The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

ME4 is probably too far along for changes, I just hope it is "kind of" open world like DA:I - not saying it was great, but much better than the corridors of DA:O.

I think Witcher is going to be a wake up call for a lot of companies. If they put similar effort into Cyberpunk 2077 then it is going to be an awesome game.

Yeah but my issue with this is that there is so much stuff going on through out the world, it is impossible to stay at the right level when finishing them all.

For example, doing all secondary quests and witcher contracts available before progressing to next main quest/zone will actually make you higher level then the recommended main quest level.

This is my issue.... Not being able to do whatever I want whenever I want with out a repercussion.

The fact that you will always be OP if you stick to this method.... that's why I find scaling actually works. So you can essentially expand/explore/level up however you want, with out the challenge of the game going away.....

Where is the fun at when I'm level 16 and still doing side quests that I can easily finish, when the main story is only at level 12?

And if that's the case, they shouldn't have higher level contracts/side quests available unless you hit a certain point in the main quest log.... it becomes a cluster.

Yeah the levelling system really does seem kind of wonky. Plus I really wish that the random ? markers, once you discover what they are, would be marked with an approximate level as well (for instance you come across a level 24 monster at level 6, I'd like to know it was level 24 for next time I go there rather than having to remember/guess).

They need some extra DLC's for this game. Something like more side quests from more characters or something.

Yeah but my issue with this is that there is so much stuff going on through out the world, it is impossible to stay at the right level when finishing them all.

For example, doing all secondary quests and witcher contracts available before progressing to next main quest/zone will actually make you higher level then the recommended main quest level.

This is my issue.... Not being able to do whatever I want whenever I want with out a repercussion.

The fact that you will always be OP if you stick to this method.... that's why I find scaling actually works. So you can essentially expand/explore/level up however you want, with out the challenge of the game going away.....

Where is the fun at when I'm level 16 and still doing side quests that I can easily finish, when the main story is only at level 12?

And if that's the case, they shouldn't have higher level contracts/side quests available unless you hit a certain point in the main quest log.... it becomes a cluster.

Level scaling is dull.

Level scaling is dull.

Eh, please be a bit more specific on how or why?

The way I play is to not have to worry about if I'm going to be too OP or too ahead of where I should be. This is an issue with RPGS now adays. It's not necessarily freedom to do everything you want, it's a somewhat flawed concept.

To search and destroy or to hunt, explore, loot treasures etc.... these are all at your disposal to essentially find at anytime. But when you have all these things that add on to your experience bar/level, you become a higher level than recommended. It makes the game less rewarding when you finally do the main quests.

Some of you may say, stick to the main quests more. Sure, but then again, some secondary quests vanish or are failed if you carry too far along.

It just doesn't make sense to have an abundance of things to do and essentially you can't do them all with out being at a higher level than the main story.

I guess things could have been a bit more linear until mid to end game, or have a different kind of reward instead of XP.

If you do the math, if you finish everything in game. Do you think you'll be behind, ahead or just about where the end game is?

I will say though, I am more than satisfied on every other aspect of the game.

Last edited:
good to see you guys having fun, mine is being marinated, its being cultivated with patches and dlcs until its matured, i want to savor it at its best! :)

Eh, please be a bit more specific on how or why?

The way I play is to not have to worry about if I'm going to be too OP or too ahead of where I should be. This is an issue with RPGS now adays. It's not necessarily freedom to do everything you want, it's a somewhat flawed concept.

To search and destroy or to hunt, explore, loot treasures etc.... these are all at your disposal to essentially find at anytime. But when you have all these things that add on to your experience bar/level, you become a higher level than recommended. It makes the game less rewarding when you finally do the main quests.

Some of you may say, stick to the main quests more. Sure, but then again, some secondary quests vanish or are failed if you carry too far along.

It just doesn't make sense to have an abundance of things to do and essentially you can't do them all with out being at a higher level than the main story.

I guess things could have been a bit more linear until mid to end game, or have a different kind of reward instead of XP.

If you do the math, if you finish everything in game. Do you think you'll be behind, ahead or just about where the end game is?

I will say though, I am more than satisfied on every other aspect of the game.

Well...for me personally I love going to a certain area in a game and getting absolutely owned. Dark Souls does that and the Witcher does that...level scaling is just...so boring to me because rarely is it done well and the game's difficulty is the same throughout the entire game. Oblivion had zero challenge in my opinion because of that.

What I personally would like to see if side quests not scaled but main story quests scaled to an extent. I'm usually the type to go do sidequests first and it would be great if the main story quest scaled somewhat with me so when I go back i'm not overpowered.

What's dumb about the game (with regards to no lvl scaling), is that the guards...... Holy cow are they strong. LVL 34? Come on! I can kill them one on one, but any more than that, they eventually get a chance to one hit me.

It's a wonder all the monsters aren't dead yet, silver or no silver.

Kinda weird immersion breaking for me is when I have a quest highlighted....I'm doing the Questa for the 2nd upgraded griffin witcher gear...I'm heading towards the marker and I run into this boss monster, and then I get this pop up saying another quest has updated, which I never even knew about or started. I kill the monster and now the quest is completed as soon as I return to the village. I never even started this quest?The quest was activated because I ran into the monster boss while I was out looking for the griffin upgrade gear and doing that quest. That kind of sucks because I never even got to read the story about what lead up to this boss monster.... Think I'm going to reload a previous save and stay away from that area....

It actually makes sense because if you come across a contract on the board to kill a monster without reading the contract then you get a quest completed once you read the contract about it. The monster is static in this case, unlike other games, the monsters and things spawn and are present when you actually start the quest, kind of gay tbh. Because the game can't control when and what quests and monster contracts players will do since their is so many of them.

