Uncharted 4

I was driving by Gamestop after work. I've been wanting this game since I first saw the teaser shots. So, I bought it. It's updating now. First time in a long time I've bought a game on release day for myself. :)

since I needed to wait until release day to order from Amazon (in order to use my credit card reward points) my copy won't arrive until Friday...at least Amazon shipped it out fairly quickly with Free Shipping

The game is amazing. It's at or above "The Last Of Us" quality. The controls still take some time to get used to but IMO it's a must buy game for all PS4 owners.

looks ok but it plays too much like a Movie.

That's incredibly unfair, you have games like Walking Dead, Heavy Rain Quantum Break and others that take that to a whole other level.

The story set pieces and cutscenes are not abundant and there are huge swaths of gameplay segments.

I'm probably 35-45% in and it's a bit ridiculous the amount of attention to detail Naughty Dog put into the game. Transversal, movement, gunplay and mechanics are much more polished than their previous entry's.

While climbing unlike previous games you can much more easily decide where you are going/grabbing because the analog controls allow you to reach for specific areas and he will move his fingers and hands when he gets close to a ledge that he can grab.

A lot of this has to do with how much power they have in be PS4 as opposed to the PS3.

Incredible game so far. Nothing this generation comes close to making you fee like this generation is finally here. No other developer can touch this which is aggravating. Not even other Sony owned World Wide Studios. Naughty Dog should give this engine away to other Sony developers.

Horizon might be close but from what I've seen it still has a ways to go.

I completely forgot about this game. I'm going to pick it up today since the gf will be hanging with the bestie all night :D

This one is most definitely more movie-like than the others. The first 6 missions are an elaborate prologue. Chapter 7 is when the "game" (ie. what made up most of the previous ones) actually begins.
It's actually a pretty amazing mission, too. It's long with lots of open areas, several shootouts, and lots of terrain. It might be as good as anything in any of the previous games and it's only the first real mission.
The shooting seems to be most similar to Uncharted 3, which I'm not a huge fan of. The reticle is massive and enemies tend to be far away, so lining up good shots simply doesn't work well. "Stitching" them by aiming at their chest and firing a couple times quickly (to let the recoil help out) seems as effective as anything else.

I almost called in sick today to play this game. I woke up early to play it. It's great so far. Going to play it a lot more after work. :D

Game is brilliant so far. Feels like I'm taking part in an epic summer blockbuster movie. Had me cracking up IRL when Nate plays a certain video game. Also, "Eat Plastic!" :D

Shame about the motion blur though. How are you supposed to enjoy the graphics when it gets all streaky every time you turn the camera?

I think the motion blur is used to compensate for the framerate. It isn't horrible or anything, but it does bug a me little bit. While the graphics are stunning (they're PC level in stills) that framerate combined with motion blur hurts my eyes. Especially when I'm having to keep my eyes peeled for treasure.
It isn't ND's fault, but I really, really, really hope the PS4.5 offers some way to play older games at a higher framerate.

I think the motion blur is used to compensate for the framerate. It isn't horrible or anything, but it does bug a me little bit. While the graphics are stunning (they're PC level in stills) that framerate combined with motion blur hurts my eyes. Especially when I'm having to keep my eyes peeled for treasure.
It isn't ND's fault, but I really, really, really hope the PS4.5 offers some way to play older games at a higher framerate.

Yea the blur is fine for me, nothing as bad as Farcry 4 on PS4. I couldn't get past the first 3 missions on that game.

Yea the blur is fine for me, nothing as bad as Farcry 4 on PS4. I couldn't get past the first 3 missions on that game.

