The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

with that wealth of info my best sarcastic answer would be "really hot" and "not for long" if its unplugged.

Well, for starters. He has an i7 cpu, 16 gb ram.

These I am most sure of will perform as needed.

Hence why I didn't state them.

The 680m is an Nvidia GPU if you weren't familiar. I asked how this GPU performs with the game. Not how his system will hold up.

K thanks. ;)

This game is incredible. Even with the graphics being less than hoped. The craftsmanship quality is as high as any game i have ever played. All quests feel original and have unique characters. The design of the world is a marvel. The game just has such deep character and immense scope. Top 5 game all time for me. Well done Poland!

anyone know if there are benefits of carrying over a savegame from TW2?

It affects the surroundings and the Redania vs Nilfgard war a bit.

Also if you got the tattoo from TW2, that will carry over.

If you don't have the save file, you can still "choose-your-own-adventure" to set your actions from TW2 after leaving the White Orchard area (which is a few main story quest actions after the beginning of the game).

My buddy just picked up an MSI gaming laptop.

It has a 680m gpu, anyone know how this will perform for TW3?

If it's 1080p I'd guess around medium. That GPU is between a 750ti and a 960 so it's not too shabby. Depends a lot on if he wants 30 FPS or 60. He might be able to do more high settings if he locks Vsync at 30. A 960 can do high and a 750ti can do medium IIRC.

Also anything but full screen kills performance. Make sure this game is in full screen.

Well, for starters. He has an i7 cpu, 16 gb ram.

These I am most sure of will perform as needed.

Hence why I didn't state them.

The 680m is an Nvidia GPU if you weren't familiar. I asked how this GPU performs with the game. Not how his system will hold up.

K thanks. ;)

680m is a bottleneck all the way on that IMHO.

If he can swing it he really ought to consider an upgrade on that GPU to a 980m or something like that. (If I have my numbers right.)

Medium is about the best I see for him as is.

shame this game runs so poorly and needs 980GTX SLI to enjoy it :(

Not so.
With a 980 @ 1400/1500 core, I can hold 60fps @1080p almost all the time with the following tweaks:

All settings max except no blur, Foliage visibility down one notch, Chromatic Aberration off, Vignetting off.
(most of those are just preferences, only foliage has a high impact)

In rendering .ini:
UseHairWorks=true
HairWorksAALevel=4

I'm enjoying it immensely!

Should I not mess with any of it?

Its a great thread, all the tweaks listed in one place.
I read it all and employ a few tweaks already, am going to apply a few more.
Recommended reading, cheers for posting it.

Should I not mess with any of it?

Some things may help like loading parameters. You can give it a shot but make sure you backup the files so you can replace the originals if it gets jacked up. I tried some simple things like view distance and grass density and it got all jazzy. Then read 1.04 messed up some things. If you read the thread a lot of them purposely stayed on 1.03.

I was talking about settings files above, specifically grass density and such.

Things like sweetFX should not give any problems. I think I'm going to do reshade and sweetFX right now...

Edit: that sweetFX preset is awesome. Game looks fantastic with the yellow gone. Not sure why they did that.

Last edited:

It runs 60fps on a single GTX 970 @1080p Ultra without hairworks, and 2880x1620 locked 30fps all ultra no hairworks. Both with SweetFX and SMAA. You can do 4k if you turn a couple settings from Ultra to high at a locked 30fps as well.

So unplayable :rolleyes:

Patch 1.05 patched scheduled for Monday.

Anybody else having problems with the Swords or Dumplings side quest in Novigrad? Where you have to enlist a bodyguard for Haltori the bodyguard isn`t present in the marked area.

I think I saw in a different thread you have a GTX750? Should give you about the same settings as the consoles. ;) Not bad for an $80 card.

I don't know, I grew up with Super Mario. Doesn't take much to amuse me. This game is the best looking game I've seen for the scope and even better with sweetFX which is a ten minute tweak.

Patch 1.05 patched scheduled for Monday.

Anybody else having problems with the Swords or Dumplings side quest in Novigrad? Where you have to enlist a bodyguard for Haltori the bodyguard isn`t present in the marked area.

its a nighttime mission, many markers and such only appear during certain times

Ya I agree, the maps are almost un-usable. Im a Witcher newbie, never played any previous games. And trying to use the maps makes me want to tear my eyes out.

I don't know if I ran into a quest bug or what. But I'm on the contract Devil by the well. It won't complete for me. I can't get the ghost to come out. I've got everything, book, and bracelet. Went into the well about 3 different times. On the wiki, it says I need to burn the body. Well it won't let me.

Then I left the area, to see if the quest giver Odelan will complete the quest for me. And it still showing as not completed. It wont trigger.

So then I try to return to the well, and I can't find it on the map. I have no idea where its at, and it doesn't show up with the arrow on the mini-map.

So frustrated right now.

