The Nokia Lumia 1020 (Eos) Thread

Just ordered mine as well, haven't spent this much on a phone I intended to keep in a long long time. Was kinda pissed I couldn't put it on my amazon store card.

I wish they had the color options of the 920s though, I love my cyan, settled for yellow, figure I won't misplace a bright yellow phone very easily.
 
I can't wait until more accessories are made for Lumia 1020. I can totally imagine someone is going to make a DSLR lens adapter, 1020-specific lens adapters & kits (ex. custom made lens specifically just for the 1020; fisheye, macro/super-macro/semi-microscopic, and telephoto would be cool!), external timelapse machine with motors (something that mechanically pushes the shutter button, and slowly moves the 1020 across a rod over time at an operator-defined speed), hard waterproof chassis (like the chassis GoPro devices are in), infrared filters, circular polarizers, external & remote flash (there is BlueTooth and USB capabilities)...

Nokia did a superb job in the design and intentions of this device. They didn't forget to provide an easy way to mount this on a real tripod of standard threading, and have a handheld grip accessory with the intent of making photography easier (extra battery juice +1 bonus). I love how they went all out in the camera aspect of the phone (1/16000 shutter speeds, great Xenon and LED flash, zoom, overall quality of photo resolutions, IS, backlight feature, and other things) -- they really did it! Everything about my Windows experience is 5/5. I'm not a real App heavy person, so I don't have a problem here. I understand now why Nokia says Microsoft ought to focus more on the Windows Phone department -- not in any bad way, it is already great as it is -- but that with additional focus Microsoft could really easily bring out a remarkable competitive beast from this cellular OS.
 
Last edited:
As an amateur photographer this phone has intrigued me for a few weeks now. For those interested, here's a PDF on the technology and how it works.

Nokia - Pushing the Boundaries of Digital Imaging

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezIZjFt80kQ
lol. The CG animation is amazing. The music is also emotionally captivating. Together, especially around 0:30 in the video, it feels like the spirits of humanity are on the brink of extinction through some supernova ion cannon about to blow civilizations to nebula dust and the end of this long 100-episode anime series is nigh.

Nokia made such a masterpiece!

*wipes tears*
 
it feels like the spirits of humanity are on the brink of extinction through some supernova ion cannon about to blow civilizations to nebula dust

Cut to scene of dude sexting a picture of his junk with a Lumia 1020.

How much harder would it have been to make this a 42-Megapixel camera? Nokia's missing out on the Douglas Adams-geek/fan market.

Q:What smartphone should I get?
A: a 42!
 
I want a Lumia 1020... tired of carrying around a point and shoot with me to take pictures of my car and other stuff. Too bad my contract isn't up yet.
 
After taking some pictures with this phone I would be terrified of seeing that much detail on anyone's junk.

Not the phone for the Brett Favres and Anthony Weiners of the world.
 
heh, I dropped my 1020 and the Gorilla glass shattered. Fortunately, my phone is less than 14 days old (less than 7 actually) and I got AT&T Insurance (had a feeling I'd drop my phone considering how brutal treatment I gave my iPhone 3GS in its OtterBox in the past 2-3 years).

It isn't just the Nokia Lumia 1020, but pretty much any other smartphone. It is frustrating how they don't make the Gorilla glass thick enough to withstand shattering from basic damage. I've seen several YouTube videos on Gorilla glass, and what I learned is that every millimeter of thickness in Gorilla glass makes a HUGE difference. For phones like the Nokia Lumia 1020 and the Apple iPhone 5, they should make the Gorilla glass 1mm or 2mm thicker, seriously. Would make a huge world of difference.

While there is an OtterBox for the Nokia Lumia 1020 (and its huge, mind you), there is no OtterBox or other brand drop-protection chassis that is built assuming you want to have the battery+photo grip accessory attached to your Nokia Lumia 1020 all the time (like I do!). :(

EDIT: I am unable to find the Nokia AC-60U MicroUSB wall charger for North America / United States anywhere. This is what came with my device.

EDIT2: $17 for a genuine Nokia CA-190CD USB to MicroUSB cable (this is what came with my 1020)..

EDIT3: It's a shame Nokia didn't implement conductive charging into the PD-95G, and it also stinks that there isn't an OtterBox case for when you have the PD-95G and Lumia 1020 together.
 
Last edited:
The screen on Lumia 920 is really thick, that is one reason why it is heavy. However, glass has rather poor shock resistance even though it can be hard to scratch.
 
