The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with fortifying an area with automated turrets, walls, etc and going afk for a while.

In Asheron's Call 2 you could plan a perfect tactician setup and do exactly that. That isn't botting. It's smart.

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with fortifying an area with automated turrets, walls, etc and going afk for a while.

In Asheron's Call 2 you could plan a perfect tactician setup and do exactly that. That isn't botting. It's smart.

Exactly this. I did this in AC 2 all the time for over a year. It is the only reason I bought GW2.

Is the PVE story - character quests and story as well done as story in TOR? And are there any endgame raids or dungeons, or once you hit max level you have to do PVP?

Also, how is the RP fluff, chat bubbles, emotes, and other stuff like in Lotro?

In short, I'm a pure PvE player, and I'm kinda scared away from this game being advertised as pure PVP experience. And after free for all PVP in AoC, that's not the thing I want to do again in some long time - things like getting killed, when turning quests in, ganksquads in newbie areas, griefers, that's the part that takes me away from pure PVP MMOs
The story quests are fairly few, one every few levels, and tend to be brief. Voice over and cinematic are poorly done compared to swtor. They sound amateurish basically.
The game has little to do but pvp at end, and has little in the way of traditional dungeons. If you aren't into pvp I can't really think of anything that would be terribly attractive in this game for you. There is no endgame gear progression even for you to farm.

I think if Arenanet gave the benefit of the doubt first and logged them out and questioned them when they came back online then it wouldn't be as vile as banning a guy without at least trying to get his side of the story. Especially if you're banning him for leaving an object in an area.

:)

This would be ideal, especially since they are just giving 72 hour bans, but they do have software detection in place to check for hacks / bots so it isn't like they are just relying on the whispering/tell method to ban people.

Ha ha I'm not trolling them Climber. That's honestly my opinion. I do like to express it as long as I don't repress the opinion of others. I love hearing what the other person has to say also.

To have an opinion and not at least try to comprehend the other person's opinion regardless of whether or not you agree with them is a sign of stupidity.

And I'm not calling you stupid. :)

I think you are forgetting every single MMO has done this. Back in DAoC I was given a lifetime subscription because I found a way through the realm wall into the other realms. Was really easy to exploit PvP that way. I reported it, was contacted by a GM showed them how to do it and that was that. I was thanked and a week later got an email stating hey thanks for not exploiting that or letting others know and as thanks here is a lifetime subscription and priority access to any and all betas they conducted.

No one was banned for doing what Kripp was doing, Kripp was banned specifically for advertising the exploit which he knew was an exploit and the one thing you're not mentioning is the fact that over 1000g was farmed doing this, not just 8 gold. Talk to him in game because he was actively bragging about it.

Last edited:
Does this behavior really affect you or others? I don't see what the problem is unless the person is wiping the entire mob population out so that other users can't do their thing. Reporting people for botting in this game is akin to running to tell the kindergarten teacher that Tommy was chewing with his mouth open. Pointless tattle tailing.

I agree with Cagey on the ban issues.

If it is the area I think it is, yes it affects others. So many were doing this that people not doing it were not getting hits on the mob thus no credit. Both in the regular and overflow servers...

Also agree Anet is being heavy handed right now.

The story quests are fairly few, one every few levels, and tend to be brief. Voice over and cinematic are poorly done compared to swtor. They sound amateurish basically.

I actually think they did a fairly good job with the story quests so far. I am level 35 and while they aren't the longest quests they are at least a nice change of pace from the events.

The game has little to do but pvp at end, and has little in the way of traditional dungeons. If you aren't into pvp I can't really think of anything that would be terribly attractive in this game for you.

False. I am mainly a PvE player. While I like some PvP I am not attracted to it for everything. I am finding more then enough to do with just PvE. Also there are 5 dungeons at launch with I believe 3 different modes(maybe 4). Each dungeon also has it's own set of gear that can only be obtained by doing it multiple times.

