The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

All of the traits can be unlocked by doing certain things in the game - mostly by killing certain mobs. The ability to buy a trait is there as a shortcut as there are a few of these that can be a pain but just organically playing the game and casually seeking things out should get you at least 70% of these things unlocked - the rest take a little bit of effort.

I can make up statistics too. 93.758% of players that enjoy the new trait system are really paid shills. Pulling a statistic out of my ass does not make it true. The only way someone will get 70% of the unlocks is if someone plays a certain way. Many players do not play that way and are unlocking 3-4 traits when they hit level 80. If you enjoy pve and getting map completions you will get more that but that is not how everyone likes to play. There are WvWers and PvPers that want to do as little pve as possible. There are people who make alts for specific things, like making a warrior for dungeon farming and a thief for spvp and roaming in wvw, that do not want to be bothered with doing other things on those characters as they have characters they created for doing that already.

Telling people they are playing wrong and they should just fart around and enjoy the view is a BS line. Most people have a limit to how much farting around they can do and still feel excited about things. Eventually you will get 100% map completion on multiple characters. At that point you have done it all, seen it all, and you are no longer "wowed" by it all. Different people will get there at varying times but everyone will eventually get to that point. Unless of course they aren't in to farting around in the world maps and just want to pvp and wvw.

In this thread
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Traits/page/37#post4283981
there is tons of feedback explaining why the new trait system sucks. There is also tons of feedback on how to fix it. The best way would be to roll back to the original system that didn't force people to do stuff they do not want to do. The old system was perfectly fine and had zero complaints for over year.

I can make up statistics too. 93.758% of players that enjoy the new trait system are really paid shills. Pulling a statistic out of my ass does not make it true. The only way someone will get 70% of the unlocks is if someone plays a certain way. Many players do not play that way and are unlocking 3-4 traits when they hit level 80. If you enjoy pve and getting map completions you will get more that but that is not how everyone likes to play. There are WvWers and PvPers that want to do as little pve as possible. There are people who make alts for specific things, like making a warrior for dungeon farming and a thief for spvp and roaming in wvw, that do not want to be bothered with doing other things on those characters as they have characters they created for doing that already.

Telling people they are playing wrong and they should just fart around and enjoy the view is a BS line. Most people have a limit to how much farting around they can do and still feel excited about things. Eventually you will get 100% map completion on multiple characters. At that point you have done it all, seen it all, and you are no longer "wowed" by it all. Different people will get there at varying times but everyone will eventually get to that point. Unless of course they aren't in to farting around in the world maps and just want to pvp and wvw.

In this thread
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Traits/page/37#post4283981
there is tons of feedback explaining why the new trait system sucks. There is also tons of feedback on how to fix it. The best way would be to roll back to the original system that didn't force people to do stuff they do not want to do. The old system was perfectly fine and had zero complaints for over year.
You aren't forced to do anything though. Literally just buy the traits you want. Which for any build is <5G. Hell, you'll make that before you even get to the level you can spend it at. Even if you're grinding alts in EotM you'll easily make that. Even if you insta-level an alt with crafting and scrolls, but somehow don't have any money, you can easily farm that in an hour or two of champ training or boss farming.

That's also why people aren't taking the criers seriously, you're complaining about such a measly sum of gold it's laughable. I understand not having your traits as early is annoying for people who are build testing, but a build test doesn't mean jack until you're 80 anyway. However, if you put yourself into the shoes of new players, the new system is great. It slowly introduces abilities to players, first using skills (unlockable 0-30), then refining said skills with traits. Furthermore, if you do the math, most skills, except for maybe cooldown reductions, don't have as great an impact until you get level 80 base stats and gear.

You have to come up with a valid argument besides "it's different and that makes me tweaky" for people to take you seriously.

You aren't forced to do anything though. Literally just buy the traits you want. Which for any build is <5G. Hell, you'll make that before you even get to the level you can spend it at. Even if you're grinding alts in EotM you'll easily make that. Even if you insta-level an alt with crafting and scrolls, but somehow don't have any money, you can easily farm that in an hour or two of champ training or boss farming.

