• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Spending 2g leveling something and using the mats you found for free is still in the end spending 2g.
What? You are divorcing the gold value of an item from the item itself which makes no sense. An item has a gold value on the TP or vendor. If you consume it, you have just spent its value in gold that you would otherwise have acquired if you sold it.
 
I got just about half my levels from crafting on my way to 80.

Leveling is the easy part in this game. If you relied on crafting (half your level is 40 levels, that's 4x 400 level crafting professions btw) to get there, you'll be 80 with a lot less gold than you would have otherwise and a lot less of the map /story completed etc. Congrats, now you're 80. Now go back and do everything you didn't do anyway.
 
Any word on will they release more copies for sale since everyone is sold out?
https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/
I think they just opened the game up to sales again. Looks like it's at least available in the U.S.
Leveling is the easy part in this game. If you relied on crafting (half your level is 40 levels, that's 4x 400 level crafting professions btw) to get there, you'll be 80 with a lot less gold than you would have otherwise and a lot less of the map /story completed etc. Congrats, now you're 80. Now go back and do everything you didn't do anyway.
I'm not sure people do it purposely so much as it just happens. I know at each tier end (20, 35, 50, 65, 80) I could count on at least 2-3 levels from crafting all the armor and jewelry I would need for the coming level and would play accordingly. I probably got 15 levels from crafting, but it was totally unintentional.
 
4 weeks of playing and I am only level 21... I find it impossible to pass any kind of mat on the map and not harvest it. Of course I have ludicrous amounts of shit to use, but have yet to choose my profession. My biggest problem is I can't play for more than an hour or so before the motion gets to me. They really need to fix the field of view problem. I should be able to zoom out at least 2-3x as far as we currently can.

I hear you, I'm only level 26 and I've been playing since release, though not exactly every single day. Sometimes I skip 1-2 days, so I guess it's not a good comparison. I need to have every resource as welI, sometimes going WAY out of the way to get it. haven't been feeling very motion sick when playing, so I can't comment on that.
 
So are you'll making profits on the high end gear that you craft? The low level market is completely dead and I was wondering if the high end was also.

I have 2 level 40's sitting with about 10 gold between them. I barely buy stuff off the auction house, and I have crafted 4 professions over 200 between both of them. I find some crafting item that is selling decent on the auction house (between 1s-2s) that I don't use, and if I happen to pass a place that is dropping them, I will farm it for about 20 minutes...and I usually make around 40-50s probably for about 15mins of work. I also just salvage blues and most greens.
 
I'm not sure people do it purposely so much as it just happens. I know at each tier end (20, 35, 50, 65, 80) I could count on at least 2-3 levels from crafting all the armor and jewelry I would need for the coming level and would play accordingly. I probably got 15 levels from crafting, but it was totally unintentional.

Yes, they wanted it to be a source of leveling, but honestly it's completely artificial. My friend maxed cooking to go from 70 to 80 (the last "push"). But during these 10 levels, he didn't do any zone completion or personal story steps. So his level is 80, but now what? He's still going back to do the zones and stories anyway. I knew that 100% world completion was a goal of mine from the very start so I saw no value in artificially boosting my level through crafting.
 
Yes, they wanted it to be a source of leveling, but honestly it's completely artificial. My friend maxed cooking to go from 70 to 80 (the last "push"). But during these 10 levels, he didn't do any zone completion or personal story steps. So his level is 80, but now what? He's still going back to do the zones and stories anyway. I knew that 100% world completion was a goal of mine from the very start so I saw no value in artificially boosting my level through crafting.

I went 67 to 77 with Cooking and the idea was I was tired of zone completion for the moment and I wanted to simply continue my personal questline. As a Warrior I had no problem pushing my quest up to even 10-12 levels ahead of me as long as I had a good ranged weapon and some room to kite but eventually glancing for 10 damage each shot puts you at too much of a disadvantage. Now that I'm 80 I can do whatever I want, whenever and wherever I want so there's a lot more freedom.
 
So I keep checking every day but the Skill Challenges involving spectral weapons are still bugged and it's driving me crazy knowing 3 of those are the only things stopping me from completing both Cursed Shores and Straits of Devastation.

Is there any way to un-bug them or reset them or do I simply have to wait for ArenaNet to fix it?
 
I joined the Reddit Raiders guild on Isle of Janthir, they have about 135 members and are a growing influence on that server. Dis gun be gud.