EDIT: Also, just thought I would throw in that TSW has 8 dungeons at launch with 3 modes each. The difference is that the 3 modes are the same content just harder (like Diablo 3). In GW2 the different modes for dungeons actually go to different parts of the map and you fight different bosses. Making them more diverse.

There is no endgame gear progression even for you to farm.

False. There are a lot of different tiered items at level 80 that can only be gotten by farming a lot of expensive mats from many different parts of the game. Also contrary to what people have said, there are different types of items that are better then others at level 80. (Exotic (orange) is better then masterwork (green) and so on).

Last edited:

Guess what? ArenaNet disagrees. Get over it.

Disagree, but oh well.

The game has little to do but pvp at end, and has little in the way of traditional dungeons. If you aren't into pvp I can't really think of anything that would be terribly attractive in this game for you. There is no endgame gear progression even for you to farm.

It is Guild Wars 2, not EQ or WoW clone 5,981. It is almost identical to GW1 in regards to PvP emphasis; however, they also did add endgame gear progression through extended meta events, special crafting tiers, and the additional emphasis on World PvP.

There is the same amount of end game material in GW 2 as there is in TSW. Just they have different ways of presenting it. GW2 is not your traditional MMO nor is it TSW. Both games have something to offer and both games do what they do very well though neither are at the stage of polish or perfection that a more mature MMO such as WoW, EQ2, or Rift are at.

Does this behavior really affect you or others? I don't see what the problem is unless the person is wiping the entire mob population out so that other users can't do their thing. Reporting people for botting in this game is akin to running to tell the kindergarten teacher that Tommy was chewing with his mouth open. Pointless tattle tailing.

yes botting effects every single person in an MMO negatively. Your ignorance doesn't make your viewpoint correct just misguided.

My complaint is the pvp/combat is a bit of a button masher. The spell effects are way over the top and fights between a few people turn into a mess of particle effects and explosions. And that is in spvp, WvWvW is just a nightmare.

My complaint is the pvp/combat is a bit of a button masher. The spell effects are way over the top and fights between a few people turn into a mess of particle effects and explosions. And that is in spvp, WvWvW is just a nightmare.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous in PvE as well.

yes botting effects every single person in an MMO negatively. Your ignorance doesn't make your viewpoint correct just misguided.

It doesn't effect me negatively in any way since I don't have to compare my epeen with others. It's hilarious that many of the people that condemn the action are the same people that say GW2 is great because it's so casual. What's more casual than dropping a turret and letting it kill mobs for you? If someone is botting Anet should do like something like Cagey said; log them out and then whisper them when they log back in. It's the same with people's "offensive" names. Set a flag to require a name change and log them out. This banning business leaves a bad taste with me.

Do you call the highway patrol when you see people driving 5mph over the speed limit? A speeder can have a far greater effect on you and the world than someone dropping turrets and you probably don't report them.

Last edited:
It doesn't effect me negatively in any way. It's hilarious that many of the people that condemn the action are the same people that say it's GW2 is great because it's so casual. What's more casual than dropping a turret and letting it kill mobs for you? Do you call the highway patrol when you see people driving 5mph over the speed limit?

If your playstyle makes you look like you're botting, and you're not around to defend yourself, don't be surprised if the game devs treat you as if you're botting. Is it really this difficult of a concept?

It doesn't effect me negatively in any way. It's hilarious that many of the people that condemn the action are the same people that say it's GW2 is great because it's so casual. What's more casual than dropping a turret and letting it kill mobs for you? Do you call the highway patrol when you see people driving 5mph over the speed limit?

Spot on. Area denial and area control are great mechanics that every MMO should incorporate. It shouldn't be easy to do, and failure should be penalized heavily, but a skilled tactician-type class should be able to plan out a fortification strategy that requires zero user input.

It doesn't effect me negatively in any way since I don't have to compare my epeen with others. It's hilarious that many of the people that condemn the action are the same people that say GW2 is great because it's so casual. What's more casual than dropping a turret and letting it kill mobs for you?

