The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I wish they'd at least do open beta for preorders... they clearly have a solid enough game, now they have my money... I'd like to see something for it.

This is really weird honestly ?
Arenanet has told everybody that they can not disclose in any way shape or form when they are planning to release it (they proven this by releasing all sorts of jokes about it). Why would someone that has _nothing_ to do with Arenanet then say something which they shouldn't have said nor confirmed in the first place, their place holder date prolly pissed of Arenanet to start with ...

Covering the Q1 conference call released today, Gamespot has CFO Robert Lloyd stating that Guild Wars 2 has been bumped out of the current quarter, putting its release sometime after July.

This is really weird honestly ?
Arenanet has told everybody that they can not disclose in any way shape or form when they are planning to release it (they proven this by releasing all sorts of jokes about it). Why would someone that has _nothing_ to do with Arenanet then say something which they shouldn't have said nor confirmed in the first place, their place holder date prolly pissed of Arenanet to start with ...

GameStop planned to make lots of money selling Guild Wars 2. When a company plans to make a bunch of money sometime in the future, they include that in their future earnings estimates reports to their shareholders.

ArenaNet would not tell them when the game would be released, so GameStop made up a release date and planned on the game being released then, and planned on the money being made in that quarter. Gamestop guessed wrong about what quarter the game actually got released, so now they have to notify their shareholders that they are not going to make a bunch of money selling GW2 in this quarter. This is purely GameStop's fault; they have no one else to blame for getting shot in the foot but themselves.

This is not new behavior from GameStop; they've been doing it for decades. Never, ever trust a GameStop release date because they're making shit up all the time. Never, ever buy pre-orders from GameStop.

ArenaNet would not tell them when the game would be released

Of course they would. Game publishers discuss release dates in private with their retail partners all the time. Arenanet and NCsoft may not have publicly set a release date but they have a timeframe that they've been shooting for and that they've certainly shared it with their major retail partners, especially as the game gets closer to that estimated launch date. There's a lot of planning that has to be coordinated in advance such as publicity, marketing, advertising, promotional costs, distribution, etc. It's probably something that they didn't want Gamestop to talk about publicly but there's only so much control they have over them. Beside, NCsoft may not care that much because Gamestop really didn't say all that much. NCsoft is already on record saying the game will ship in 2012 so Gamestop's comments took June and July off the table and pushed it to August or later (because Gamestop's current quarter ends in July). That's hardly a major revelation.

There's a difference between a release date that's put on a flyer by a store employee or even a date in a retailer's sales system that's likely just a placeholder created by a random person in sales versus Gamestop's chief financial officer saying something on an earnings call that's covered by securities laws that require him not to disclose misleading or false info to the public.

Last edited:
It has been narrowed down to q3/q4 2012.

I am not impressed either... I would gladly take the game as is now with the flaws and let them polish it while I play. lol :p

many people say this, but you truly don't want what you're asking. MMO's suck....period. they're bad games, among the very worst you can ever buy. the two reasons are the stagnation in design(due to looooong development cycles and not enough lessons learned quick enough for the most part....why do you think 2011/201 sees releases on par with 2004?) and the state of the game on release, which would be completely unacceptile to any other genre.

let them finish it, as in the shit works for the most part on day 1. let it be a launch on par with Rift(crap game, but the most polished release mmo by far in AGES), EQ(lag was bad, all else was good) and Asheron's Call. you and everyone else will love it even more. just because the picture is still pretty after the NDA was dropped doesn't mean they aren't under pressure and can half step. let them build the house on solid rock please.

Any game you don't like sucks. Some people hate rts , some hate military fps, some hate sims, some hate sports games, some hate console games.. and some hate mmos. Some people hate AD&D pencil and dice, and some hate MTG card games. Other people love any number of the above. Some of the most popular and fun pc games have simpler graphics and engines in the last few years (L4D, L4D2, TF2, Portal, Minecraft, Limbo, Bastion, Trine2, etc.. and of course the still millions of subs to WoW). If you don't like them don't play them. That said, there seems to be a sub genre of GW2 and Tera that are trying to put a 3rd person action~arcade action type angle into mmo-rpg's. Some people will love it, others will find it neat for awhile and play casually (no monthly fee in GW2, but there is in Tera), others will tire of it, others won't like it much. Traditionally RPG's are more like a single character unit RTS with AD&D "engine" backbone to me, with real time action but based heavily on the unit stats. This new genre is going in another direction. It seems fun but is a different genre really , even if they look very similar. Anyway I disagree that mmo's suck. I think people burn out on them though, and I think other games try to feed fps style players by throwing pvp into a game that doesn't really suit it, and to me it always seems bastardized. GW2 seems to be build around pvp more as a basis so might not seem like such a square peg in a round hole regarding pvp. However the pve, especially long term/endgame might end up being the wrong shaped peg in this game. Time will tell.

Many of you have been asking about when we will have our second Beta Weekend Event. As we are approaching a long weekend in many parts of the world, we understand that some of you want to make plans for that. To help you with that we can confirm that we will NOT be running BWE2 this coming weekend.

Our BWE1 was super successful, we exceeded our expectations. As some of you might have experienced first hand, this lead to some technical issues. To make sure we are not running into the same situation for BWE2, we recently had a stress test, and we are currently deploying a lot of additional hardware in our datacenters.

We will be able to tell you exactly when BWE2 will take place as soon as all the hardware has been deployed. We are not withholding a date intentionally, we want to make sure that BWE2 will be a really great experience for all of you.