Now if I could only find a class I like, I like Elementalist, out of all the ones I've tried so far. I like Thief, but he seems too fragile.
 
So I keep checking every day but the Skill Challenges involving spectral weapons are still bugged and it's driving me crazy knowing 3 of those are the only things stopping me from completing both Cursed Shores and Straits of Devastation.

Is there any way to un-bug them or reset them or do I simply have to wait for ArenaNet to fix it?

1. Find a class that can spam one of the magical wall abilities.
2. Spam said magical wall ability directly under the mob
3. ?????
4. Profit
 
So I keep checking every day but the Skill Challenges involving spectral weapons are still bugged and it's driving me crazy knowing 3 of those are the only things stopping me from completing both Cursed Shores and Straits of Devastation.

Is there any way to un-bug them or reset them or do I simply have to wait for ArenaNet to fix it?

1) There was a skill quest completely bugged in a zone. Mob would spawn underground. I submitted a ticket (as well as a tone of other people) and within about 2 hours it was fixed.

2) Some friends of mine didn't want to wait and server transferred to another server, the skill challenge was up and running fine, did it, then server transferred back. I believe server transfers are still free.... someone else confirm please....
 
I joined the Reddit Raiders guild on Isle of Janthir, they have about 135 members and are a growing influence on that server. Dis gun be gud.

Now if I could only find a class I like, I like Elementalist, out of all the ones I've tried so far. I like Thief, but he seems too fragile.

bah, shoulda joined the [H] guild :(

Thief may seem fragile, but they are imo one of the best damage holders in the game. Evade and Dodge are your friend. I can take multiple veteran mobs with dodge, smoke screen, blind shot, death blossom or snare kiting with shortbow.

You can build yourself a glass cannon or you can build a evade tank. Just depends on what you want.
 
bah, shoulda joined the [H] guild :(

I believe character transfers are still free at the moment... Or if you're bummed because you already joined a guild on their server, you can also join multiple guilds.
 
Leveling is the easy part in this game. If you relied on crafting (half your level is 40 levels, that's 4x 400 level crafting professions btw) to get there, you'll be 80 with a lot less gold than you would have otherwise and a lot less of the map /story completed etc. Congrats, now you're 80. Now go back and do everything you didn't do anyway.

I disagree but if you rely on crafting to get half of your levels I guess it can be. I don't want GW2 to be Skyrim in that regard, I don't want to craft iron daggers. Actually playing the game to gain levels is not quite so easy, takes a lot of time and grinding DE's.
 
Leveling is the easy part in this game. If you relied on crafting (half your level is 40 levels, that's 4x 400 level crafting professions btw) to get there, you'll be 80 with a lot less gold than you would have otherwise and a lot less of the map /story completed etc. Congrats, now you're 80. Now go back and do everything you didn't do anyway.

Already done, crafted all my exotic gear too! :)

And helped the wife get 100% map completetion to boot!

To each his own though. :p
 
Already done, crafted all my exotic gear too! :)

And helped the wife get 100% map completetion to boot!

To each his own though. :p
It really is. I am glad they added so many different possibilities for leveling. Choice is always a good thing.
 
Already done, crafted all my exotic gear too! :)

And helped the wife get 100% map completetion to boot!

To each his own though. :p

And I would definitely recommend against getting four 400 level crafting professions to hit 80 to any player that's currently below 40. So my point still stands.
 
Completely false if you take into account the opportunity cost of actually selling the mats vs. using it to craft.

What? You are divorcing the gold value of an item from the item itself which makes no sense. An item has a gold value on the TP or vendor. If you consume it, you have just spent its value in gold that you would otherwise have acquired if you sold it.

I understand your point, but what you should really be calculating here is gold/hour. Does it make more sense to sell mats at cutthroat prices on the TP -or vendor it- compared to crafting higher level items and selling those? Do the levels you gain while crafting faster than running missions or exploring translate into more profit by killing higher level mobs and dropping more expensive loot/mats in higher level areas, or performing higher level dungeons for better reward? Do you want to take into account the price of the various harvesting tools used to gather the materials?

Technically you are correct in that I did spend the materials, but they still have value once an item is made. Only some in-depth market research based on the cost of mats compared to the price of the items created will tell you which was more valuable. I can tell you I did make plenty of gold selling the things I made, enough to unlock 6 extra slots for bags and bank by trading gold for gems. If we all just sold our mats for a tiny profit, who would do the crafting?
 
If we all just sold our mats for a tiny profit, who would do the crafting?