When someone corners the marker or drives prices way up because he exploited 1000x times more gold than you then yes it affects everyone. Since your analogy was so horrible lets put in in a real world perspective that might make sense to you. Investors and speculators use "bots' to corner the financial market in certain areas which is one reason the price of gas is so high. So because they can control the cost of each barrel of gas, we suffer higher prices for it so they can reap more profits. This is what botting does to in game economies.

Do you call the highway patrol when you see people driving 5mph over the speed limit? A speeder has a far greater effect on you and the world than someone dropping turrets and you probably don't report them.

I do if they are driving hazardly or drinking. Your analogy is flawed.

Spot on. Area denial and area control are great mechanics that every MMO should incorporate. It shouldn't be easy to do, and failure should be penalized heavily, but a skilled tactician-type class should be able to plan out a fortification strategy that requires zero user input.

There is a difference between this and botting.

That is exactly my point. My argument is not in favor of botting. I just don't agree with engineers being banned for planning a good turret layout and going afk for a while.

I wasn't banned for it. I went upstairs got a snack, used the bathroom, and came back. Using the water bird to level while you are afk is an exploit and considered botting, not strategy.

It doesn't effect me negatively in any way since I don't have to compare my epeen with others. It's hilarious that many of the people that condemn the action are the same people that say GW2 is great because it's so casual. What's more casual than dropping a turret and letting it kill mobs for you? If someone is botting Anet should do like something like Cagey said; log them out and then whisper them when they log back in. It's the same with people's "offensive" names. Set a flag to require a name change and log them out. This banning business leaves a bad taste with me.

Do you call the highway patrol when you see people driving 5mph over the speed limit? A speeder can have a far greater effect on you and the world than someone dropping turrets and you probably don't report them.

It's OK because it's GW2. So is zerging being the primary game mechanic in pve and pvp, with no room for individual skill to be needed. Skill and gameplay is SOOOOO 1992. Finally, it's OK because it's GW2.

It's OK because it's GW2. So is zerging being the primary game mechanic in pve and pvp, with no room for individual skill to be needed. Skill and gameplay is SOOOOO 1992. Finally, it's OK because it's GW2.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, stop. Just stop. What happened to being adults? That must be 1992 as well.

I wasn't banned for it. I went upstairs got a snack, used the bathroom, and came back. Using the water bird to level while you are afk is an exploit and considered botting, not strategy.

I'm not talking about you, shocking as that may seem.

Building a fortress strategically, picking the correct spot, and afking for an hour is a perfectly legitimate playstyle. If you suck, your fortress won't hold up.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, stop. Just stop. What happened to being adults? That must be 1992 as well.

That's all these people have been doing here and in other GW2 threads. Why call me out for it after 20 others have done it to a much greater extent?

That's all these people have been doing here and in other GW2 threads. Why call me out for it after 20 others have done it to a much greater extent?

But why do you also have to keep antagonizing as well? I don't understand.

leveling is way too fast in this game...there's absolutely no reason to buy any karma weapons/armor..just save it all for lvl 80

thats the main problem with this fast leveling...you truly have no time to 'enjoy' the new weapon...i used a lvl 14 pistol until i got to lvl 31..then thru random drops, i got a lvl 31..i suspect this will be fine until i hit 45...

as dejon sanders says, 'that just ain't right'

When someone corners the marker or drives prices way up because he exploited 1000x times more gold than you then yes it affects everyone. Since your analogy was so horrible lets put in in a real world perspective that might make sense to you. Investors and speculators use "bots' to corner the financial market in certain areas which is one reason the price of gas is so high. So because they can control the cost of each barrel of gas, we suffer higher prices for it so they can reap more profits. This is what botting does to in game economies.

People are going to have 1000x more gold than me anyway. My analogy is only bad because it doesn't jive with your opinion. Your analogy fails because I don't have to purchase items in GW2 to survive. Like I said, if someone is locking the entire area down then warn them/ban them. If they're in an area that no one ever goes to anyway then it's the other players' faults for not going there to do their farming.

