The Portal 2 Pre-release Thread - Now Decrypting!

Portal Two

• I have or plan to pre-purchase.

Votes: 175 51.0%
  • I'm planning to get it on release day.

Votes: 34 9.9%
  • I'm waiting for reviews from game sites/friends before deciding.

Votes: 41 12.0%
  • Not buying it until it hits a steep discount.

Votes: 81 23.6%
  • Not interested at all.

Votes: 12 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I have to say is it had better be longer than the first one.

I finished the game, and thought it was the end of the tutorial.:mad:

Glad I only paid like $5 for it............no way I'm paying $50.

I'll be waiting for the discount.

People who are not very good at Portal have said that it's as long as 14 hours.

Well I'm just hoping that for once Valve has mastered the on-time release and this game actually unlocks when it's supposed to. I can't count the number of times I've waited up for a midnight unlocking and it didn't even happen until 7am the next day.

Still just can't wait. :)

All I have to say is it had better be longer than the first one.

I finished the game, and thought it was the end of the tutorial.:mad:

Glad I only paid like $5 for it............no way I'm paying $50.

I'll be waiting for the discount.

Wasn't the first Portal like an experiment? Wasn't it mostly bundled with the Orange Box? Now I think it's like a fully fledged game. Otherwise it wouldn't be the normal msrp.

That's my view anyway.

Either steam servers are getting hammered from a sudden surge of pre loaders or Valve are readying up the servers for authentication for activation because my games are updating slow, anyone else?

Either steam servers are getting hammered from a sudden surge of pre loaders or Valve are readying up the servers for authentication for activation because my games are updating slow, anyone else?

I have been trying to get pre-loaded since 6PM Central and its been all over the map, some times up at 1.5MB/s others down at 100 KB/s....

Looks like I won't even get it preloaded before it releases.... (unless I can maintain the 1.1MB/s........ nm there it went.....)

Steam is a fucking piece of shit software. Instead of decrypting, it started downloading another 4 GB of data. I had to kill it in task manager, since it wouldn't fucking close. Restarted it back up, now it's decrypting. Valve needs to fix Steam. It's been a broken piece of shit since the last update.

I've just woke up to see that glados is ready but steam has crashed :rolleyes:

~18mins, 21 seconds left unless the crash hosed it...

I got an incomplete installation after decrypting, then downloading the update. WTF valve! I double click on Portal 2 in my library, it goes to "Completing installation ... 1%", and then "Incomplete installation of Portal 2(10)" and directs me to the Steam forums :?

[Edit]
I guess its a normal error:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847511

[Double Edit]
It installed after about the 4th try. If you get the above error, just keep trying :D

its a connectivity issue due to busy steam servers, i'm getting the same. Not surprising i guess, they have over 14k in the game right now.

It decrypted, then downloaded an update, now it's trying to complete installation and I'm getting an error that the service is too busy.

Yeah. Servers too busy to process the install, apparently.

Seems like they would have figured out how this works by now...

Seriously, WTF did I even preload? 5 more gigs to download, on top of the like..9 gigs I already downloaded and 1 gig update while waiting for release. Guess I'll get to play in maybe 4-5 more days. Fuck preloading.

Wait a minute... They put a STORE in Portal 2? wtf, that doesn't belong here, or in TF2, or...

Seriously, WTF did I even preload? 5 more gigs to download, on top of the like..9 gigs I already downloaded and 1 gig update while waiting for release. Guess I'll get to play in maybe 4-5 more days. Fuck preloading.

I take it this is the first time you've dealt with a big launch on Steam.

Playing Portal 2 now and its great. It loves Quad-SLI. :D

Quad sli brother! 300fps maxed though only on my 1920x1080. :cool:

Plays amazingly well. Looks fantastic. Loving Steve Merchant's voiceover in SP. Going to do the SP in the morning, off to bed now with dreams of Science!

Yeah. Servers too busy to process the install, apparently.

Seems like they would have figured out how this works by now...

agreed. especially considering there was a pre-load available which should be click and go upon unlock. Not to mention the potato business.

I know most people here only have the PC copy, this post is for people considering buying it on console or console/PC.

The PS3 version is definately the best if you are getting it for console, not only because of Steam integration, cross platform multiplayer, included PC/Mac copy, etc etc, but also because it looks way way better.

http://www.gameblurb.net/featured/versus-portal-2-screenshot-comparison/

It isn't often where you see a cross-platform console game look better on the PS3, and it also looks a lot better than it does on the 360. Either way, it is probably the best console port I've seen, looks spectacular on the PS3.

And now I get to play it again on PC, unlocking! :D

I know most people here only have the PC copy, this post is for people considering buying it on console or console/PC.

The PS3 version is definately the best if you are getting it for console, not only because of Steam integration, cross platform multiplayer, included PC/Mac copy, etc etc, but also because it looks way way better.

http://www.gameblurb.net/featured/versus-portal-2-screenshot-comparison/

It isn't often where you see a cross-platform console game look better on the PS3, and it also looks a lot better than it does on the 360. Either way, it is probably the best console port I've seen, looks spectacular on the PS3.

And now I get to play it again on PC, unlocking! :D

Hahaha... the PS3 finally delivered a little bit of payback. :D

interesting. they have added a ton of humor to the game. could not play long. for coop there is a robot enrichment store, seems to be similar to TF2 store with trading. I had 37 items. Appears that some might be linked to the potato games. I did not buy the pack but had most of them anyway.

ySNis.png

:mad::mad::mad:

Hahaha... the PS3 finally delivered a little bit of payback. :D

I was stunned when I played it on PS3 over the weekend, Source has never looked so good or so smooth before. I'd seen the Orange Box and Left 4 Dead 2 on 360 and they looked pretty bad, but Portal 2 looked great.

I then found out that Valve supposedly got technical help from Naughty Dog on the PS3 port. Makes sense, because Uncharted 2 is gorgeous. Either way, they optimized the hell out of it, and they threw in a PC/Mac copy, Steam, cross-platform co-op, etc etc. Its almost like they had something to prove about getting the best console version of Portal 2 on the PS3 and not the XBox.

Learned my lesson(s) about Valve's releases. Seems waiting another week can't hurt their servers any more. :rolleyes:

Will be going to Wally World to pick up the PS3 version on my way home from work this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back