The people who want legendaries.

The fact is right now, crafting is hyper saturated. Not everyone studies the benefits of crafting before embarking on leveling it. Most people are in the position of struggling to "keep up" their crafting with the blind hope that somehow they'll make bank with it at 80. Seriously, if you want a fast track to 80, then crafting is the fastest way. If you want legendaries, then crafting is required. If you want to make money? Stay far away from crafting.
 
The people who want legendaries.

The fact is right now, crafting is hyper saturated. Not everyone studies the benefits of crafting before embarking on leveling it. Most people are in the position of struggling to "keep up" their crafting with the blind hope that somehow they'll make bank with it at 80. Seriously, if you want a fast track to 80, then crafting is the fastest way. If you want legendaries, then crafting is required. If you want to make money? Stay far away from crafting.

Not arguing that point at all, I did it for the xp and for providing for my guild only, I was forced to sell some stuff because I simply ran out of space to store it (500+ chocolate chip cookies, etc). The TP is hilarious, people started submitting orders to sell 1 copper above vendor price, not taking into account the fee for listing on the TP in the first place, so they actually lose money compared to vendoring the items :p
 
Not arguing that point at all, I did it for the xp and for providing for my guild only, I was forced to sell some stuff because I simply ran out of space to store it (500+ chocolate chip cookies, etc). The TP is hilarious, people started submitting orders to sell 1 copper above vendor price, not taking into account the fee for listing on the TP in the first place, so they actually lose money compared to vendoring the items :p

I was buying some of that stuff for vendor price last night and using it to level my crafting. It felt like I was leveling my trade skill for free almost. Hope it stays that way for the next time I get bored of getting one shotted by mobs.
 
I was buying some of that stuff for vendor price last night and using it to level my crafting. It felt like I was leveling my trade skill for free almost. Hope it stays that way for the next time I get bored of getting one shotted by mobs.

I gained my first ~27 levels in Weaponsmithing just by buying green wood logs at the bid on TP and then reselling the wood planks at the ask. Actually made good coin on it that I continued after I stopped gaining experience. Although the increased price of wood since last Friday has made it less lucrative. Haven't felt like many items yet since that is normally a money loser.
 
Can anyone confirm that you get less XP for kills on higher level mobs (IE, 2-4 levels higher then yourself)? Sure seems like it.
 
I keep getting bored with this game. Granted I am only level 21, but it seems like they just feed you free stuff for everything you do. I normally PVP a lot, but it seems like this game's pvp massive globs of people killing more than anything.

Am I alone in this?
 
I keep getting bored with this game. Granted I am only level 21, but it seems like they just feed you free stuff for everything you do. I normally PVP a lot, but it seems like this game's pvp massive globs of people killing more than anything.

Am I alone in this?

You should try the arena style tournaments and 8 vs 8 matches. The WvW stuff is pure crap imo. I got bored of it in one session although I keep coming back as I feel as if I must be missing the point in it. Today 40 or more people chased me down and killed me after a 5 minute chase. Two of them start emoting over my dead body. I was thinking; they must be bored in here too.
 
Yes, they wanted it to be a source of leveling, but honestly it's completely artificial. My friend maxed cooking to go from 70 to 80 (the last "push"). But during these 10 levels, he didn't do any zone completion or personal story steps. So his level is 80, but now what? He's still going back to do the zones and stories anyway. I knew that 100% world completion was a goal of mine from the very start so I saw no value in artificially boosting my level through crafting.


Only reason I want to do cooking is to make the damn exp food myself :p:D

Anyone know the lowest level one that lasts at least 30m?
 
Anyone got any helpful advice for a newb? I'm playing a Human Elementalist and I'm level 6, and I've only been playing 2-3 hours a day.

Any advice on how to make the most efficient use of my time?
 
I keep getting bored with this game. Granted I am only level 21, but it seems like they just feed you free stuff for everything you do. I normally PVP a lot, but it seems like this game's pvp massive globs of people killing more than anything.

Am I alone in this?

No. I didn't even make it past 16. I sent an email to customer support last week explaining that I didn't find the game to be very enjoyable and asked for a refund thinking it was lost cause. They actually replied and refunded the purchase price. I almost feel bad for not letting them keep my money when they have such fantastic customer service.
 
Anyone got any helpful advice for a newb? I'm playing a Human Elementalist and I'm level 6, and I've only been playing 2-3 hours a day.

Any advice on how to make the most efficient use of my time?

