The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ann.

I sold the kayran trofeo for error.
How can I get it back? It was really useful for my energy bar...

What is this thing with the monk and gog version mentioned on their website ?

What is this thing with the monk and gog version mentioned on their website ?

It's pointless, it's just another character to play the retarded-up dice with in Flotsam, except you only win if you get a "lucky roll" - whatever that is - and it puts a link on your main menu to some page on GoG.com with some videos or some shit.

What Nvidia drivers are people using? I thought I read some people where having problems with the latest official drivers, yet others say they work fine.

It's pointless, it's just another character to play the retarded-up dice with in Flotsam, except you only win if you get a "lucky roll" - whatever that is - and it puts a link on your main menu to some page on GoG.com with some videos or some shit.

Actually it gives you a 15% discount on Atari titles.

Is there anyone else playing this that didn't like the first Witcher? I picked them both up on Steam, and after trying for several hours, I simply couldn't get into TW1. The combat was slow and annoying, I spent more time staring down my cursor than anything else... and I couldn't really get into the story.

I decided to just skip to TW2 yesterday, hoping to not let my purchase go to waste, and I probably played it for about 6 hours yesterday, loving every minute of it. The combat is so much better, which is what I think I needed to draw me in.

Yeah after loving TW2 I went back to play the first and uninstalled it after 10 min. Just didn't "get" the combat really.

It took me a while to get used to tw1; the opening scene grabbed me but after that it took me a few hours to get used to the control (most of chapter 1 i forced myself to play). After that it became very fun until late in the game when some of the quests became repetitive.
-
The second games is shorter and faster paced with much less repetition. Also the presentation is very good. The interface I have mixed feelings; at the start of the game it was less annoying than w1; but I found it more limited and didn't really grow to like it (it was definitely streamlined for console).
-
I also strongly disliked the last 20minutes of the game (basically the ending which sort of sez - wait for part 3 to see what happens). Over all I enjoyed 2 more than 1 but thought 1 was the better game (if that makes sense). For a non american game the engilsh voice acting is very very good.

The last two non american games I played had horrible english voice acting (drakensang and dragon knight saga).
-
Anyways I'll play #3 and continue to support the company because I think they are customer friendly (ea could learn something from them as well as ubi soft).
-
so to answer your question I found tw1 worth playing but it took a while for me to get into the game; was definitely a struggle to keep playing until late chapter 1 early chapter 2 where it picked up.

Yeah, I started the first Witcher last month and I *hated* the beginning of the game. They throw a bunch of odd mechanics at you...some of which you don't really have much use for, especially not at the time. Combat ended up being pretty simple. You pretty much stick to 2 weapons and just keep doing combos and switching between group/single as needed. The dodges are only used to get you out of a corner or escape a crowd. Once you get out of the first castle (and especially once you finally get to Vizima) the game gets much better.

With the Witcher 2, the game seems very combat heavy. I dodge a lot, and the combos are as simple as mashing them out. It's a little like Assassin's Creed this time around.
The graphics annoy me a bit, though. The bloom and light ray effects are WAY overdone, and if you turn them off, the game looks strange. The cutscenes look amazing, but there's a lot of pop-in (regardless of settings) in the ones that go back and forth. I don't really care for the inventory screen either. Still, it's a nice looking game and gameplay is definitely less repetitious.

Is there anyone else playing this that didn't like the first Witcher? I picked them both up on Steam, and after trying for several hours, I simply couldn't get into TW1. The combat was slow and annoying, I spent more time staring down my cursor than anything else... and I couldn't really get into the story.

I decided to just skip to TW2 yesterday, hoping to not let my purchase go to waste, and I probably played it for about 6 hours yesterday, loving every minute of it. The combat is so much better, which is what I think I needed to draw me in.

Well the combat is completely different in both games, so it isn't surprising you can hate how it works in one and like the other.

If you hated the lore/setting/characters/story telling of one though you probably will hate the other since that is similar.

...The graphics annoy me a bit, though. The bloom and light ray effects are WAY overdone, and if you turn them off, the game looks strange. The cutscenes look amazing, but there's a lot of pop-in (regardless of settings) in the ones that go back and forth.

I don't recall anything being "strange" about the visual with all the bloom and crap off. Could be a preference thing. I will tell you that I had to tweak the settings to get the pop-in reduced to something acceptable. I'm sure you can google it.

I'm still disappointed in the game though after it all. I had so much fun just running around Flotsam and checking stuff out. But the later areas were so boring and uninteresting.

Does anyone get this patchwork/spotted effect in game? It's the only game that does it for me.

2011-08-05_00007.jpg

2011-08-05_00001.jpg

Yeah, I get that too, with the 5850. Seems to happen after a while of playing sometimes, and usually after alt-tabbing. Doesn't always show up.

I hear that going into the config file and changing ubersampling to 1 (2 is what the launcher sets) fixes the patchwork effect.

One glitch I keep getting is the "stuck in dice mode" bug. With the 1.3 patch, if you're using a gamepad you'll randomly get stuck playing dice with no option to re-roll and no way out of the dice mini-game. You have to use the task manager to close the game.

