The Nokia Lumia 1020 (Eos) Thread

A few websites reviewed it and did blind tests like that. Check dpreview and gsmarena.
 
I would consider this phone just to try a non IOS/Droid OS phone... would love to have a better camera, and this certainly seems to be fit the bill.

While not thrilled to gamble on a Windows phone, given my history or either loosing, dropping, and destroying phones, this might be an option.

Good god, must find an unlimited data plan, or the large pics and lack of SD slot could become a real issue.
 
I would consider this phone just to try a non IOS/Droid OS phone... would love to have a better camera, and this certainly seems to be fit the bill.

While not thrilled to gamble on a Windows phone, given my history or either loosing, dropping, and destroying phones, this might be an option.

Good god, must find an unlimited data plan, or the large pics and lack of SD slot could become a real issue.
Another reason to avoid this phone is that the Sony Honami is rumored to have a 20 MP sensor, along with a lot of Sony's Point and Shoot tech. It's even got a Snapdragon S800, huge battery, and a 1080p screen. Motorola is also rumored to be using a new technology in their camera; who knows, but what I'm saying is that if this Nokia 41 MP is any remotely successful, you know some Android manufacturer will put it in next year's flagship models. And, heck, I'd much rather get the Sony Honami with than a WP-crippled phone.

P.S. I'm actually a fan of WP, but not a fan of Microsoft delays.
 
Last edited:
Another reason to avoid this phone is that the Sony Honami is rumored to have a 20 MP sensor, alone with a lot of Sony's Point and Shoot tech. It's even got a Snapdragon S800, huge battery, and a 1080p screen. Motorola is also rumored to be using a new technology in their camera; who knows, but what I'm saying is that if this Nokia 41 MP is any remotely successful, you know some Android manufacturer will put it in next year's flagship models. And, heck, I'd much rather get the Sony Honami with than a WP-crippled phone.

P.S. I'm actually a fan of WP, but not a fan of Microsoft delays.

Well we are going to see the aluminium prototype lumia this year too. 1080p etc can be expected.
 
Well we are going to see the aluminium prototype lumia this year too. 1080p etc can be expected.

Well, right now none of these are available in the UK, including the 1020.

I dropped my phone on the tube, and while they recovered it for me, the screen is cracked and the camera has gone all to shits.

So I am willing to wait a bit, like a month, but probably not any longer, because then then Nikon rumours, and the huawai rumours, and the on and on an on rumours.:p
 
I gave in and pre-ordered on of these this morning. Just got standard shipping so I should with any luck have it at the end of next week. Will update then.
 
I'm going to pass as this is not a true upgrade to a 920 or 925. This is just a lateral move with only the camera and an extra gig of ram the difference.
 
I'm going to pass as this is not a true upgrade to a 920 or 925. This is just a lateral move with only the camera and an extra gig of ram the difference.

Ditto

Hopefully Nokia will be able to push the successor of the 1020 closer inline with the release of WP9 and nextgen hardware.
 
QuickTest: Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Canon EOS 60D. PureView vs DSLR (filmed on Nokia Lumia 925)
http://mynokiablog.com/2013/07/16/q...d-pureview-vs-dslr-filmed-on-nokia-lumia-925/

I see a lot of comments about this versus a DSLR, but i highly doubt its going to compete with DSLR image quality. Sure it has a lot of resolution, but since when does resolution and image quality go hand in hand ? if your making poster size prints of something you cropped, which is extremely rare.

Dont get me wrong, im really excited to try a nokia 1020, but when it comes time to do my family portraits or an artistic photo -- im going to grab my DSLR and quality lenses.
 
Dont get me wrong, im really excited to try a nokia 1020, but when it comes time to do my family portraits or an artistic photo -- im going to grab my DSLR and quality lenses.

I doubt nokia intends for it to be a DSLR replacement, and for when you want a serious photo, why would you grab a camera phone anyways? especially if you have DSLR to your name to begin with?

this is targeted more towards the mobile P&S crowd. why bring both a compact P&S and your phone, when one can do both?
 
I hope they realize that anyone that got the 920/928 can't upgrade to this anyway without paying out the ass. It's a lateral move for those people anyway. I'm definitely rooting for Nokia/WP because I absolutely love my 920. I just can't find a feasible way to upgrade to the 1020 without angering my wallet/wife :(
 
Next gen WP devices are what I am looking forward to. I don't think this is really aimed at current Lumia 920 users. This is probably niche device and the next iteration should be interesting, from hardware point of view too.
 
