The *Official* Post Pics Of Your Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DiscoStu said:
edited image out[/img]

My little network, nothing fancy. Linksys router, Linksys access point and Linksys 8 port switch with motorolla surf board cable modem.

and the single most powerful tool to any tech, a paper clip :eek:

Get a new modem! That surfboard doesn't support the new DOCSIS versions.

towert7 said:
I have a webserver, but its mostly used by myself and only a few close friends, so it does not get heavy load.
The speeds are about 4000down/384up (Kb/s) for my cable home set-up
For my school setup its about 7000down/1000up (Kb/s).... eaither T1 or T3, not sure.

T1/T3 is sychronus buddy :)

T1 = 1500kb/s up and down
T3 = i forget, 4.5mb/s up and down???

AtomicFire said:
T1/T3 is sychronus buddy :)

Ah, I never knew that, thanks for the info. So that must mean my school just has a fast Cable connection (or multiple)

Also, T1/T3 are dedicated circuts, that means they aren't sharing that bandwidth with any of their friends, which is very different them most Cable internet setups.

LoStMaTt said:
Get a new modem! That surfboard doesn't support the new DOCSIS versions.

hmm thats good to know, thanks ... I'm moving in a few months though, soo i'll let my dad buy a new one if he wants :eek: ...

clarkconnect.jpg

Netgear 16 port switch, prosafe firewall (not in use), and access point.

The bottom box is the firewall/ftp/web/dns/email/dhcp and etc. server for the network running clarkconnect 3.1

draconius said:
IIRC, you can buy heat-shrink style booties of some sort...

@FLECOM: WTF is all that stuff? some procurve's and a giant nortel thing?

I am thoroughly jealous though :D

lol pair of HP Procurve 2650's and a Nortel Passport 8010... gotta get a gige blade for it now... i wish i could afford one of the 10gige blades :eek:

02.after_01.jpg

From left: Netgear FR114P router and a D-link 5port Gigabit switch. ADSL modem is 5 meters away so there goes a long cable to it from my router... I have a 10/1 connection.

lan.png

Ph33r mY l33t paintskillZ! :D

A few more pictures.

My little network:

p52000031tt.jpg

Linksys 802.11b wireless
Motorola cable modem
D-Link 704P (For sale, pm me if you want it..)
2 Monster Cat5 cables (Got em at ratshack for $1 each :D )
1 Black Box cable (Got it free from Black Box)

saturnine2, two questions:

1 - Is that a WRT54G?

2 - Did u cut that bitch open and put a sink on it?!?! :eek:

#1: No, its a BEFW11S4. Got it from Staples this week for $5 after MIR.
#2: Yep, sure did :p It kept crashing after long (1gb+) downloads, and I noticed that it was extremely hot. So, I popped her open, and slapped on a heatsink. It seems to work flawlessly now.

*Edit: I'm actually thinking of installing a small low cfm fan. The sink gets kinda warm, and it would look so l33t with a fan :p

saturnine2 said:
*Edit: I'm actually thinking of installing a small low cfm fan. The sink gets kinda warm, and it would look so l33t with a fan :p

Awesome, then you'll just have to overclock it to the .11 G spec! :D

Nybbles said:
Awesome, then you'll just have to overclock it to the .11 G spec! :D

That too, or he could just overclock the cpu in it so it has a higher throughput! :D

i count 5 Supermicro 1HE servers ... what are they doin ? And whats that 1HE thingy with the green LCD, looks a bit like my Tyan GS10

(i have one in black, 2*1.4GHz PIII-S Tualatins inside @ P3TDDR)

Anarchy said:
i count 5 Supermicro 1HE servers ... what are they doin ? And whats that 1HE thingy with the green LCD, looks a bit like my Tyan GS10

(i have one in black, 2*1.4GHz PIII-S Tualatins inside @ P3TDDR)

2 Mail servers, 1 web server, 1 firewall, and backup server. The black device is a carosel(sp?) style backup device. Holds 10tapes at over 800gb.

moved into new apartment. my humble network,

my closet which contains my networking gear, if you could call it that. linksys cable modem and d-link wireless G router. router was 20 bucks with 40 dollar rebate. snagged it before the ad correction! old linksys 10/100 hub used primarily if i have a lan..

network.jpg

close up

networkclose.jpg

Yet again an Insomnia LAN-party took place in Pori, Finland.
This was the sixth time, but only with 150 participants this time.
As the last time, I took some photos and decided to show a few of them
here.

