The Portal 2 Pre-release Thread - Now Decrypting!

Portal Two

• I have or plan to pre-purchase.

Votes: 175 51.0%
  • I'm planning to get it on release day.

Votes: 34 9.9%
  • I'm waiting for reviews from game sites/friends before deciding.

Votes: 41 12.0%
  • Not buying it until it hits a steep discount.

Votes: 81 23.6%
  • Not interested at all.

Votes: 12 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Switching subjects completely from the potato stuff...

So, you purchase the PS3 version and get the Steam version, correct? I've been thinking about this more and more, and I wonder, how many people are going to buy the PS3 version purely for the Steam version?

Think about it. You buy the PS3 version at the same price as Steam users, or at a discount (if you can find it elsewhere, like the $35 deals). You then unlock the Steam version and sell the PS3 version second hand. It's a win/win for the customer. It's not like PS3 players are going to care about the Steam version, and thus they'll have a glut of used, but in mint condition second hand games. And the Steam user now has a copy of Portal 2 they've bought for what could be nearly half off or more (as even EB Games will give decent money for a second hand game less than a week old).

How did/does Valve stop this from happening?

The PS3 version is tied to your Steam account. I would assume this means you can not sell it to a second hand store.

The PS3 version is tied to your Steam account. I would assume this means you can not sell it to a second hand store.

This would also prevent renting. I cannot see how this could possibly be a good thing for PS3 users.

If the game is released when the potato counter gets to 0 I may just forgive valve for trolling me last Friday. I would love to come home from work and fire up Portal 2.

Be very careful visiting the steam forums -- there are lots of ending spoilers floating around.

edit: Bah, I was off by a digit -- things are aligning for a midnight release -- joy. /s

Last edited:
I just dont get the fascination with this title. Portal was mind numbingly boring. From what ive seen of gameplay in Portal 2, i cant fathom why folks will pay more than 15$ for it. To each their own tho i suppose.

So in summary, the only winner in the potato sack deal is valve.
I wouldn't say the only winner. The indie developers get money and exposure, and it would take a pretty picky gamer to not get $40 worth of enjoyment (inflation adjusted, of course) out of those 13 games.

But I'm crazy. I already had 11 of the games, and went ahead and dropped the $10 on the last two (TWEotW and 123 kick it) and enjoyed one, but the other isn't complete yet... so I can't really judge.

If I had none of the games, and got them all for $40 (minus some change) I don't think I would be disappointed. But I fully acknowledge that some people hate puzzle games and platformers and horror/survival games... But I'd suspect those people may not be able to derive $40 worth of enjoyment out of Portal 2, so they're in for alot of disappointment.

I wouldn't say the only winner. The indie developers get money and exposure, and it would take a pretty picky gamer to not get $40 worth of enjoyment (inflation adjusted, of course) out of those 13 games.

But I'm crazy. I already had 11 of the games, and went ahead and dropped the $10 on the last two (TWEotW and 123 kick it) and enjoyed one, but the other isn't complete yet... so I can't really judge.

If I had none of the games, and got them all for $40 (minus some change) I don't think I would be disappointed. But I fully acknowledge that some people hate puzzle games and platformers and horror/survival games... But I'd suspect those people may not be able to derive $40 worth of enjoyment out of Portal 2, so they're in for alot of disappointment.

That was not even my point but as a sale for the games its not horrible. Not great either though. Its just a couple new games mixed in with cheap old indie games. At $3 a pop I would say its a good price for most of those games.

The point was that the marketing stunt is a joke. At best you get the game at midnight instead of noon. Big whoop. Of course I am sure there are many people out there that can take advantage of that but I would suspect it is not true for the vast majority.

Who cares? All marketing is a joke. Why do companies keep making commercials for Coke and Pepsi? It's not like ppl are going to stop drinking them if they don't put out commercials. Save your millions of dollars and make the product cheaper. That'll see more customers than some stupid commercials.

Who cares? All marketing is a joke. Why do companies keep making commercials for Coke and Pepsi? It's not like ppl are going to stop drinking them if they don't put out commercials. Save your millions of dollars and make the product cheaper. That'll see more customers than some stupid commercials.

Jesus, did you even read my original comment? Get real kid.

Uh..sure. You said the marketing stunt is a joke. Then explained why. I said all marketing is a joke. Then explained why.

That was not even my point but as a sale for the games its not horrible. Not great either though. Its just a couple new games mixed in with cheap old indie games. At $3 a pop I would say its a good price for most of those games.

The point was that the marketing stunt is a joke. At best you get the game at midnight instead of noon. Big whoop. Of course I am sure there are many people out there that can take advantage of that but I would suspect it is not true for the vast majority.
Oh, to be sure. Having the game release a half-day early isn't a big deal in the long run. Heck, until I saw the Cave Johnson/Aperture Science Investment videos, I wasn't even going to pre-order it. But those got me interested and reminded me how much I actually enjoyed the original.

