The Verge Ridiculed for "How We Built a $2000 Custom Gaming PC" Video

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Sep 15, 2018.

1. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

Someone should arrest this guy and the parent company sued for lying to the public.

2. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

they wont pull it lol.....cause they likely dont even understand any reason to pull it

3. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

You failed logic 101, right? Or you somehow believe fake it till you make it? Or you are invested in hardware companies and want idiots building them so more products will be sold to replace where they destroyed them? Please elaborate your logic for us, because I hate to break it to you, but knowledge is power, and you are saying just try with no knowledge. Do they let anyone who wants to "get out there" perform brain surgery? Rocket surgery? Please, do tell!

4. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

It's like other things in life, someone learns from someone that doesn't know what they are doing and then it goes to spider web from there. The worst is people that argue that they are right and there are four or five other clueless people to make you wrong even though you are right, because "majority wins."

chaos4u likes this.
  5. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

It's obvious but I'll say it anyway, that is a surefire way to destroy your RAM at least and probably the board too if you get too aggressive. The video that keeps on giving...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

It's like lots of things in life, such precision, you know exactly the torque required. Not a single question remains...

7. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

There's a lot of tolerance for thermal paste. I saw a video of someone that used none, too little, and way too much. Actually has suprisingly little impact.

I usually do a peasize in the middle, one solid seat and no gaps. Works for me, though I'm sure there's plenty ready to flame over my technique.

8. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

Use this knowledge in all aspects of your life, square peg, round hole, POUND 'ER IN.

c3k likes this.
  9. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

I used to use the peasize, until I removed some of the ones I did and saw where there was no paste. I now put a thin even coat with a credit card or such. Works well you might want to try it.

It can vary, depending on the hardware. For GPUs they seem to usually have a lot of paste on there. I have seen CPUs that had too much paste thermal throttle or even shutdown. With the newer CPUs it's not as much of an issue. I've seen debate on this for probably close to 20 years. One thing is true, if you put too much and it oozes on the board, pins, or components, it will cause problems.

Armenius, dvsman and N4CR like this.
  10. trparky

trparky Gawd

I did too.

Armenius likes this.
  11. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

It's like a lot of things in our information age, alway double and even triple check, and sometimes you will see something that is so wrong it's like a what NOT to do video. It's your job to check and make sure the "expurt" is actually correct.

12. bsoft

bsoft Limp Gawd

I spent most of the video wondering why they didn't tell us which CPU they used (other than "hex core" that "supports overclocking").

It turns out, you can actually see it in the video:

"Intel Confidential"

The S-Spec code corresponds to an 8700K, which would make sense, but for some reason they are using an engineering sample?

babochee, GoldenTiger and N4CR like this.
  13. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Bruh, you gotta realize that no consumer CPU can handle League of Legends. They had to use a special engineering sample from Intel Skunkworks to hit 120 FPS :eek:

Armenius, dvsman and GoldenTiger like this.
  14. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe he needs the headroom to stream instructional videos on LoL next. :eek:

Armenius and GoldenTiger like this.
  15. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Limp Gawd

He's definitely an Apple sheep.

16. opfreak

opfreak Gawd

That's why after I build my PC I vacuum seal it. Keeps the smoke in ;-)

Armenius, N4CR, triwolf and 2 others like this.
  17. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

18. dark_reign

dark_reign 2[H]4U

Aside from the numerous mistakes, he could of took the time to do some proper cable management. Anyone with $2000 to burn and sees this embarrassment of a build will quickly walk away.

19. DOhZ2

DOhZ2 n00b

There is simply no excuse for this video. Sad. Very sad.

mbelue, dvsman and triwolf like this.
  20. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

That makes sense, and not much in the video did, so essentially look at the video as what not to do. It's the anti-'how to build a PC particle' that destroys the 'how to build a PC particle.'

21. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

I would support a citizen's arrest. Or at the very least, someone take the thermal paste away from this guy. Who was it that told him to add more paste to an already pasted heatsink?

22. UrielDagda

UrielDagda 2[H]4U

AHHHHHHHHHHH!! That video hurts my brain.

23. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

I'm usually a person that can take somewhat annoying things, but listening to more than about 5 seconds of this guys voice it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. He's got some major league sibilance going with those s's. Sorry, have to put volume to lowest possible I can hear. The video is comedy gold otherwise.

24. dark_reign

dark_reign 2[H]4U

If you couldn't get enough of this cringeworthy build:

triwolf, dvsman and Ranulfo like this.
  25. staknhalo

staknhalo [H]ard|Gawd

How many jiggawats does it have?

26. nysmo

nysmo Gawd

stopped watching after he accused builder of improper ram installation. While *most* boards use an A/A B/B setup I've personally had a board or two that was A/B A/B. Also the fact that he's trying to nitpick on PCI lane bandwidth when he's installing a video card that will have no other options other than to use the highest bandwidth lane anyway due to form factor I'd say the real cringe is probably in all the responses calling the verge out.

N4CR likes this.
  27. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

Why? RTFM; ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming manual was shown in the video, that board states B2 A2 installation for dual channel operation when only 2 dimms used.

