"Total War: Rome II" Developers on Female Generals: "Don’t Like It? Don’t Play It"

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Total War: Rome II’s developers have dismissed criticism by fans questioning why they are changing the demographics of a years-old title: according to Steam reviews and comments on the game’s discussion forum, at least 50% of the generals now comprise women, among other attempts at “rewriting history for sociopolitical purposes.” While some fans are poking fun at the controversy, suggesting the characters are merely transitioning, others are organizing boycotts and demanding Creative Assembly’s apology.

When the developer was called out for changing the game and that the company was trying to utilize historical revisionism to change demographics, Creative Assembly’s Ella McConnell responded by saying that their games are “historically authentic” not “historically accurate.” It all started back in August of 2018, when forum posts began popping up questioning why so many of their generals and leaders were magically turning into women.

captaindiptoad likes this.
  2. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

Ah the ultimatum.

I wonder how long till it backfires?

3. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 Gawd

What the fuck is supposed to be the difference between historically authentic and accurate? I’d assume it’s more of reeenactment status?

4. Siersoren

Siersoren n00bie

Ok, I won't plan to play it then.

There are still 4369071324 other games without historical revisionists I can enjoy.

Civilization 6 is a prime example: Women leaders as needed, but not a ridiculous, disproportionate, historically inaccurate silliness.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  5. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

whats the say? oh right, get woke go broke. lets see what happens....

6. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

Creative Assembly’s Ella McConnell responded by saying that their games are “historically authentic” not “historically accurate.”

Hanna Noballis?

Maybe they could develop AI that doesn't suck? Nah, more female Roman generals is what is needed. That will help sell the expansions they keep putting out, beyond the stand alone stuff they're doing now like Atilla and Thrones of Britannia. More stuff I'll pick up at firesale prices years down the road if ever. Same now for TW:Warhammer3

Genius AI:

Armenius likes this.
  7. Azphira

Azphira [H]ard|Gawd

"Don’t Like It? Don’t Play It"

Sega Sammy Holdings should have a word with Tim Heaton about matters.

Armenius, Patton187 and Icon_Charlie like this.
  8. alamox

alamox Limp Gawd

this became a real poison in gaming and entertaining in general.
    why do they have to inject gays, trans, blacks, etc... they want to force diversity so much, it doesn't even make sense anymore, the push is so agressive it's absurd.

9. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd [H]Lite

All the women generals look exactly the same. Just different clothes and colors. Lol I'll never own this garbage

LightsOut41, The Mad Atheist and N4CR like this.
  10. rgraze911

rgraze911 Limp Gawd

Why is everyone losing track of their core audience.

11. Dahkoht

Dahkoht Limp Gawd

Are you implying that the core audience for a historical based strategy war game isn't a flock of pink haired , semi transexual , gender fluid , soy eating protesters ?

What , what would ever give you that idea ?

12. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

Hey, I'll take that challenge.

Armenius likes this.
  13. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

It's a game, intended to make money and give its players satisfaction, not a factual history assessment.

14. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

okay fine,
    i wont. we're done here. happy you told me your stance before i spent money on this.

15. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

This approach worked out well for Battlefield 1. Though at least they aren’t making generals with prosthetic limbs... Yet :)

Tiburon1186, F.E.A.R. and pendragon1 like this.
  16. UnrealCpu

UnrealCpu 2[H]4U

will buy it when it goes to 1.99

other than that no thank you

women were
    not generals in rome during ancient times

whats next i wont say on here , gender bender generals?

17. Dahkoht

Dahkoht Limp Gawd

Couldn't stand it , had to look at the twitter feed of the the dev/writer Ella who pushed this.

All I needed to see was answered in one picture she had on there.

2af3aea3d40ec76d3c871aaa22e04327-full.jpg

18. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

that is perhaps one of the stupidest things i have heard/seen in years

19. emphy

emphy Limp Gawd

Had a look at the screen shots on steam, very disappointing. Not a single woman soldier.

20. phobos512

phobos512 Limp Gawd

The game came out five years ago. If you were going to spend money on it, I think you would have already.

Timobkg and Crackinjahcs like this.
  21. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

couldnt they just allow people to pick and choose their avatars without making a big deal out of it. Provide a few women and just be done with it. If a man or woman wants a female avatar, fine, pick one and enjoy the game on your end. Who cares.

They could just as easy make it to where if you don't want to see women or hear women during a multiplayer game, well, then you don't have to see or hear women. It takes just a button within the game. Easy to do.

They could really make this a none issue instead of forcing this on people and losing sales.