What I don't get is why all the wasted bezel space? Literally, 20-25% of the front of the phone is not being used by the screen itself. It just does not look good to me at all. I went to an ATT store the other day and finally played with a Windows phone and was just unimpressed. Maybe I'm just so used to Android and it's experience that I'm biased. I also like heavy customization and the unified feel of Windows 8 doesn't really appeal to me
 
What I don't get is why all the wasted bezel space? Literally, 20-25% of the front of the phone is not being used by the screen itself. It just does not look good to me at all. I went to an ATT store the other day and finally played with a Windows phone and was just unimpressed. Maybe I'm just so used to Android and it's experience that I'm biased. I also like heavy customization and the unified feel of Windows 8 doesn't really appeal to me

Android phones these days waste quite large part for soft keys. I'd rather waste bezel.
 
Ok got mine in today. So far I've only had the time to really get it setup and whatnot.

I have messed with the camera some and compared it to my work iphone 4s. I only really compared them on their screens. I will say the extra resolution looks like it has some great potential.

Past that the phone feels smooth and fast compared to my 4s(running ios 7 beta 3)
 
I wish phones wouldn't have "smooth" and would instead be replaced by "snappy and responsive". That is "faster" and saves time. I hate having to wait on the "smooth" animations to complete. People don't realize how much of their lives are being wasted due to animations, and are easily tricked into thinking smooth = fast, when it really says nothing and in worst case scenario is used to cover up the lack of horsepower (aka from where performance derives) and make a device seem fast through placebo and psychology.

I remember in Windows XP, there was a HUGE difference in observable "performance" when disabling all animations and setting Start Menu pop-up delay to something between 0ms and 5ms vs the default of 40ms+. I remember a fellow telling me "OMG your laptop is freaking fast!" ('faster than his') when I had a Lenovo G500 (some cheap dual-core Intel Pentium with Intel shared GPU) -- he had a relatively decent gaming laptop that easily overpowered and wiped my G500 off the table, running Windows XP as well.

*sigh*

I want snappy and responsive devices, not devices that are masked with animations that are "silky smooth" (that's just full of BS and psychological marketing).
 
Dude, I made some UI that just snaps. The users hated it. They want some kind of transition. So I got an intern to add transition effects and delays. I'm with you sometimes, but it's what the users demand.
 
Dude, I made some UI that just snaps. The users hated it. They want some kind of transition. So I got an intern to add transition effects and delays. I'm with you sometimes, but it's what the users demand.
frown.gif
 
I wish phones wouldn't have "smooth" and would instead be replaced by "snappy and responsive". That is "faster" and saves time. I hate having to wait on the "smooth" animations to complete. People don't realize how much of their lives are being wasted due to animations, and are easily tricked into thinking smooth = fast, when it really says nothing and in worst case scenario is used to cover up the lack of horsepower (aka from where performance derives) and make a device seem fast through placebo and psychology.

I remember in Windows XP, there was a HUGE difference in observable "performance" when disabling all animations and setting Start Menu pop-up delay to something between 0ms and 5ms vs the default of 40ms+. I remember a fellow telling me "OMG your laptop is freaking fast!" ('faster than his') when I had a Lenovo G500 (some cheap dual-core Intel Pentium with Intel shared GPU) -- he had a relatively decent gaming laptop that easily overpowered and wiped my G500 off the table, running Windows XP as well.

*sigh*

I want snappy and responsive devices, not devices that are masked with animations that are "silky smooth" (that's just full of BS and psychological marketing).

Its funny you mention that. I tested a (at the time) brand new HTC windows phone 7 versus my old and lower end android HTC aria. The aria did everything faster when measured by stop watch, but it didnt "seem" faster until i compared it. The windows phone elegantly flips tiles away and loads your email. the android phone just loaded the email. it was faster opening apps, loading webpages, and it was running android so it was actually useful too :)
 
Noting something I briefly talked about how Microsoft is designed themselves to stay behind, here comes Android 4.3. It supports a 4K screen... Now, obviously I don't except a 4K phone anytime soon, but at least Android aren't going to be limited by resolution. WP is already behind and there goes Microsoft designing it to be even more limited.
 
Probably wasn't added for phones per say but for TV's and monitors where Chromestik v2 or v3 would be used, Android sticks, or Android embedded in TV's.
 
Noting something I briefly talked about how Microsoft is designed themselves to stay behind, here comes Android 4.3. It supports a 4K screen... Now, obviously I don't except a 4K phone anytime soon, but at least Android aren't going to be limited by resolution. WP is already behind and there goes Microsoft designing it to be even more limited.

