The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I try and get into the game, i was playing it a little last night and i just cant seem to enjoy it. It just feels to simple and the combat isn't as enjoyable as WoW for me. I loved playing my mage

Just a case of spamming 5 abilities endlessly is what it feels like

I see this posted now and again and don't quite understand how or why this thought process came to be. I guess people heard the words "cash shop" and got out the pitchforks before they thought about it. Explain how lowering drop rates would funnel people to the cash shop.

Diablo 3 just lowered their legendary drop rates buy a marginal level... im not getting my pitch fork out.... And I for one NEVER used the cash shop until recently been playing since launch.
item
1) That cool herald flag thing i love for when im in PVP that shows my guild
2) I spent around $60 Converting Gems to gold to pay for what was left for my Twilight legendary. I work and spend more time with the family than i do play. so over the course of 2-3 months i put like 5 bucks aside a week and bought the rest of my mats. I see people rage about this... I own a twilight because i PAID for it.... the weapon doesnt make me ANY stronger than any other player. Its SLIGHTLY (almost laughable compared to most games. but GW2 is about balance) better then a exotic and equal with ascended. I appreciate what GW2 has done. I don't have hours to spend on the game and really wanted it. It gave me a option to buy a equal weapon that would normally take me 6 months at the rate of i was going (1h a day if that)

I try and get into the game, i was playing it a little last night and i just cant seem to enjoy it. It just feels to simple and the combat isn't as enjoyable as WoW for me. I loved playing my mage

The simplicity is very deceiving. When you start getting into the high end instances or WvW/PvP Those 5 abilities will make or break you in a fight. Its all about knowing when to use condition blocks/wipes/reversals. also knowning when to use an ability before your opponent uses theirs/about to use theirs. The combat was really boring to me while lvling but once i got to the meat and potatoes i had a lot of fun. Roaming with friends in WvW or doing PvP matches is really fun as well.

Logged in for the first time since 2012. Ran around a bit. Logged off. Just can't get into it again.

Alright i will play it some more, i do like the exploration feel and the game looks amazing tbh probably the best looking MMO ever

I see this posted now and again and don't quite understand how or why this thought process came to be. I guess people heard the words "cash shop" and got out the pitchforks before they thought about it. Explain how lowering drop rates would funnel people to the cash shop.

Rare crafting mats gained from salvaging rare items. Regarding the drop rate. I experienced it first hand. Many people on the official forum added up a ton of data (hours played, area farmed, yellows dropped, etc). It all seemed to happen after one patch. The yellow drops just dried up. So did the drop rate of rare mats. If all this user data is to be believed, the numbers just tanked. I could personally tell just by playing. I could play for hours and get hardly anything. So many other people were reporting the same thing and again if there data was to be believed, they had numbers to back it up. Guess where yellows and rare mats could be obtained? Auction house with gold. Gold was sold at the Gem Shop. That changed everything and explained how it would make sense financially for Anet to lower the drop rate of yellows.

I'm not normally a tin foil hat wearing kind of guy but I can promise you this happened. User collected data aside, I could just tell. I stuck it out for months, patch after patch with no change. Many people believed that it could be a bug. I think the answer was Anet turned down the drops to coax people to spend real money. It was THE grindy'est thing I've ever played (if you were saving for a legendary). Again, I think GW2 is a fantastic value for just about anybody. Things could have totally changed after I left as well. I haven't been back to find out.

I

Last edited:

If that's all you're doing you're going to get your ass kicked. Most classes have at least 14 abilities (5 from each weapon set + 3 utility + 1 elite, nevermind kits), and the complexity comes from the dynamic nature of fights. Boons, conditions, dodging, combos, and chains are all very important in most end game fights.
1) That cool herald flag thing i love for when im in PVP that shows my guild
2) I spent around $60 Converting Gems to gold to pay for what was left for my Twilight legendary...
I agree that drop rates for precursors are a little screwed, but then legendaries are supposed to be rare. I think there's a dichotomy there that on one hand, it's nice to have the "quick option" to buy the gold to get whatever you want, but on the other side defeats the meaning of legendaries if they're easily obtained.
Rare crafting mats gained from salvaging rare items. Regarding the drop rate. I experienced it first hand. Many people on the official forum added up a ton of data (hours played, area farmed, yellows dropped, etc). It all seemed to happen after one patch. The yellow drops just dried up. So did the drop rate of rare mats. If all this user data is to be believed, the numbers just tanked. I could personally tell just by playing. I could play for hours and get hardly anything. So many other people were reporting the same thing and again if there data was to be believed, they had numbers to back it up. Guess where yellows and rare mats could be obtained? Auction house with gold. Gold was sold at the Gem Shop. That changed everything and explained how it would make sense financially for Anet to lower the drop rate of yellows.