Elementalist are very difficult to play...as you die pretty easy...I didn't play it, but my buddy co-op'd with me until lvl 40, and he had to re-roll a warrior, since he was getting pissed about being one shotted in the dungeons and such. Just a fyi...
 
Anyone got any helpful advice for a newb? I'm playing a Human Elementalist and I'm level 6, and I've only been playing 2-3 hours a day.

Any advice on how to make the most efficient use of my time?

Just do the heart quests and your story, you will level quickly. Jump on any events going on in the area. Harvest all nodes. Look at the hero page (H) and do your dailies. Doing map completes gives good rewards and XP too.

For the Elementalist I’d recommend using sceptre/dagger, sceptre/focus or dagger/dagger (assassin mage) for solo. Use the staff for group/party events.

I mothballed my Elementalist at level 40 for the time being. It’s a ton of fun soloing but if you get unexpected adds you go down fast. And in stories sometimes several mobs pop right on top of you and the Elementalist has a hard time dealing with spike damage

And as mentioned you go down quite easily in dungeons, so playing with pickup groups that don’t look after you can be a bad experience. Plus it’s hard to get down healing as everyone runs around like crazy in this game.
 
No. I didn't even make it past 16. I sent an email to customer support last week explaining that I didn't find the game to be very enjoyable and asked for a refund thinking it was lost cause. They actually replied and refunded the purchase price. I almost feel bad for not letting them keep my money when they have such fantastic customer service.

I hit the same wall around 16. I have been tempted to wipe and start over, but I just don't care enough.

I figure I might revisit in a month or so. I did the same thing with GW1 though. I hit level 10 and never touched it again.
 
The WvW stuff is pure crap imo. I got bored of it in one session although I keep coming back as I feel as if I must be missing the point in it. Today 40 or more people chased me down and killed me after a 5 minute chase. Two of them start emoting over my dead body. I was thinking; they must be bored in here too.

I bet they were having fun and you are just angry.
 
I bet they were having fun and you are just angry.

I wasn't mad at all. I was bored actually so I was kinda happy to have a reason to leave the match. WvW is more about who has the most Oceanic players on their server. When I logged out we owned most of every map. When I logged back in this morning my server had a force of about 10 and owned absolutely nothing.

So I guess you could say I should have stayed and fought hand and tooth with the other guys and fight them 1 vs 40. Or I could let them hunt 9 people and do something else. :)
 
I hit the same wall around 16. I have been tempted to wipe and start over, but I just don't care enough.

I figure I might revisit in a month or so. I did the same thing with GW1 though. I hit level 10 and never touched it again.

it seems like a substantial amount of people feel likewise - the streams at twitch sank. i'm trying hard to get into it myself.
 
I hit the same wall around 16. I have been tempted to wipe and start over, but I just don't care enough.

I figure I might revisit in a month or so. I did the same thing with GW1 though. I hit level 10 and never touched it again.

Its probably not your taste in games then. I played the original GW for almost 7 years, the first 5 years were great, wanted to play every day, it started losing some steam for me the last 2 years but that's to be expected for a 7 year old game.

I've tried my best to understand why so many people like WoW or Borderlands, but I never could get it. I tried multiple times to play them and both games were just awful to me. That clearly doesn't make them awful, just not my taste apparently.
 
it seems like a substantial amount of people feel likewise - the streams at twitch sank. i'm trying hard to get into it myself.

No, it doesn't seem like a substantial amount of people seem to feel likewise. In fact, I'm quite certain 90% of GW2 owners are loving it. Just because you may fall into the minority doesn't mean that you should make up BS statements to justify why you don't like something. If you don't like a game, move on to something you do like, don't imply everyone else is nuts for liking it and that you're in the "normal" crowd.
 
Elementalist are very difficult to play...as you die pretty easy...I didn't play it, but my buddy co-op'd with me until lvl 40, and he had to re-roll a warrior, since he was getting pissed about being one shotted in the dungeons and such. Just a fyi...

My brother is a level 62 Elementalist and playing dungeons just fine. Its one of the most challenging classes to play due to the switching of all 4 elements instead of weapons, but certainly not impossible by any means. Its a valid argument that the Ele should do more damage considering he has the lowest armor and health.

Warrior is bar none, the easiest class to play, in fact, I recommend it for anyone new to the game just to get the feel of it, but the flipside is that new players will be spoiled by the easier playstyle and gripe about the other classes when they actually try them due to higher difficulty.
 
Back
Top