Overall, I'd say it was pretty successful marketing. The 'release portal early' grab may have been a bit much, and I had already had fun with plenty of the potato sack games by then. The additional content and levels they added to some of the potato sack games were pretty great though. I particularly liked the added levels to 'The Ball' and also the Amnesia mini-campaign addition. For some of the puzzled games, they were nice additions, but for others they were probably a little steep in difficulty. And for games like SMB, there was nothing new added.

its a valve game, so its a big deal. i'd say that valve has made some of the best games of all time. the little I have seen of this indicates to me it will be of a similar quality. and with valve, I have had sufficient experience in the past where I feel confident enough to preorder the game without waiting for the reviews.

its a valve game, so its a big deal. i'd say that valve has made some of the best games of all time. the little I have seen of this indicates to me it will be of a similar quality. and with valve, I have had sufficient experience in the past where I feel confident enough to preorder the game without waiting for the reviews.

Agreed!

I just dont get the fascination with this title. Portal was mind numbingly boring. From what ive seen of gameplay in Portal 2, i cant fathom why folks will pay more than 15$ for it. To each their own tho i suppose.

IMHO it is Valve's best single player game yet. My GOTY for sure and I haven't yet gotten to play more than 10 minutes in co-op.

Don't know if it'll be my GOTY. Will have to see. I enjoyed Homefront (too short though) and Crysis 2. Dragonage 2 was kind of a letdown. BF3 and Mass Effect 3 are still on the horizon. Well, I'll get to see how good it is tomorrow. I'm sure like pretty much every Valve game, it won't disappoint.

BF3, DNF, SWToR and this are the ones that will fight for GOTY. If Batman releases in this year, that has a good chance too. Regardless though 2011 is gonna be a SOLID year for PC games, one of the best I can remember in awhile. If you're bitching about $60 video games that give you 10 hours of playtime. Go watch a 1.5 hour movie that you paid $12 for, $9 for some popcorn and $5 for a 32 oz drink, and compare the two.

Source Code is fun, maybe someone will smile at this:

<script type="text/javascript">
var g_originalEstimate = 56119 + ( Math.round( new Date().getTime() / 1000 ) );
var g_updatedEstimate = 31233 + ( Math.round( new Date().getTime() / 1000 ) );
var g_bEnded = false;

var g_currentPotatoCount = 284377;
var g_currentPotatoCountTimestamp = -40 + ( Math.round( new Date().getTime() / 1000 ) );
var g_currentPotatoConsumptionRate = 11.6771584699;

Thats your potato counter on the website

BF3, DNF, SWToR and this are the ones that will fight for GOTY. If Batman releases in this year, that has a good chance too. Regardless though 2011 is gonna be a SOLID year for PC games, one of the best I can remember in awhile. If you're bitching about $60 video games that give you 10 hours of playtime. Go watch a 1.5 hour movie that you paid $12 for, $9 for some popcorn and $5 for a 32 oz drink, and compare the two.

Kind of a bad example. Thats getting early access to a movie..( food is optional too ) I'm sure if there was a way to get early access to a video game it would cost more then 60$. 60$ is to much for any game. and 20$ is to much for a movie too. People need to stop buying them so prices go down faster.

All I have to say is it had better be longer than the first one.

I finished the game, and thought it was the end of the tutorial.:mad:

Glad I only paid like $5 for it............no way I'm paying $50.

I'll be waiting for the discount.

Valve said that Portal 1 was a bit of an experiment, thats why it's short.

They say that Portal 2 will be a full length game (whatever that means)

Gotta be unlocked midnight EST because Killing Floor and Meat Boy are going to finish

Gotta be unlocked midnight EST because Killing Floor and Meat Boy are going to finish

I wish it was on CST...I have to work at 6:45a and I'd love to play this, this evening. :(

I wonder what's gonna happen when the potato counter reaches zero, though this may have already been covered.

Last edited:
20:00 - Preliminary lethality assessment complete
20:00 - Results inconclusive
20:00 - Expanding candidate pool

Golden potato people seem to get to play a little earlier then everyone else, 63 test subjects

1 hour 20 minutes left

Probably 10:30 PM CST (7 minutes away). Whatever happened at 20:00 sped up the time that gets knocked off for finishing additional games.

anyone have a gift copy of the original portal, my buddy has never played it!

Mine came with my Orange Box. Then I got a 2nd copy during their free giveaway. I'll end up with 2 copies of Portal 2 when I get the PS3 version.

this portal launch stuff is appearing to be more and more bullshit
the game is available in stores tomorrow anyway.
looks like a fake manufactured situation where the launch was going to be midnight EST no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back