I'm not normally a tin foil hat wearing kind of guy but I can promise you this happened. User collected data aside, I could just tell. I stuck it out for months, patch after patch with no change. Many people believed that it could be a bug. I think the answer was Anet turned down the drops to coax people to spend real money. It was THE grindy'est thing I've ever played (if you were saving for a legendary). Again, I think GW2 is a fantastic value for just about anybody. Things could have totally changed after I left as well. I haven't been back to find out.
I think you're confusing games or just confused in general. There's now guaranteed rare drops from every world boss and some special events and level ups have a very high chance of giving them (essentially guaranteed). The auction house just drives a player economy. It's all in game, I'm not sure where you see the need to spend real money for anything.

If that's all you're doing you're going to get your ass kicked. Most classes have at least 14 abilities (5 from each weapon set + 3 utility + 1 elite, nevermind kits), and the complexity comes from the dynamic nature of fights. Boons, conditions, dodging, combos, and chains are all very important in most end game fights.
I agree that drop rates for precursors are a little screwed, but then legendaries are supposed to be rare. I think there's a dichotomy there that on one hand, it's nice to have the "quick option" to buy the gold to get whatever you want, but on the other side defeats the meaning of legendaries if they're easily obtained.

I think you're confusing games or just confused in general. There's now guaranteed rare drops from every world boss and some special events and level ups have a very high chance of giving them (essentially guaranteed). The auction house just drives a player economy. It's all in game, I'm not sure where you see the need to spend real money for anything.

Man your still pulling this? Mutliple people have said the exact same thing about the game and your still saying the exact same defense. Even with the expansion being announced this game has very little interest from most people. Hell im surprised theyre even doing an expansion, i would guess their active playerbase has dropped significantly from launch

Again, it's been a long time since I played. It sounds like they changed it, so cool.

2) I spent around $60 Converting Gems to gold to pay for what was left for my Twilight legendary

I rest my case.
And so no one is confused, pliskin679 I'm not judging you for spending money at the gem shop, it just proves my point that they designed the endgame around the gem shop.

I'm actively playing the game again...and I love it. It's the only MMO I have been able to come back to and enjoy the PvE experience time and again. Dungeons are still fun, if you have a guild or active friends who don't care if you aren't running the current meta build. WvW still fun as ever, excited about the additions in the expansion. To you guys saying the game is crap, what are you playing? This game has to be best MMO fix out there right now. I've gone back to WoW, EQ, EQ2, tried new the garbage out there in the way of ArcheAge etc., none of them really hold a candle to what GW2 has to offer in a PvE experience. (all IMO of course)

PS -- I give zero shits about the Gem store. It is irrelevant to me. I have played this game since launch off and on and I have probably only spent about $20 dollars in the Gem store on cosmetic stuff. I don't have a legendary, but they are going to make the pre-cursor weapons questable and much easier to obtain via the expansion. I never had enough time to devote to getting all of the requirements for a legendary weapon.

I'm actively playing the game again...and I love it. It's the only MMO I have been able to come back to and enjoy the PvE experience time and again. Dungeons are still fun, if you have a guild or active friends who don't care if you aren't running the current meta build. WvW still fun as ever, excited about the additions in the expansion. To you guys saying the game is crap, what are you playing? This game has to be best MMO fix out there right now. I've gone back to WoW, EQ, EQ2, tried new the garbage out there in the way of ArcheAge etc., none of them really hold a candle to what GW2 has to offer in a PvE experience. (all IMO of course)

PS -- I give zero shits about the Gem store. It is irrelevant to me. I have played this game since launch off and on and I have probably only spent about $20 dollars in the Gem store on cosmetic stuff. I don't have a legendary, but they are going to make the pre-cursor weapons questable and much easier to obtain via the expansion. I never had enough time to devote to getting all of the requirements for a legendary weapon.