That's also why people aren't taking the criers seriously, you're complaining about such a measly sum of gold it's laughable. I understand not having your traits as early is annoying for people who are build testing, but a build test doesn't mean jack until you're 80 anyway. However, if you put yourself into the shoes of new players, the new system is great. It slowly introduces abilities to players, first using skills (unlockable 0-30), then refining said skills with traits. Furthermore, if you do the math, most skills, except for maybe cooldown reductions, don't have as great an impact until you get level 80 base stats and gear.

You have to come up with a valid argument besides "it's different and that makes me tweaky" for people to take you seriously.

Its funny that you say to just go grind zerg trains. Before you could play the game however you want. Just like the manifesto said "play the way you want". Now I'm told to either go join the mindless zerg and press 1 for hours or do 100% map completion again. Before this change I could play how I want, get to level 80, and be able to play any build I wanted. Sometimes I want a zerker build for dungeons, sometimes I want a more balanced build for roaming in wvw and sometimes I want to just do something different just to see. You say for a build it only cost 5gold, before the change it cost less than that to unlock every build.

Just to let you know, I have 1 of every class at level 80 or grandfathered in and I have 5 of those with 100% world map completion. Since they allowed the grandfathering in many people down play the issue because it doesn't affect them as much. That doesn't mean its a good change. The only good thing about it was the respec button and that could have been done with out changing anything else.

I've been out of the loop for ages, what is the "grandfathering" you speak of Cancer?

The ability to join a server is based on the people currently logged in - so if you wait until the middle of the night, you might have a better chance. If he's already joined another server, then he has to pay to transfer.

It might be a pain, but there are good reasons for this - when the game came out, people were server hopping a lot and causing problems in WvW.

Putting a paywall in front of server transfers put a stop to a lot of shenanigans.

Yeah I know, I've been on this server since launch day. I saw the 2 hour WvW queues. It's in a much better state right now, never seen more than a 15 minute queue since I've been playing again, and never on more than one map like it used to be in the past. Seems ironic that it's 100 times harder to get on the server now than when WvW was almost unplayable due to wait times.

I've checked at the most off peak times I can think of (6 AM, 10 AM, etc.) and it's still full. I get that they don't want to let too many people on because they don't want one server to steam roll in the WvW bracket, but I wish there was at least a small window (even if they had to increase the transfer cost more than it is now for the 2-3 highest pop servers).

Its funny that you say to just go grind zerg trains. Before you could play the game however you want. Just like the manifesto said "play the way you want". Now I'm told to either go join the mindless zerg and press 1 for hours or do 100% map completion again. Before this change I could play how I want, get to level 80, and be able to play any build I wanted. Sometimes I want a zerker build for dungeons, sometimes I want a more balanced build for roaming in wvw and sometimes I want to just do something different just to see. You say for a build it only cost 5gold, before the change it cost less than that to unlock every build.
I literally gave you four different scenarios out of many on how you can easily make the gold you need depending on 3 different paths to leveling. You honed on one to cry about. This is why people won't take your argument seriously. Is it different than before? Yes. Is it in anyway difficult? No. No need to cry over it.
Just to let you know, I have 1 of every class at level 80 or grandfathered in and I have 5 of those with 100% world map completion. Since they allowed the grandfathering in many people down play the issue because it doesn't affect them as much. That doesn't mean its a good change. The only good thing about it was the respec button and that could have been done with out changing anything else.
Then why are you even complaining? Furthermore, if you've been playing that long you should know that at current inflation rates this new way is easily comparative to how expensive the 3g10s it was to unlock trait tiers when the game launched. Then, Anet actually forwent taking any gold and made a a whole new method of leveling your character purely by playing the game. You just can't please some people it seems, so inane.

[L]imey;1041019511 said:
I've been out of the loop for ages, what is the "grandfathering" you speak of Cancer?
Characters created before the April 15 still have all their traits unlocked (although you still have to spec by the new 30-60-80 level designations), and you don't have to do events or purchase them individually from trainers.

