The race to 4 billion

Presuming the UPS's at work has enough watts left in them I will fire up the last machine I have available. I finally got the DL580 G5 back from testing today and got it folding again!!

Come on we can do it! Beat EVGA to 4 Bil!

Managed to put together and get running another i7-860 @stock with 3xGTX460 before I left the office today. Lets just hope the aging PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w can handle the power load of all three cards crunching plus an smp client. I'm wondering if I should have waited till the morning so that I could monitor it. Oh well, If I get in tomorrow and find that it has been reduced to a smoldering pile of ashes then I'll know it couldn't handle it. Hoping for the best. Top 20 here i come, looking hard at the top 10 again.

Managed to put together and get running another i7-860 @stock with 3xGTX460 before I left the office today. Lets just hope the aging PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w can handle the power load of all three cards crunching plus an smp client. I'm wondering if I should have waited till the morning so that I could monitor it. Oh well, If I get in tomorrow and find that it has been reduced to a smoldering pile of ashes then I'll know it couldn't handle it. Hoping for the best. Top 20 here i come, looking hard at the top 10 again.

Hahaha!

I laugh because it is funny, and I've done similar things :p

It should do fine.

My silencer ran 3 GX2's fir a while once, you should be fine
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

SR-2 should be here today so hopefully I can get a good OC quickly and start pumping more points.

I'm gonna run it naked until I get a CM ATCS 840 for my Magny-Cours rig.

Together they should be able to get anywhere from 100 to 160K PPD based on types of units. Too bad it seems BigAdvs are not as readily available lately.

EDIT: SR-2 is here. This thing is MASSIVE. Love it.

Last edited:
Ive got a new 6 core AMD coming (1090T) and 2x 460's en route, so I should start pulling some major #'s at home soon....

Plus I found out what was causing my not being able to upload WU's (comcast finally admitted there was a problem in the headend, they have to order a new peice of hardware for flow control on the upload limits which was causing them to bottleneck on the output which killed my uploads to the server, who knew!)

What CPU's are you running on that new SR 10e? For reference, I'm at 3.9 Ghz on 5530's (quads) and I'm getting 75k, the special hex running around here gets around 100-115k on a good OC when in a pair, higher for 5650's and above obviously. On normal A3's I can get between 35k on the slow ones and 50k on the rest. Just for a frame of reference. I think the dual special hex's get like 70-75k on good normal SMP units

Ive got a new 6 core AMD coming (1090T) and 2x 460's en route, so I should start pulling some major #'s at home soon....

Plus I found out what was causing my not being able to upload WU's (comcast finally admitted there was a problem in the headend, they have to order a new peice of hardware for flow control on the upload limits which was causing them to bottleneck on the output which killed my uploads to the server, who knew!)

From what i'm hearing, Comcast is a real piece of work as i'm glad that Time Warner gets to screw me over in my area. At least your upload problems should be resolved soon!

Congrats on your Thuban. Only if Stanford would allow you guys to do bigadv's natively in Windows without going through that hassle of running Wine within Linux within a VM on Windows.

I still have to build my other i7 system, I am short as OS, PSU, and card.

I have been running 2 X GTX260s, 2 X GTX480s, 1 8800GTX, will have a GTS250 back up tonight.

I have one i7 that I run advmethods on while folding on the GTX480's, should I run both advmethods and the 480's at the same time? Usually I have been putting the -oneunit tag on the i7 and only fold 1 a day on that and let the cards go wild.

waiting on a s775 mobo to get here to add a Core2 and 8800GTX to the race .. :p

Should be there soon!

this weekend a C2Q Q9450 will be brought online for the [H]orde, plus more OC power on it and my 1090T

I'll get my i7 back up and running bigadv as soon as I can round up some ram. What would you guys say is a minimum PSU that I should run on a SMP only box? I have an antec neo 500w but I dont know if that will handle the load.

if its just a i7 folding, you should be fine with only 500w neo

My dedicated bigadv box pulls 300w at load. I've found 430w to be the perfect size. 500w is fine.

Intel Xeon x5650s.

They retail around $1050.00 up here in Canada, but I luckily got one from my distributor at $250.00 off on an open/damaged box special, and another LNIB from a fellow Canuck for about $200.00 off.

The other good, cheap option would have been L5640s from Ebay, but I decided on the x5650s due to the higher multiplier. I plan to get them at 3.8 - 4.0ghz with the RAM around 1600mhz 8-8-8-24-2T. I'm finding BigAdv, especially P2684s to be most sensitive to RAM bandwidth.

I'm hoping this will be good for 75 - 120K with P2685/2686/2692 on BigAdv. That, added on to the 40 - 60K PPD from the Magny Cours box, should get me close to 200K PPD.

Tonight I'm going to lay out the SR-2 and test every single DIMM slot to ensure that it's a good board, and then register it with EVGA before I embark on what should be fairly easy OC to the above speed.

Obviously as soon as I get it up to speed my PPD and watts will be forthcoming. I plan to see what differences in terms of PP/W and PPD I get between let's say 3.7 and 4.0 Ghz.

What CPU's are you running on that new SR 10e? For reference, I'm at 3.9 Ghz on 5530's (quads) and I'm getting 75k, the special hex running around here gets around 100-115k on a good OC when in a pair, higher for 5650's and above obviously. On normal A3's I can get between 35k on the slow ones and 50k on the rest. Just for a frame of reference. I think the dual special hex's get like 70-75k on good normal SMP units

My "Extra Special" l5640 arrived today, loading Win7 now, then on to the OCing. I'll be happy as long as I can get atleast 3.6 with a 200 bclk. The downside is now I have an I7-930 laying around with no home.