GW2 is an awful mmo. Any mmo that has microtransactions that is nearly required is bad. Not to mention them trying to kill off the trifecta of tank/healer/dps makes the gameplay abysmal. I cant stand the dungeon system and how the encounters are built. They tried to do something different but failed.

FFXIV is betterm WoW is still better. The WvW system is flat out lazy and i cant stand it. As ive said before, they completely ruined what made the first game great, which was the PvP system. The PvP in this game doesnt hold a candle to what GW1 was and is what made is such a successful game

Man your still pulling this? Mutliple people have said the exact same thing about the game and your still saying the exact same defense. Even with the expansion being announced this game has very little interest from most people. Hell im surprised theyre even doing an expansion, i would guess their active playerbase has dropped significantly from launch
No, you want to sulk and are upset that you're inane points don't hold any weight. You're sitting here saying "most people" agree with you yet there's a huge community and the game is always full. Cry about it somewhere else.
I rest my case.
And so no one is confused, pliskin679 I'm not judging you for spending money at the gem shop, it just proves my point that they designed the endgame around the gem shop.
What? Having the option available and stating it's "required" are two very different points that you for some reason are trying to equate. None of the Legendaries are "required" and there's still the option to play content and craft them yourself.
GW2 is an awful mmo. Any mmo that has microtransactions that is nearly required is bad. Not to mention them trying to kill off the trifecta of tank/healer/dps makes the gameplay abysmal. I cant stand the dungeon system and how the encounters are built. They tried to do something different but failed.
Cool, the millions of players of this game won't miss you or your perpetual whining. Seems like you're just upset that GW2 left your favorite MMO's in the dust.

Couldn't agree more. There isn't a single MMO out there that compares to experience and value GW2 offers. With coming expansion it's just more so, everyone I'm playing with is excited; great times!

FFXIV is betterm WoW is still better. The WvW system is flat out lazy and i cant stand it. As ive said before, they completely ruined what made the first game great, which was the PvP system. The PvP in this game doesnt hold a candle to what GW1 was and is what made is such a successful game
PvP rarely holds an audience long term in online games. In this case gw2 has actually been growing its PvP base which is quite rare.

The game doesn't require microtransactions. It is purely cosmetic and things like bag upgrades you can just convert gold to gems to buy.

I mainly PvP and WvW in the game at this point. I make huge piles of gold and have never had a need to use real cash. lol

I am thinking you are just wanting the cosmetic items now?

In regards to the removal of the holy trinity. That is the best thing to happen ever to a mmorpg. Playing a healer is the single most boring thing I have ever done. Tank isn't far behind either.

I must be playing a completely different game than some people. I have never ever felt like I was forced to buy anything from the gem shop. However, my biggest gripe is actually living world season 2. I didn't log in for the past year or so, so I ended up buying the episodes with gems. Other than that, I bought a few cosmetics.

Anyway, I finally got all my characters to 80 with full exotics after taking long ass breaks every now and then. That was one of my original goals. Looking forward to leveling a Revenant to 80. I keep coming back every now and then, I just love the world.

PvP rarely holds an audience long term in online games. In this case gw2 has actually been growing its PvP base which is quite rare.

The game doesn't require microtransactions. It is purely cosmetic and things like bag upgrades you can just convert gold to gems to buy.

I mainly PvP and WvW in the game at this point. I make huge piles of gold and have never had a need to use real cash. lol

I am thinking you are just wanting the cosmetic items now?

In regards to the removal of the holy trinity. That is the best thing to happen ever to a mmorpg. Playing a healer is the single most boring thing I have ever done. Tank isn't far behind either.

