The Verge Ridiculed for "How We Built a $2000 Custom Gaming PC" Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
so much toxic masculinity in your post. you should really check your privilege and get woked. your probably a racist too.

/s

*Grabs hold of manhood...has to use both hands...contemplates getting female asisstance for an extra hand or three...*

Privilege checked.

And I like my money where it is. Get woke, go broke.

And you're damn right I'm racist! Those fucking HUMANS! Junking up the universe! Kill 'em all!

I haven't built a new rig in a couple years. But I remember my biggest issue was remembering to replug in the 4/8 pin by the cpu lol beep!

My biggest problem was always floppy drives.
I'd always seem to get an unkeyed floppy cable, so it was a pain in the ass to figure out which way was the right way to connect.

There's a difference between getting it wrong in your own PC and getting it so very, VERY wrong in a video for all the world to see. If you're going to making a technical video you better God damn well make sure you get everything you do 100% correct!!! And if you do happen to make some mistake, you better own up to it and not pull the fucking race card like this fucking jackass did.

No, we're not calling you out because we're being racists... we're calling you out because you're a God damned moron!!!

And by "you" I mean this Stefan guy.

As I say "The didactic "you" or the exemplary "you"".

The sad thing about this is that it went through multiple people before being uploaded, and not one of those people stopped to question how bad it is.

You are placing way too much faith in the collaborative Edit Review process. I've had video projects go into DVD replication before the clients noticed something was off, wrong or missing.

This guy simply doesn't know how to build a PC. The Swiss Army knife (LOL), Allen wrench (why?) and fake anti-static wrist band was enough to call this entire $2000 disaster a joke--not to mention very misleading info from the start.

Update: they edited the post on their website and it still includes a lot of the errors like adding more thermal paste to the CPU, running the memory in single channel mode, and laughable cable management. So hardly much has changed.

This guy simply doesn't know how to build a PC. The Swiss Army knife (LOL), Allen wrench (why?) and fake anti-static wrist band was enough to call this entire $2000 disaster a joke--not to mention very misleading info from the start.

Update: they edited the post on their website and it still includes a lot of the errors like adding more thermal paste to the CPU, running the memory in single channel mode, and laughable cable management. So hardly much has changed.
I guess they want to maintain the ruined credibility? This is really unbelievable at this point, we have reached ludicrous speed.

That contract with Capital One. Oh boy. Sounds like a pickle.

Whatever.

Probably time to just shut down the thread. It's done.

The problem with this whole situation now is that people are still ripping the kid over unrelated stuff. It's uncalled for. Yeah, he made a crappy video. It was pointed out and removed. The continue harassment of other things is pathetic.

This kind of shit is just going to scare people away from producing tech content.

The problem with this whole situation is that people are still ripping the kid. it's uncalled for. Yeah, he made a crappy video. It was pointed out and removed. The continue harassment moving forward is pathetic.
welcome to the internet? somebody should have checked that before hitting upload. fuck, even hire someone to do it as other yt'ers suggests. the continued harassment is prob due to the way they have handled the situation and then broke out the racism card when all else failed.
seems to be a common tactic. "blah blah blah bs bs bs" "hey I dont agree" "bigot!!" or "blah blah blah bs bs bs" "hey you got that wrong, heres the facts" "racist!!!" people are sick of it.

welcome to the internet? somebody should have checked that before hitting upload. fuck, even hire someone to do it as other yt'ers suggests. the continued harassment is prob due to the way they have handled the situation and then broke out the racism card when all else failed.
seems to be a common tactic. "blah blah blah bs bs bs" "hey I dont agree" "bigot!!" or "blah blah blah bs bs bs" "hey you got that wrong, heres the facts" "racist!!!" people are sick of it.

He did get a lot of very blatantly racist comments apparently. Verge trying to hide behind those shit-people and paint everyone as racist or toxic is dumb, but the level of pure vitriol over a fucking computer build was ridiculous.

Did the original video actually show that build posting? All I saw at the end is the lit up box sitting behind him with a keyboard, display, and corded mouse in front of him. Any bets that there's a Walmart special sitting under the table because his build's CPU kept throttling or its PSU kept thermal tripping?

I've been building PC's since around 92'ish.

Watched the video .... honestly, there are a lot of guys that would have said some of the same shit he did. I've seen it over and over again. I still have friends that do not know what an I/O plate / shield is that can still pretty much build a PC.

