The Verge Ridiculed for "How We Built a $2000 Custom Gaming PC" Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
tim pool talks aboot them and mentions [H] as the source of calling them out in his newest vid about fake news. cant post here ill post in in soapbox political youtubers.
edit in the fake new thread.

yup ran into it myself when he was sub 20k. very condescending and thinks he knows everything.

You mean just like Jayz2cents, I believe Kyle knows him? Hey did you shoot that guy yet or what? Use a shotgun next time and you can't miss!

So indeed it was not a troll video? They actually believe their content was good, and that the entire PC Hardware community bashing them were wrong? WTF?

WTF is a toxic gaming communities? Is he talking about non-gay employed white men...Not that i care what the jackass thinks

I'll say this: ask a woman that plays a competitive game. I've seen many that just don't use mics because they'd prefer not to engage random asshats.

That more or less seems to be what he was like in the video, though I don't catch much of it because I'm WTFing right along with him.

Perhaps his reaction video could use a little more constructive advice along with quick explanations rather than just 'this is all wrong'.

He did explain exactly why they were wrong, at least in all the cases I remember... And though I've only seen a few of his videos, he's been decidedly fair and particularly NOT dickish (especially here in this case), especially compared to the rest of the YouTube, or tech review, field...

What was he a dick about? I can't even imagine where, unless disagreement at all is being a dick (which is the mindset of a frighteningly large group of young people now that are recently out of school)

I'll say this: ask a woman that plays a competitive game. I've seen many that just don't use mics because they'd prefer not to engage random asshats.

That's true for literally ALL OF THE INTERNET! I don't mean to pick on you, but it sure seems like the Verge is kinda right up your alley with all your """forward thinking""" viewpoints, like that there are a significant portion of female streamers who can't handle the general, always there Internet trolling and douchebaggery. The men deal with it too. Sometimes less of it, sometimes a lot more of it. Most women do not need to hide from their own fans - and doing so is a sign of deep insecurity on their end, or anyone's end who does the same. Going to an Internet comment section and expecting it to NOT be toxic is like going to North Korea and expecting it to be progressive.

What was he a dick about? I can't even imagine where, unless disagreement at all is being a dick (which is the mindset of a frighteningly large group of young people now that are recently out of school)

To the extent that Youtubers are shock jocks, I understand what he did- but at the same time, showing his continual exasperation without showing hard counter-examples- i.e., showing how paste should be applied, how cable routing should be done, etc., whether in the video or linking to others, devalues his response.

I wonder where the over application of thermal paste technique is coming from.

i have talked to 2 people in the last year one resulted in a service call, in regards to thermal paste.

[...]

so somewhere out there in the vast wasteland of bad info, incorrect application of thermal paste is being spread. even in the light of an article from several years ago that tested the various methods. and in recent time a video that also tested the methods.

whats even more sad is that the guy in this video was given a thermal paste applicator and he didnt even use it !! oh wait he did he used it to tap the cpu in place into the cpu installer doohickey...

Easy answer. It's logical to most that applying more is better, especially given how much comes in a tube. How could more conductive paste hurt, whereas a rice sized amount doesn't seem like it would cover the whole proc surface - to a layman? It's always been a misconception. It's always the first instinct for the people I've helped with their builds, and was my first inclination for my own first build at age 15 - luckily I actually read up on the build and read the instructions!

um. if your computer ticks after you are done- you're doin it wrong.

It's a clock.

Um... no, no you're not supposed to eat them all at once.

Don't tell me how to live my life!

The Verge is really hit or miss. More miss, really. They've been kind of a joke for a while. Regurgitated crap or just not knowing what they are talking about and just trying to pass shit off as "journalism". Fuck em.

I would have left the comments open. Let people have their fun. Make a second video doing better using those suggestions and calling people out that weren't dicks and actually trying to help.

... a woman that plays a competitive game. I've seen many...

Are they...next to the unicorns and leprechauns?

I kid. But seriously- I didn't understand how bad shit talking had gotten until I was on a public channel in...some fps or another. I get breaking balls, being crass...but these guys were really hateful and nasty. It was pretty sickening.

WTF is a toxic gaming communities? Is he talking about non-gay employed white men...Not that i care what the jackass thinks

Basically it's deflection. Like it was with Gamergate.
Unlike Gamergate, where the objective wrong is something intangible (Journalistic Integrity), this was something VERY tangible.
People could SEE them Doing It Wrong.
As such, blaming "toxic gaming communities" merely highlights how out of touch this dipshit is.

I usually do the RAM after the cooling system is installed. Its easier in my experience.

Yeah. I try to get the motherboard prep as complete as I can (kinda HAVE to with CPU coolers with baseplates).