Then you never played GW1. 95% of the game was PVP, that is what it was built for and what it succeeded as. It grew exponentially after launch due to its competitive PVP alone, they destroyed with the horribly implemented WvW system, its horrible

No, you want to sulk and are upset that you're inane points don't hold any weight. You're sitting here saying "most people" agree with you yet there's a huge community and the game is always full. Cry about it somewhere else.

What? Having the option available and stating it's "required" are two very different points that you for some reason are trying to equate. None of the Legendaries are "required" and there's still the option to play content and craft them yourself.

Cool, the millions of players of this game won't miss you or your perpetual whining. Seems like you're just upset that GW2 left your favorite MMO's in the dust.

Couldn't agree more. There isn't a single MMO out there that compares to experience and value GW2 offers. With coming expansion it's just more so, everyone I'm playing with is excited; great times!

lolololol huge community? Not even close, there was a point in time i could play for hours on my max level chars and not see a single person. The playerbase isnt that large, compared to other games not even just mmo's, it is not a huge playerbase, its relatively small compared to the largest games out there.

My biggest problem with the gameplay was that to me, it felt like every dungeon or encounter was just a massive zerg. Like all classes regardless of build were just zerging away. It honestly felt like every player was just a DPS.

My biggest problem with the gameplay was that to me, it felt like every dungeon or encounter was just a massive zerg. Like all classes regardless of build were just zerging away. It honestly felt like every player was just a DPS.

I believe that's due to the effect of not having the holy trinity, healer, tank and dps.

They've substantially changed big boss events, particularly in the living world season 1. An example is the big marionette where people get teleported as groups of 5 from each lane and they do a mini encounter etc. I feel like it's pretty tiring debating with people who only played for the first few months vs. people who have been playing content since then. There's really no point. No one's going to change their mind because the two really are playing different games.

I believe that's due to the effect of not having the holy trinity, healer, tank and dps.
That's the wrong way of thinking about it. There are many SP and MP games that have interesting encounters with no trinity or roles.

Then you never played GW1. 95% of the game was PVP, that is what it was built for and what it succeeded as. It grew exponentially after launch due to its competitive PVP alone, they destroyed with the horribly implemented WvW system, its horrible

So... I was actually part of Eternum Pariah (there were really only 10 of us in the guild at a time, 8 of us GvGing and 2 subs) before the expansions came out:
bvX78pe.png

Yea, PvP was huge for us. But I spent 90% of my time in PvE. Some other people didn't. All of my expansion play time was pretty much exclusively PvE. Oh and before we get into yet another argument in this thread; I absolutely agree that WvW is pretty awful. I hate it. Good thing they're bringing GvG back in the expansion (it's called Guild Wars!). sPvP is decent for jumping in and just playing a game every now and then. But I've seen it time and time again with MMOs and PvP enthusiasts; they absolutely underestimate the sheer volume of hours put into PvE by the rest of the playerbase.

lolololol huge community? Not even close, there was a point in time i could play for hours on my max level chars and not see a single person. The playerbase isnt that large, compared to other games not even just mmo's, it is not a huge playerbase, its relatively small compared to the largest games out there.
Again... people who haven't actually played the game recently. PvE is now a megaserver. You can't go anywhere without encountering other people. I think there are often too many, makes the events a rush to get your hits in etc.

Last edited:
They've substantially changed big boss events, particularly in the living world season 1. An example is the big marionette where people get teleported as groups of 5 from each lane and they do a mini encounter etc. I feel like it's pretty tiring debating with people who only played for the first few months vs. people who have been playing content since then. There's really no point. No one's going to change their mind because the two really are playing different games.

That's the wrong way of thinking about it. There are many SP and MP games that have interesting encounters with no trinity or roles.

So... I was actually part of Eternum Pariah (there were really only 10 of us in the guild at a time, 8 of us GvGing and 2 subs) before the expansions came out:
bvX78pe.png

Yea, PvP was huge for us. But I spent 90% of my time in PvE. Some other people didn't. All of my expansion play time was pretty much exclusively PvE. Oh and before we get into yet another argument in this thread; I absolutely agree that WvW is pretty awful. I hate it. Good thing they're bringing GvG back in the expansion (it's called Guild Wars!). sPvP is decent for jumping in and just playing a game every now and then. But I've seen it time and time again with MMOs and PvP enthusiasts; they absolutely underestimate the sheer volume of hours put into PvE by the rest of the playerbase.

