The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Well I hope with the lack of progression they substitute variety. in WoW, each class had one set of gear. If there's no progression, hopefully i can spend my time trying out different builds with different stats on different gear.

Brings up a question though--what are people playing towards at 80?

You can adjust the stats and runes or whatever is on your gear. Gear still matters in WvW and shit so that's why you play to 80. Also you get trait points and skill points as you level which will add a little more variety to it.

I'm starting to have doubts that this game's pvp will draw me in though. Don't get me wrong, i'm sure it'll be fun and i DEFINITELY hand it to Arenanet for trying to balance PVP. However, if there's nothing to work towards, I reckon i'll lose interest. I'm not much of an "achievement" player, myself.

Hopefully the PVP is fun enough to warrant playing it on its on merits, like Q3.

I thought the same way too. I'm so used to playing WoW and having that constant gear grind that anything without it seems wrong. Until I stopped and just thought about what I was doing. Why is it so fun to have to constantly keep playing to stay relevant? If I stop for a month everyone else in the game has way better gear then me, which makes it very hard to play PvP when you are being killed in 2 shots. So then you have to just play crappy game after crappy game until you have gear and can actually compete and now everyone has the same level gear so it's essentially what GW2 is now. So why not just take out that crappy time of getting the good gear and just give it to you to start?

Also, WoW had a gear grind because it had a monthly subscription fee. Everyone 2-3 months the gear will update to a new tier which would make you keep playing to constantly get new things. GW2 doesn't have a fee, so it doesn't need a gear grind. They don't care if you don't play for 2 months and then come back. They want to make it rewarding for the people who play constantly(giving special gear to show off and titles and whatnot) while also making it inviting for people who have to stop for a month or two(by keeping everyone on the same level gear wise). Honestly...I like it.

I thought the same way too. I'm so used to playing WoW and having that constant gear grind that anything without it seems wrong. Until I stopped and just thought about what I was doing. Why is it so fun to have to constantly keep playing to stay relevant? If I stop for a month everyone else in the game has way better gear then me, which makes it very hard to play PvP when you are being killed in 2 shots. So then you have to just play crappy game after crappy game until you have gear and can actually compete and now everyone has the same level gear so it's essentially what GW2 is now. So why not just take out that crappy time of getting the good gear and just give it to you to start?

Also, WoW had a gear grind because it had a monthly subscription fee. Everyone 2-3 months the gear will update to a new tier which would make you keep playing to constantly get new things. GW2 doesn't have a fee, so it doesn't need a gear grind. They don't care if you don't play for 2 months and then come back. They want to make it rewarding for the people who play constantly(giving special gear to show off and titles and whatnot) while also making it inviting for people who have to stop for a month or two(by keeping everyone on the same level gear wise). Honestly...I like it.

Well said. I still don't think a lot of people understand that. GW2 is more along the lines of TF2 or BF3 in that respect. People will continue to play because it is fun to play. You get the added bonus of new content every once in a while, as well as cosmetic unlocks/micro transactions. Think of it as TF2 hats on steroids.

Indeed, good thoughts. So it all hinges on the fun-ness of their PVP. I hope it's solid!!

Hopefully it requires precision, and has many many ways you can approach a fight.

Any word on the next beta round? :)

The general consensus I've heard is toward the end of April. there's speculation it will be the weekend of April 20, and it should be open to anyone who pre-purchases when that becomes available on April 10.

The general consensus I've heard is toward the end of April. there's speculation it will be the weekend of April 20, and it should be open to anyone who pre-purchases when that becomes available on April 10.

Boo! I thought there might be one before the Pre-Purchase program. Oh well

And if you read the FAQs, they said the first Beta Weekend Event would be in late April. Seems they are ahead of schedule.
The test that just happened was not a Beta Weekend Event. That name specifically refers to the events that you can get access to by pre-purchasing and that they expect to have once per month starting in April. There will still be their ongoing beta and more events related to the 48 hour signup to which pre-purchasing does not grant access.

The test that just happened was not a Beta Weekend Event. That name specifically refers to the events that you can get access to by pre-purchasing and that they expect to have once per month starting in April. There will still be their ongoing beta and more events related to the 48 hour signup to which pre-purchasing does not grant access.

So there's a beta that the pre-purchasing people are not getting access to, but will be available for the randomly selected beta participants who have not pre-purchased after the beta weekends start?

That's not going to sit well. I assumed that pre-purchasers would get access to "the beta" not some neutered version of the beta, or exclusion from other beta activities. If they give more access to the beta to the people who have not purchased, I expect a lot of QQing.

I don't think this is true. They have consistently said that there was no "open" beta, but they have always called the event that happend last week and any further event as a beta weekend event. They have also said multiple times that pre-purchase will get you in to ALL beta events.

