The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Well the thing with the Engineer, from what I gather anyway, is that it's a support style class. It's not much of a "build a tank, then kill everyone in 2 shots" type deal. It's a 'slower' class, generally. Thief might be fun for you, it's a bit more challenging than other classes, but I suppose no one ever learned much if everything was handed to them!

Can still use pistols and shit as well.

Engineer also gets less weapon options than other classes, because they use their engineer kits instead. Just something to keep in mind before you jump into an engi.

aw really? I was thinking of a Norn Engi - I can always create a new character can't I?.. If I want to try another class, or do I have to delete my other character first?..

Forgive my ultra nooby questions

aw really? I was thinking of a Norn Engi - I can always create a new character can't I?.. If I want to try another class, or do I have to delete my other character first?..

you can have up to 5 characters at once. After that you will have to buy more character slots or delete them to make more.

Make a warrior. It's easy to play, you can use tons of different weapons, and you're less likely to die from hitting a wrong button or getting in a fight with multiple enemies.

Leave the complex classes for later. Engineer is not all that easy to play well. By the time you're level 20 you'll be getting your ass handed to you if you don't use all your skills properly.

Warrior is an excellent starting class. Thief and Engineer are more advanced as well as the necro and Mesmer. Guardian or Ranger might be a couple alternates to try as well. Feel free to keep asking questions because it is easy to get overwhelmed.

I've been playing MMO's since the beginning of WoW and I was confused with GW2 for a few days until I caught on.

Ranger feels stupidly under-powered to me, but maybe I'm just not far enough along yet? (Level 26 Norn Ranger) I don't have any of the higher end trait skills yet, and from what someone was saying earlier they can greatly boost your damage output. I think someone had a warrior that could crit almost constantly?

I get swarmed and taken down very quickly. I try to pull harder mobs but often one shot from Longbow range will bring 3+. 1v1 I can typically get my pet to play meat shield and I'm good, but if it pulls aggro on too many even its hp isn't enough. I've tried longbow, shortbow, 2 handed sword, one handed sword and dagger / torch / warhorn... Nothing really does it for me, but I'm far along enough with the character I have this desire to "salvage" it somehow.

Maybe I'm just running a bad skill build. I'll mess around with it when I have more time, and suggestions are appreciated. This isn't a new thing though -- I've been waiting for it to take off from minute one. My level 4 thief feels like it has 10x the stopping power of my ranger. Similar with Ele (though they feel like they're made of tissue paper). Necro, while no longer fun to play, also has better damage output and survivability.

I have a Warrior around 15 or 16 and it's strong but boring. Having a hard time keeping it going. At least the ranger having the damage output of a warrior 10 levels below it (if that) leaves things "interesting" as I'm constantly kiting and panicking.

Ranger feels stupidly under-powered to me, but maybe I'm just not far enough along yet? (Level 26 Norn Ranger) I don't have any of the higher end trait skills yet, and from what someone was saying earlier they can greatly boost your damage output. I think someone had a warrior that could crit almost constantly?

I get swarmed and taken down very quickly. I try to pull harder mobs but often one shot from Longbow range will bring 3+. 1v1 I can typically get my pet to play meat shield and I'm good, but if it pulls aggro on too many even its hp isn't enough. I've tried longbow, shortbow, 2 handed sword, one handed sword and dagger / torch / warhorn... Nothing really does it for me, but I'm far along enough with the character I have this desire to "salvage" it somehow.

Maybe I'm just running a bad skill build. I'll mess around with it when I have more time, and suggestions are appreciated. This isn't a new thing though -- I've been waiting for it to take off from minute one. My level 4 thief feels like it has 10x the stopping power of my ranger. Similar with Ele (though they feel like they're made of tissue paper). Necro, while no longer fun to play, also has better damage output and survivability.

I have a Warrior around 15 or 16 and it's strong but boring. Having a hard time keeping it going. At least the ranger having the damage output of a warrior 10 levels below it (if that) leaves things "interesting" as I'm constantly kiting and panicking.

Longbow is not the weapon of choice if you're getting swarmed. Pulling out melee weapons when swarmed is almost universally "you're gonna have a bad time" for Ranger.

By far the most obliterating AOE a Ranger can do is 3x traps + Axe + Torch. It's pretty insane. The torch "5" skill provides axe with an 8 second fire combo field. If you do the Axe "2" skill into it, you have 5x blazing axes of bleeding. Just take a sec and look at the damage of the Torch "4" skill. It gets overlooked a lot.