Kinda weird immersion breaking for me is when I have a quest highlighted....I'm doing the Questa for the 2nd upgraded griffin witcher gear...I'm heading towards the marker and I run into this boss monster, and then I get this pop up saying another quest has updated, which I never even knew about or started. I kill the monster and now the quest is completed as soon as I return to the village. I never even started this quest?The quest was activated because I ran into the monster boss while I was out looking for the griffin upgrade gear and doing that quest. That kind of sucks because I never even got to read the story about what lead up to this boss monster.... Think I'm going to reload a previous save and stay away from that area....

Usually the dialogue will indicate that this was the case, if you happened upon the monster. I think they handle out-of-place quest logic pretty well for a game this size. I wouldn't have them change it at all.

Reverting back to 352.86 drivers, 353.06 is giving me frame drops up to 9fps in W3 and 15fps in Project Car's. Did a fresh driver install and same result. Fuck you nvidia.

yeah, you pick up a contract, the monsters and red clues spawn, regardless of if they are selected. So if you are wandering and see red blobs, then you are crossing paths with a quest, better to leave the area. Investigations will skip steps like "talk to x" so it becomes confusing

Anybody here have a dedicated gpu for physx? any game play differences?

I do, and it's never has usage. I don't think The Witcher 3 uses GPU Physx. At one time it was supposed to...

Just like in Farcry 4 Hairworks is not Physx although everyone likes to pretend it is.

Yeah, here, on this page it changed from a green check to just FX. FX means CPU Physx. http://physxinfo.com/

Ladies of the Wood question. Minor spoilers below.

In the cutscene where Ciri escapes the witches, am I supposed to see the evil spirit that I freed in the background AKA the red eyed horse?

Because I saw the horse run by in the background as Ciri was running away which made no sense given the timeline. Ciri's scene was a flashback so the red eyed horse didn't even exist yet.

Did anyone else see the horse in that cutscene? Or was the horse just randomly wandering around and it's just a coincidence that it "photo bombed" the cutscene?"

Last edited:
Use spoiler tags man, it's the word spoilers with [] brackets, and a /spoilers with [] brackets at the end.

I just finished Deserters Gold quest and received no XP. Did the quest glitch on me?

I'm still not completely sure how the XP handouts work in this game, but I think it's a little more complicated than some other RPG's you might be used to... so possibly not a glitch.

That's a treasure hunt quest - I think the reward for that may just be the treasure, not XP, unless it also includes killing some big beastie along the way. Also I think you are awarded less XP for doing quests and killing enemies that are significantly below your level. Also there isn't a popup message every time you get XP like at the end of major quests, sometimes you just have to keep a close eye on the number in the character screens. It may only go up by a very slight amount, but you do get a tiny bit even for completing/killing low-level stuff. Maybe not treasure-hunts - not sure about that.

In previous witcher games there was xp scaling on monsters, so you could not indefinitely farm. I think the xp scaling issue will be related to this, but it has affected quests. people are bitching, but the "right" fix may be fairly complex

Tried a bunch of combinations... Couldn't get anything to work.

Test
[spoilers]Test[/spoilers]
[SPOILERS]Test[/SPOILERS]

try spoiler=Penis Enlargement with brackets [] around it. and ending with /spoiler

I'm still not completely sure how the XP handouts work in this game, but I think it's a little more complicated than some other RPG's you might be used to... so possibly not a glitch.

That's a treasure hunt quest - I think the reward for that may just be the treasure, not XP, unless it also includes killing some big beastie along the way. Also I think you are awarded less XP for doing quests and killing enemies that are significantly below your level. Also there isn't a popup message every time you get XP like at the end of major quests, sometimes you just have to keep a close eye on the number in the character screens. It may only go up by a very slight amount, but you do get a tiny bit even for completing/killing low-level stuff. Maybe not treasure-hunts - not sure about that.

I think it really depends on your actions. I saved right before talking to the quartermaster on one of the contracts, so I could go back and choose the other dialogue. If I chose the money, I got 10 xp and $50. If I said screw you and no to the money, I got different dialogue but received 35 xp but no money....I don't know but I'm sure the xp trumps the $$ in the long run

Money is pretty useless in the long run. I have 45k, and that's not taking a couple of people's money. But you are right, that it's sometimes a money vs exp.

Though... I'm not sure how much EXP would really help. Being a lvl 21, I can beat higher lvl monsters fairly easily. It's the groups that give ma trouble. But even then, if I get a little luck it's not so bad either. I'm still halfway through the story line I think. Still doing Novigrad's story so I'm sure there are more EXP to be had.

Tried a bunch of combinations... Couldn't get anything to work.

Test
[spoilers]Test[/spoilers]
[SPOILERS]Test[/SPOILERS]

It works just like the "Insert Hyperlink" option.
Type the text you want in the spoiler window, select your text, click the hyperlink button, instead of the "http..." type in the text you want on the button, hit OK then change the "URL" in the tags to "Spoiler"

I suck at making money in this game. Went broke repairing armor and weapons.

use a trainer for gold, so lame system u need spends hours to find loot to sell profit for gold.. fuk that i dont have time for that nonsense....:mad:

You really just need to NOT repair weapons and armor to have a chance of making money in this game. I've been running around with a red sword and red chest armor and it barely makes a difference.

no idea what you guys are talking about, ran into tight spots when i sold something by accident and had to rebuy it for way too much. but other than that, its been easy going moneywise. you can always craft repair kits and repair youself which is a lot cheaper. and sell to the right vendors. dont sell your armor to some vegetable merchant for fucks sake. gotta RP in this game man

How do you craft repair kits? I never found any diagram for those and I'm 40 hours in...

Back