The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ann.

1.3 is out, get it here: http://en.thewitcher.com/patch1-3/

In addition to the already reported fixes are some performance improvements with Ubersampling on (about 20% on my 6950), and some users are reporting increased performance in general as well.

PS: is there a reason why [H] never did an evaluation on this game considering it's so much better looking than most recent titles (especially DA2) and actually pushes systems?

Should the game launcher automatically detect and download the patch?

Thanks for the tips, finally beat that bastard Kayran after an additional 5 attempts (excluding the previous 15 attempts or so).

More importantly.....HOLY SHIT....a PC game that is actually challenging...in the first chapter?!? Have I time warped back to 1997!?!

Would hate to see how much more difficult this would be on a setting higher than normal.

Both times I have played through were on hard, it wasn't much of a challenge for me to be honest. I don't dare try hardcore, one slip up and it's over.

Should the game launcher automatically detect and download the patch?

I think they removed the auto update function in the launcher as it was causing too many problems, hence why they say if you're doing a fresh install it'll auto update but make no mention of it auto updating if you've already patched to 1.2.

Thanks for the tips, finally beat that bastard Kayran after an additional 5 attempts (excluding the previous 15 attempts or so).

More importantly.....HOLY SHIT....a PC game that is actually challenging...in the first chapter?!? Have I time warped back to 1997!?!

Would hate to see how much more difficult this would be on a setting higher than normal.

Yeah I must have died around ten times on that bit. Sometimes the outer left tentacle would glitch and just throw boulders constantly which made for a lot of rolling around and impossible to trap it.

Yeah Steam version is updated now, seems to be a 120mb patch instead of the whole 9GB chunk :)

Yeah Steam version is updated now, seems to be a 120mb patch instead of the whole 9GB chunk :)

I believe one of the latest steam updates made it so games that aren't using a self contained patch can download just the files that are to be replaced. I still don't understand why the steam version of some games don't use the regular patch that is released for retail and other DD versions though.

Having a wierd bug
I have Gigabyte 560 Ti SOC with 275.5 Beta Drivers

Sometimes when i enter Journal or Inventory my HUD completley disappears... as in Press ESC for game menu and nothing. Enter Inventory and get Black screen. Once ithappens its often the the saved game file :(

Driver or game bug ? How do i revert to previous drivers ? 275.3 work like shit for me, so im gonna use 270.xx or smthing

My game feels kind of choppy post 1.3 patch on the Steam version. I was locked @ 60fps buttery smooth on ultra, now it sits around 57-58fps (not even close to maxing out both gpus usage %), but doesn't feel as smooth as it was prior to the patch. Has anyone else noticed this with crossfire and the latest patch? Running 11.7

I played for a little yesterday and noticed some slow downs. I talked to the innkeeper in Vergen and the menu just lagged like crazy.

Looks like those weird columns of dots on my right-hand screen has been eliminated when running at 5670 x 1200.

I booted up TW2 today for the first time since the 1.3 patch and was greeted with this:

2011072300001.jpg

2011072300003.jpg

WTF?

Do you have any AA settings in CCC?

I still can't believe I bought this game though, it blatantly supports nvidia over amd. I can't even run the options menu in eyefinity mode.

Where are the save games loacted. I want to back it up and re-install the game. After the last update I can only run the game at 800X600 no matter what resolution I choose.

Yes...that was it, i had forced AA and AF on from when i was playing a different game the day before. Thanks!

Where are the save games loacted. I want to back it up and re-install the game. After the last update I can only run the game at 800X600 no matter what resolution I choose.

Saved games are in your User Documents folder in a folder named "Witcher 2". One of the great things about almost every game released within the past few years is that they all store their save games in your User Library, so when you back up your User Library for formatting or whatever, your saved games go with it....unless it is a Valve game.

Also, uninstalling the game does not remove the saved games from your User Library, as is the case with most games that store their saved games there.

I still can't believe I bought this game though, it blatantly supports nvidia over amd. I can't even run the options menu in eyefinity mode.

Yeah, I thought we left the days of GPU/Dev alliances behind back in the days of H-L2 and Doom 3.

Username>Documents>Witcher 2

Just finished upgrading to a i7 2600k, Asus P8Z68-V Pro, 8GB DDR3 1600, Agility III 120GB. But I've carried over my 1GB eVGA GTX 460. Figure I need some new game to put it through it's paces, Witcher 2 looks to be the good choice. Will the 460 let me down, running at 1680x1050? Not opposed to running with AA off if that's what it takes, but was hoping to give FXAA a shot.

Have you updated your game? The options menu has worked fine in eyefinity desktop resolutions since the very first patch.

Just finished upgrading to a i7 2600k, Asus P8Z68-V Pro, 8GB DDR3 1600, Agility III 120GB. But I've carried over my 1GB eVGA GTX 460. Figure I need some new game to put it through it's paces, Witcher 2 looks to be the good choice. Will the 460 let me down, running at 1680x1050? Not opposed to running with AA off if that's what it takes, but was hoping to give FXAA a shot.