The main issue is that you have to trait into it and gear for it (condition dmg). If you're not into that playstyle, then you might not enjoy it. Longbow is going to be straight up about stacking power/precision.

In the long run, you can stack condition damage with axe/torch/shortbow + traps or go for burst power/precision damage with longbow. I personally prefer the condition damage route and I love the playstyle.

The low level warriors getting 100% crit is because the skill adds a static amount of precision which adds more crit at lower levels.

Honestly, in GW2 I thought playing an elementalist would be a good fit for me, but by the time I got 30 levels, I was getting bored/frustrated/etc. I changed to an engineer and have not looked back. The class just rocks. Its not for everyone, but what I wanted to point out, is that if you are not liking one class, try something else. I was surprised by the engineer for my typical MMO play style, but its a good fit. I definitely do not have problems with multiples or veterans, but I use several of the engineers tricks to pull out the wins. I have died more to falling with the engineer compared to when I played the ele, which died multiple times per gaming session to normal mobs for some reason. So if you get stuck with a certain class, try something else, you might be surprised like me...

Honestly, in GW2 I thought playing an elementalist would be a good fit for me, but by the time I got 30 levels, I was getting bored/frustrated/etc. I changed to an engineer and have not looked back. The class just rocks. Its not for everyone, but what I wanted to point out, is that if you are not liking one class, try something else. I was surprised by the engineer for my typical MMO play style, but its a good fit. I definitely do not have problems with multiples or veterans, but I use several of the engineers tricks to pull out the wins. I have died more to falling with the engineer compared to when I played the ele, which died multiple times per gaming session to normal mobs for some reason. So if you get stuck with a certain class, try something else, you might be surprised like me...

That's pretty funny because I started with engineer and I didn't feel like it suited my style so I switched to sentimentalist and now I'm having a blast! Try out different classes everyone, you can get a good feel for a class by level 20 - it's probably worth just testing them out. :D

The game isn't terribly well balanced for PVE damage across all levels. I have a ~20 Warrior, ~20 Ranger, and a ~45 Mesmer. The Warrior can do as much DPS as the Mesmer in some situations (when multiple mobs show up). Meanwhile the Ranger feels weak in almost all situations and jealous that Warriors get better Longbow skills.

I am just playing the Warrior for now. I was tired of getting repeatedly killed by respawns and multiple mobs pulls on the Mesmer.

So a lot of people are already complaining of the lack of "endgame" What are your guy's thought? I guess the complaints are about no "progression".

So a lot of people are already complaining of the lack of "endgame" What are your guy's thought? I guess the complaints are about no "progression".

pvp centric game.
then its about the fight.
its hard to not to say impossible to provide content and challenge since people just zerg trough.

I find pve good, and WwW immensly fun doing hit and cut supply points and killing those that are out there without support.
make the enemy to guess what to do instead of just zerg.
:)

I'm having a blast. I'm really glad I don't have the time to spend days straight playing like I did when I was younger. I get a few hours in on the weekends, and it's been awesome. Just hit level 12 and have tons of single player content to go, then unlimited PVP potential.

I think the big *issue* is people who get games and spend 2 straight days doing nothing but playing, then whining about not enough stuff to do. What do you expect, really?

I'm not really sure where I started, had no idea where tf I was till yesplz helped me out lol..

My chars name is: Smashfury The Evil (it's supposed to be tongue in cheek, lol)

damn game is sold out on greenmangaming. any spots with a discount? don't really want to spend $60 on this game even though I know its great. not my normal game type you understand.

When armor's not armor. I've heard people say this is a mob drop, a story-line reward, and craftable...

gw2mesmerarmor.jpg

I wonder how my Nord Mesmer will look in this.

When armor's not armor. I've heard people say this is a mob drop, a story-line reward, and craftable...

gw2mesmerarmor.jpg

I wonder how my Nord Mesmer will look in this.

Speaking of stuff like this, is there a resource with a gallery for armor sets and weapons so you can get an idea of what to farm for transmutation?

So once you're 80 is there actual sets to go after or are you just getting exotic pieces with the right prefix and then transmuting them to your liking? I hit 80 last night after taking half a week off and so I'm somewhat at a loss for what to do other than get the other 50% map completion.

So I've spent all this time trying classes and avoiding warrior cause i see them everywhere. Finally tried a warrior and my god are they awesome. Tried some pvp, bulls rush to knock down then 100 blades. Switch weapons and use the double axe whirlwind and to do some serious damage quick. I was destroying people last night, way better than my guardian lol.

