The Official Borderlands 2 Thread

the level cap is a big flaw in the game. there isn't any reason not to let people continue leveling up. Max out all the skills. guns will need to continually be upgraded to keep up with the baddies. you could play it forever. as is there is little reason to continue playing after you hit 50. especially with the nerfed loot.

I pretty much completed the last DLC and didn't even bother with the sidequests. I'm realy burned out on Borderlands in general. It was a great 90 hours though :)

the level cap is a big flaw in the game. there isn't any reason not to let people continue leveling up. Max out all the skills. guns will need to continually be upgraded to keep up with the baddies. you could play it forever. as is there is little reason to continue playing after you hit 50. especially with the nerfed loot.

Agreed. It is completely absurd. Pitchford said it is a bit tricky to increase the level cap, not something you just do.. Idiotic really. First of all lack of business acumen on that part (keep core fans happy, give new fans incentives to play for a long long time). Secondly he has a small army of programmers, how long does it take to implement? It is a matter of will and there is none right now.

I pretty much completed the last DLC and didn't even bother with the sidequests. I'm realy burned out on Borderlands in general. It was a great 90 hours though :)

I´m at 260 hours and not burned out at all. I am however angry at the lack of will to provide us with more storage space and levels. However I do not play with my level 50 character as it makes no sense at all.

Gearbox, hurry up now. You are losing momentum here.

I have a random question about BL2. I bought it on Steam recently during the autumn sale. However, my internet connection has been pretty spotty and it would be a big hassle to try and DL the whole thing.

A friend of mine also purchased BL2 over the TG holiday, but he got the physical media for PC. My question is, if he were to loan me his install discs, could I use them to install BL2 on my machine and get around the large download? I'm thinking if you put in the physical disks does it check your steam account and see that "credit" has been given to owning the game, which will let you install? Or do you need to type in the CD key that presumably comes in the package to install from the physical disks? That would prevent me from being able to install since I never received an actual "CD-key" from buying online.

Alternatively, is there a way to extract/see the "CD-key" granted to you upon online digital purchase, so you can use physical media to install?

Hope this does not encroach on "piracy talk". I hope it's clear I'm just trying to install a game I already own using physical media versus DL.

Last edited:
dunno where in the process it asks for the key. you can try viewing BL2 properties, it should list the key. if not, start the download, maybe the key will be available then. stop it afterwards and load from DVD. Just be aware that there will still be a large download as the game has been patched. And as I recall, BL2 was not that big anyway (assuming broadband)

Alternatively, is there a way to extract/see the "CD-key" granted to you upon online digital purchase, so you can use physical media to install?

Steam is kind of its own repository, the DVD version installs to a different place and the folder structure between steam and DVD version are often different. 99.9% sure you can't use physical copy to install Steam version, unless you mickey moused with installing from disc then moving the folders to the proper steam folder, then let it download any differences. Not sure that would work though or if it wouldn't just re-download the whole thing anyway if you were to let it do a verify of the game files. You could always try posting on Gearbox forums in tech support section.

If your internet connection is such a problem then maybe a digital download service isn't the ideal way to buy games versus getting physical copies mailed.

You can get the key from steam and try and are if the physical copy accepts it and it will just install like a normal game and not a steam game.

If anyone else you know has the Steam version, you can ask them to create a backup of their copy (right click on game in library and click "Backup Game Files"). Throw that on a flash drive and you can use it to install offline on your machine with your account/credentials.

just do what I do.
download it on a better internet connection, back it up and then take it to your computer and restore it.

My internet situation is temporary so that's why I bought on Steam. Guess I'll have to wait till next week when I get a better connection and DL it then.

I thought with these Steam-only, Steam-required games the install disk was basically a glorified download, wherein everything works identical and integrated to Steam, except the source of the game data is an optical disc and not a download server.

I purchased BL2 but havent played it too much. seems a little crazy to me.

Is it best played with real friends rather than matchmaking?

Yeah, don't play with randoms unless you want to get left to die and get zero loot.

I purchased BL2 but havent played it too much. seems a little crazy to me.

Is it best played with real friends rather than matchmaking?

Matchmaking is bad because many players have modded weapons and they will kill all guys around easily ruining your game. This is my experience.

So, better play alone or with friends you trust.

Do matchmaking with strangers only on their games, not yours :)

Agreed. It is completely absurd. Pitchford said it is a bit tricky to increase the level cap, not something you just do.. Idiotic really. First of all lack of business acumen on that part (keep core fans happy, give new fans incentives to play for a long long time). Secondly he has a small army of programmers, how long does it take to implement? It is a matter of will and there is none right now.

Agreed. The only reason I can see it being "not something you just do" is in terms of end-game balance. The framework is already there, there are a ton of skill points you can't get even with 50 levels, so it seems to me like just being able to increase a number in a config file somewhere.

Though, maybe there are also issues with game mechanics/models at higher levels (like being able to use more skills at once, for instance Axton's turret having shield + dual guns + rockets + maglock, etc, where that was previously unattainable).

Though, maybe there are also issues with game mechanics/models at higher levels (like being able to use more skills at once, for instance Axton's turret having shield + dual guns + rockets + maglock, etc, where that was previously unattainable).

Yes, agreed. There are issues with mechanics that needs solving as well. And for that they should have the right kind of employes I hope. If a game development company cant implement increased levels cap a la Borderlands.. oh dear. I am simply not buying it. They are shooting themselves in both feet right now. Hopefully I am just extremely impatient and we will see a raised cap sooner than later.

Well yeah, we are two DLCs in and no level cap increase, let alone any other fixes like increased bank/backpack space or more decent uses for Eridium.