You do not know what WP8.1 will support. W8 is the os for tablets and it supports everything. No one is going to put 4K display in phone anytime soon.
 
You do not know what WP8.1 will support. W8 is the os for tablets and it supports everything. No one is going to put 4K display in phone anytime soon.
The point is WP7 should have came out supporting 720p and WP8 should have supported 1080p and maybe 1200p and, heck, 1600p.

Microsoft just proves time and time again to not think ahead on their mobile platforms.
 
Last edited:
I wish phones wouldn't have "smooth" and would instead be replaced by "snappy and responsive". That is "faster" and saves time. I hate having to wait on the "smooth" animations to complete. People don't realize how much of their lives are being wasted due to animations, and are easily tricked into thinking smooth = fast, when it really says nothing and in worst case scenario is used to cover up the lack of horsepower (aka from where performance derives) and make a device seem fast through placebo and psychology.

I remember in Windows XP, there was a HUGE difference in observable "performance" when disabling all animations and setting Start Menu pop-up delay to something between 0ms and 5ms vs the default of 40ms+. I remember a fellow telling me "OMG your laptop is freaking fast!" ('faster than his') when I had a Lenovo G500 (some cheap dual-core Intel Pentium with Intel shared GPU) -- he had a relatively decent gaming laptop that easily overpowered and wiped my G500 off the table, running Windows XP as well.

*sigh*

I want snappy and responsive devices, not devices that are masked with animations that are "silky smooth" (that's just full of BS and psychological marketing).

This is pretty much what I was complaining about with WP earlier in the thread. I hate its gaudy animations. In Android, I can go into the developer options and double animation speed or totally disable it. I put them all on .5x so they're a lot faster. I tried totally disabling them, but sometimes things would load instantly and I wouldn't recognize that the screen had changed for a few seconds (which is half the point behind animations - so you better recognize transitions). So animations are actually useful in that regard. But I think they should be as fast as possible.
 
Yup, I just don't understand why can't Microsoft deliver on a screen size update even back in February. Supposedly, that part of the code is done; but no... let's wait to bundle that in with the rest of the updates at the end of year.

So, HTC can't sell their HTC WP8 phone with that killer screen back in February. And now Nokia's sells will hurt with Lumia 1020. I can guarantee you that Nokia would have liked a 4.7" or 5" phone, but they couldn't because 720p isn't good enough at those sizes. So 4.5" is a nice medium. MS is all about crippling their partners on the mobile front, so it seems.
 
Yup, I just don't understand why can't Microsoft deliver on a screen size update even back in February. Supposedly, that part of the code is done; but no... let's wait to bundle that in with the rest of the updates at the end of year.

So, HTC can't sell their HTC WP8 phone with that killer screen back in February. And now Nokia's sells will hurt with Lumia 1020. I can guarantee you that Nokia would have liked a 4.7" or 5" phone, but they couldn't because 720p isn't good enough at those sizes. So 4.5" is a nice medium. MS is all about crippling their partners on the mobile front, so it seems.

If I recall correctly, Microsoft (most likely Joe Belfiore) said that the Windows Phone team was stretched... which, to me, suggests that it doesn't have enough staff, and the higher-level management doesn't really understand how many people are required to keep pace with the mobile world. Apple is rumored to have shuffled OS X team members to help with iOS 7's overhaul, and by all indications they'll be on time -- why can't Microsoft do the same?
 
Yup, I just don't understand why can't Microsoft deliver on a screen size update even back in February. Supposedly, that part of the code is done; but no... let's wait to bundle that in with the rest of the updates at the end of year.

So, HTC can't sell their HTC WP8 phone with that killer screen back in February. And now Nokia's sells will hurt with Lumia 1020. I can guarantee you that Nokia would have liked a 4.7" or 5" phone, but they couldn't because 720p isn't good enough at those sizes. So 4.5" is a nice medium. MS is all about crippling their partners on the mobile front, so it seems.

What do you mean? 720p would be perfectly capable at 4.7". 800x480 on my 720 is just fine and it's 4.3", even 720p videos look much better than 480p. You need like a magnifying glass to see the individual pixels. With 720p screen the 720p videos would look even better, can't imagine needing any better resolution for a <5" phone screen.
 
What do you mean? 720p would be perfectly capable at 4.7". 800x480 on my 720 is just fine and it's 4.3", even 720p videos look much better than 480p. You need like a magnifying glass to see the individual pixels. With 720p screen the 720p videos would look even better, can't imagine needing any better resolution for a <5" phone screen.
umm... Denial much?
 
Back
Top