Just don't turn on uber sampling...

Just don't turn on uber sampling...

Thanks, installing now.

Looking forward to some old-school RPG action.

Whats the preferred control mechanism? Was watching one of the preview videos and saw gamepad button notices. If my system will run at 1080p, might run off the TV.

Thanks, installing now.

Whats the preferred control mechanism? Was watching one of the preview videos and saw gamepad button notices. If my system will run at 1080p, might run off the TV.

I prefer a WASD setup for this game, but the controller will work fine.

Thanks, installing now.

I suggest x360 gamepad

I suggest x360 gamepad

Yeah, I've been using that. About time I found a use for the USB receiver I bought years ago.

5.5 hours on day one, haven't been this immersed in any game for a while other than the odd marathon Minecraft session.

Does anyone have sound problems? I get strong annoying echos indoors and weak echos outdoors. I've searched on the net and found that some people have the same problem as me, but I could find no fix. I would have thought that my speakers may be set up incorrectly, but I highly doubt this because I've played a lot of games with surround sound (mine is 5.1 surround) and they work perfectly.

Anyone know how to solve this? Or check if everything is configured correctly? Heck or disable the surround sound just for the game...

Thanks.

Anyway, I loved The Witcher 1, and I'm loving this game too. I have ubersampling on and I get 25-30 FPS (45+ FPS if I turn it off). It looks great, and it's good enough FPS for me.

I just started this and I hate that I can't change the system function keys (character/map/etc.) because I play with the arrow keys.
That said...gamepad support fixes all of that! I always thought the first game was made for a pad and this one definitely seems to be.
Performance isn't great, but I did auto-detect and turned the shadow detail down a hair to make it run a little better.
So far so good.

Does anyone have sound problems? I get strong annoying echos indoors and weak echos outdoors. I've searched on the net and found that some people have the same problem as me, but I could find no fix. I would have thought that my speakers may be set up incorrectly, but I highly doubt this because I've played a lot of games with surround sound (mine is 5.1 surround) and they work perfectly.

Anyone know how to solve this? Or check if everything is configured correctly? Heck or disable the surround sound just for the game...

Thanks.

When I last checked - month or so ago, there was no fix and it was the "intended" sound. I eventually just had to try and ignore it.

I just started this and I hate that I can't change the system function keys (character/map/etc.) because I play with the arrow keys.
That said...gamepad support fixes all of that! I always thought the first game was made for a pad and this one definitely seems to be.
Performance isn't great, but I did auto-detect and turned the shadow detail down a hair to make it run a little better.
So far so good.

You can change imput buttons at the launcher options before you get into game,

You can change imput buttons at the launcher options before you get into game,

You can, but not all of them. The action buttons can be changed, but a lot of the UI buttons are grey'd out and won't let me do anything with them. Kind of like how you couldn't remap the pause and UI cursor buttons in the first game. Pretty annoying...unless there's some way to tweak a config file manually.
I tend to stack all of that stuff to insert/delete/home/PgUp/CTRL/Keypad 0/etc. but the game seems to only allow in-game action commands to be re-mapped.

The gamepad UI is pretty great, though. I'm not so sure it's not the way to go even if you could re-map everything else.

You can, but not all of them. The action buttons can be changed, but a lot of the UI buttons are grey'd out and won't let me do anything with them. Kind of like how you couldn't remap the pause and UI cursor buttons in the first game. Pretty annoying...unless there's some way to tweak a config file manually.
I tend to stack all of that stuff to insert/delete/home/PgUp/CTRL/Keypad 0/etc. but the game seems to only allow in-game action commands to be re-mapped.

The gamepad UI is pretty great, though. I'm not so sure it's not the way to go even if you could re-map everything else.

I'll see if I can help you out later tonight. I actually had to manually force certain keys in order to use the ones I want. Really annoying when they don't let you map whatever.

Yup, I normally play with arrow keys, too. I actually switched to WASD before the game was patched and found it to work just fine for me. Ended up keeping that key config for my second playthrough also. Strangely, it is the only game besides Deadspace that I play WASD. :confused:

Played this a bit more last night. The graphics are pretty stunning, but like almost everything, the bloom and light ray effects are a bit overdone. I get much better performance (obviously) at 720p, but the text is blurry...so I tend to go with 1080p and turn the details down a bit. I'm a stickler for high frame rates.
So far things seem to be pretty combat intensive. I'm doing okay, but is there anything I should be aware of? Right now I find myself dodging a lot and using the quick attack followed by the strong one. Are the combos from the first game (where you hit the button when the arrow shows up) in there at all...or is there something similar? How does the counter work exactly? I just bought it, but haven't really figured it out.

Back