I hope this helps a bit in understanding where we are standing – you all have a really relaxing long weekend! ~MK

https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/10150882710644209

@ elvn: i do like MMO's. i have been playing them since 1999, and i do check out every release(beta or lots of video watching). i also realize that MMO's are very bad games and very stagnant in comparison to other genres. i don't say that because i don't like them, i say that because it's true. yes, even shooters are more innovative than MMO's.

i only read your first sentence, and i assume the rest of your post is built off of that false assumption.

Of course they would. Game publishers discuss release dates in private with their retail partners all the time. Arenanet and NCsoft may not have publicly set a release date but they have a timeframe that they've been shooting for and that they've certainly shared it with their major retail partners, especially as the game gets closer to that estimated launch date. There's a lot of planning that has to be coordinated in advance such as publicity, marketing, advertising, promotional costs, distribution, etc. It's probably something that they didn't want Gamestop to talk about publicly but there's only so much control they have over them. Beside, NCsoft may not care that much because Gamestop really didn't say all that much. NCsoft is already on record saying the game will ship in 2012 so Gamestop's comments took June and July off the table and pushed it to August or later (because Gamestop's current quarter ends in July). That's hardly a major revelation.

There's a difference between a release date that's put on a flyer by a store employee or even a date in a retailer's sales system that's likely just a placeholder created by a random person in sales versus Gamestop's chief financial officer saying something on an earnings call that's covered by securities laws that require him not to disclose misleading or false info to the public.

I would say the fact that gamestop is notorious for making up their own damn release dates and that they have done exactly this many many times is enough for me to to come to the conclusion that its bullshit.

There are no securities laws stopping them from doing this either thats a bunch of nonsense.

I would say the fact that gamestop is notorious for making up their own damn release dates and that they have done exactly this many many times is enough for me to to come to the conclusion that its bullshit.

There are no securities laws stopping them from doing this either thats a bunch of nonsense.

The difference is the public statements of a corporate officer about the revenue impact of an upcoming AAA game on Gamestop's quarterly forecasts, which most certainly is covered by securities laws, and meaningless placeholder dates that are put into an internal sales computer system that isn't intended for public consumption, which aren't.

But hey I'm just a securities lawyer in my day job, what do I know. It's no skin off my back whether you believe me or not but it is an accurate description of an corporate officer's legal duty not to make false or misleading public utterances. Circumstances may change so that those public statements don't prove to be correct and they won't be liable for that - securities law doesn't require corporate officers to be able to see the future - but at the time they were made, those public statements should be accurate.

Last edited:
The difference is the public statements of a corporate officer about the revenue impact of an upcoming AAA game on Gamestop's quarterly forecasts, which most certainly is covered by securities laws, and meaningless placeholder dates that are put into an internal sales computer system that isn't intended for public consumption, which aren't.

But hey I'm just a securities lawyer in my day job, what do I know. It's no skin off my back whether you believe me or not but it is an accurate description of an corporate officer's legal duty not to make false or misleading public utterances. Circumstances may change so that those public statements don't prove to be correct and they won't be liable for that - securities law doesn't require corporate officers to be able to see the future - but at the time they were made, those public statements should be accurate.

And im the queen of England. Seen enough of these corporate officers pulling shit like this that it really makes me doubt your job title. If you where a securities lawyer you would know better...

And im the queen of England

Like I said, I don't really care what you do or don't believe but chill out. I don't know why you're so hostile towards others on these forums. No one here has anything to do with the release date of the game, what Gamestop's CFO said or corporate malfeasance in general. He said it, I believe it for the reason I gave, you don't for your reasons. End of story.

I rather have Arenanet take their sweet time releasing the game.

Im tired of paying to play a beta

Anyone that thought GW2 had a chance at being released before July at the *earliest* was kidding themselves.

I was optimistically hoping for a July release myself, but I'll take August. :p September/October would suck, but might be a better time of the year.

The game definitely needs to be finished before it's released.

I hope ANet doesn't pull a Funcom and release another Age of Conan.

I hope ANet doesn't pull a Funcom and release another Age of Conan.

much too late for this to be possible. high level content was shown years ago now. it gets better as you go along, not worse.

http://imgur.com/a/WsXLp#0

Anet is clearly sanctioning leaks to keep the fans at bay. this one isn't even watermarked, so i am inclined to believe the last "leaker" was a Anet employee, and after receiving emails last time he removed the watermark from this latest set.

I work every Friday and Saturday so beta weekends kinda suck for me. Bring on beta weekdays!

little secret, if you've ever gotten a key from PAX or Gamestop(regular pre-order) your beta account is still active.

damn it...now im gonna have to shift priorities on my paycheck friday to pre order this summbitch. dont want to miss another beta weekend

With the latest beta event set for mid-June, that effectively rules out June as a month when the game will ship. That still leaves July as a possibility although it would be very tight and I think the game would have to be in near-final state for the upcoming beta to be able to start pressing and distributing the game worldwide to make a July launch (yes, they still make game discs and some of us still prefer to buy a physical copy). August or later is becoming more and more the realistic launch window. Gosh, maybe that dude who's the chief financial officer at Gamestop who said the game wouldn't ship till August or later is on to something...

Ddarko, I didn't think anyone thought it was coming before August at this point due to the gamestop comments during a federally regulated reporting meeting.

With the latest beta event set for mid-June, that effectively rules out June as a month when the game will ship.

Oh, definitely. I asked them on twitter a couple months ago and they said they'd have at least a month between announcement of release date and the actual release date.

Ddarko, I didn't think anyone thought it was coming before August at this point due to the gamestop comments during a federally regulated reporting meeting.

Except for that one forum member who was absolutely positively sure that I had no idea what I was talking about when I made the same observation. Just having a little fun at his expense :)

Back