Here are some quotes from their twitter account

We will have more (and bigger) Beta Weekend Events sometime after pre-purchase starts on April 10th. http://ow.ly/9SYmm ~RB2

If you pre-purchase on or after April 10th, yes, you're guaranteed access to *all* Beta Weekend Events. ~RB2

We're expecting around one per month. Check our FAQ for more answers -- hope that helps! http://ow.ly/9VI5W ~RB2

I don't think this is true. They have consistently said that there was no "open" beta, but they have always called the event that happend last week and any further event as a beta weekend event. They have also said multiple times that pre-purchase will get you in to ALL beta events.

Here are some quotes from their twitter account
It looks like I was mistaken about how they had phrased certain things and simply hadn't seen certain tweets. Thanks for correcting me on that. However, I was still right that they aren't "ahead of schedule" for the events - we knew there would be a beta event in late March before we knew about the guaranteed access from pre-purchase.

So there's a beta that the pre-purchasing people are not getting access to, but will be available for the randomly selected beta participants who have not pre-purchased after the beta weekends start?

That's not going to sit well. I assumed that pre-purchasers would get access to "the beta" not some neutered version of the beta, or exclusion from other beta activities. If they give more access to the beta to the people who have not purchased, I expect a lot of QQing.
No, apparently I was mistaken about the separation of the events related to the beta signups and the pre-purchase access.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1221688p1.html

awesome video showing elementalist

i was getting bored of the vids of this game until i saw this..my faith has been renewed..i'm a sucker for great spell effects

and the diversity and decision making with this class thrills me to no end...anyone who says this is a 'button masher', needs to rethink that...decision making is what makes combat fun

enjoy

Wow...ONE beta round per month? That's so depressing. Hopefully they can release the game by the end of June.

World PVP is always about #'s in MMO. Nothing else. So I hope that A-Net has a way to keep that situation from toppling over on itself.

Having 250 vs 150 is pointless. Aion proved it easily when all their servers became unbalanced pieces of fail, they had to try and merge and rebalance them, only to make it worse.

Thankfully it appears NCSoft isn't active in GW2 just has their name on the box. I hope they never touch another MMO again, cause Aion had huge potential, and no actual logical backing or direction.

World PVP is always about #'s in MMO. Nothing else. So I hope that A-Net has a way to keep that situation from toppling over on itself.

Having 250 vs 150 is pointless. Aion proved it easily when all their servers became unbalanced pieces of fail, they had to try and merge and rebalance them, only to make it worse.

Thankfully it appears NCSoft isn't active in GW2 just has their name on the box. I hope they never touch another MMO again, cause Aion had huge potential, and no actual logical backing or direction.

I have read a few interviews where they talk about that issue and their idea is that the WvW maps are so huge and have so many different points that if there are 250 people attacking you can just go to a different part of the map and take over a different area. They have said that a few people can hold a keep against a large number for a short time until their supplies start to run out.

In theory it makes sense but I guess we wont know until the game comes out. Judging from how much thought they put into all the other systems, though, I have a feeling they will work out any issues with balance. It really does seem like they have thought of everything(I know that sounds like a fanboy statement, but I stand by it).

I have read a few interviews where they talk about that issue and their idea is that the WvW maps are so huge and have so many different points that if there are 250 people attacking you can just go to a different part of the map and take over a different area. They have said that a few people can hold a keep against a large number for a short time until their supplies start to run out.

In theory it makes sense but I guess we wont know until the game comes out. Judging from how much thought they put into all the other systems, though, I have a feeling they will work out any issues with balance. It really does seem like they have thought of everything(I know that sounds like a fanboy statement, but I stand by it).

After played the beta I can assure you, numbers will matter. Sorrow's Furnace in the beta was overpopulated and dominated WvW, in fact it was so bad that they had to reset the WvW server on day 2 because Sorrow's Furnace has captured the entire map on the first night. After that, the other two servers called a truce and stopped attacking one another and it's the only way they stayed on the map. Arena.net is going to have to be very careful with server populations.

I read that multiple PvP guilds that got into the beta all joined one server. So they were playing constantly and took over everything. If that were to happen in the game though, after the 2 week game that server would be matched with another server that plays PvP constantly so it will balance out after a while.

Not much news lately on the GW2 front.

They announced the removal of side-kicking up though. You can no longer have a lower level player side-kicked up to a higher level, which makes sense to me. The higher level can still sidekick down though.

3 more days until official pre-purchase... Hope they plan to announce the release date. If not, it's kind of weird to think about buying a game before it even has a release date, especially considering this isn't pre-order, but pre-purchase.

We will not find out the release date on April 10th.

