Threadripper and Windows 7

So much misinformation in this thread....!
Threadripper 1950X owner here, installed Windows 7 on Samsung 960EVO NVMe M.2 drive as only disk drive on Asrock Taichi X399. Boots fine, no problems. But I couldn't get Win 7 to be stable, so now I am back on Windows 10 :-(

Any proof.. or ...

I think that those who are interested - interested in stable configurations for production only.

I've installed Windows 7 on the MSI Carbon X399, Samsung NVMe 960 M.2 (PCIe), and everything works exactly as it's supposed to. Have had this setup for months now (since late August), along with Windows 10 and macOS Sierra (more recently). All solid, including prime95 torture.

Only minor issues are during an install, USB 3 drivers, which you can do the install with a PS2 keyboard and use the keyboard to load USB 3 drivers from the CD later on, or you can inject them into the installer.

The only BIG problem is, knowing which windows updates NOT to do, which end up causing the "processor not supported" pop-up. I forgot which KB it is, but I did a fresh install now and installing one KB at a time and will post the cancer-KB so you don't install it.

Google search shows KB4015549 and/or KB4012218 which are causing the unsupported hardware pop-up, but I'm not sure.

Even got macOS Sierra and High Sierra installed, working flawlessly (way too much involved though).

Windows 7 and Windows 10 run rock solid for months.

tr164.jpg

Last edited:
I've installed Windows 7 on the MSI Carbon X399, Samsung NVMe 960 M.2 (PCIe), and everything works exactly as it's supposed to. Have had this setup for months now (since late August), along with Windows 10 and macOS Sierra (more recently). All solid, including prime95 torture.

Only minor issues are during an install, USB 3 drivers, which you can do the install with a PS2 keyboard and use the keyboard to load USB 3 drivers from the CD later on, or you can inject them into the installer.

The only BIG problem is, knowing which windows updates NOT to do, which end up causing the "processor not supported" pop-up. I forgot which KB it is, but I did a fresh install now and installing one KB at a time and will post the cancer-KB so you don't install it.

Google search shows KB4015549 and/or KB4012218 which are causing the unsupported hardware, but I'm not sure.

Even got macOS Sierra and High Sierra installed, working flawlessly (way too much involved though).

Windows 7 and Windows 10 run rock solid for months.

View attachment 48169

Neatto.
Please report this info here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-r...dows-7-100-compatible-configurations.1951468/

And by the way, don't you run into such thingy?

People report D1 BSOD related to pci.sys:
https://community.amd.com/thread/222524

Ps. I wonder do we have any psychos how run Windows 7 under EPYC cpu's?:)

So on most of my previous installs, I did all the KBs, and never kept track of which one caused the unsupported hardware error. And when uninstalling them, the unsupported hardware error remained.

So I did NOT do these two updates below, which could be the culprits, but it's too early to tell without a few reboots.

I did NOT do KB4041083 or KB4054518. The 3rd one, KB971033, is the windows activation one, so it doesn't matter.

As far as blue screen, I've seen nothing. Had a few lock-ups when clocked too high, but that's about it.

Hope this helps anyone who needs it.

EDIT: I am basically staying away from these 4 updates:

1. KB4041083
2. KB4054518
3. KB4032113
4. KB2952664

tr bad kb.JPG

Last edited:
So on most of my previous installs, I did all the KBs, and never kept track of which one caused the unsupported hardware error. And when uninstalling them, the unsupported hardware error remained.

So I did NOT do these two updates below, which could be the culprits, but it's too early to tell without a few reboots.

I did NOT do KB4041083 or KB4054518. The 3rd one, KB971033, is the windows activation one, so it doesn't matter.

As far as blue screen, I've seen nothing. Had a few lock-ups when clocked too high, but that's about it.

Hope this helps anyone who needs it.

View attachment 48175

Thanks for providing vital information for Win7 users!

Thanks for providing vital information for Win7 users!

Glad to have tested these. The ones that google search shows didn't match these KBs.

So far after a half dozen reboots, that "unsupported hardware" does NOT appear. At this point, I will no longer do any updates since I know one of those two is the problem.

I am staying away from these 4 updates:

1. KB4041083
2. KB4054518
3. KB4032113
4. KB2952664

Glad to have tested these. The ones that google search shows didn't match these KBs.

So far after a half dozen reboots, that "unsupported hardware" does NOT appear. At this point, I will no longer do any updates since I know one of those two is the problem.

I am staying away from these 4 updates:

1. KB4041083
2. KB4054518
3. KB4032113
4. KB2952664

Most irksome thing is that now they release bundle packs of updates. And you have to be very selective, what to install.