Again... people who haven't actually played the game recently. PvE is now a megaserver. You can't go anywhere without encountering other people. I think there are often too many, makes the events a rush to get your hits in etc.

this was before the megaservers. The record for most players online at a time was sub 500k, there are not millions of active players currently, probably not even close to 1 million active more than a few hours a week players. The game just wasnt sustainable. GvG might change things, but only if they do it in the right matter which was what GW1 where equipment didnt matter, it was all skill and teamwork. I should be able to create a pvp only character with max stats and abilities unlocked just like the original. I was in Team Fun which got to top 10 at one point before i stopped playing. I never bothered with PVE, i just sold runs

this was before the megaservers. The record for most players online at a time was sub 500k, there are not millions of active players currently, probably not even close to 1 million active more than a few hours a week players. The game just wasnt sustainable. GvG might change things, but only if they do it in the right matter which was what GW1 where equipment didnt matter, it was all skill and teamwork. I should be able to create a pvp only character with max stats and abilities unlocked just like the original. I was in Team Fun which got to top 10 at one point before i stopped playing. I never bothered with PVE, i just sold runs

You know what? I don't even pay attention to how many active players there are. Why should that even matter? The zones are populated, you're never alone for events, and you can find other players to do things. I played GW1 on and off for years without ever knowing how many active players there were.

I feel like there's an enormous amount of bias in this thread based on how individuals played the game and extrapolation to how everyone played the game.

You know what? I don't even pay attention to how many active players there are. Why should that even matter? The zones are populated, you're never alone for events, and you can find other players to do things. I played GW1 on and off for years without ever knowing how many active players there were.

I feel like there's an enormous amount of bias in this thread based on how individuals played the game and extrapolation to how everyone played the game.

This is probably part of the reason why I have so much fun each time I return to the game. I actually hadn't given it a ton of thought until reading your post, but it's very true. Level scaling was the singular best idea they could have come up with. Regardless of when I have come back to the game, and it's been half a dozen times that I have taken breaks since launch, EVERY zone in the game is still well populated. Hell, I work from home and log in regularly sometimes at 9-10AM and there are plenty of people on to play with. This simply just isn't true with any other MMO. People get to max level, expansions are released, climb to the next tier, and the old content is completely forgotten.

why does vlad even post here anymore? I'm going pumped?

Who cares about the raw numbers. Are there enough players to enjoy the content across all levels? If yes, then awesome. Stop the whole, "This game sucks because the population is low" shit.

I don't even have to play this game to know that it is a stupid argument.

Playerbase absolutely DOES matter, especially with the reintroduction of more competitive/better pvp system. The higher the population is the better and more accurate the ranking system will be. Match making/finding will be faster. In a game like this if you think the size of the playerbase doesnt matter then you dont have much experience with these games. they sold 4 million copies, if it couldnt even retain 25% of it as active playerbase it wasnt a very successful outing for ANet. And if thats the case, they need to evaluate why population dropped off so hard when it didnt in GW1. And thats probably exactly what led to guild halls and GvG as that was the primary focus in GW1

just found out 3 of my friends decided to pick the game up yesterday and they are already lvl 30's. my one friend was on the rocks if he was going to stay until he came across a jumping puzzle. They seem to like it so far

Playerbase absolutely DOES matter, especially with the reintroduction of more competitive/better pvp system. The higher the population is the better and more accurate the ranking system will be. Match making/finding will be faster. In a game like this if you think the size of the playerbase doesnt matter then you dont have much experience with these games. they sold 4 million copies, if it couldnt even retain 25% of it as active playerbase it wasnt a very successful outing for ANet. And if thats the case, they need to evaluate why population dropped off so hard when it didnt in GW1. And thats probably exactly what led to guild halls and GvG as that was the primary focus in GW1

You sound ridiculous. Do you even have numbers or are you just ranting for the sake of hearing your own voice? "My pvp rating won't be accurate without millions of other players participating in the thing that I want to do". Christ man.