Edit: Well I figured it out. I was trying to read the book in the inventory. Found out I needed to open the Biastry. Finally completed the quest. Now I just made it to Vasimir, with that hot brunette chick Yennifer.

Last edited:
Anyone else wish that you could toggle on all quest markers on the map? So you can see if you are nearby a quest you have instead of having to flip through each quest every so oftne to see where it is.

Ya I agree, the maps are almost un-usable. Im a Witcher newbie, never played any previous games. And trying to use the maps makes me want to tear my eyes out.

I don't know if I ran into a quest bug or what. But I'm on the contract Devil by the well. It won't complete for me. I can't get the ghost to come out. I've got everything, book, and bracelet. Went into the well about 3 different times. On the wiki, it says I need to burn the body. Well it won't let me.

Then I left the area, to see if the quest giver Odelan will complete the quest for me. And it still showing as not completed. It wont trigger.

So then I try to return to the well, and I can't find it on the map. I have no idea where its at, and it doesn't show up with the arrow on the mini-map.

So frustrated right now.

Read your journal.

The quest itself is pretty good at telling you exactly what to do, if you need to wait a certain time or not, etc.

The well should be marked on your map but make sure you are "Tracking" that quest, then simply press "tab" while your map is open to show you wehre it is.

Whoever did the economy and quests rewards needs to be in a different line of work.

Finished some side quests today, ~10 or more (i'm lvl 17) and none of them rewarded me with over 50 Crowns. It costs me more to repair my equipment for the quests than the reward for the quest. After 10 quests that took over 3.5 hours i netted a total of 370 Crowns -- this includes looting while questing and selling the shitty gear I find. One quest, a lvl 15 quest for killing a Wyvern and returning a sword, rewarded me with 20 Crowns.....I mean really? :rolleyes:

This game has a fucked up economy. Who OK'D this?

Thank god for mods to fix this shit.

Last edited:

So frustrated right now.

The bones are right by the well, since you pulled them out of it when you were going in. Use your witcher sense, they should be highlighted in red. If that doesn't work, reload.

Whoever did the economy and quests rewards needs to be in a different line of work.

Finished some side quests today, ~10 or more (i'm lvl 17) and none of them rewarded me with over 50 Crowns. It costs me more to repair my equipment for the quests than the reward for the quest. After 10 quests that took over 3.5 hours i netted a total of 370 Crowns.

Try doing some witcher contracts. They almost always net at least 250 crowns. I'm on Death March and I haven't had to worry about money since White Orchard.

Finished some side quests today, ~10 or more (i'm lvl 17) and none of them rewarded me with over 50 Crowns. It costs me more to repair my equipment for the quests than the reward for the quest. After 10 quests that took over 3.5 hours i netted a total of 370 Crowns.

Yes, the vendors also pay shit for your goods.

I mean I had a 743 value armor, the vendors all would pay like 50 for it, that's laughable.

I think the issue is they want you to struggle for cash (like most Witchers, they aren't exactly "rich" in the books) but at the same time they have developed so much loot/items in teh game they need to balance it out. So instead of giving you more reasonable prices for the things you loot (Which witchers wouldn't really do in the books) they had to balance around this aspect and make everything less valueable to compensate, including side-quest rewards and such.

Hell I made more money doing the Horse racing/Fisst fighting then I have doing any sidequest.

I think if they really wanted to stick to the books they should have trimmed back on all the "lootable" items and things.

I mean one of the first things many peopel do when getting into a town is to go to each hou se looting and finding things, as though you're some kind of bandit and it's balanced around people doing that so it has a ripple effect on the other parts of the economy to compensate for that.

If they cut back on that, trimmed down on allt he "junk" and other items you pick up to sell and make lootables more realistic (you wouldn't loot someone's clothing/armor, likely couldn't use it yourself and it'd weigh you down while traveling) they could have made the monster-contracts where you get the brunt of your money and left the Witcher gear in there to spend it on and balanced it around the aspect of monster hunting>get paid>make witcher gear you find the schematics for.

I mean I had a 743 value armor, the vendors all would pay like 50 for it, that's laughable.

I think the issue is they want you to struggle for cash (like most Witchers, they aren't exactly "rich" in the books) but at the same time they have developed so much loot/items in teh game they need to balance it out. So instead of giving you more reasonable prices for the things you loot (Which witchers wouldn't really do in the books) they had to balance around this aspect and make everything less valueable to compensate, including side-quest rewards and such.

Hell I made more money doing the Horse racing/Fisst fighting then I have doing any sidequest.

I think if they really wanted to stick to the books they should have trimmed back on all the "lootable" items and things.

I mean one of the first things many peopel do when getting into a town is to go to each hou se looting and finding things, as though you're some kind of bandit and it's balanced around people doing that so it has a ripple effect on the other parts of the economy to compensate for that.