Here is a link to the script that tricks ms update system:
https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc/releases/tag/v0.7.1.81

Don't know if it is working for Threadripper or not..

Last edited:
Threadripper here with gigabyte Aorus running windows 7.

Win7 uefi, two Microsoft NVME hotfixes and USB 3.0 drivers slipped into the install iso.
Turn off any and all references to legacy boot in the bios, turn off USB legacy compatibility then 7 should install with no issues.

If you have issues slipping the USB drivers then try to find or buy a USB 2.0 pcie card to use temporarily for kb/mouse as it will run independently of the bios and not interfere with anything

Originally I had issues slipping the NVME hotfixes and installing 7 on my previous fx series setup and ended up installing 7 onto a regular sata ssd then manually applying the NVME hotfixes, installing the NVME drive and then cloned everything over.

Thought I would have to do the same with x399 but the hotfixes worked this time around.
As for windows updates I installed all of them and then I ran a bat file that removes the bad updates, I'm not at my pc currently so I don't remember the site I got the bat file from but I'll help in any way I can if someone is having trouble, I see a lot of people having issues with the gigabyte board and win7.

Threadripper here with gigabyte Aorus running windows 7.

Win7 uefi, two Microsoft NVME hotfixes and USB 3.0 drivers slipped into the install iso.
Turn off any and all references to legacy boot in the bios, turn off USB legacy compatibility then 7 should install with no issues.

If you have issues slipping the USB drivers then try to find or buy a USB 2.0 pcie card to use temporarily for kb/mouse as it will run independently of the bios and not interfere with anything

Originally I had issues slipping the NVME hotfixes and installing 7 on my previous fx series setup and ended up installing 7 onto a regular sata ssd then manually applying the NVME hotfixes, installing the NVME drive and then cloned everything over.

Thought I would have to do the same with x399 but the hotfixes worked this time around.
As for windows updates I installed all of them and then I ran a bat file that removes the bad updates, I'm not at my pc currently so I don't remember the site I got the bat file from but I'll help in any way I can if someone is having trouble, I see a lot of people having issues with the gigabyte board and win7.

Sorry mate, nothing personal, but I it BS. Show some proof and more details about your system. I spent like 2mo trying to install Win7 on Aorus and got nowhere, all posible combination in BIOS (even fully set for Win10) in legacy or UEFI mode on SATA or Intel NVme.

Any proof.. or ...

Any proof or what...? Are you the Spanish Inquisition :)
The instability I experienced was due to incompatible RAM. Corsair Dominator Platinum v. 5.20 doesn't work on Asrock Taichi X399!
Windows 7-64 installs and boots on Samsung NVMe 960EVO and runs perfectly:

Win764TR4-Screendump2.jpg

Win764TR4-Screendump1.jpg

For those of you having issues with installing it to an NVME m.2 drive, if you can get past the USB 3.0 driver issue, its not bad. I used Gigabyes usb driver injector on a Windows 7 ISO that I already had on on a USB thumbdrive. I had an extra SATA SSD sitting around so I tossed it in my system, installed Windows 7 to that, installed the Samsung 960 Pro drivers on the first boot, and cloned the drive over to the NVME ssd. After I used the patch that gets rid of the pesky "we dont support your cpu" bullshit, it was just fine.

Any proof or what...? Are you the Spanish Inquisition :)
The instability I experienced was due to incompatible RAM. Corsair Dominator Platinum v. 5.20 doesn't work on Asrock Taichi X399!
Windows 7-64 installs and boots on Samsung NVMe 960EVO and runs perfectly:

View attachment 50274
View attachment 50273
Hello! Thanks for sharing information regarding win 7 compatibility.
I am planing to purchase Asrock Taichi X399 too. What ram do you recommend?
I need 128gb of ram for 3d rendering and heavy photoshop job..

Hello! Thanks for sharing information regarding win 7 compatibility.
I am planing to purchase Asrock Taichi X399 too. What ram do you recommend?
I need 128gb of ram for 3d rendering and heavy photoshop job..
Well, I also do Photoshop (good old CS3) and 3d rendering and I very seldom experience that more than 8GB is being used, so 128GB for this purpose sound like crazy overkill!!!! (Have been doing professional graphic design on PC since 1992, when 32MB was a lot of RAM...!)
I can only recommend G-Skill Flare-X, which works right out of the box on max speed - 3200GHz in my case. If you buy Corsair, you need a particular version, which is usually not visible when buying on-line - this is a recipe for disaster).

Well, I also do Photoshop (good old CS3) and 3d rendering and I very seldom experience that more than 8GB is being used, so 128GB for this purpose sound like crazy overkill!!!! (Have been doing professional graphic design on PC since 1992, when 32MB was a lot of RAM...!)
I can only recommend G-Skill Flare-X, which works right out of the box on max speed - 3200GHz in my case. If you buy Corsair, you need a particular version, which is usually not visible when buying on-line - this is a recipe for disaster).