Every sale is important to game companies. They all ad up.

22. phobos512

phobos512 Limp Gawd

What is it you're babbling about? "Soy eating protestors"? Do you read what you wrote before clicking "Post Reply"?

haste. likes this.
  23. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

I know exactly what he's talking about. if you dont maybe your one of them ;)

Waveforme, PaulP, AlphaQup and 14 others like this.
  24. phobos512

phobos512 Limp Gawd

It seems like they did just make some changes without really publicizing them. Then, some of the community flipped out, which prompted this reply.

Armenius likes this.
  25. F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. [H]ard|Gawd

Sigh...this is getting ridiculous.

26. filip

filip Gawd

Deja vu, this was what the BF5 guy had to say too, he dosen't work at EA anymore. I mean, come on now if they can't learn from that they may never learn.

27. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

There's always the third option,

Pirate it out of spite.

But thank you SO MUCH for giving me an option. I choose not to play it.

28. Derangel

Derangel [H]ardForum Junkie

The Total War games have never really focused too much on being historically accurate so, whatever. Still, CA isn't exactly on the best terms with their community at the best of times, their reaction could have been a hell of a lot better.

29. next-Jin

next-Jin [H]ardForum Junkie

I’m confused, did they add more Generals or did they change everything about them other than units? (i.e history, face, voices, etc.)

If they changed current generals that’s stupid, if they added them why is this a thing?

Even if they did force a gender change (which is hilarious) its not a big deal, just incredibly strange and dumb.

Timobkg likes this.
  30. Joust

Joust Gawd

I don't care, other than that the response from the developer was intentionally offensive. To me, that, rather than the other game stuff, was (is) the issue here.

chockomonkey likes this.
  31. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot [H]ard|Gawd

If they added additional alternative leaders fine. If your only choice is Julia Caesar or Maria Antony, screw em. Add Xena Empress of Rome and you might get additional buyers.

Armenius and GoldenTiger like this.
  32. GlowingGhoul

GlowingGhoul Whines about Whiners

I don't know why regressives like you have such a problem with the phrase 'alternative facts'. Then again, a slavish faith in corporate media probably precludes any kind of deeper understanding of media manipulation.

I can present a series of facts, emphasizing certain points, diminishing others, and leaving out others altogether to tell a story that has little connection to the truth. This seems the most common method a warping perception in mainstream media. Therefore a set of 'alternative facts' can present a different, and possible far more accurate accounting of events.

Nevermind, I forgot who I was speaking to. Go back to the media gods to find out what you should be outraged about today.

Attached Files:

33. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

Whenever I see gender-swapped people in Japanese anime, games, etc, it's always been explained as "Alternate history." This "historically authentic" explanation is utter BS. If you want to make it that way, do alternate reality.

If they really want to continue down this road, they better make things equal and have female soldiers getting slaughtered in the gameplay. Otherwise, sexism.

There's sacrificing historical accuracy for the sake of making better gameplay, and then there's sacrificing historical accuracy to make a political statement. The former is fine, the latter is not.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Waveforme, Dahkoht, Armenius and 4 others like this.
  34. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Looks like some trolls invaded the Total War forums and a moderator went off on them. :)

35. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

No one ever accused them of being self aware.

36. mavrocket

mavrocket [H]ard|Gawd

This is so pathetic. Soon history books will be changed to say half of the founding fathers were mothers so that the feelings of women wont be hurt.

It seems to me that if women and girl's precious psyches can't take history, maybe they shouldn't leave the house lest their feelings get hurt.

Maybe a patriarchy developed over time because the females just couldn't hack it out here in reality with the rest of us?

Sorry to any fine women (like my wonderful wife), who have to watch as others in your sex denigrate you as fragile flowers who can't hack it in the real world.

37. 4saken

4saken [H]ardForum Junkie

eventually they will learn to appease the crowd that actually has the finances to buy the game, vs the loud poor SJW crowd that doesnt buy shit.

Armenius likes this.
  38. mda

mda [H]ard|Gawd

I don't mind the female generals, but I'd have hoped they put in the effort to patch the game first... Still a bunch of bugs floating out there.

39. Alpha736

Alpha736 Limp Gawd

I have no fucking clue man. If you look up 'authentic' on thesaurus.com the first synonym listed is 'accurate.' Do they really think there is a meaningful difference by using that terminology? Even legally?

authentic_synonyms.PNG

40. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

What sexist, ageist shitlords! Why are minority child soldiers not represented?
    By excluding them they are marginalizing their brave contributions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.