I GOT DUSK!!!!!!!!

been playing on and off since day one. havent done much in the game other then troll WvW and kick ass with all exotics and 2 peices of ascended jewelery. I've accumulated around 650g in all my game time (you couldnt make gold at all in early days WvW) decided to dump ALL of it on rare lvl 80 greatswords and about 400 greatswords in i got it! Now i have very little t6 mats, like sub 50 of each, and some i have 0 of. Just wrapping up with world completion. and only about 400k into the karma 1m mark. Totally pumped and just when i was getting bored again, having dusk gives the game all purpose. Anyone have spare stuff lol :) ill trade computer parts for loot :p

anyone have higher end mats they dont want? im even willing to pay for them to help get my legendary, only mats are holding me back :( (or gold, cause gold can buy mats lol) This has been 1 year in the making :O so close

Meaning to give GW2 a try I have a WTB thread if you have gotten sick of it or know someone who has. thanks

Not allowed to buy and sell accounts here.

Meh... I bought my account here. And sold several game accounts. Depends on the day. and how you go about doing it.

But guild wars 2 goes on sale from the gw2.com store all the time for 25 bucks... cant beat it.

Meh... I bought my account here. And sold several game accounts. Depends on the day. and how you go about doing it.

But guild wars 2 goes on sale from the gw2.com store all the time for 25 bucks... cant beat it.

I hear ya just repeating the rules. I'm all for it personally but don't go announcing it all over.

I just came back to this game after not playing in over a year, man my lvl 80 thief feels like weaksauce now. Not sure if they actually changed anything or not, but it definitely doesn't feel as strong as I remembered. Of course I never had good gear for it really, I just liked exploring the world.

Picked GW2 up during the 50% off deal, I've wanted it since it came out and it still seems very playable, but even with the guides out the I'm still having a hard time understanding things that involve gear selection and professions. Wondering if i shouldn't have spent more on SoM and if I wouldve got more playability out of it.

STILL loving the game, Im so close to twilight. I just need a bunch t6 mats and Globs of ectos. then im done :D

STILL loving the game, Im so close to twilight. I just need a bunch t6 mats and Globs of ectos. then im done :D

Oh, no you're not! While you're assembling Twilight, you'll get Dawn at some point; then you'll have no choice but to work on finishing Eternity.

Enjoy grinding those mats in the game that promised to end grinding.

oh no!! :eek: for the best weapon in the game they make it actually somewhat difficult :eek: I thought they should just hand them out.
I finshed grinding out my ecto's and most of the mats(took all of 2-3 days?). Now all that's left is karma which you get by... dear god... playing the game!

GW2 is the least grindy mmo I've ever played. The fact that my gear over a year ago is still good enough to stand toe to toe with other plays says something on its own.

Go spew your hate elsewhere.

oh no!! :eek: for the best weapon in the game they make it actually somewhat difficult :eek: I thought they should just hand them out.
I finshed grinding out my ecto's and most of the mats(took all of 2-3 days?). Now all that's left is karma which you get by... dear god... playing the game!

GW2 is the least grindy mmo I've ever played. The fact that my gear over a year ago is still good enough to stand toe to toe with other plays says something on its own.

This game is still an absolute disgrace to what it originally was. Gw1 there was no gear advantage, period. They destroyed it, completely, and i will never buy another GW game again

This game is still an absolute disgrace to what it originally was. Gw1 there was no gear advantage, period. They destroyed it, completely, and i will never buy another GW game again

Agreed. GW1 is in my top 3 games of all time. I had such high hopes for GW2. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone more hype than I for the release. I had a great time with it at first , but in the end it was just a lot of frustration(class bugs, dungeon bugs, balance). It's a great value for a lot of people in terms of content. Art is fantastic, no complaints there. I just felt like it was such a step back from GW1, which was close to perfect IMO. Maybe its the fact that I loved GW1 so much that makes me bitter about what GW2 is. Then you have this whole cash shop thing. And if you start looking at the details of mechanics, it paints an ugly picture. I truly believe at least at the last time of my playing, that Anet was nerfing the drop rate in an attempt to boost the sale of gems in the cash shop. That makes them no better than blizzard and D3 (RMAH and drops prior to 2.0). Thats when I threw my hands up and left.