Thanks for shared info! G-skill is pretty rare in our country, but i get the point.
I also plan to do a big, over 32gb, ram disk for really fast works.

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to fight the Win10 current and install Win7 on my new Asus Prime X399-A mobo. Problem is I've only managed to succeed with MBR partition scheme, but what I want is to be able to install with GPT partition scheme and NTFS file system.
I'm unable to boot with the flash drive formated in GPT + NTFS.

A more detailed description of the problem and what I've tried so far can be found in a separate thread here

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to fight the Win10 current and install Win7 on my new Asus Prime X399-A mobo. Problem is I've only managed to succeed with MBR partition scheme, but what I want is to be able to install with GPT partition scheme and NTFS file system.

A more detailed description of the problem and what I've tried so far can be found in a separate thread here

Just install windows 10
Or install linux if you must. But just let windows 7 die already.

What's wrong with 7?

Hi everyone,

I think you need to slipstream NVMe drivers onto the 7 install?

It's not that, I've already done that and was successful otherwise I wouldn't have been able to install in MBR - Legacy mode.
I think it's BIOS related and I can't figure it out...

It's not that, I've already done that and was successful otherwise I wouldn't have been able to install in MBR - Legacy mode.
I think it's BIOS related and I can't figure it out...

From what I understand, despite the fact that you were able to install in MBR / Legacy mode, NVMe does not support it and therefore, will not work. Just use GPT, which Windows 7 fully supports.

What's wrong with 7?

It's EOL in like a year. It's already not getting anything save for critical security updates. People are going to make Win 7 the new XP. As others have said just install Win 10 and move on unless you have some enterprise software that doesn't run on Win 10. We had a similar problem here @ work but we've moved onto Win 10 across the entire enterprise now.

It's EOL in like a year. It's already not getting anything save for critical security updates. People are going to make Win 7 the new XP. As others have said just install Win 10 and move on unless you have some enterprise software that doesn't run on Win 10. We had a similar problem here @ work but we've moved onto Win 10 across the entire enterprise now.

Better to go to 8.1. than the abomination that is W10.

If it were just gaming/general usage, the suggestion "why not just upgrade to Win 10 and stop worrying" might be appropriate but not for those working on client projects.

"Windows 10 deleted my files/broke my application/project delayed because of forced update" , how will a client respond to this and what will happen to one's reputation.

Now some would say "I have delivered critical projects on Win 10 and it works perfectly for me!", good for you but that is one datapoint and might not apply to everyone.

People who are going through hoops to make Win 7 work, at the foremost require consistency/reliability and they do not want their workflow to be at mercy of Microsoft. Others loathe devious tactics of Microsoft's strong arming hardware manufacturers in stopping support for Win 7.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Ben Franklin

Please let us exercise our freedom to choose our OS and not let it be thrust down our throats. Thank you.

If it were just gaming/general usage, the suggestion "why not just upgrade to Win 10 and stop worrying" might be appropriate but not for those working on client projects.

"Windows 10 deleted my files/broke my application/project delayed because of forced update" , how will a client respond to this and what will happen to one's reputation.

Now some would say "I have delivered critical projects on Win 10 and it works perfectly for me!", good for you but that is one datapoint and might not apply to everyone.

People who are going through hoops to make Win 7 work, at the foremost require consistency/reliability and they do not want their workflow to be at mercy of Microsoft. Others loathe devious tactics of Microsoft's strong arming hardware manufacturers in stopping support for Win 7.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Ben Franklin

Please let us exercise our freedom to choose our OS and not let it be thrust down our throats. Thank you.

No one is forcing anyone to choose any OS, many people are just pointing out the flaws in the logic of installing an EOL OS that will have many security issues in the not-too-distant future. They are legitimate points whether you like it or not.

Various Linux builds are often a better choice than Windows 7 for everyone except for gamers and people that need specific programs that either don't have a linux alternative, they need that windows program, or they're working with other clients that will only accept familiar files(windows office and the like).

Even gamers concerned about privacy can dual boot with Linux & Windows 10. Only game on Windows, everything else on Linux.

Extremely valid points but certain applications like Adobe Photoshop and certain Digital Audio Workstation softwares, audio interface driver support severely constrain transition to Linux. Wish it were really not so.

Extremely valid points but certain applications like Adobe Photoshop and certain Digital Audio Workstation softwares, audio interface driver support severely constrain transition to Linux. Wish it were really not so.
Yea this is where I always end up, there are just a lot of applications that are not linux friendly in the professional/creative space.

