Threadripper and Windows 7

Just ordered a TR setup but given there aren't even motherboard drivers for W7 for my mobo I dont know I will even try to install W7. Will likely go the Linux/GPU Passthough route.

Samsung 850 Pro is a SATA drive, so you do not need NVMe to be bootable.
Get any TR, MSI Carbon Pro board, patch Win7 installation and you are good to go...
I thought that 850 series also includes nvme versions of drives.
Thanks for patching up

Thanks! Good to hear encouraging news!

I had my heart set on an ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme mobo - has anyone had experience with that one? How does the MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon compare, feature-wise?

Holy.. Microcenter went nuts: 1950x - $699.99, 1920x - $499.99, 1900x - $349.99 and of course $30.00 off, if you get motherboard....

Just got back from Microcenter - Got mine!

Thanks! Good to hear encouraging news!

I had my heart set on an ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme mobo - has anyone had experience with that one? How does the MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon compare, feature-wise?

Just got back from Microcenter - Got mine!

Enjoy! No idea about Asus. How do you plan to cool it?

Aha, i know this info. It seems that i'd rather install Linux, than Windows 10. Photoshop and Illustrator hold me on Win7.

Out of curiosity what specifically about those programs hold you to Win 7? My wife is a professional photographer/artist and she's using all the pre-cloud Adobe software without issue on Windows 10 (If there was even the slightest issue I'd know ;) ).

Out of curiosity what specifically about those programs hold you to Win 7? My wife is a professional photographer/artist and she's using all the pre-cloud Adobe software without issue on Windows 10 (If there was even the slightest issue I'd know ;) ).
Stanley, there are two things here.
1 - i'd like to run *my* programs on *my* computer, not some cloud-service
2 - win10 bloated with spyware and there is no way to fix this completely, only workarounds available and i don't buy it. So, for me privacy is important aspect.

When Win 7 expires completely i will switch to Linux. That's my statement.

Stanley, there are two things here.
1 - i'd like to run *my* programs on *my* computer, not some cloud-service
2 - win10 bloated with spyware and there is no way to fix this completely, only workarounds available and i don't buy it. So, for me privacy is important aspect.

When Win 7 expires completely i will switch to Linux. That's my statement.

My feelings exactly - The next version of Windows, or the version after that, will probably be some sort of "subscription OS", and we'll have to pay monthly just to keep our PCs running (and they'll be even more intrusive with spyware). Screw That! Then they'll try to push us into renting our computers, and we won't own anything.

Opt out while you can! DECLARE YOUR FREEDOM!!! [Brave Heart music in the background]

Last edited:
My feelings exactly - The next version of Windows, or the version after that, will probably be some sort of "subscription OS", and we'll have to pay monthly just to keep our PCs running. Screw That! Then they'll try to push us into renting our computers, and we won't own anything.

Opt out while you can! DECLARE YOUR FREEDOM!!! [Brave Heart music in the background]
Exactly, +1

There will always be Linux for open source. That's open source for you. Microsoft walks a thin line. I use Open Office (Apache) as it is more versatile.

It's like that every time a new OS comes out...the OCD/Tinfoilhat people always cracks me up
It is not imaginary fears, just launch wireshark and see what's going on. And btw this so called os does not bring anything usefull to my work process. Zero improvement.
And how do you like new feature of adding/removing components without asking user? how about constantly resetting user settings?
Looks like operating system for cattle, not humans.

It is not imaginary fears, just launch wireshark and see what's going on. And btw this so called os does not bring anything usefull to my work process. Zero improvement.
And how do you like new feature of adding/removing components without asking user? how about constantly resetting user settings?

"Constantly resetting the user settings." Yep, every morning, I have to set my computer all back up, really, trust me. /s :LOL::eek::rolleyes: Good thing I have not ever had to do that even once. (Four computers, upgraded to 1703 and 1709, settings completely intact.)

I have question regarding compatibility of AMD Threadripper and Windows 7. Do they compatible?
FYI: I want to use it with nvme drive. Is it possible?
I want to hear opinion of real owner of such rig, not just official mambo-jambo.

Currently i am using Ryzen 7 under Windows 7 without any hassles.

Microsoft will block you from running Windows updates but it will install and work. Apparently you can bypass that with a registry hack or some BS but no telling how long that will work for.

I know what is going on, I work in IT...sorry that Win10 doesn't do anything for the special snowflake tasks you have chosen as metric, but in the rest of the world Win7 is slower, has less features and runs better on hardware (it also has a larger foot-print in the system) and is more cumbersome to use.

May I suggest Win 1.0 to you...you seem to like outdated software?

People sticking to Windows 7 are the new Windows XP grognards. Also the bane of all IT/Support the world over.

Its laughable how people think that switching to linux will protect their privacy. Do you browse the internet? there goes your privacy...
i browse through custom proxy + vpn. this is my privacy.
Anyways, we are getting out of scope of the thread)

I know what is going on, I work in IT...sorry that Win10 doesn't do anything for the special snowflake tasks you have chosen as metric, but in the rest of the world Win7 is slower, has less features and runs better on hardware (it also has a larger foot-print in the system) and is more cumbersome to use.

May I suggest Win 1.0 to you...you seem to like outdated software?

Slower? Run only those services that you need and you'll see the magic. Windows 10 has plethora of bloated services, of course they help to run this top-notch os faster and consume less ram. I don't do unprofessional conclusions and always check the reality.
Less features? I do raster/vector editing, 3d modeling and produce sound. No limitation is visible. Limitation is in brain cells. No more, no less.
Sarcasm regarding Win1.0 was pretty childish.