Remember, lot of you guys are looking at this video from the peak of a mountain of personal experience in building a PC. So anything less will def be sketch to you and or funny.

It's disappointing he didn't have anyone around him to give him pointers or mentor him.

You know, honestly ... what I see is a guy that jumped in and did the best he could. Very much a novice that probably shouldn't have been allowed to take on the build himself but then again, I'm guessing not many people at The Verge know any better.

If you think the PC community is cringing globally, just think of Asus and MSI and Gigabyte and all the others that have these types of rookie builders destroying their shit and RMAing it back to them. Haha

Last edited:
I've been building PC's since around 92'ish.

Watched the video .... honestly, there are a lot of guys that would have said some of the same shit he did. I've seen it over and over again. I still have friends that do not know what an I/O plate is that can pretty much build a PC.

Remember, lot of you guys are looking at this video from the peak of a mountain of personal experience in build PC. So anything less will be sketch to you.

It's disappointing he didn't have anyone around him to give him pointers or mentor him.

You know, honestly ... what I see is a guy that jumped in and did the best he could. Very much a novice that probably shouldn't have taken on that build by himself.

If you guys are cringing, just think of Asus and MSI and Gigabyte and others that have these types of builds destroy their shit and RMAing it. Haha

There's an enormous difference between some dude trying to tough it through his first PC build (even if he posted it on Youtube) and a a group like the Verge publishing a piece that has supposedly gone through a professional publication process (you know something that would have simple steps like editing out mistakes, checking your facts, bringing in experts, etc) that claims to be showing those newbies how to build a PC. Then when it's pointed out how many MAJOR and potentially DANGEROUS mistakes were made, they block further comments, ignore everyone's feedback, and deflect. To top it off, several days later they turn around and give a non-apology with a even more deflection.

So, at least for me, it's not even about the guy not knowing what he's doing. It's about how in the hell does something like this even make it out to be subjected to criticism in the first place, and why didn't they respond appropriately when people starting going "WTF?"

There's an enormous difference between some dude trying to tough it through his first PC build (even if he posted it on Youtube) and a a group like the Verge publishing a piece that has supposedly gone through a professional publication process (you know something that would have simple steps like editing out mistakes, checking your facts, bringing in experts, etc) that claims to be showing those newbies how to build a PC. Then when it's pointed out how many MAJOR and potentially DANGEROUS mistakes were made, they block further comments, ignore everyone's feedback, and deflect. To top it off, several days later they turn around and give a non-apology with a even more deflection.

So, at least for me, it's not even about the guy not knowing what he's doing. It's about how in the hell does something like this even make it out to be subjected to criticism in the first place, and why didn't they respond appropriately when people starting going "WTF?"

None of them knew any better is probably what happened.

Not a valid excuse. There is absolutely no excuse for the video coming out like it did. If they didn't know any better they shouldn't have made the damn video in the first place. There are thousands, tens of thousands, of tutorials out there and people they could have turned to in order to fact check and make sure its good. This isn't Bob in his garage posting a video, its a, supposedly, professional tech website with massive resources. Any excuse you try to give for it rings hollow because there is zero defense for the video being so dangerously wrong.

Again, that's where the fact-checking, editing, and experts should have come in. If a group with as large an audience as the Verge has who makes their living on content served to that audience is going to make a How-to Guide, you would hope they'd put some effort into making damned sure they got it right.

"does anyone here actually know how to do this? no! ok lets get someone that does" that's how the project should have started...

He did get a lot of very blatantly racist comments apparently
apparently being the key word. I didn't see any before the comments got closed but I also didn't go anywhere else but here to look.

Not a valid excuse. There is absolutely no excuse for the video coming out like it did. If they didn't know any better they shouldn't have made the damn video in the first place. There are thousands, tens of thousands, of tutorials out there and people they could have turned to in order to fact check and make sure its good. This isn't Bob in his garage posting a video, its a, supposedly, professional tech website with massive resources. Any excuse you try to give for it rings hollow because there is zero defense for the video being so dangerously wrong.

Sure it is, you and many others are making the assumption that these people should have known what to do and how to do it. I'm telling you, having built PC's going on 27 years. You would be shocked at all of the people I thought knew better in one way or another.

The truth is, none of the people at The Verge knew any better. Clearly. Thus, the video was released and the community promptly corrected them. There isn't some grand elaborate explanation needed on this video. It's open and shut.