Just some thoughts about my experience:

If you are a user who doesn't ask for much and cares only about text messaging, receiving and sending phone calls, being able to send and receive e-mails, then this phone will be good for you with a couple extras (good camera, decent Facebook app).

This can play music too, but the formats which you can play are limited (but not as limited as a Creative Zen Vision:M MP3 player), and there are very limited controls on the music player and playlist management of music. If your music is properly tagged, you shouldn't encounter much beef to put up with. Otherwise, there isn't any straightforward way to create and manage playlists -- you can't use Microsoft Zune to manage your stuff. I haven't tried Windows Media Player to a deep enough extent, but from basic toying I still haven't figured out how to create playlists with more control.

You can create playlists on the phone by browsing to your phone --> Music --> whatever --> select all the tracks in an album --> right click --> create playlist. You name it right there and then (I don't think you can modify this easily from the device itself), and when you rename the file it will not show the file as having been renamed (it will remain as "New Playlist.pls" or whatever) but this change will be shown through your device music playlist page. In addition, this file is 0 bytes. There isn't anything you can do to change the order of tracks; this is a problem because some of the albums I created playlists for have the last three tracks at the beginning of the playlist (due to alphabetization of Folder view).

Another thing that I miss from Apple iPhone is the clock. On Apple, you had a native count-down timer, alarm, stop-watch, and multi-clock (be able to add multiple timezones) app.

There are also a lot of apps in the Microsoft Store that were not designed for Windows Phone 8, but rather an earlier version such as Windows Phone 7.5. Avoid these apps because they will have interface bugs (some that will prevent you from further using the app) and other incompatibility issue. There are some apps that extend support to WAV, FLAC, OGG, and other formats -- but the problem is that they won't play music that exists locally on your phone; they stream music over the internet/data plan whether it be from some cloud-based website or SkyDrive.

In addition -- http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1776764 -- Windows Phone 8 as of right now, and the Nokia Lumia 1020 with GDR2 does not have support for bluetooth keyboards (and as I hear, many other bluetooth devices), even though the phone has bluetooth capability. Makes it kind of useless, eh? I wanted to use OneNote on my phone for writing personal/private journal things via a bluetooth keyboard.

Camera-wise, I really like it. Since I'm a nut for scientific technology like this and not too big on apps / easy to be content and accept things for what they are, I have no thoughts about ditching the Nokia Lumia 1020. Compared to my DSLR, there are a couple thing: (1) this Nokia's camera certainly does outperform most DSLR in low-light performance, and (2) aperture is capped to f/2.2 -- and if you have no experience in photography, let me tell you that even though the photos are great, I have a sneaking suspicion that part of the "great low-light performance" is due to having such an open aperture. Photography-wise, f/2.2 isn't great to use for very much but portrait photography. Practically, you want apertures like f/7.1 and f/8.0 in general, and f/10.0 and f/11.0 for landscape. You can get by with f/4.0 (many lens can only open up this much) when compromise is required, but using apertures as open as f/3.2, f/2.8, f/2.2, etc -- that's ARGH for someone conscious about this like I. If you have no idea what I am talking about, go to http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.2-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx and scroll down to the picture of the young lady -- you can move your mouse over a range of f/ apertures to see what each would look like and how aperture affects the image.

Camera: don't be discouraged by the above paragraph. If you don't want to haul expensive DSLR equipment around (or one at all), this camera is good for you and very comparable!

Apps and functionality-wise: this may be different for you! You may be the type of person that should wait for the next "Nokia Lumia 1020" + GDR3 + WP 8.1 releases at this time.
 
I'm on At&T and my contract on my iphone 4s is just now expiring. The 1020 is really appealing - I use the camera a lot and really like that I can have a phone that takes quality pics. I picked up a Nokia Lumina 520 Go Phone (no contract - my sim from my iPhone worked fine) to see if I can live with a Windows phone. I am really missing some of my favorite apps but I'll give it some more time to see how I feel. Just on it's own the Windows OS is pretty easy to use and runs very smooth.
 
Another thing to report regarding the built-in music player's mediocre'ness: point blanc, there is no way to seek.

Oh, you accidentally hit the back button and your current track is replaying from 0:00? Great, ok, *swipes finger on bar where it shows how far into the track it is to try start off 1-2 minutes into the song* ... nothing happens.

See http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/202621-seeking-tracks-videos-music-player.html for the same complaints.
 
Sure you can seek. Just keep the skip back/forward pressed down. I just hope they add seek bar though.
 