Better to go to 8.1. than the abomination that is W10.

Fucking LOL. In what universe are we in where someone unironically compares Windows 8 to Windows 10 favourably?

And to all the people's gnashing of teeth about "MAH WORKFLOWS" and shit. Stop being a cheap ass and get a version of the OS to match your workflow. That is, don't run Windows 10 home when you have "serious" work being done on that computer.

Fucking LOL. In what universe are we in where someone unironically compares Windows 8 to Windows 10 favourably?

And to all the people's gnashing of teeth about "MAH WORKFLOWS" and shit. Stop being a cheap ass and get a version of the OS to match your workflow. That is, don't run Windows 10 home when you have "serious" work being done on that computer.
Why does it bother you so much that people want to avoid Win 10?

Why does it bother you so much that people want to avoid Win 10?

First and foremost people can run whatever OS they want. However, it should be expected that talking about it on a tech forum might get some less than favourable responses. Especially when some of the reasons behind not upgrading your OS are dubious at best.

It's felt like these arguments have been made about every version of Windows since the beginning of time. I guess it gets old after a while ;)

There's also that whole "don't run an OS that isn't getting security updates" thing. You're a liability on the Internet when you run an OS that old.

Win 7 will self implode at the end of its extended support or become a bot hub. There are no other options.

Well, maybe nothing will happen and even unpatched original Win 7 is still as secure as latest Win 10 in the hands of capable users, with zero issues of the latter. And no, no other Windows version received as much resistance as Win 10 and that is not by accident.

Wow, so much cock-gargling for that POS W10. Some of you just need to accept lots of people hate it and try not take it as some kind of personal crusade.

At least 8.1 has a later end of life than W7.

and even unpatched original Win 7 is still as secure as latest Win 10 in the hands of capable users, with zero issues of the latter. And no, no other Windows version received as much resistance as Win 10 and that is not by accident.

None of what you said here is actually true by any stretch.

Unpatched Windows 7 is a dumpster fire security wise. The gnashing of teeth about updating from Win XP is legendary compared to people complaining about Win 10. Not even close. ;)

It must be a miracle I had zero infections on multiple Win 7 RTM machines.

As for your Win XP statements, 7 and 10's adoption rate easily disproves your statements.

It must be a miracle I had zero infections on multiple Win 7 RTM machines.

As for your Win XP statements, 7 and 10's adoption rate easily disproves your statements.

Again you're wrong.

Windows XP market share in 2009 (8 years after it's released) was 80%. It took Windows 7 nearly 3 years to reach parity with XP and it took XP until the later half of 2012 to drop below 30% market share.

Windows 10 has had quite a meteoric rise mostly due to it being a free upgrade for quite some time so there's no surprise there.

Windows 8 and 8.1 are basically wet farts stats wise.

StatCounter-windows_version-ww-monthly-200901-201902.png

Again you're wrong.

Windows XP market share in 2009 (8 years after it's released) was 80%. It took Windows 7 nearly 3 years to reach parity with XP and it took XP until the later half of 2012 to drop below 30% market share.

Windows 10 has had quite a meteoric rise mostly due to it being a free upgrade for quite some time so there's no surprise there.

Windows 8 and 8.1 are basically wet farts stats wise.

View attachment 145436
Your own chart proves me right, and even more so when you take into account all the forced and free upgrades to Win 10. It's down right abysmal adoption rate compared to Win 7, when the latter was even a much bigger qualitative and quantitative SW jump. And the third point in Win 7's favour is that it never got as much, or for as long, the hate Win 10 is still getting.

Dude we were talking about Win XP and the amount of hate people had for WIn 7 and how there was even more gnashing of teeth. Stay on target my man.

Dude we were talking about Threadripper on Windows 7....
All this get Windows 10 SPAM is not the purpose of the thread.

About Windows 7 on Threadripper.
I am thinking, due to 3900X unavailable and 3950X not yet on market, of trying 1950X on Threadripper plateform but on Windows 7. I know Ryzen 3000 do work with WIndows 7.
However there is some info that there are BIOSES that should be avoided that forbid any Windows 7 installation on Threadripper. It is supposed that all BIOses supporting Threadripper 2000 series are incompatible with Windows 7, that would make any Threadripper 2000 incompatible. Is this still true ??? Because maybe I could get a 2990Wx. I am not confident new Threadripper plateform will be still compatible with older one and that it will support Windows 7 and 2990WX is fairly ok for me (even 1950X is).
Are there people who listed all the updates that should be avoided to run Windows 7 flawlessly, up to newest updates available ? There are some encryption API that are needed as they are new encryption standards on networks and they are included in this spring and summer updates.

Back