Agreed. GW1 is in my top 3 games of all time. I had such high hopes for GW2. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone more hype than I for the release. I had a great time with it at first , but in the end it was just a lot of frustration(class bugs, dungeon bugs, balance). It's a great value for a lot of people in terms of content. Art is fantastic, no complaints there. I just felt like it was such a step back from GW1, which was close to perfect IMO. Maybe its the fact that I loved GW1 so much that makes me bitter about what GW2 is. Then you have this whole cash shop thing. And if you start looking at the details of mechanics, it paints an ugly picture. I truly believe at least at the last time of my playing, that Anet was nerfing the drop rate in an attempt to boost the sale of gems in the cash shop. That makes them no better than blizzard and D3 (RMAH and drops prior to 2.0). Thats when I threw my hands up and left.

Valid points, Unfortunately I never had play time with GW1 which I regret. I know people still play it though. The gem shop hasn't bothered me much and I have spent money on it. I figure everyone now and then drop 10-15 bucks on it because im not paying a monthly bill lol. I do love the artistic style and the flow on content IS one of the points which i love. I just recently started getting into some of the lore which I'm also finding interesting. (I usually hate lore. I just want to pew pew) Maybe I'm just getting older and slowing my pace down. I just really love the fact that they don't use the holy trinity and every class is self sustaining (tank, DPS, healer). There are plenty of flaws to name off.

Alot of people claim the game is unbalanced. The dev's out the gate said it wont be a balanced game. This game isnt meant for 1v1 battles (i feel structured pvp takes a backseat but im currently enjoying it) This game gets you thrilled from doing massive 50v60 battles against other servers. Taking castles, keeps and towers is fun for awhile. This game you NEED to play with friends (online or IRL). Running the zerg mentality gets boring fast. Nothing like taking a enemy base and chilling at it with people and holding it for as long as possible. Just need to find your play style and other people with the same intrest and this game is great.
**this game does have its flaws just like every other mmo, but it fits my schedule, play style, and community. I love it and wish I played it sooner**

You can makey any Bullshit argument you want but they flat out promised this shit wouldn't happen and here we are...

Last grindy my ass. Leveling itself is one of the biggest grinds I have seen in years.

I thought they do just hand them out to people with credit cards. Actually everything in the game can be gotten with a credit card except for ascended gear and the retarded achievement armor that will take a person starting today 10 years to get. Yeah 10 years doesn't sound like a grind to me at all.:rolleyes:

The leveling has gone down hill also. They made it so you have to go around and do broken tasks ( as in not accomplishable at all because of bugs or bad game design)to get your traits or pay gold and skill points. The skill points part makes it so you can't just whip out the credit card for this one so that you have to grind to get them all. They won't release any new content besides the living BS and the gemstore skins so to give players more to do they came up with the new trait system so you have to go do crap that you didn't have to do before to get a finished build.

People are calling it Grind Wars because that is all there is to do and it is an embarrassment compared to what arenanet did with Guild Wars 1. GW2 launched in a very good way and it had tons of potential but arenanet has thrown all that potential away and is slowly gutting everything that made it such a great game at launch.

The only things GW2 has going for it now is the pretty graphics and the action based combat. Those are great things to have and great to build on. They don't make up for everything else that arenanet is doing lately though.

You can makey any Bullshit argument you want but they flat out promised this shit wouldn't happen and here we are...

Last grindy my ass. Leveling itself is one of the biggest grinds I have seen in years.
I thought they do just hand them out to people with credit cards...

Oh jesus, not this nonsense again. If you level to quickly "this game sucks and is over too quickly, there's nothing to do." Level too slowly, "this game sucks and is a grind fest."

Let's face it, some MMO players, two great examples above, just like to complain. It wouldn't matter what ANet did, even if it sent them into bankruptcy, as the whiners would still complain to the bitter end.

The community is great, game is improving constantly, tons of tweaks are always being made, and it's free to play after the initial purchase. It's the only game I've kept on my hard drive consistently for the last 2+ years, always new stuff to come back to.

Oh jesus, not this nonsense again. If you level to quickly "this game sucks and is over too quickly, there's nothing to do." Level too slowly, "this game sucks and is a grind fest."

Let's face it, some MMO players, two great examples above, just like to complain. It wouldn't matter what ANet did, even if it sent them into bankruptcy, as the whiners would still complain to the bitter end.

The community is great, game is improving constantly, tons of tweaks are always being made, and it's free to play after the initial purchase. It's the only game I've kept on my hard drive consistently for the last 2+ years, always new stuff to come back to.