Just to ask because I haven't researched it much, when you host pictures what hosting site are you using?

Pictures with a lot going on in them are hitting 15 plus megs each for me with my 1020, and imgur only has a 10 meg allowance, so I have to shrink them, and I feel like I lose detail.

Do you know of a hosting site that would link to forums but doesn't have a 10 meg limit, I like imgur because they strip the metadata from pics(i think).
 
also what you want to accomplish with that lighting, for the cost outlay, you are better off just buying an led under counter light and replacing the whole unit.

probably cheaper than retrofiting/making your own led strip light with fluorescent pin contacts.
 
Just to ask because I haven't researched it much, when you host pictures what hosting site are you using?

Pictures with a lot going on in them are hitting 15 plus megs each for me with my 1020, and imgur only has a 10 meg allowance, so I have to shrink them, and I feel like I lose detail.

Do you know of a hosting site that would link to forums but doesn't have a 10 meg limit, I like imgur because they strip the metadata from pics(i think).
I use my own hosting. Best decision I've made, haven't used any free image host like ImageShack or Photowhatever for about a decade now. It's awesome to be free of limits and stupid nonsense, and be in complete control. No watermarks, no linkage, yes for direct/hot linking, etc.

I currently use DreamHost to provide me the resources.
 
More information about the camera:

For those that do not have experience in photography, the quality of photos this camera takes is stellar and whether or not you will or want to go into the field or hobby of photography, this is a good starter.

For those who have experience in photography and are OCD/detail-tuned, the f/2.2 aperture might bother you every now and then. (Still good camera!) I do not know how much of a different the 'backside-illuminated image sensor' (BSI, BIIS, BSIIS -- whatever you want to call it) makes a difference. I will need to go out with my 85mm f/1.2L lens and try taking some f/2.2 shots alongside my Nokia Lumia 1020 to see if the shutter speeds are really the same or something. Speaking of which, I need to order a camera hot shoe mount for my Canon T3i (which btw has a low light performance of ~800 ISO). Aaand, speaking of noise, I have observed that even at 4000 ISO, the noise isn't anywhere near as NASTY and UGLY as my Canon T3i pushing upwards at 3200 --> 6400 --> 12800. I will provide a few photo examples of 100 ISO vs 4000 ISO using my Nokia Lumia 1020 at full resolution (not just 5 MP JPEGs). If I'm not mistaken, 5 MP is still good enough for decent quality ~ 6.5" x 10" prints.

Another thing that I'm really digging about the camera is the shutter speed capability. High-end Canon DSLRs will max out at 1/8000. This camera is capable of doing 1/8000 and 1/16,000 !!! (As far as doing burst shots, I have yet to see if that would be possible.) I have a Philips Sonicare HX9332/05 DiamondClean Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, and with flash I can capture completely still blur-free nylon fibers of my toothbrush while it's running. (Will need to provide a photos at multiple shutter speeds). Though one thing that slightly saddens me is that the exposure maximum is 4 seconds. :( If only it could be a higher limit! I need to go out to the country-side where my parents live to see how capable this phone is at taking nightsky shots (this camera's 26mm focal length is suited for the job!).

The zoom is pretty fine too, but I'm fairly sure that the way zoom works is by taking advantage of the 41 MP CCD sensor and essentially performing a crop. No optical zoom. But compared to most phones that can't "zoom" and don't have a CCD sensor close to the size of this phone's camera, this is still an improvement, right? (Yes)

In the "Settings" section of the camera there are two pages -- pictures, and videos. Under pictures you have:

Framing grids - Off, Rule of thirds, Golden ratio, Crosshairs, Square
Aspect ratio - 4:3, 16:9
Capture mode - JPEG (5 MP), JPEG (5 MP) + (34 MP)
Detect faces - On, Off

For videos you have:

Framing grids - Off, Rule of thirds, Golden ratio, Crosshairs, Square
Resolution and frame rate - 1080p/30fps, 1080p/25fps, 1080p/24fps, 720p/30fps, 720p/25fps, 720p/24fps
Audio bass filter - Off, Default (100Hz), Strong (200Hz)

So far on my list of content to provide:
* Colorado & Denver trip photos
* Denver streets side-view video
* ISO 100 vs ISO 4000 comparisons
* Nightsky benchmark
* Philips ultrasonic toothbrush shutter speed tests
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
NOTE regarding photos in this post -- I deleted the original photos so I had to download these from Facebook (much lower resolution than what the Nokia Lumia 1020 is capable)

