work with color managed programs (Photoshop, Lightroom, ect.). I checked the manual and it doesn't list an sRGB mode or 6 Axis color controls so there is no way to make it display consumer media (games & movies) properly. GB-LED back-lit monitors also glow more. I could be wrong, need more details.

Last edited:
Back