If they cut back on that, trimmed down on allt he "junk" and other items you pick up to sell and make lootables more realistic (you wouldn't loot someone's clothing/armor, likely couldn't use it yourself and it'd weigh you down while traveling) they could have made the monster-contracts where you get the brunt of your money and left the Witcher gear in there to spend it on and balanced it around the aspect of monster hunting>get paid>make witcher gear you find the schematics for.

Yeah. Some of CDPR design decsions in this game are just downright derpy as hell.

The more I play this game the more I want to reinstall a modded Skyrim. Or just wait for the bugfixes and mods to improve the game.

Once again, sell it to the appropriate vendor and you'll get much more.

I swear half the shit being griped about here is L2Play. The guy complaining about not seeing the objective on the map hasn't bothered to learn how quest tracking works. This game isn't that complicated.

Finished some side quests today, ~10 or more (i'm lvl 17) and none of them rewarded me with over 50 Crowns. It costs me more to repair my equipment for the quests than the reward for the quest. After 10 quests that took over 3.5 hours i netted a total of 370 Crowns -- this includes looting while questing and selling the shitty gear I find. One quest, a lvl 15 quest for killing a Wyvern and returning a sword, rewarded me with 20 Crowns.....I mean really? :rolleyes:

They key to making money is to find the right buyer. If you just go to any one available you will get cheated. I remember while traveling I was selling to any blacksmiths and merchants I ran into and most only offered me like 20-50coins for Relic level gear. And I let it go cause of overburdening. But then I got to Novigrad there is a blacksmith and armorer you want to sell to. That is where you can actually get real fair money for the relic level gear (I get from 200-800 coins each depending on it's level). I am level 21 and I have an excess for 9k. A typical contract is 150-250 and then the loot if you end up selling it and not using it usually nets another 200-400.

IIRC I think you have to examine the bones. It puts the items with the body. Then I think you have to select igni from the spells menu to light it on fire. It was a while ago so I forget if it did it automatically or not. FYI sometimes as you explore you'll run into a torch or something that won't highlight to ignite, but if you try to cast igni in that direction it will light. :)

They key to making money is to find the right buyer. If you just go to any one available you will get cheated. I remember while traveling I was selling to any blacksmiths and merchants I ran into and most only offered me like 20-50coins for Relic level gear. And I let it go cause of overburdening. But then I got to Novigrad there is a blacksmith and armorer you want to sell to. That is where you can actually get real fair money for the relic level gear (I get from 200-800 coins each depending on it's level). I am level 21 and I have an excess for 9k. A typical contract is 150-250 and then the loot if you end up selling it and not using it usually nets another 200-400.

IIRC I think you have to examine the bones. It puts the items with the body. Then I think you have to select igni from the spells menu to light it on fire. It was a while ago so I forget if it did it automatically or not. FYI sometimes as you explore you'll run into a torch or something that won't highlight to ignite, but if you try to cast igni in that direction it will light. :)

I have already used a mod to fix the merchants. They have better deals and give more gold for certain items. The quest rewards are still garbage though.

I am level 17 and have about 28k gold. Money is overrated, there is nothing to buy and crafting is dirt cheap if you have the schematics. Repairing stuff is a waste of time. Do it for boss fights, otherwise @ 0% it only knocks off 10% of stats, which is somewhat insignificant. There are merchants that pay full price around the big city, but limited money. You can also "farm" money by buying seashells and turning them into pearls. But again, somewhat pointless,.

How do I select my skills in this game? I'm on the Character screen and it says I have 1 Point available. I select the empty box, and it says place a skill here to activate it. But I cannot figure out how to then add a skill from the left there?

I'm level 2, first unlock. There are a row of skills free, double clicking, dragging, nothing works.

Help?

Select the skill, then acquire it, then drag it to an empty box on the right. I believe the "Acquire" button is spacebar or E. Check the button prompt in the bottom-right corner.
You have to spend skill points on the skill (up to 5 each) before you can activate it on your skill menu.

I am on death march and since I discovered swallow to heal I haven't had issues with money. I just craft new gear every so often...

I even accidentally crafted an expensive silver sword that is lvl 13 req't and I am only 6. Well it's ready for me! Haha.

Swallow? Nah bro. If you're going signs, Alt Quen is the best way to heal. Walking into poison, you'll heal quickly. As long as the enemy isn't SUPER strong/weak, you'll heal a quarter of your life a hit.

Select the skill, then acquire it, then drag it to an empty box on the right. I believe the "Acquire" button is spacebar or E. Check the button prompt in the bottom-right corner.
You have to spend skill points on the skill (up to 5 each) before you can activate it on your skill menu.

Wow, thank you so much. I was trying to drop already selected skills or categories into the slot. As soon as I tried the greyed out one below (0/5) I see the Activation prompt.

whats with the lame armor... you start the game with the coolest looking armor then they dress u up like a damn clown or jester actually.

seems like there would be some badass armor in this game :(

Back