Never played that one on a console, but that's too bad. It's a good game.
For me the game I couldn't handle was Fable 3. I literally had to quit playing after 15 minutes because my eyes hurt. It's like watching a scrolling scene on a first generation LCD television.
I get why devs add it, but it should be something you can disable. It makes my eyes flip out.

looks like the [H] players are loving the game just as much as the rest of the world...no posts from the typical negative [H] posters who find something to hate about every game...I'm impressed...my copy is actually arriving earlier then expected (Thursday) so I'll be jumping in tomorrow...can't wait

high praise here comparing this to The Last of Us...I wasn't expecting this to top Uncharted 2 but it sounds right up there with it

Last edited:
Probably the greatest triumph in the game is the voice acting. It honestly does feel like the characters are where they are and they really know one another.
With most games (and cartoons) it feels like a semi-famous actor/comedian overacting in a booth. That isn't the case here at all. At least not through chapter 8.
Nolan is the best in the biz, but the rest of the cast kills it, too. The actor playing Sam fits right in and does a hell of a job. As much as I want to question some of the brother and childhood timeline stuff (based on Uncharted 3), I’m willing to accept the way they spelled it out.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I was initially worried about them shoe-horning in a mysterious brother whom we never heard about into the 4th (last?) installment when they should just be focused on the core characters of Nate, Sully and Elena...but apparently it doesn't detract from the overall experience

looks like the [H] players are loving the game just as much as the rest of the world...no posts from the typical negative [H] posters who find something to hate about every game...I'm impressed...my copy is actually arriving earlier then expected (Thursday) so I'll be jumping in tomorrow...can't wait

Well, Megalith started the thread. He hasn't come back with his 'review' that I can see. If he's impressed, then it's a great game. Dude hates everything.

Well, Megalith started the thread. He hasn't come back with his 'review' that I can see. If he's impressed, then it's a great game. Dude hates everything.

Nothing tops Vladraculas dismissal of things.

I finished the Scotland level tonight and made good progress in Madagascar.

I was bored in the beginning but the game has picked up considerably.

Anyone who criticizes this game needs a visit to the local lobotomy doctor. :p
Game is absolutely fantastic and immersive. Attention to detail is amazing. I am still in Scotland and loving it.

Try turning off the aim snap stuff. Did that after I discovered it in chapter 1 and it behaves basically just like 1-3 did now. My only problem is I keep hitting R1 to reload... this wasn't a problem until I got a throwable. Kinda wish I could flip around R1 and triangle but I haven't seen a way to do that.

Oddly enough I haven't noticed the motion blur, it's usually quite high on the things that bug the hell out of me.

Gameplay and story has been great and fun so far. No more bullet-sponge enemies for the most part which is great. Also, guys... this has to be THE best looking game i've ever played on console or maybe even PC. The attention to detail that Naughty Dog puts into everything they do is incredible and very commendable. To me they set the standard of what a game developer should be. You can just tell they put a incredible amount of love into the game. Some parts looks photo-realistic to me and I love messing with the built-in photo-mode.

Try turning off the aim snap stuff. Did that after I discovered it in chapter 1 and it behaves basically just like 1-3 did now. My only problem is I keep hitting R1 to reload... this wasn't a problem until I got a throwable. Kinda wish I could flip around R1 and triangle but I haven't seen a way to do that.

I'll give that a shot - thanks. I've also thrown dynamite accidentally several times. No clue why they won't let you remap the face buttons to the shoulders...they seemingly let you adjust everything else. In fact, the level of setting adjustments = pretty admirable.
I didn't get to play the game last night, but will definitely try to get some time tonight. I 100% agree that the game is one of the best (if not THE best) looking ones to date. If it was 60fps it would be hands-down.

TL;DR Overall i think this is the worst uncharted game, amplified by the fact they didn't improve on what needed to be improved. Completed the game last night on hard. The first 4 hours has "gameplay" on par with the order 1886. The story is good (the twist was meh) and the scripted sequences are incredible, but everything else brings it down.

The animation, set pieces and graphics are incredible particularly the lighting and global illumination tech which is without a doubt better then anything else out there. However I'm NOT the one to usually complain about motionblur and their past games implementation was perfect but the kind used here is particularly terrible. I don't think its even fair to call it motionblur as its more straight up ghosting. Frame rate doesn't really effect the gameplay but turning the camera when its lower is painfully bad and actually kind of makes me nauseous and i never get that with video games.

Vehicle segments and expanded levels while impressive feel more like set pieces to show off the engine and don't really add all that much other then a few scripted moments, exploring has no purpose other then a few tidbits of story, over all it feel like such a waste of potential with the level design/mechanics.