Shadows are the cluprit for horrible FPS drops. Did lots of testing today, and it's the shadows. I can have everything maxed : 1920x1200 but main huge towns with lots of people in them I get drops to 40's often.. I bumped shadows down to Low (honestly, a blob shadow is fine in a game like this, hardly need realistic shadows when you have huge cats with handguns running around) and now it's constant 60 no matter what. Even with a bunch of shit and 30+ players on screen..

Do you get transmutation stones for level 80 by 100%'ing zones like you do for the level 1-79 ones?
Nope. I think I got some Fine Transmutation Stones the first zone I cleared as a level 80. After that, I've been getting random loot, sometimes normal transmutation stones, but never the Fine ones again.

I ran AC story last night for the first time with 2 of my buddies and 2 pubs. It wasn't nearly as hard as people are crying about? I was level 33 warrior, friends are 40 engineer, 50 guardian, and we ran with 2 other guardians in the 30s. Pretty much just took our time, and only pulled one or 2 at a time. The only thing that sucked was stupid rangers with all of their stupid interrupts. I've gotta say Im really glad I brought a bow with me. Made the final boss so much easier.

So, finally I'm about to hit level 40 :eek:

I'd like to ask, would it be worth it to blow all my karma points on a karma weapon?

So, finally I'm about to hit level 40 :eek:

I'd like to ask, would it be worth it to blow all my karma points on a karma weapon?

no..you'll outlevel it in a matter of hours..just buy greens off the broker every 10 levels and you'll be fine.that goes with armor too....at lvl 75, start lookin for deals for yellows on the broker for lvl 80 weapons...you can wait on lvl 80 yellow armor at lvl 80

in the high end zones, there are karma sellers for armor sets...save your karma for those if you are inteested..42k per piece..if you like those, you're gonna need alot of karma

bottom line, leveling is too fast to 'invest' in anything lower than lvl 80

no..you'll outlevel it in a matter of hours..just buy greens off the broker every 10 levels and you'll be fine.that goes with armor too....at lvl 75, start lookin for deals for yellows on the broker for lvl 80 weapons...you can wait on lvl 80 yellow armor at lvl 80

in the high end zones, there are karma sellers for armor sets...save your karma for those if you are inteested..42k per piece..if you like those, you're gonna need alot of karma

bottom line, leveling is too fast to 'invest' in anything lower than lvl 80
Agreed. I also recommend using Karma at the Heart vendors, especially if you really like a style of armor (use it for transmutation later at the least).

I finally transferred to Borlis Pass yesterday. Hopefully I can get in with the [H] at some point.

We were getting our asses handed to us earlier today in WvW, but I saw some really great coordinated defense, and we had some great battles that weren't just mindless zerging, so looking forward to more of that.

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Just bought the game last week and joined Borlis Pass after reading here. Having a lot of fun but would be interested in joining an active group. The so-called active guild I first joined is a bit of a graveyard. Who should I send a tell to in-game to find you guys?

Losing my urge to play this game because of the difficulty spikes in the story quests as well as the bullshit dynamic events. Couple of experiences:

Went back to Diessa Plateau to 100% it as I was only missing a few things. Along the way, I decided to get involved in the giant fight over by Nageling. After being one-shot by his stomp a few times and finally getting the dodge timing right, after a 10 minute battle with at least 15 of us plugging away at him, he finally went down...no reward other than the base low level DE reward. Waste of time and frustration.

Then I decided to do some story quests to catch up a little. On the first one I found myself ultimately faced with this scene, repeatedly:

aGC6y.jpg

I counted on the full-size version. That's 14 mobs. Oh, and they respawn. And they don't give experience or loot. Quest completed by graveyard zerging. Not fucking fun.

Then, I moved on to the next one, which I ultimately got fucking sick of and Alt+F4'd from. The game threw two abominations (veteran class mobs) at me after downleveling me and making them 3 levels higher. I managed to kill them, then went around ressing allies and figured I'd just mop up the rest, no big deal. Then three more fucking spawned. This was the aftermath of the piss-poor story quest tuning:

zWBJt.jpg

If these god damn story missions are supposed to be group quests, they need to fucking be labeled group quests.

I'm done with this shit for now, maybe when I've gotten sick of Borderlands 2 (which won't be any time soon if it's anything like the first game) they'll have taken the time to balance their obviously still beta game.

Back