I built my mother-in-law a cleaner PC than this garbage. I'm tempted to post pics...

28. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Not "most" boards, damn near ALL OF THEM. I doubt there is any gaming-grade motherboard from the last decade that has a 1-2 or 3-4 dual-channel set up, especially from Intel. I can't even remember that last time I've seen a board that isn't 1-3 or 2-4. Hate to see what the dumbass in the video would have done if handed an enthusiast grade board.

29. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

Here is a tip I haven't seen anyone mention; Leave the plastic cover installed on the retention mechanism, DO NOT remove it by hand. Instead, lift the retention clip, install the CPU, then drop the retention clip (with the plastic still installed) on to the CPU, then clamp down and the plastic cover pops off. Once the plastic pops off, you can safely use your grubby mitts to grab it and put it away for safe keeping. I started doing this after one time my cocks for fingers removed the plastic cover then immediately dropped the cover on the socket pins and bent them, this was immediately after receiving the repaired motherboard after an earlier bending incident FML. I did it right in front of the technician who was showing it to me, fuck I felt like a dolt.

Armenius likes this.
  30. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah guys, the verge did a fantastic job, there is nothing to see here, move along...
    /s
    This is supposed to be an educational video, so the advice uttered is not meant for this exact set of components only. So saying it doesn't matter which slot is a mistake. I wish that was the biggest mistake in the video.

I've never seen such a board in my entire life. The only boards that are 1-2 are the ones with only two dimms.

So basically what you're saying: Don't do it properly let the cpu pop it out, because you're clumsy?

31. motomonkey

motomonkey [H]ard|Gawd

Definition of journalist
    1 a : a person engaged in journalism; especially : a writer or editor for a news medium
    b : a writer who aims at a mass audience
    2 : a person who keeps a journal

Per Merriam- Webster.

So, yes, anyone who fits "1.B" above is a Journalist.

So by That definition the guy on You tube who eats ghost peppers and chases it with Fireball is a Journalist. He’s documenting the effects of Long term Alcoholism, I suppose.

If that doesn't fit in with some people's notion that you have to have a degree and be employed at a brick and mortar media establishment, well to bad. I guarantee some of those Youtubers make more money than this idiot spreading peanut butter on a CPU.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  32. naib

naib [H]ard|Gawd

Exactly "tie wraps, wtf are they... must be a spelling mistake, I mean these are geeks that wrote this. Must mean Tweeters"

Everything about this was scripted and executed by someone with no idea except finding the right face for their video. It couldn't have been vetted by anyone who really knows
    I would question this.... the statement about no TIM ... The point of the TIM is to fill in the voids between the two mating surfaces

thermal-interface.jpg

Will it work? sure but the thermal resistance will be higher... Now maybe the surface of those instances were "smooth" enough.

This is why I either put a pea blob in the middle and slowly tighten up going around each corner in turn to allow the paste to be squeeze out OR I take a razor and spread it thinly.

Saying that though I am tempted to go for graphite sheet for the next time I change my CPU as this stuff has ridiculously low thermal resistance and is easy to handle PLUS will maximise the heatsink usage due to the x-y characteristics

33. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

I should be clear: Use. Thermal. Paste. No way am I advocating not using it in a generally accepted application method / quantity.

Maybe I don't recall the video correctly - I tried to find it again but can't seem to. Perhaps it was only too little, too much, Goldilocks.

That said, I am of the opinion that the best thermal transfer would be achieved with perfectly machined mating services.

Armenius likes this.
  34. naib

naib [H]ard|Gawd

And that is correct. If there was a convenient way to cold weld then you would get an almost ideal interface

Armenius likes this.
  35. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

Ok I watched the video... I'm 90% certain it's just troll bait - There was editing done, and even someone who knows nothing about building a PC would have caught the whole "tweezers" bit. Same goes for the swiss army knife instead of a screwdriver - there's no reason for that UNLESS they're just trolling people.

36. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

Ha this is brilliant. Has to be a troll video. There is SOOOO much wrong with this, it just has to be there to draw viewers to boost rating
    Fuck...we are all contributing to it by just watching the shit

37. Nightfire

Nightfire [H]ard|Gawd

Idea for a comparison:

Build one system identical to this, missing screw, single channel memory and all, then compare to a properly built system with the cheapest 2133 mhz in dual channel and a properly cooled i7 8700 (non-k). I bet the 2nd system does better while saving over $100.

Armenius and triwolf like this.
  38. Dullard

Dullard 2[H]4U

In its defense, The Verge has only recently lost its technology editor.

39. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

I just saw yesterday browsing youtube and watched a bunch of tech tubers analyzing the verge video. What is a Verge, never even heard of them. They sound like a bunch of tards, either that or as some of you said they are trolling for traffic. If they are trolling for traffic, wow even worse.

If its a troll video, then Linus Tech Tips got rick rolled?

Either way, we should all notify Capital One basically wasted the money on this crap. Nobody do business with the Verge, and nobody watch their channel. How in the fuck did they get 2.1 Million subscribers. Thats a lot of 12 yr olds.

Armenius likes this.
  40. evt

evt Limp Gawd

The video is now gone!