Anyway, i don't want to argue with anyone regarding OS selection. You like Win 10? Go ahead - use it.
I like Win 7 - that's my choice. Some like it, some don't. This is quite normal situation.

Words of wisdom, agreed.
So, back to the topic. Currently, as I understand, only Msi carbon is compatible..

I don't have any experience with TR (I do have a 950 pro working fine as my boot drive in Win7), so I'll just add that Win7 doesn't have native support for NVMe or USB3, you'll need to slipstream drivers for the install (as you should do for any install of 7 along with all the updates).
Of course that assumes the manufacturer has made Win7 drivers available, check for downloadable drivers before you buy if you're concerned.

As for the Win10 trolls, Win7 still has security updates till 2020, so find something better to occupy your time till then :)

I tired getting my new TR build to work but as my mobo only has USB 3.0 ports theres no way to get the keyboard or mouse to work even when booting off of an existing W7 hard drive. I dont really feel like jumping through hoops to make it work as I will have a backup rig with W7 on it and I have Ubuntu now installed on the Threadripper. Microsofts desire to force people in a certain direction will only force me into a non-MS one.

I'm pretty sure the AMD chipset drivers have USB3 ones included, if you can install them to the driver repository using another computer then it should work?

God damn it! No support :(
I think that high end EPYC cpus (32 cores and up) will have the same specs also....

Microsoft doesn't want to support new processors on anything prior to Windows 10. It's not that AMD doesn't want you to use Windows 7/8.x; it's Microsoft. While you can probably get things to work just know that Microsoft won't support it.
Why should they be compatible with a 8 year old OS? That's like saying they should of supported a Core 2 Duo on Windows 98.

Because extended support for Windows 7 doesn't end until January 14th, 2020?
Windows 7 is in Extended support phase between 2015 and 2020. This means that only security updates or non-security updates required to connect to Windows Update or other services to maintain Extended support will be offered.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14085

Feature updates (like adding compatibility for hardware) is only active during Mainstream support.

If Extended support was actually Mainstream support, then it wouldn't be called Extended support now would it?

I run Windows 10 Insider Edition so I have no skin in this argument or whatever this is called. But if I had purchased a non-OEM version of Windows 7 I would want it to retain value to when it was no longer receiving updates (end of support, extended or otherwise).

When a company charges for an operating system I expect it to have better support for new hardware than a volunteer-based operating system available at no or low cost *cough*Linux*cough*.

I tired getting my new TR build to work but as my mobo only has USB 3.0 ports theres no way to get the keyboard or mouse to work even when booting off of an existing W7 hard drive. I dont really feel like jumping through hoops to make it work as I will have a backup rig with W7 on it and I have Ubuntu now installed on the Threadripper. Microsofts desire to force people in a certain direction will only force me into a non-MS one.

I changed my mind (had nothing better to do) and decided to make it go anyways. Managed to get W7 working with my new Threadripper/Zenith Extreme combo. MS doesn't make it easy though. Nothing I tried to including slip streaming USB/Chipset drivers into the install media would work and my mobo has no PS2 ports...

Basically I took a working Windows 7 SSD out of another computer, plugged it in and booted. It booted OK and had no USB functionality as expected - but miraculously the built in network port worked - and I was able to RDP to the machine and install the AMD drivers. Now its all good. Much wowzers.

You do not need PS2/USB2 to make installation. Slipstream USB3 drivers (NTLite or ASROCK USB3 installer) and you can use USB3 ports for keyboard, mouse and pen-drive.
Did tested some ideas and made Win7 installation on UEFI (intel 750), but it didn't finish it (0x000000d error) after first reboot. To make it more interesting, that installation finished perfectly on a Ryzen.

You do not need PS2/USB2 to make installation. Slipstream USB3 drivers (NTLite or ASROCK USB3 installer) and you can use USB3 ports for keyboard, mouse and pen-drive.
Did tested some ideas and made Win7 installation on UEFI (intel 750), but it didn't finish it (0x000000d error) after first reboot. To make it more interesting, that installation finished perfectly on a Ryzen.

I tired that method first as it would be the most logical, but couldn't get NTLite to mount my windows images for some reason. I tried the ASROCK USB3 installer which updated the install media correctly but it still wouldn't recognize my USB devices. No idea why.

i can confirm asus prime x-399-a with win 7 instalation BUT problem was this mobo has no PS2 conector so u cant use your mouse or keyboard with clasic win 7 sp1 instal dvd so u have to download iso with usb 3 /or 2/ drivers and then u will be able to install win 7 on this board ....
i had to do this way because of my older 3ds max 2010 instalation refused to install on win 10 ....

i can confirm asus prime x-399-a with win 7 instalation BUT problem was this mobo has no PS2 conector so u cant use your mouse or keyboard with clasic win 7 sp1 instal dvd so u have to download iso with usb 3 /or 2/ drivers and then u will be able to install win 7 on this board ....
i had to do this way because of my older 3ds max 2010 instalation refused to install on win 10 ....
Thanks for reporting model of the mobo.

So much misinformation in this thread....!
Threadripper 1950X owner here, installed Windows 7 on Samsung 960EVO NVMe M.2 drive as only disk drive on Asrock Taichi X399. Boots fine, no problems. But I couldn't get Win 7 to be stable, so now I am back on Windows 10 :-(

Back