You sound ridiculous. Do you even have numbers or are you just ranting for the sake of hearing your own voice? "My pvp rating won't be accurate without millions of other players participating in the thing that I want to do". Christ man.

Or i know how ranking systems work and what the margin of error based on statistics and sample sizes are? Or maybe the fact that ANet EXPLICITLY SAID the record for most online users at a single time is 450k? And that was years ago? The population in the game sucks, because its an average game at best, simple fact

Or i know how ranking systems work and what the margin of error based on statistics and sample sizes are? Or maybe the fact that ANet EXPLICITLY SAID the record for most online users at a single time is 450k? And that was years ago? The population in the game sucks, because its an average game at best, simple fact
Honestly, where did GW2 touch you? Your posts have gone beyond bellyaching to the point of neurosis. Every time I log on this forum, I see this thread at the top with more of your asinine drivel after many have proven you out of touch to downright ridiculous. And yet you're still here on a tech sub-forum, wasting hours arguing about a game you're not playing, in a community enthusiast thread for it. Let it go, I'm not going to bother entertaining your nonsense anymore.

Honestly, where did GW2 touch you? Your posts have gone beyond bellyaching to the point of neurosis. Every time I log on this forum, I see this thread at the top with more of your asinine drivel after many have proven you out of touch to downright ridiculous. And yet you're still here on a tech sub-forum, wasting hours arguing about a game you're not playing, in a community enthusiast thread for it. Let it go, I'm not going to bother entertaining your nonsense anymore.

lol your the one acting not on ridiculous but completely childish at the same time. You act like i kicked your dog or something, im not even the only fucking person in this thread with negative comments about the game, not even close

Quoting you from August last year, to show your tune remains exactly the same:

I hope this game dies a cold lonely death.

I was PISSED when they made the initial announcements about this game, they COMPLETELY destroyed everything that made the 1st game great, which was organized, coherent, strategic PvP in both Arenas and GvG. It disgusted me when i heard their plans for PVP.

I was a healer for team fun guild in GW1 and we got to top 40 in the world. They changed way way WAYYYY to much from GW1

It sounds like you've been grinding this same axe since 2009, when ArenaNet first decided to show GW2 to the public. Put it down, man, and walk away. You don't look good doing this.

It sounds like you've been grinding this same axe since 2009, when ArenaNet first decided to show GW2 to the public. Put it down, man, and walk away. You don't look good doing this.

for what? stating facts about a game? Yeah ok. Being a fan of a game doesnt mean blindly ignoring or bashing any criticism of that, thats pure fanboy bs

for what? stating facts about a game? Yeah ok. Being a fan of a game doesnt mean blindly ignoring or bashing any criticism of that, thats pure fanboy bs

Endlessly repeating "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE" for months on end is not stating facts or offering criticism of a game. It's being a nuisance.

I agree. I think at this point Vlads views on the game are pretty well known, no need to continue to re-insert the same negative comments into the conversation when you literally have nothing helpful or worthwhile to add to your comments from years back. Let the people who actually play the game give their opinions as they are much more relevant. Not trying to be a dick or anything, but at this point you're kind of trolling the thread in a way.

Endlessly repeating "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE" for months on end is not stating facts or offering criticism of a game. It's being a nuisance.

you have anger issues. Serious ones. I didnt even post in this thread until literally 3 days ago when the expansion was announced. You need to learn to control that temper, simple as that, your doing absolutely nothing but flame at this point

well again, We like the game.... go find something better to do with your time...

This combined with the pretty boring loot is why I can't get into the game.

I think if the loot actually mattered somewhat I would at least hit 80. I realize the game isn't a loot game really, but I didn't think it would matter to me until I played the game.

It also doesn't help that I look at future skills and nothing really excites me to unlock so I don't see a build I really want to play. I also don't feel like deleting characters to try the other professions.

I regret buying this game. I had a ton of fun with Guild Wars 1 especially the end game runs such as UW/FoW and dungeons that actually took skill and teamwork.

This game just feels like everything is scattered around and it is way too easy.

Back