I usually do the RAM after the cooling system is installed. Its easier in my experience.
That varies, some air coolers need to have the ram installed first since the cooler over hangs the slots closest to the socket.

On the build I posted, I used my 4790k cooler on it but had to swap to something a bit better since the 7700k was running way too hot.
Went with a Cryorig C7 I believe. Still ran warm under prime95 but much cooler than the 4790k cooler.
Had to use a small cooler since I put the system in this small case,
IMG_1478.JPG

That varies, some air coolers need to have the ram installed first since the cooler over hangs the slots closest to the socket.

On the build I posted, I used my 4790k cooler on it but had to swap to something a bit better since the 7700k was running way too hot.
Went with a Cryorig C7 I believe. Still ran warm under prime95 but much cooler than the 4790k cooler.
Had to use a small cooler since I put the system in this small case,
View attachment 104626

I never use air coolers. I either use AIO's or water blocks.

Oh man, they removed it. Yeah, they only removed it after being completely humiliated for it. They couldn't take the heat anymore.

Oh well, for those that still want to laugh and cringe... I still have the video. Message me if you want it.

And of course Stefan there at the Verge blames "toxic gaming communities". Kudos to those who called it this weekend. Noob builder and "journalist" can't take some heat for lazy work.

They actually didn't have enough thermal paste. Watch any Louis Rossmann video on applying "a tiny bit" of flux.

They actually didn't have enough thermal paste. Watch any Louis Rossmann video on applying "a tiny bit" of flux.

There's a BIG difference between excessive thermal paste and using a "Milli-Paul" of flux.

What I'm saying is, read the fucking manual, this is the correct way to install it.
I've never seen an ASUS 1151 motherboard, you're right it even comes with something called CPU installation tool, to help the fools line up the cpu with the socket. And it is really designed to work that way.

Can't say I'd be comfortable with installing the cpu blind. But if it works it works. I'd still remove the cap to double check the placement before closing the bracket.

Basically it's deflection. Like it was with Gamergate.
Unlike Gamergate, where the objective wrong is something intangible (Journalistic Integrity), this was something VERY tangible.
People could SEE them Doing It Wrong.
As such, blaming "toxic gaming communities" merely highlights how out of touch this dipshit is.
Also, there are lots of people that mess up in this world and try to cover it with another lie. Ultimately, if you mess up, it's always best to admit it and move on. Do they not teach this in families and schools anymore? It is good at least the Verge did admit it, but the guy in the video whose name should go on everyone's list as a complete faker and general fool, doesn't seem to have owned up to his mess yet, if ever.

Also, there are lots of people that mess up in this world and try to cover it with another lie. Ultimately, if you mess up, it's always best to admit it and move on. Do they not teach this in families and schools anymore? It is good at least the Verge did admit it, but the guy in the video whose name should go on everyone's list as a complete faker and general fool, doesn't seem to have owned up to his mess yet, if ever.

Been working with computers longer than many of the people on this forum have been alive...GET OFF MY LAWN!
And "I don't know", or "I goofed that up." has ALWAYS been a legit answer/admission.

I mean, I GET the whole ego thing of infallibility and all. But it's bullshit. Nobody EVER gets it "right" 100% of the time. And anyone who says they do is a fucking liar whose pants should have gone Hiroshima on them...

Been working with computers longer than many of the people on this forum have been alive...GET OFF MY LAWN!
And "I don't know", or "I goofed that up." has ALWAYS been a legit answer/admission.

I mean, I GET the whole ego thing of infallibility and all. But it's bullshit. Nobody EVER gets it "right" 100% of the time. And anyone who says they do is a fucking liar whose pants should have gone Hiroshima on them...

so much toxic masculinity in your post. you should really check your privilege and get woked. your probably a racist too.

/s

I haven't built a new rig in a couple years. But I remember my biggest issue was remembering to replug in the 4/8 pin by the cpu lol beep!

There's a difference between getting it wrong in your own PC and getting it so very, VERY wrong in a video for all the world to see. If you're going to making a technical video you better God damn well make sure you get everything you do 100% correct!!! And if you do happen to make some mistake, you better own up to it and not pull the fucking race card like this fucking jackass did.

No, we're not calling you out because we're being racists... we're calling you out because you're a God damned moron!!!

And by "you" I mean this Stefan guy.

At first, I only watched parts of this (about CPU TIM and snapping in memory). Going back through the whole thing, yeah, WOW this video is bad.

I would expect this video from someone who is just starting and really doesn't know a lot, but definitely not from a popular website that is supposed to have real editors and people running it that (supposedly) know what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back