Our 9.2Mbps SHDSL.
IMG_5066.JPG

mirror

We used wireless as well.
IMG_5085.JPG

mirror

Testing the dhcpcd server.
IMG_5088.JPG

mirror

Some of the switches ZyXEL sponsored for Insomnia.
IMG_5082.JPG

mirror

IMG_5080.JPG

mirror

IMG_5081.JPG

mirror

IMG_5195.JPG

mirror

IMG_5188.JPG

mirror

Testing the connection.
IMG_5101.JPG

mirror

Reseting the switches.
IMG_5177.JPG

mirror

IMG_5178.JPG

mirror

Our Gig-E Backbone.
IMG_5093.JPG

mirror

IMG_5092.JPG

mirror

IMG_5191.JPG

mirror

IMG_5116.JPG

mirror

We didn't have much use for our SHDSL. During the 3 days of gaming,
most of the bandwith was focused on LAN, as we had our own servers
in the local area network.

WAN:
gw_wan-day.png

mirror

IMG_5192.JPG

mirror

IMG_5190.JPG

mirror

See more pics at: http://makaveli.nwps.ws/pics/index.php?dir=Insomnia-2005

IMG_5169.JPG

mirror

IMG_5151.JPG

mirror

We are also building a small "datacenter" with a friend of mine.
There's nothing fancy in there as of yet, but here's a few pics of
the place and some of the equipments we have there.

Nikoita said:
Yet again an Insomnia LAN-party took place in Pori, Finland.
This was the sixth time, but only with 150 participants this time.
As the last time, I took some photos and decided to show a few of them
here.

IMG_5116.JPG

mirror

I wish people around here were that interested in LANing, oh well.

One question though, that rackmount holding your gigabit backbone, where did you get it, and for how much? And do you think it would be capable of holding a 4u server without any problems?

@Nikoita

Nice LAN Party Pictures... Its always nice to have Switches in Flightcases :)

I gathered also some LAN Party pictures from this year together....

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_000.jpg

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_002.jpg

Configuring a network for 350 gamers

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_001.jpg

Cisco Catalyst 6500 powersupply

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_006.jpg

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_005.jpg

Some fiber cables

...part 1

part 2...

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_007.jpg

LAN Party Server Switch (Cisco Catalyst 4000)

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_008.jpg

Proxy Servers and gateway at a 400 gamer party

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_009.jpg

Cisco IP phone for internal communication

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_010.jpg

Powerpanel

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_011.jpg

Cisco Catalyst 3548XL-EN in a flightcase

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_012.jpg
Cisco Catalyst 6500 as a coreswitch at a 450 player party

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_015.jpg

Cisco Catalyst 3524XL-EN Userswitch

part 3...

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_017.jpg

our video equipment and my workplace on the left...

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_018.jpg

my little workplace :D

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_021.jpg

no network but some vga cables

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_022.jpg

screenwall rearview

back to topic with some more networkpics...

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_023.jpg

Cisco 7200 Series VXR and some bundled cablemodems

part 4...

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_025.jpg

preparing networkequipment for a 750 player party

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_027.jpg

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_028.jpg

palletised equipment

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_032.jpg

XperienceLAN_Repuls_Image_033.jpg

once more the Cisco Catalyst 6500 working as coreswitch

Thats it for the moment...

Have Fun

Repuls

I'll have to ask my clients if they dont mind me taking a few pictures....some nice stuff to show you.

Is anyone interested in phone system switches, patch panels/wiring i see TONS of that stuff everyday if anyone cares Ill be sure to take my camera with me from now on.

Lan Party Admin, Now thats a job title... ~drools~

BTW: I had a dream I had a T1 line last night :eek: :D

Well I think I have a post in here really early on, but it never hurts to do a little update. I spent the weekend running Cat5 through my floors and reorganizing all of my network equipment. Here are the fruits of my labor! You'll have to excuse the photo quality, my Canon Powershot S110 is about four years old and it shows. Captions are below the photos and you can click for high res versions (if for some reason you would want them).