So basically if we don't share your opinion we are just whiners? We are supposed to ignore that they failed to deliver on any promises made about this game and keep on playing?

So basically if we don't share your opinion we are just whiners? We are supposed to ignore that they failed to deliver on any promises made about this game and keep on playing?
No, you could be an adult and stop playing if it's not something you enjoy. There's a big world out there, playing something you're not happy with just to continue whining about it is rather pathetic.

No, you could be an adult and stop playing if it's not something you enjoy. There's a big world out there, playing something you're not happy with just to continue whining about it is rather pathetic.

I feel like they did a bait and switch with all their promises and how the state of the game at launch has changed in to the atrocity it is now. When they stop ruining the game or give me my money back then I will stop letting people know how bad the game currently is. If something was good and now its crap, why shouldn't I be able to tell people that. Why shouldn't I explain to people that the new trait system is trash and forces you to do stuff you might not want to do and then you have to do it for each of your characters. You guys want to come here and say how great this game is, well I'm here to tell everyone I don't agree.

And FYI, I did stop playing it and so has everyone that I know, including everyone that was in all the guilds that I had joined. I have logged in once since last January and that was to test the first feature patch that ruined traits. Since then I have watched what is going on hoping they will bring me back. So far all that I have seen makes me wonder what the person making these decisions is smoking. Its like he made a list of the top 10 ways to make a game fail and doing his best to follow it. They even called the new crap in the last feature patch the "NPE" New player Experience, like they want to follow in SOEs foot steps and their "NGE" New Game Experience. It makes me feel like I'm getting punked because some of these decisions are so ridiculous and obviously bad decisions.

Edit to add: Its not just that they are making horrible changes. Its that those bad changes also break working parts of the game and they are not fixing those issues. They attach traits to broken events that are impossible to complete because the event bugs out and arenanet does not fix the event for months. They attach traits to events that have to fail first to be able to be completed but they never fail because the megaserver makes it so there is always enough people there for completion. Megaserver puts so many people into the same maps that there is too many people running the main content that people do not get loot no matter how much they participated. I can go on and on with this. Bottom line arenanet is making horrible change to the game with out any kind of foresight and it has ruined the game. Yeah the game still has pretty graphics and action based combat but everything else is crap now. I guess its a cool game if you like to whip out your credit card and buy fancy skins from the gemstore.

Last edited:

Yeah yeah basic fanboy mentality. So sick of it. " if you love it shout it from the rooftops abd tell everyone" if you fell cheated and don't like what they have done then " keep your fucking mouth shut, be an adult and move on".

This mentality is a fucking disease. Because you like it you get an opinion abd everyone else is pathetic.

I feel like they did a bait and switch with all their promises and how the state of the game at launch has changed in to the atrocity it is now. When they stop ruining the game or give me my money back then I will stop letting people know how bad the game currently is. If something was good and now its crap, why shouldn't I be able to tell people that. Why shouldn't I explain to people that the new trait system is trash and forces you to do stuff you might not want to do and then you have to do it for each of your characters. You guys want to come here and say how great this game is, well I'm here to tell everyone I don't agree.
Really, that's what all the theatrics are about? The new trait system? A minor point in the game that at most, costs you ~28g to fully stack a brand new character, providing you made absolutely 0 gold leveling that character to 80. Better yet, how dare they offer alternatives like, actually playing the game. Wow, just wow.
And FYI, I did stop playing it and so has everyone that I know, including everyone that was in all the guilds that I had joined. I have logged in once since last January and that was to test the first feature patch that ruined traits. Since then I have watched what is going on hoping they will bring me back. So far all that I have seen makes me wonder what the person making these decisions is smoking. Its like he made a list of the top 10 ways to make a game fail and doing his best to follow it. They even called the new crap in the last feature patch the "NPE" New player Experience, like they want to follow in SOEs foot steps and their "NGE" New Game Experience. It makes me feel like I'm getting punked because some of these decisions are so ridiculous and obviously bad decisions.
Except if you pull yourself out of your basement and consider someone else, the new game experience was needed and is a big improvement. Multiple new players I know have enjoyed the new walkthrough approach which explains a lot of the nuances of the game that aren't readily apparent if you're just starting. Heaven forbid ANet considers others' needs besides your own.
Edit to add: Its not just that they are making horrible changes. Its that those bad changes also break working parts of the game and they are not fixing those issues. They attach traits to broken events that are impossible to complete because the event bugs out and arenanet does not fix the event for months. They attach traits to events that have to fail first to be able to be completed but they never fail because the megaserver makes it so there is always enough people there for completion. Megaserver puts so many people into the same maps that there is too many people running the main content that people do not get loot no matter how much they participated. I can go on and on with this. Bottom line arenanet is making horrible change to the game with out any kind of foresight and it has ruined the game. Yeah the game still has pretty graphics and action based combat but everything else is crap now. I guess its a cool game if you like to whip out your credit card and buy fancy skins from the gemstore.
Actually no, megaserver has allowed folks to play together and enjoy the community experience of an MMO. Most events went undone or impossible to complete because no one was ever around to do them. Now more content can be enjoyed by everyone because they're are always people to play with. I have yet to find a trait event that doesn't work, and even if it's broken, you can also buy it, so who cares? It's sounds like you bought in to an MMO and our now upset that it is, surprise, an MMO. This is why no one takes your arguments seriously.