Also, I think the video will have a lot of positive effects. It's going to draw a lot of first timers in which is good for all of us. And we don't have to worry about them not getting the right kind of help. I've literally seen a shit ton of reaction videos to the video in question and there is enough new information floating around now that any new people coming into the PC scene will get great help as first time builders.

Sure it is, you and many others are making the assumption that these people should have known what to do and how to do it. I'm telling you, having built PC's going on 27 years. You would be shocked at all of the people I thought knew better in one way or another.

The truth is, none of the people at The Verge knew any better. Clearly. Thus, the video was released and the community promptly corrected them. There isn't some grand elaborate explanation needed on this video. It's open and shut.

If they didn't know they never should have released it in the first place. The written article, with many of the same dangerous errors, remains up and unchanged. They only took the video down, but corrected nothing.

You know, honestly ... what I see is a guy that jumped in and did the best he could. Very much a novice that probably shouldn't have been allowed to take on the build himself but then again, I'm guessing not many people at The Verge know any better.

It'd be totally fine if the video was made into a vlog like thing just sharing his build process.
But you see it was a tutorial. There's responsibility involved in teaching.
Teaching someone things you don't actually know, I call it a scam.

To be honest I still can't believe it was not a troll video.
All the wrong practices and misinformation! Assume they were all genuine mistakes, how stupid and uninformed he had to be?
Look at his smug face (imo) putting on the wireless anti static strap and throwing away the socket cover, like he knows everything lol.
I completely understand why people hate him.

The problem with this whole situation now is that people are still ripping the kid over unrelated stuff. It's uncalled for. Yeah, he made a crappy video. It was pointed out and removed. The continue harassment of other things is pathetic.

This kind of shit is just going to scare people away from producing tech content.

Those are just distractions now. If it was just a crappy video, people would have gotten their jabs in and it would have been done.

But as Tim Pool points out, the issue was with the fake news in the aftermath.

1.) They removed comments and likes/dislikes
2.) They refuse to admit initial fault, keep the video uploaded for days with no changes
3) They attack other journalist and distract with "toxic gaming enviroments should be our focus"

The last one is akin to someone uploading a vehicle repair video that may cause thr vehicle to run poorly and having them respond with "well the focus should be on drunk drivers as this is minor in comparison". It is utter nonsense.

They still have this photo up with the HS missing a screw in their article. Lol

17790B25-1AC8-44CD-833A-C6DD05B4AC0B.jpeg

And they say 4K gaming isn’t possible with the current nvidia cards. That’s hogwash.

I can run games just fine at 4K with a 1070 Ti.

So in summary...
The verge shitposts on youtubers
The verge release a builders video
The video is bad
The verge get's shitposted back
Some shit posters crossed the line
The verge act based upon the ones that cross the line and never acknowlege what they put out was shit nor retract their shitposting

got it... they assume the moral highground

Verge > /dev/null

Huh? I don't think a novice kid uploading a bad build video deserves weeks of followup harassment.

Those are just distractions now. If it was just a crappy video, people would have gotten their jabs in and it would have been done.

But as Tim Pool points out, the issue was with the fake news in the aftermath.

1.) They removed comments and likes/dislikes
2.) They refuse to admit initial fault, keep the video uploaded for days with no changes
3) They attack other journalist and distract with "toxic gaming enviroments should be our focus"

The last one is akin to someone uploading a vehicle repair video that may cause thr vehicle to run poorly and having them respond with "well the focus should be on drunk drivers as this is minor in comparison". It is utter nonsense.
His company screwed up by allowing it to go up and how they handled the followup. If people want to fight the companies bad policies, that's fine. But that doesn't explain the continued harassment of the kid in the video.

Next CPU install I do...I’ll use two tubes of AS5. Because you can’t use too much!

I recommend that you also dot the corners of the CPU with epoxy so that we’re sure the HSF is securely attached. You should also apply epoxy to the bottom of the CPU to “hold it in.” Make sure your two tubes of AS5 are in the MIDDLE of the CPU.

View attachment 104169

A fucking masterpiece....if you happen to be Stevie Wonder. How did he manage to lose one of the screws for the bottom left portion of the corsair cooler?

It amazed me with the amount of Thermal Paste he used, then this wiring just.... wow. Then, I noticed they had like 2.1 million subscribers? I am not interested at all in watching their videos, but how did they amass that number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back