This is the "core" of my network, located in my bedroom closet on the 2nd floor. From left to right: Belkin power strip, Motorola SB3100 cable modem (Comcast, 6Mbps/512Kbps I think), Linksys PAP2 (Vonage, second line for home office), WRT54G, Linksys EG008W Gigabit Switch (for server, desktop, and laptop), Dell PowerConnect 2216 10/100 switch. It's a good thing I put this stuff in the closet since the Gigabit switch actually has a fan in it and it's pretty noisy.

An out-of-focus attempt to highlight the cable management behind the devices.

The cable runs going up to the shelf in the closet. Solid-core Cat5e was used for all runs from other floors and all gigabit runs in my room. The cable is being held to the wall with awesome drywall anchors and zip ties.

The bottom of my closet. This is where the cable from inside my room meets up with the cables going through the bottom of my closet into the top of the coat closet and onto other parts of the house. The use of two splitters wasn't necessay (I could have just gotten a 1 to 3), but I didn't feel like making *another* trip to Home Depot. The big spool is the entry into the house, the small spool goes to the modem, the white coax goes to my TV, and the other black coax goes to my mom's room.

My workstation. Powered by a Dell Dimension 4700 (3.4GHz P4HT, 1GB DDR2, 6800GT/X300 depending on what mood the nVidia is in, 80GB/120GB HD, HP/Broadcom PCI-Ex4 Gigabit NIC), a Dell 2004FPW and Samsung 512n. The phone is 2-line, carrying the normal landline and my Vonage line. The speakers (Logitech z-5300e) are AWESOME for the money. Thanks to Tweakmeister for the corny virus posters.

The Dimension and my laptop, an IBM ThinkPad T40 (1.6GHz PM, 1GB DDR, a/b/g WiFi, Intel Gigabit LAN). It doesn't do much more than check email and fold during the summer, but I use it a lot for school.

My Lexmark X6170 and temporary workbench. I'm working on getting a hobby/work area made in the basement, so all my stuff has to stay in my room.

My TV with Comcast Digital Cable and 5-disc Samsung DVD player. My ultimate plan is to have small, low-powered machines at each TV/stereo and play any movie or song I own from anywhere in the house (ala TiVo on steroids).

This is the top of the closet on the first floor where the rest of the Cat5 comes through. With the aid of a foot-long 5/8" paddle bit and some more of those drywall anchors and zip ties, this part was surprisingly easy.

I tried to show the bottom of the 1st floor closet here. Two of the runs split out of the closet. One goes to the TiVo and the other one to mom's computer. The other three continue down the floor into the basement.

The 1st floor entertainment center. Nothing too special. Full 5.1, mom's TiVo.

Mom's computer. Just a P3 866 with 512MB RAM and XP Pro, but it does her email and web surfing just fine.

This is where the cables come through the bottom of the 1st floor closet into the basement. I had to be really careful drilling since this location is right above the circuit panel and all of the power lines that feed the basement. I ran one extra line for future expansion.

The inhabitants of the basement: My SC420 file server and my Folding@Home farm. The SC420 is a 2.8GHz P4HT with 512MB DDR2 and 40GB/80GB HD with onboard PCI-E gigabit LAN. It's running Debian 3.1 (Sarge) - click here for more information. The farm is running fold-server developed by unhappy_mage on Dell OptiPlex GX150's - 1GHz P3's and 512MB RAM.

The back of the farm.

Shot of the server. I will hopefully be running a decent-sized RAID array in here to keep my music and movies. Sharing via Samba/SMB is working great so far.

The Assistant Network Administrator. Primary duties include house cricket dispatching and air filter clogging, not to mention round-the-clock physical intrusion detection. We adopted him about a month ago - he came named 'Hank' but I've gotten pretty used to just calling him 'kitty.'

That's about it! Phase 3 of 5 is complete in my quest for a complete home media solution. I'll be back with more pics next time!

Crashsector [img said:

The Assistant Network Administrator. Primary duties include house cricket dispatching and air filter clogging, not to mention round-the-clock physical intrusion detection. We adopted him about a month ago - he came named 'Hank' but I've gotten pretty used to just calling him 'kitty.'

That's about it! Phase 3 of 5 is complete in my quest for a complete home media solution. I'll be back with more pics next time!

Nice. I have 2 Assistants. Double the Fur,Twice the love/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back