My "Extra Special" l5640 arrived today, loading Win7 now, then on to the OCing. I'll be happy as long as I can get atleast 3.6 with a 200 bclk. The downside is now I have an I7-930 laying around with no home.

I'm sure it won't be laying for long. :D:D

Managed to get ost of my rig back online today - up from 18k to 36k PPD need to fit the 250 tomorrow for another 6K

SR-2 #2 is here...switching stuff around now (why didn't I do this earlier in the week???) I should have it up and running later this evening.

Nice man. I'm still having to wait till next spring for my SR-2. I'll just have to live with my two hex cores running on their own boards.

Fold On!

I just did some really really quick #'s and it looks like it is going to be really tight to beat EVGA to 4bill, it looks like they might overtake us and then hit 4bill a day later?

I'm getting my ass in gear to get an extra gts250 up tonight. Still waiting on a PSU to be delivered to get another i7 up.

hmmm, what if it gets so close as to happen within the same update - how fine grained are the stats? Do we need forensic accounting, or guiness book of records observers standing by? :confused:

Beating EVGA to 4 billion seems like a worthy goal to me. Hopefully come this weekend I'll have a 1055t to contribute to the battle.

Hey, If we don't beat them to 4 billion (totally arbitrary number) we can mount a comback and beat them to the 5 billion mark and the 1 trillion mark! :D

Even if they beat us to 4bil... we'll still be behind them with our brights on. :D

offroad2.jpg

I should take a picture of my trucks lights. Much brighter!!!

offroad2.jpg

I should take a picture of my trucks lights. Much brighter!!!

At first glance, that picture made me go WTH thinking that you were some redneck bumpkin. Then I realized that you live in Alaska and have to contend with 8 ft tall 1000+ pound Meese at night.

Moose up here are very large! I hit my first one ever a couple months ago
Luckily it was a smaller one. I replaced my windshield and was back on the road the next day.
And gave the car a bath!

Moose.jpg

Last edited:
I am currently making it my goal to move to Alaska(likely Anchorage) within 5 years, and that is the only thing making me think as those Meese are dangerous. I suppose it is the price you have to pay for being able to live in the lask American frontier, but damn those things are dumb, big, and dumber.

If I'm not mistaken that's a hummer, not a redneck vehicle lol

also, what's wrong with being a redneck? There's a line between redneck and hillbilly, were quick to remind folk of that. And even on the small farms like ours you'd be amazed how computer controlled everything is now a days, were some high speed rednecks!! :)

(yes, I'm probly the nerdiest one in my local but alas, redneck isn't a bad thing, hill billy on the other hand...)

If I'm not mistaken that's a hummer, not a redneck vehicle lol

also, what's wrong with being a redneck? There's a line between redneck and hillbilly, were quick to remind folk of that. And even on the small farms like ours you'd be amazed how computer controlled everything is now a days, were some high speed rednecks!! :)

(yes, I'm probly the nerdiest one in my local but alas, redneck isn't a bad thing, hill billy on the other hand...)

Oh don't get me wrong, as I love rednecks and even love some of the hillbillies. However rednecks have gotten more sophisticated and not all of them drive around in pickup trucks with 5 inch lift kits on them with 33 inch mud bogger tires. Kyle is the perfect example with his Hummer :D :p

That whole pick up truck/suv explosion in the 90's kinda warped things around where we saw rednecks migrate to SUV's and ordinary white collar workers migrate to pick up trucks that were getting more and more luxurious.

But to answer your question, I have nothing against rednecks and prefer them as company rather than my own people. My own people call me the world's only asian redneck because of what I have typically liked to drive, the music I listen to, and my ultra conservative social and political views.

I have nothing against rednecks and prefer them as company rather than my own people.
I'm going back to a better class of loser
This up-town living's really got me down
I need friends who don't pay their bills on home computers
And who buy their coffee beans already ground
You think it's disgraceful that they drink three-dollar wine
But a better class of loser suits me fine

I might have one more Video Card to put in soon.

I am currently making it my goal to move to Alaska(likely Anchorage) within 5 years, and that is the only thing making me think as those Meese are dangerous. I suppose it is the price you have to pay for being able to live in the lask American frontier, but damn those things are dumb, big, and dumber.

The Moose aren't that dumb. I drive between Valdez and Anchorage on a some what regular basis and have had no issues with these tasty critters.

Moose up here are very large! I hit my first one ever a couple months ago
Luckily it was a smaller one. I replaced my windshield and was back on the road the next day.
And gave the car a bath!
Some relatives of mine were visiting western Canada years ago and they totaled their rental car on a moose. The moose was fine.

Dual hex #3 is up. It should get ~50K ppd on a good unit. It is running a standard A3 at the moment for ~30K. Most of the rest of the farm picked up 2684s in the last 24 hours unfortunately.

Testing OC on new L5640, looks like 3.4GHz for it. Should have it folding before I go to bed tonight, It ran thru linpack (LinX) for about an hour with no hiccups and has currently been running prime95 for almost an hour with no problems. Also has a GTX460 in the box that will be running too.

47jNY.png

Yeah, thats the stuff right there.

Back