The chinese farmers can do this without bots already. Are you going to cry to ArenaNet because you can't sit at your computer and hit 3 buttons over and over like they can for 20 hours a day?

I do if they are driving hazardly or drinking. Your analogy is flawed.

Not really. Someone driving 5mph over the limit has a higher chance of negatively affecting your life than someone botting in a 'casual' mmo.

...and welcome to the ignore list.

*scratches head* You're going to ignore someone for explaining a game mechanic of Dungeon Defenders?

Hell, TrendyNet promotes going AFK with in-game awards such as "Chillax" for moving the least amount of distance and "Master Strategist" for only using defenses to harm enemies.

*scratches head* You're going to ignore someone for explaining a game mechanic of Dungeon Defenders?

Hell, TrendyNet promotes going AFK with in-game awards such as "Chillax" for moving the least amount of distance and "Master Strategist" for only using defenses to harm enemies.

That's about all these people are doing... they yell over anything they don't like and ignore it outright.

Sure. That's true.

The thing is, most people are getting suspensions for using third-party programs to plant these fortifications or spam auto-attack on these "hot-spot areas" to level up while they go do something else for a couple hours. If you are actively there, planting down turrets, running around shooting stuff, gathering nearby herbs while your turret shoots the mobs, I doubt you would get into any trouble.

Tell me this, how do you plan a half hour - 1 hour long "fortification strategy" without using any macros/programs that are not in the core mechanics of this game that has zero user input? In effect, you don't. Your turrets die out over time and you have to replant them down. If you automate it, you're using a outside the game mechanic that has an obvious advantage over every other typical player out there.

How is that so hard to comprehend?

It's the same thing with Kripp. He didn't get suspended for unsuspectingly selling his crafted goods to a vendor. He recognized an in-game advantage that was an anomaly, and used it for personal gain. Not only that, he took it a step further and broadcasted it to thousands of people via stream. He's not even surprised and laughed when he got suspended http://i.imgur.com/FiXaJ.jpg

You really don't see the ridiculousness of his argument? How over the last several pages he's completely ignored facts that contradict his positions and simply countered with idiotic claims, complete straw men, and non-sequiturs, and you wonder why I finally get tired of it and add him to ignore? This isn't Dungeon Defenders. It's not a damn tower defense game. What is with some of you going full retard right now?

You really don't see the ridiculousness of his argument? How over the last several pages he's completely ignored facts that contradict his positions and simply countered with idiotic claims, complete straw men, and non-sequiturs, and you wonder why I finally get tired of it and add him to ignore? This isn't Dungeon Defenders. It's not a damn tower defense game. What is with some of you going full retard right now?

So, do you actually have a counter-argument for him, or are you going to just stomp? I don't care about your frustration, I'm curious as to why you think he's wrong....

When I'm grinding mobs with a strong pet such as my Warlock in WoW I have a tendency to let them do most of the work and go make a sandwich real fast. Engineer turrets are their versions of pets. All the GM had to do was log the guy out and ask him when he logged back in if he was really playing. Even if he was botting and lied, at least give your customer the benefit of the doubt. Now if it happens a second time banhammer as you're warned him.

I3 day bans send a strong message to those that are cheating, but infuriate the ones that aren't cheating. What I suggested wouldn't cost Arenanet a dime and would generate good will instead of negative headlines.
Anet is going to be just fine. There will always be someone that complains no matter what you do.
Cheaters tend to cry foul the most often though.

I agree with Cagey on the ban issues.
Then dont play. Anet will be just fine without you.

What? In PvP yea sure. In PvE theres no place for that.

So, do you actually have a counter-argument for him, or are you going to just stomp? I don't care about your frustration, I'm curious as to why you think he's wrong....

Your inability to read posts I've already written is not my problem.

j
Follow the rules and they wont do anything to you. Really is that simple. Claiming innocent victim is the problem with everything in society these days. Most people arent man enough to just be responsible for their own actions.

Back