Mechromancer's Deathtrap is waaaaay overpowered above level 40 or so in PT1. Rediculously so if you have the Bee and you spent some of your skill points on the upshot robot skill, and sharing is caring skill. Deathrap will kill off pretty much anything that is not a raid boss, on it's own. An entire area full of baddies, no problem, just let Deathtrap go, and it will kill everything. You just chase along behind and decide what loot is worth bothering with. I have even soloed Terramorphous and both of the raid bosses in the Pirate's Booty DLC using Deathtrap, with the Bee, and some blue and purple weapons in the 40s.
The PT2 should be much better.

Last edited:
Wow, no posts in two days?!? I guess everyone is playing Far Cry 3! :D

I just got bored half wya through DLC2....Just isn't riveting. Main game, I couldn't stop playing, DLC 1 I couldn't stop playing, this....I was turned off fairly quick. Break time..

Been playing old school games instead. Played though my FF Prototype, playing FF3 right now and probably will start Dragon Warrior 4 as well.

Borderlands 2 swept the Spike VGAs winning Best Shooter, Character of the Year (Claptrap) and Best Performance by a Human Male (Handsome Jack) and Best Multiplayer tonight... :D

Apparently you can buy the Creature Slaughter Dome and Collector's Edition items individually now, for the (ridiculous IMO) price of $5 each.

I just realized I played only 2 out of 4 original Borderland DLCs. Yaya, something to do till new BL2 DLC available :)

I have a question about Physx. I got BL2 installed on my PC earlier this week and even though I have an AMD video card and no nVidia installed, I found that I could enable Physx (and choose low/med/high) in the graphics options. Did this get patched in or something? I thought I would have had to go in and edit some config files to hack physx to work on AMD cards but I could choose Physx right off the bat on my (Steam) install.

Also I have been playing so far and notice that the performance with Physx is actually pretty good. My setup is decent but fairly modest, i5 2400 with 2GB AMD 6950. The GPU is slightly over clocked as it came like this from the factory but the CPU is stock speed (3.1GHz). And I have everything at maximum and it runs just fine at 1920x1080. Has Physx performance been optimized in a recent patch or something? I recall reading about people with 7970s and fast i7s BL2 with big slowdowns and struggling for playable frame rates when Physx was enabled.

Finally, do the physx effects get toned down at all if running them on an AMD system vs. an nVidia one? I also recall seeing videos with people demonstrating Physx with tons and tons of particles, and gobs of liquid flying around all over the place. On my game I see lots of particles but they disappear after a few mins, and liquid like that comes out of the outhouse things or from barrels, blood, etc. don't seem to have that much volume- and disappears pretty quickly too. Maybe that is why I see good performance, because the Physx effects on AMD systems are programmed to be not as intense?

Anyway I was pretty pleasantly surprised to see how well it all ran, I was expecting that I would not be able to play with physx effects because I did not have a super strong CPU nor an nVidia GPU.

P.S. I'm only like 1-2 hours in, so maybe everything is just too "simple" at this point to really see Physx give my gameplay a good workout, that might explain some of it too...

there are only a couple of levels that will kill you on physx, the caustic caverns and I forget the other. maybe the final fight.

Matchmaking is bad because many players have modded weapons and they will kill all guys around easily ruining your game. This is my experience.

So, better play alone or with friends you trust.

Do matchmaking with strangers only on their games, not yours :)

Good advice.

Also, what online game isn't best played with friends you trust? ;)

Since no one else has weighed in, I will put in what I know without really looking into it.

I thought that it still was not supported by AMD cards and even though you can crank it up, it really doesn't do anything because the card doesn't know what to do with it, basically. I could be completely wrong, but I would say find some videos of what it looks like with physx on and off and then see if yours looks the same. You cited some things you did see but I am not sure if it is the intended visual they were going for.

For comparison, I have a i7 3930k and an MSI GTX580 factory oc'd a little bit on a 1920x1200 display. I had to turn down physx to low because it was getting to my card pretty badly when I was in some battles. The gpu load was noticeably taxed until I turned it down from high. But I could definitely see the difference between barrel sludge and things that utilize the physx effects.

Just my two cents, hope it helps at all.

Borderlands 2 swept the Spike VGAs winning Best Shooter, Character of the Year (Claptrap) and Best Performance by a Human Male (Handsome Jack) and Best Multiplayer tonight... :D

Honestly, Tiny Tina was a WAY better character I felt than Claptrap. Jack was an amazing villain, but Tiny was an amazing delight and hilarious to listen to.

If you don't have an nVidia GPU, you can enable the PhysX but it's handled by the CPU instead. Usually it's too much for most CPUs even on medium.

My experience @ 1920x1200 with the computer in my sig (4Ghz i5, GTX 470) is that I can have it set to medium just fine with no apparent slowdown except when in places like Caustic Caverns, and anywhere inside the Dam with the whirlpool, which is much worse for me in there than in the caverns for some reason, regardless of where I'm looking usually. Seems the PhysX calculations are still being done even when you're not looking in that direction or something.

Honestly, Tiny Tina was a WAY better character I felt than Claptrap. Jack was an amazing villain, but Tiny was an amazing delight and hilarious to listen to.
Agreed. She was the best character in the game... sadly under-utilized. In fact, that whole train area felt a little under-utilized.

"Kill all the babies!!!" I friggen lol every time...

Oh wait.... too soon?

I'm apparently in the minority, but I freaking hated Tina. I muted all of her dialog after my first play through. She's just obnoxious as all hell.

"Kill all the babies!!!" I friggen lol every time...

Oh wait.... too soon?

In the current context, just tasteless.

Still playing DLC2 and enjoying it a lot. But after the latest patch I get a bug where I can not get into the menu or wield any weapons.. sigh. Restart fixes it.

Before that patch I also had "number of Bikes destroyed" reset all the time. Anyone else have these issues?

Last edited:
Back