That "patchwork" is just how the shadow system is in this game. (See GTA IV, its the same thing.) No way to change that, sorry. :(

I'll dig this thread up since I'm just now really starting to get into this game.
I have to say that I'm having a good time, but after playing through the first Witcher game (which was pretty easy), this game is MUCH harder. You definitely have to get used to blocking/dodging, and early in the game there are quite a few fights that can leave you dead in 1-2 hits.
I love the production values. The cinematics, cut scenes, mini-games, etc. are well presented and polished. Collision detention is a little off at times, but nothing too bad.
I do have to admit that I don't care for the inventory screens at all, though. The lack of sorting and the bizzare way that you toggle between left and right sides has caused more than one mistake from me. The potion/meditation system is also a bid odd.
Still, the game is a good one.

I'll dig this thread up since I'm just now really starting to get into this game.
I have to say that I'm having a good time, but after playing through the first Witcher game (which was pretty easy), this game is MUCH harder. You definitely have to get used to blocking/dodging, and early in the game there are quite a few fights that can leave you dead in 1-2 hits.
I love the production values. The cinematics, cut scenes, mini-games, etc. are well presented and polished. Collision detention is a little off at times, but nothing too bad.
I do have to admit that I don't care for the inventory screens at all, though. The lack of sorting and the bizzare way that you toggle between left and right sides has caused more than one mistake from me. The potion/meditation system is also a bid odd.
Still, the game is a good one.

There are a couple inventory mods that help. Check Witcher nexus

That patchwork shadowing is just how the game is. If you look at any (un-altered) screenshot anywhere on the internet it has that effect.

picked up over the weekend, 3d is looking good. looks like i missed out on the 3d woes. getting good frame rates with and without 3d. Have had a few instances were turning 3d off caused the game to lag insanely. Restarting the game removes the lag. I am also getting BSODs after 30-40 mins. CPU temps dont go past 64c. GPU is hitting about 80c. irql on ntoskrnl.exe is whats found in minidump.

I’m still cruising along. Seems like the first Witcher in that once you start making progress the difficulty lets up quite a bit. They have you fighting the same enemies that swarm and kill you at level 4 only they’re cannon fodder at level 20. I prefer that to the Oblivion-like level scaling, but I think it’s still a bit of a weakness.
I might be missing something, but Alchemy seems to have been nerfed quite a bit. Because you have to meditate to drink something, it seems like you have to be in a constant state of readiness and/or guessing when battles are going to happen to take advantage. The first game’s ability to drink things on the fly certainly seems much more potent in my eyes...as unrealistic as it might be.
I’ve found that boosting Quen as soon as possible might be the easiest path to doing well. Between the free hits and electricity stun, you can be quite the superhero with some gauge management. If it weakens late in the game, it's still served me well for the first 1/2.

It's being rumored that it is an Enhanced Edition style patch with more content and more changes based on community feedback. What that entails is anyone's guess right now.

Good to see integrity in the biz.

I hope they fix the issue with playing dice while using a gamepad. Right now (as of version 1.4, when the issue surfaced) the game will randomly leave you in a dice game with no options except to re-select your dice. You have to use the Task Manager to close the game and try it again.
It seems to affect me about 40% of the time without rhyme or reason.

I'm also still hoping for in-game graphics switching, too. It's kind of a pain to test out different settings when you have to close the game every time. I understand why they did it, but it's no less annoying.

Anyone know a good site that kinda maps what the different choices in the game do? I'm definitely going to play again, but...

I don't want to go with Iorveth again just to see what happens if I choose to allow them to kill the prince. He shows up at the very end (and is a dick!), so is the end sequence completely different?

I plan on going through again and trying to do things as differently as possible, but I don't want to put significant effort in just to redo some of the more smaller choices that I won't get through the second time through.

One of the most notable things about CDProjekt is the amount of polish that goes into the Witcher games. They do a good job of having cut scenes, load screens, and art blend right into the game. No random AVI files popping up in some low-resolution in-game player, no 4:3 items showing up stretched out (and vice versa), everything is seamless.
Often times PC developers half ass minor details like those…especially in-game movies. It’s one of those areas where CDProjekt “consolized” something, but they took the GOOD things from a console.

One of the most notable things about CDProjekt is the amount of polish that goes into the Witcher games. They do a good job of having cut scenes, load screens, and art blend right into the game. No random AVI files popping up in some low-resolution in-game player, no 4:3 items showing up stretched out (and vice versa), everything is seamless.
Often times PC developers half ass minor details like those…especially in-game movies. It’s one of those areas where CDProjekt “consolized” something, but they took the GOOD things from a console.

Yeah, in Darksiders the cutscenes were weird and really annoying. I was gaming at 1920x1080, but all the videos were prerecorded videos taken using in game graphics at 720p, so the videos looked similar but blurrier to the in game footage, wtf, why? If you're gonna use in game footage for your videos, why prerender them at lower quality than the game itself? :confused:

Yeah, in Darksiders the cutscenes were weird and really annoying. I was gaming at 1920x1080, but all the videos were prerecorded videos taken using in game graphics at 720p, so the videos looked similar but blurrier to the in game footage, wtf, why? If you're gonna use in game footage for your videos, why prerender them at lower quality than the game itself? :confused:

It's actually pretty common. A lot of games have the videos stored as low-res AVIs sitting in a folder and use a so-so movie player that randomly brings 'em up here and there. It's cheap looking and lame, but oh so common. Even Batman had that issue.
It's one of the few areas where consoles tend to do better, likely because everything is only running at 1 resolution. Seamless integration of games/movies/art/load screens is one of those things PC games have long had issues with. The Witcher games absolutely blow that away, though.

Back