[–]ladyfaithSanguina X 2 points 20 hours ago

My guess is they'll let us know the release date on the 10th or the 11th.

parent

[–]Mike-OBrien-ArenaNet 42 points 16 hours ago

No, we won't. It's not like we have a secret release date and we're not telling you. We meant what we said: we'll release the game when it's ready. And beta testing is where we find out if it's ready.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/rx4yo/prepurchasing_the_collectors_edition/

Based on this, I can't see the game launching anytime before July at the very earliest. Most likely a late August/September release.

Fine with me.
Shows they're still dedicated to release a good product.

... I was thinking about getting the first Guild Wars since there is none, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet and now with this coming out i'd hate to buy it and then see everyone migrate. ...

Guild Wars 1 is not really a multi-player game anymore. You still can play it multi-player, but the vast majority of the population has not for 2-4 years or more. Grouping with other people has mostly been replaced with the mechanic of having customizable "heros". I actually mostly prefer it this way, since a lot of players were incapable of playing the game well enough to be a help, rather than a hindrance to mission goals. There are plenty of people that play it with a few friends though, filling the remaining slots with heros, I still do that from time to time.

Also it was never an MMO to begin with, the only non instanced areas were the outposts where you met up to make groups, as soon as you went into a mission, only the 4, 6, 8, or in two "special" areas 12, people that made up your group would be in the mission. So it was kind of like Diablo with outposts instead of a chat room.

Guild wars 2 is probably going to try to avoid going down the hero route, we'll see how it goes. Part of what made the hero route required in GW1 is that, as they added expansions, the player base became to spread out over the mission outposts, making it nearly impossible to make pickup groups for most older missions.

All that being said, they do have a neat bridge mechanic, where you can bring some items and titles over from GW1 to GW2, also supposedly you'll be able to reserve any player character names you used in GW1. So if you can get a copy for $10-$20 it might be worth playing with a bit.

Oh and one final thing, part of the charm of Guild Wars, is that unlike more traditional RPGs, it is somewhat of action game. You can dodge projectiles by moving your character, move out of AOE zones, and avoid melee damage by running away from melees. So there's more than just RPG mechanics at work when playing. I believe GW2 is attempting to be even more of an action/RPG hybrid.

My only significant concern with GW2 is the cash shop, cash shops can all too easily cause developers to warp a games mechanics into basically requiring a continuous outlay of cash to avoid various annoyances.

Guild Wars 1 is not really a multi-player game anymore. You still can play it multi-player, but the vast majority of the population has not for 2-4 years or more. Grouping with other people has mostly been replaced with the mechanic of having customizable "heros". I actually mostly prefer it this way, since a lot of players were incapable of playing the game well enough to be a help, rather than a hindrance to mission goals. There are plenty of people that play it with a few friends though, filling the remaining slots with heros, I still do that from time to time.

Also it was never an MMO to begin with, the only non instanced areas were the outposts where you met up to make groups, as soon as you went into a mission, only the 4, 6, 8, or in two "special" areas 12, people that made up your group would be in the mission. So it was kind of like Diablo with outposts instead of a chat room.

Guild wars 2 is probably going to try to avoid going down the hero route, we'll see how it goes. Part of what made the hero route required in GW1 is that, as they added expansions, the player base became to spread out over the mission outposts, making it nearly impossible to make pickup groups for most older missions.

All that being said, they do have a neat bridge mechanic, where you can bring some items and titles over from GW1 to GW2, also supposedly you'll be able to reserve any player character names you used in GW1. So if you can get a copy for $10-$20 it might be worth playing with a bit.

Oh and one final thing, part of the charm of Guild Wars, is that unlike more traditional RPGs, it is somewhat of action game. You can dodge projectiles by moving your character, move out of AOE zones, and avoid melee damage by running away from melees. So there's more than just RPG mechanics at work when playing. I believe GW2 is attempting to be even more of an action/RPG hybrid.

My only significant concern with GW2 is the cash shop, cash shops can all too easily cause developers to warp a games mechanics into basically requiring a continuous outlay of cash to avoid various annoyances.

There was a youtube video that explained how it all worked and how it is not going to be P2W as it is designed atm and can't be. They designed it quite geniously.

I didn't say it would be P2W, I said it might be pay to not be plagued by annoyances.

The grind to level, the grind for gear, and the grind to do just about anything in it.

I never really understood this argument, in that case why not just take levels and gear out of the game entirely?

I tried out Tera and it just didn't grab my attention right away. I had a hard time focusing on playing the game and continuously was distracted by Hardforum and reddit. I don't know whether or not this was because I was playing GW2 beta during the same weekend though; I just had more fun with GW2 in the beginning. Tera definitely had some better combat compared to recent MMOs though (GW2 aside).

Back