Venice rumors here please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
needmorecarnitine said:
They didn't really come out of nowhere. They didn't make any public announcements leading up to its launch but it takes a lot of time to develop a cpu.

Thats what im saying though...they didnt make any announcements = coming out of nowhere.

LOL I know it takes R&D to make a proc lol. Yea I can clearly see now that we got some kind of mis-communication problem going on here hehe

DemonDiablo said:
See thats a good question. Its hard to say really. The newcatles came out of no where when AMD released them this time last year. And during the fall of last year AMD just started to release lower rated versions of the A64 on the .09nm process.

Its really hard to say with AMD what they are doing. I woundnt be to surprised if out of no where without warning amd just starts to ship out venice cores without saying anything

I've heard that AMD is holding Venice till they see what Intel's 6xx series can do.

Its hard to say though, there was one review stating that the 6xx series sucks, but it was the same website that said that the original Hammer's sucked :rolleyes: , so take it with a grain of salt s'il vous plait.

rayman2k2 said:
Its hard to say though, there was one review stating that the 6xx series sucks, but it was the same website that said that the original Hammer's sucked :rolleyes: , so take it with a grain of salt s'il vous plait.

Can you link us to that site? Thanks.

HP to debut new Opteron servers Monday
Published: February 10, 2005, 2:51 PM PST
By Stephen Shankland
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Hewlett-Packard plans to unveil on Monday its first blade servers using Advanced Micro Devices' Opteron processor, as well as a more conventional server and a workstation that use the new chip.

HP last year let Opteron into its ProLiant server family, which until then only used Intel chips. AMD in 2003 pioneered the extension of such x86 chips with 64-bit memory, which permits easy access to more than 4GB of memory. But Intel followed suit in 2004 with its "Nocona" version of the Xeon processor.

The ProLiant expansion was significant in light of HP's commitment to the higher-end Itanium processor line, a rival 64-bit family from Intel that HP helped develop. However, the vast majority of x86 software, including Microsoft Windows until later this year, is still 32-bit.

On the same day and also at the LinuxWorld Conference and Expo in Boston, Intel and AMD are expected to unveil new higher-end chips for dual-processor servers, said sources familiar with the companies' plans. The Opteron 252 will run at 2.6GHz and boost the speed of the HyperTransport communications links from 800MHz to 1GHz, while Intel will release the new "Irwindale" version of Intel's Xeon, which doubles the amount of high-speed cache memory to 2MB compared with existing "Nocona" Xeon models, the sources said.

Dell confirmed it planned to launch new Irwindale servers Monday, and IBM and HP are expected to announce their own with the chip the same day. AMD, Intel, HP and IBM declined to comment for this story.

The faster HyperTransport link is expected across all AMD Opteron processors as the company moves the chip family to a new manufacturing process with 90-nanometer (billionths of a meter) features, a source familiar with the plans said. Also arriving will be the SSE3 instructions Intel added to its chips last year to speed multimedia operations such as decoding video.

Dell doesn't sell Opteron servers, though the company is warming to the idea. IBM sells an Opteron model only for high-performance technical computing customers. The most eager partner is Sun Microsystems, which has passed HP as AMD's top Opteron customer and which plans an eight-processor server and other new systems in coming months.

Intel and AMD are planning new dual-core processors that combine two processing engines on the same slice of silicon. AMD's are scheduled to arrive first, midway through this year, while Intel's won't reach high-volume production until 2006.

However, some customers, computer makers and software companies won't have to wait until 2006 for dual-core Xeons. Intel is expected to announce Monday that it will send thousands of systems with the new chips to those business partners and premium customers in the second half of 2005.

HP is expected to offer two dual-Opteron blades, the BL25p with the 2.6GHz Opteron 252 and the BL35p with the 2.4GHz Opteron 250. The BL25p is larger than the BL35p, but offers more storage capacity.

The BL25p is expected to cost $3,499 with one processor and 1GB of memory and $5,209 with two processors and 2GB memory. The corresponding BL35p prices are $2,899 and $4,209.

According to an HP Web site, the workstation can accommodate dual Opteron processors and up to 16GB of memory. It uses dual nVidia graphics cards employing the graphics chipmaker's Scalable Link Interface, or SLI, technology, which connects the two into a single, more powerful graphics subsystem.

http://news.com.com/HP+to+debut+new+Opteron+servers+Monday/2100-1006_3-5571645.html?tag=nefd.top

Ok thats nice info...