Yeah yeah basic fanboy mentality. So sick of it. " if you love it shout it from the rooftops abd tell everyone" if you fell cheated and don't like what they have done then " keep your fucking mouth shut, be an adult and move on".

This mentality is a fucking disease. Because you like it you get an opinion abd everyone else is pathetic.
No, whining endlessly about nonsense with no basis in reality or any semblance of a cohesive argument is pathetic. Here's the drivel you've so far produced:

Enjoy grinding those mats in the game that promised to end grinding.
That's it, and it's all bullshit. Again, no one is forcing you to grind a damn thing. You can play the game however you like. Because you create a character and the entirety of the world isn't readily available to you does not make the game "grindy." Jesus, go outside.

No, whining endlessly about nonsense with no basis in reality or any semblance of a cohesive argument is pathetic. Here's the drivel you've so far produced:

That's it, and it's all bullshit. Again, no one is forcing you to grind a damn thing. You can play the game however you like. Because you create a character and the entirety of the world isn't readily available to you does not make the game "grindy." Jesus, go outside.

Your completely missing the point. The fact is you cannot obtain items like this without grinding. Period. Just because your one of the few who actually think this game is even reasonably decent says enough about your opnion, the majority don't. Don't start fights and start calling people immature names like you are because they don't agree with you, it incredibly immature.

Your completely missing the point. The fact is you cannot obtain items like this without grinding. Period. Just because your one of the few who actually think this game is even reasonably decent says enough about your opnion, the majority don't. Don't start fights and start calling people immature names like you are because they don't agree with you, it incredibly immature.
Items like what? Legendaries? So you should get one just for showing up, right? Aren't you special. Or, complete your original sentence and we can have a discussion about it.

There's no fight here, people come in here whining without any basis, which is immature. Don't get upset because you got called out on it.

Items like what? Legendaries? So you should get one just for showing up, right? Aren't you special. Or, complete your original sentence and we can have a discussion about it.

There's no fight here, people come in here whining without any basis, which is immature. Don't get upset because you got called out on it.

Lets reiterate....

Anet basically promised that items like this wouldnt ever even exist to begin with and flat out promised to have no grinding in the game. And you are defending this shit why exactly?

I get it, you really really like the game but the fact that you cannot argue is they fucking lied to the community and pulled a bait and switch...

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleaga...old-Arenanet-and-GW2-Out-For-Nexon-Investment

Here is a good read for those that still have no fucking clue what actually happened with this game.

The point is that shortly after Nexon and Crystin Cox arrived on the scene at Arenanet, that company threw 7 years of game philosophy (whether you agreed with it or not), trust, and credibility down the drain in order to, apparently, introduce a gear-treadmill monetization scheme that would require people to either endure a massive grindfest to keep up with top gear stats, or pay to keep up by buying gems in the cash shop, converting them to gold, and then buying Ascended gear and infusions off the trading post.

