The Nokia Lumia 1020 (Eos) Thread

So the 1020 is a good camera, is that the best thing about it? What happens if you don't take that many pictures? Any other redeeming qualities about the device.
 
So the 1020 is a good camera, is that the best thing about it? What happens if you don't take that many pictures? Any other redeeming qualities about the device.
In my opinion, no, no other redeeming qualities. >.< It's the only reason I went after this phone. I don't have much experience trying out other phones, so take this with a heavy grain of salt. This phone feels like it could be better protected and should have been made with a slightly thicker/more durable chassis (I can't answer the question 'why', I just feel like this is something that should have been done).

I also occasionally worry about the USB connector on the bottom of this phone. I don't know what Android uses, but having had a couple years of experience with an iPhone 3GS and also seeing my co-worker's iPhone 5 with the newer connector, Apple certainly did a stellar job with the connector. What Apple came up with is sure to last very long. I'm afraid that it wouldn't take much to break the USB connector in the Nokia Lumia 1020. I have once broken it for my grip accessory, rendering it useless when you wanted to recharge the grip itself. The contacts inside the USB socket are on an extruded platform inside the socket, and I fear that these could be broken off with the wrong move. I haven't purposefully tried to see how fragile the connector is (nor will I pursue this).

The music player in Windows Phone is primitive and needs a lot of work, as well as much better management over music media and playlists. Apple did a good job here in that you have to have iTunes to put music on your phone, and likewise that is the very same program you use to manage playlists. I know that many non-tech savvy people have troubles using iTunes, but I think they'd have even more headache trying to figure it out with Windows Phone 8 on Nokia Lumia 1020. Putting music on it is as easy as copy and paste, but creating playlists is kind of interesting and there isn't a straightforward obvious way to manage them (things like the ordering of tracks and name of playlist). I have a feeling it is supposed to be done through Windows Media Player + utilizing its sync feature though. I don't want to use that program, but I suppose you could call it an alternative to iTunes. But even then, WMP too needs work because in iTunes I can drag and drop a poorly tagged album straight into a playlist I created for that album, whereas with WMP I have to import the album and the poorly tagged songs get mixed in with everything else that is imported in WMP's library and I have to figure out and search through thoroughly to find each and every track of the album I imported, then create a playlist out of the selected songs (this last part isn't hard, just the first part being ridiculous).

There are many apps in Windows Store that are not compatible with Windows Phone 8, but there's nothing stopping you from downloading and installing such apps. Some apps will be unusable due to not being designed for Windows Phone 8 commonly resulting in GUI issues and glitches. Microsoft should make it a requirement for developers to "republish" their app confirming their app works with each Windows Phone update/release. I think this would cut down on apps that lack development, poor quality apps, and filter out some apps that you really don't need to see showing up in search results when you're looking for apps.

Bluetooth support is well.. I'm not sure yet what you can even use the bluetooth for. I don't have a bluetooth speaker or bluetooth cassette adapter in my car to see if that would work, but I can tell you for certain that bluetooth keyboards do not work. This is supposed to be fixed with an upcoming firmware update GDR3 or whatever that introduces "Driver Mode" in Windows Phone 8. In short, bluetooth capabilities seem to be limited right now.

At this time, it doesn't seem like there are many accessories for this out either. I still look forward to a day when someone will have a protective case that is designed assuming that the user will have their Nokia grip accessory installed on their phone; another accessory to allow for DSLR lens attachments or a Nokia Lumia 1020-compatible telephoto/fisheye/fun lens attachments; and another accessory as a bluetooth shutter release for the camera.

I have also wondered about the glass (not sure if glass or plastic actually, but I think it's glass) covering the lens of the camera regarding scratches and durability. What happens if that gets scratched? What do you do? And regarding the Gorilla glass covering the face of the phone, will there be any way to get it repaired via third party vendor or are you required to deal through cellular carrier/Nokia/Microsoft warranty?
 
Last edited:
So the 1020 is a good camera, is that the best thing about it? What happens if you don't take that many pictures? Any other redeeming qualities about the device.

If you don't value the camera, then it's no better than 925.
 
lol. The CG animation is amazing. The music is also emotionally captivating. Together, especially around 0:30 in the video, it feels like the spirits of humanity are on the brink of extinction through some supernova ion cannon about to blow civilizations to nebula dust and the end of this long 100-episode anime series is nigh.

Nokia made such a masterpiece!

*wipes tears*

Everything you have said about this video is right on. It deserves awards. No doubt you have noticed the high number of thumbs up and comments it garnered in YouTube.

Thanks for pointing us to it.
 