Opteron E is supposed to be unveiled on the 14th of Feb according to that article... How far behind can the A-64 be if the process allready yeilds opterons. :D

Frallan said:
And for us who skipped the french classes and did something funny instead. what do they say and how reliable (ant to put it in the lead post but don't know what to write :()

oh, thats nothing about A64 and Venice, its about Intel's 6xx series. Basically, it says that the 6xx series only offer upto 5% performance advantages. And in some cases, it loses to the old 5xx series. I find this somewhat hard to believe as the extra meg of L2 cache will do wonders with Prescott's 30-stage pipeline

The Opteron was released today (the 14th) and it i the new core not just a die-shrink. So lets hope that the A-64:s will follow soon :D

And as a cherry on top AMD also slashed their prices, U can find the article with a link to the new prices here.

though it's actually an oakville processor by the things i've read, have a look at this
another thing to note: it's been out for.. a while. not a long time, but i think a month or so.

(cf)Eclipse said:
though it's actually an oakville processor by the things i've read, have a look at this
another thing to note: it's been out for.. a while. not a long time, but i think a month or so.

What is an Oakville?

If it has been out for a month, how come no one has reported on this new core cpu?

needmorecarnitine said:
What is an Oakville?

If it has been out for a month, how come no one has reported on this new core cpu?

Opteron only thus far.

==>lazn

(cf)Eclipse said:

so SSE3 capable AMDs have been out for a month already?

no, oakville is the equivilent of winchester for 754. read baron's post carefully, you'll note that is says "winchester core" at the bottom of it.

needmorecarnitine said:
so SSE3 capable AMDs have been out for a month already?

The only SSE3 capable AMD processor are the 90nm Opterons named 152(not out till April)/252/852(these two have just been "launched")

So those new cpus cannot be Oakvilles (talking about the new cpus/what this thread is actually about). Don't know why cf thinks they are Oakvilles when AMD says they are SSE3 capable

if you're thinking what i think you are, don't confuse venice and oakville.
oakville is derived from the winchester.
venice will soon replace winchester, and newark will be based on the same process (but with 1mb l2) and replace oakville.

and the opterons are the san deigo core.. though i think amd is actually calling it something else. give me a min to look.
ok. the opterons are "troy"
and according to the roadmap i'm looking at, 90nm fx's should be out in this half.

(cf)Eclipse said:
don't confuse venice and oakville

I'm not. But I get the feeling that you and robberbaron are trying to confuse us. You posted that the new cpus are Oakvilles and what robberbaron posted is so confusing that I don't know what he is trying to say...

Oakville looks somewhat interesting but maybe we should keep that out of this thread and stick to the topic.

yeah, you have a point.. i'm not exactly sure what point baron is trying to make, so... *shrug* can't help you out there.
but yes, this needs to get back on topic.. however, since venice is part of a larger family of E0 revision cores, i think it's ok to make mention of troy (the new 90nm opterons that were launched today) and newark (the upcoming mobile chip for 754 that i want) and things like that. no more of this winchester business! :D

ooo i would love for newark to be available and reasonably priced so i won't need a new mobo mainly cause I'm lasy and don't want to take my system apart again (WC is a pain in teh ass to redo)

also not forgetting the slightly lower starting voltage for mobles.

forgive me for not going through the entire thread. but would one estimate that the venice cores would be available by mid/end march?

depends on what models they finally launch are of course . i think general winchester pricing should apply.i think all models with the same rating are the same price from amd, but vendors raise or lower some based on supply/demand

(cf)Eclipse said:
me too. thus like $20-30 more than what the current high end models cost..
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_609,00.html?redir=CPT301
that's amd's "retail price" list. note the fx-55 :D

i just cannot justify an fx... the performance can be had for so much less, as we all know. from what i understand the multiplier really isnt even that critical. though im sure it could help a little. perhaps thats an understatement though. :)

however, the highest rating im looking for is a 3700+.

oh wait, i'm silly, you were asking for a launch date and i went off about the price. my bad :cool:

i would assume about the same time frame, though considering the launch of the 90nm opterons at 2.6ghz today, the rest of the cpu's shouldn't be too far off.. end of march should be the latest. and note the manufacture date of the opteron anandtech has... 0447. so these things have been in production for a while.
*shrug*

(cf)Eclipse said:
oh wait, i'm silly, you were asking for a launch date and i went off about the price. my bad :cool:

i would assume about the same time frame, though considering the launch of the 90nm opterons at 2.6ghz today, the rest of the cpu's shouldn't be too far off.. end of march should be the latest. and note the manufacture date of the opteron anandtech has... 0447. so these things have been in production for a while.
*shrug*

ah... so they are holding out on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back