I didn't get called out on shit. If your going to "call someone out" at least make it the right fucking person. The only thing I said was that they destroyed the entire philosophy of GW1 in that LITERALLY NO GEAR ADVANTAGE could EVER be had. It was 100% skill and team based, no single player could have better items than you, in fact on PVP only character you were handed max level/stat gear. They ruined the entire franchise with this bogus ass horribly implemented pvp game

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleaga...old-Arenanet-and-GW2-Out-For-Nexon-Investment

Here is a good read for those that still have no fucking clue what actually happened with this game.

Reading this makes me sad... I stepped away from PC gaming for 2 years right before GW2 came out, which was one of the titles I was anticipating more than any other. Especially given the amount of time I spent in GW1, which to this day remains my favorite MMO.

I've been on the fence about buying it. Is the game even worth getting into at this point?

Thank you for the link. Its a decent read about what I have felt for a while. Within 6 months after launch arenanet started a trend of changing the game to be more and more grindy and less and less rewarding. All the ways of making gold and getting loot have been nerfed except for the few areas they want populated for the metrics. I have said it probably a million times arenanet is not doing anything unless its connected to the gem store or for the metrics. Plus they currently have a strict code of silence where they will not talk about anything they are working on until a week before release. And even then that's just hype and lies.

It was a great game at launch with potential to be one of the greatest games for years. Now its just a pitiful P2W grinder. It does still have pretty graphics and fun action based combat. To bad you don't use any of that combat except in pvp because everything in pve is massive zergs where you just run around and press 1 since the megaserver was introduced.

Really, that's what all the theatrics are about? The new trait system? A minor point in the game that at most, costs you ~28g to fully stack a brand new character, providing you made absolutely 0 gold leveling that character to 80. Better yet, how dare they offer alternatives like, actually playing the game. Wow, just wow.
Except if you pull yourself out of your basement and consider someone else, the new game experience was needed and is a big improvement. Multiple new players I know have enjoyed the new walkthrough approach which explains a lot of the nuances of the game that aren't readily apparent if you're just starting. Heaven forbid ANet considers others' needs besides your own.
Actually no, megaserver has allowed folks to play together and enjoy the community experience of an MMO. Most events went undone or impossible to complete because no one was ever around to do them. Now more content can be enjoyed by everyone because they're are always people to play with. I have yet to find a trait event that doesn't work, and even if it's broken, you can also buy it, so who cares? It's sounds like you bought in to an MMO and our now upset that it is, surprise, an MMO. This is why no one takes your arguments seriously.

First off the new trait system will cost you 43gold and 360 skill points to unlock all traits not 25gold. Before the change it cost you 4gold and 0 skill points. Which is over 10 times the cost in gold. Lets not forget that skill points are also used for those things called skills. So when you hit level 80 and have 100% map completion you will still need over 200 skill points more to unlock every skill and trait so that you can do what you used to be able to start doing at level 60 in the old trait system and that is play with builds.

You used to be able to level in any way you want. Want to WvW and hate PVE, then just WvW. Don't like WvW and just want to PVE, then just PVE. Don't like WvW or PVE, then just PVP. All of those were expectable ways of just you know playing and like the manifesto at launch said "play it the way you want", I know its a crazy idea but yeah you used to actually be able to just play the game. Now after the new trait system was launched you are forced to grind and buy gold or go play areas of the game you may not like. Don't like WvW, that's to bad you have to go there to get key traits. Don't like PVE, too bad you have to go there and do events and map completion for other key traits. What you have said is exactly what the game used to be but now its been taken away to force players in to content they do not like and were not playing. The new "NPE" is just as bad as SWGs "NGE". It has done nothing to teach anything or help new players. All that it has done is dumb down content and level gate everything much farther out than it used to be. It does nothing to explain the things that are unique to GW2 such as dodging, downed state, and rallying. Also how does it help new people to increase the cost on skills and abilities when this game is so gold starved they will have a hard time getting 1 gold with out buying it, maybe that's it they just expect new players to whip out the credit card.

The only events that went undone before the megaserver were in midlevel areas that weren't really worth doing anyways. Its a flat out lie to say events aren't broken or uncompletable and then you try to cover it up and down play it by saying just buy it, like they are cheap. Your condescending comments and insults will not help your spin. I'm not sure why you try to attack me for not liking what they have done to what used to be a good game. I only state what I have experienced and what my opinion of that experience is. To make it easy GW2 used to be a good game with great potential but now its just a P2W grinder.

Last edited:
Back