Last edited:
Battery life -- compared to my iPhone 3GS, both devices being as optimized as possible for minimal usage while keeping cellular connectivity on, the Nokia Lumia 1020 does a significantly extraordinarily better job. I will say, my Nokia Lumia 1020 is only 1-2 months of age whereas my iPhone 3GS was around 4 years old. ;\

I can go a whole day and my Nokia Lumia 1020 has a remaining 75-80% battery. This includes browsing the internet, checking Facebook, and checking my e-mail accounts throughout the day. (Same behavior as with iPhone 3GS.)
 
The color pop of this camera is very impressive, reminds me of the upgrade I got in a phones camera when I went from a Moto RAZR to a Sony 810i (which had a dedicated camera button!).

Cerulean, I hope you are reading this. I want your feedback regarding what I am writing.


First, Trimlock.
I found it interesting that you, like some others here, are drawn to color pop. As for myself, I prefer colors to be unembellished, free of increased color saturation. It is for that reason I chose a computer display whose panel is native sRGB, not AdobeRGB.

Now back to the 1020. The clarity of images in this smartphone is truly superb for a smartphone - second to none in my opinion. If only the camera did not apply that unavoidable light blue tint to lightly colored objects and scenery (table cloths, white walls, white sidewalks, the sky, and yes even grass) then I would buy this smart phone to use as an easy to carry camera.

I'm saddened to see that the blue tint shows up even when WhiteBalance is adjusted, you can witness this when you watch reviewers moving the whitepoint slider and the blue tint persists.

Am currently drawn to the images produced by the camera in the Sony Experia Z1 because it's colors are for me more accurate, and the images are virtually free of noticeable or distracting tinting.

I wish the Nokia 1020 had the color accuracy and the lack of tint in the Z1, and I wish that the Sony had the superior image clarity of the Nokia 1020.
The Sony Experia Z1 despite it taking relatively clear photos, has some noticeable noise that the 1020 doesn't have.

--> I am in a dilemma, do I wait for a smartphone to come out that has the color accuracy of the Z1 plus the sharpness of the 1020?
Or must I choose between accepting a tradeoff in color accuracy or sharpness - settle for less than ideal - and go with a Z1 or a 1020?
 
Last edited:
I think its easier to adjust colors. Noise is hard to deal with.
 

Cerulean, I hope you are reading this. I want your feedback regarding what I am writing.
The differences are somewhat negligible; you get +1 in area A and -1 in area B with one, but -1 / +1 with the other. It is true that in some angles/scenes/times of day/location there seems to be this tint to the image, but for the most part I don't have that problem with my Nokia Lumia 1020. I also understand what you mean about the white balance. I wish there was more control over that part, but for the most part auto does a good job and I haven't had to set it to something else. On my DSLR, half the time I do set a white balance profile (and I do further micro-tweaks to temperature and other stuff when it comes to processing time) -- not saying anything bad about DSLRs whatsoever, as there are times when it is better to manually define white balance than leave it to auto, especially if you're doing HDR or panoramas (I have reasons outside of these two uses, but I can't describe it or provide an example).

To me, you seem like an Android-type of guy, so I would recommend the Sony Experia Z1 for you. I think you will get more out of it overall, and remember -- the camera is only ONE aspect of user experience. There are still things like user interface, operating system, apps base, etcetera. Again, based on what you have written I get the feeling an Android would be better for you. The Sony Experia Z1 camera is pretty good anyway, so you would get that + Android. ;)
 
colors look pretty close to perfect on my 1020, I don't see this tint you guys are talking about.
 

Cerulean, I hope you are reading this. I want your feedback regarding what I am writing.


First, Trimlock.
I found it interesting that you, like some others here, are drawn to color pop. As for myself, I prefer colors to be unembellished, free of increased color saturation. It is for that reason I chose a computer display whose panel is native sRGB, not AdobeRGB.

Sorry, not color pop as in over saturation, or unrealistic imaging. The accuracy of colors and vividness quality of the camera.
 
colors look pretty close to perfect on my 1020, I don't see this tint you guys are talking about.
It's hard to get it to show up. Like I said, for the most part this isn't a problem.

I do wish that the maximum exposure time allowable would be longer than 4 seconds. :( I'd be happy if even there were a 30 second exposure maximum (it can already do 1/16,000th of a second woo!).

I think the colors on the Nokia Lumia 1020 are fine. The camera also does very well at high ISO unlike my T3i where it gets very ugly and hardly usable.
 
You know what would be awesome with this phone? A Bluetooth device for manually controlling the focus of the camera. ;) I will have more on this later
 
Back
Top