The worst aspect of the game is the platforming which is usually for the most part consists of mashing X and moving your analog the direction you want to go, no challenge or skill required just going through the motions. By the end of the game i was wishing for a autofire controller. There are really only 3 other mechanics to speak of which are sliding/swimming, grapple hook and one that is introduced near the end of the game making it barely worth mentioning. This wouldn't be so bad if it was just used to break up the action for pacing reasons but there is far too much of it, infact it makes up the vast majority of game excluding downtime for story. Hell I wouldn't mind of they just replaced all of it with puzzle solving instead. If this wasn't their 5th game in the series they could get away with it but not anymore.

Funny enough the
crash bandicoot
segment was harder then any of the platforming i played in the game.

Also there are too few combat encounters it takes too long for the difficulty to ramp up and most are over far too quickly, on top of that there is very few improvements to the combat itself. It's enjoyable but it's a shame they didn't build upon or take ideas from tlou which felt way more tense and challenging but im not going to nitpick too much here.

I don't think this game has any replayablilty, its not short i think it took me 16-17 hours but im not temped to go back unlike tlou which i just complete on grounded days before playing this.

Last edited:
Why is everyone ordering physical copies when you could have just bought it on PSN and preloaded it so you can play it promptly at midnight when it launched? It just bought a PS4 just for this game the evening before it launched and did just that and am glad I did so I didn't have to wait for it or fight to find a copy of the game locally.

I'm on chapter 15 or 16 now, I think, right after the plot twist about Sam. The only minor issues I've had are with controls (sometimes the cover system is wonky) and the repetitive climbing does get tiring after a bit in some areas. Seems there's more climbing now than before, which may not be true since I haven't played the previous Uncharted games since they launched and don't remember most of them since I only played through them 1-2 times. But I think it's safe to say this game was worth buying my PS4 for still. I think I'll pick up the Uncharted remastered games after this too so I can replay through them, along with TLoU remastered. Can't get enough Naughty Dog! :D

So I can resell it.

Yeah, the only reason to do so, I guess. I very rarely sold games back, as I hate the thought of Gamestop reselling them for 500% profit and don't want to deal with retarded people on CL. Plus, as with all ND games, they're worth keeping in your collection, IMO.

Why is everyone ordering physical copies when you could have just bought it on PSN and preloaded it so you can play it promptly at midnight when it launched? It just bought a PS4 just for this game the evening before it launched and did just that and am glad I did so I didn't have to wait for it or fight to find a copy of the game locally.

I like physical copies of games. I collect games, and so having that physical copy there will make it better in a decade or so. I got Titanfall digitally, and I'm going to pick up the physical copy when I can find it for $5 or less (it's getting close!).

At this stage in my life, I pretty much only buy the "sure thing" games I know I'm going to keep playing and never sell. As a result, I haven't actually purchased a physical game since 2012.
I'd probably make an exception if a game offered something really cool (like a Zangief figure or Havel statue) but it'll take something pretty crazy. I like having all of my games available at a glance with no physical media needed.

Hard copy for SPECIAL games. UC is definitely one of those special games....and I don't have many that I consider special.

Plus, Nathan lookth tho sexy on the cover I couldn't resist. I'm swooning!

Why is everyone ordering physical copies when you could have just bought it on PSN and preloaded it so you can play it promptly at midnight when it launched?

I had $51 in Amazon credit card reward points so I needed to buy the physical edition to redeem it...my copy arrived today so I'm happy!

Last edited:
At this stage in my life, I pretty much only buy the "sure thing" games I know I'm going to keep playing and never sell. As a result, I haven't actually purchased a physical game since 2012.
I'd probably make an exception if a game offered something really cool (like a Zangief figure or Havel statue) but it'll take something pretty crazy. I like having all of my games available at a glance with no physical media needed.

Yup, same here. Uncharted is the first console or PC game I've purchased... shit.. since The Last of Us launched, I think, hah. Oh, no I got GTA 5 a year or so ago too.

Back