Cracked Nokia Lumia 1020 after drop onto concrete from ~3 feet
http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/NokiaLu...1307/998932_10201777538620581_608426882_n.jpg

Flowers
http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/NokiaLu...07/1172512_10201779110059866_1192680996_o.jpg

Someplace on our way to the mountain of Colorado
http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/NokiaLu...07/1120045_10201762982536688_1442337029_o.jpg

Eagle Lake camp in Colorado
http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/NokiaLu...307/1115978_10201770625367754_801524903_o.jpg

My Fenix RC40
http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/NokiaLu...07/1004845_10201771503949718_1983449333_n.jpg

Another shot of Eagle Lake camp in Colorado
http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/NokiaLu...307/1097931_10201776795802011_760116678_o.jpg

And another shot
http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/NokiaLu...07/1172533_10201776801482153_2099410017_o.jpg

Hot dog in Denver, CO
http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/NokiaLu...1307/1097061_10201778496244521_42045512_o.jpg

Denver, CO: Bicycle figure made of metal wires
http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/NokiaLu...07/1097272_10201783125320245_1148791536_o.jpg

You can find more photos at http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/NokiaLumia1020_ColoradoTripFacebookPhotos_201307/ from my Colorado trip that I took with my Nokia Lumia 1020. I will be providing more [other] photos later that are original files straight from my phone (using 5 MP + 34 MP setting).
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The color pop of this camera is very impressive, reminds me of the upgrade I got in a phones camera when I went from a Moto RAZR to a Sony 810i (which had a dedicated camera button!).
 
I can't wait to see the successor for this, it is going to be pretty awesome for sure. 1020 already takes awesome pictures for what it is.

By the way, the new camera app added stereo audio recording support for Lumia 920 too.
 
A small thing, but what I find disappointing is the 15cm minimum focus distance. :( Just a photographer's pet peeve.

My Canon 17-40mm f/4L has a minimum focusing distance of like 3-4cm (it's crazy!)
 
Ugh, I have a problem with my 1020. It only plays to right channel audio now :( Not happy about this at all. I haven't done anything to it to damage the 3.5mm output jack either. Was working fine earlier today.

EDIT: The last place it worked fine was my car, so I went back to my car, plugged it in, set the balance on left-right car speakers and front-forward car speakers to middle/0/equally balanced. No dice -- only hearing it on right side of car. Earlier yesterday (Sunday) when it was working fine I adjusted the balance in the car to go to the right-side (away from me). Before I got home, I set it back to balance and it was working fine, but only now I realize something else. During that ride home only a couple or few times for a split second did my music cut out on one side of the ehicle (I didn't think there was anything wrong, shrugged it off as being the same as when you disconnect the 3.5mm audio cable from the phone and for a split second it plays your music on the phone's speakers before cutting out).

If I carefully insert my headphone jack with like 3 to 5 mm left to go, it will play on both left and right sides -- but I think it is missing the full effect of bass or something because if I push it the rest of the way in like it is supposed to be, for a 1-2 split seconds I hear the audio the way that it should be before it cuts out on the left side and only plays on the right.

I am extremely unhappy about this. I have had an iPhone 3GS for 2-3 years before this and *NEVER* had an audio jack issue. If the Nokia Lumia 1020 has a jack this weak, forget it bro, not even for the camera. I would gladly have my iPhone 3GS over this.

EDIT2: After trying to file a claim with Asurion (AT&T Insurance) website, it gives me a webpage saying:

" Based on the information you have provided, your device may be covered by warranty. Please contact AT&T directly at 1-800-801-1101. "

I shouldn't have to pay for this -- I consider this a defect of the product. When I dropped my first Nokia Lumia 1020 and shattered the Gorilla glass, that was indeed my fault and I certainly deserved to pay for it ($200 was better than paying full retail price or the $400 I spent for 2-year contract w/ phone). But this, this is ridiculous. Will be calling AT&T when I can.

EDIT3: Awesome, phone is being replaced free through warranty for the audio cutting out on left side. Technician told me that they haven't really received any complaints about the Nokia Lumia 1020 -- even the audio cutting out on one side. This should be good then, because it had me worried that this would be a problem with the Nokia Lumia 1020 in general. When I did Googling, I didn't find anything for the 909/1020, but issues about the 920 having audio cutting out on one side issues did popup.
 
Last edited:
I just ordered a black 1020 here in the UK.

I was very happy to find out that the O2 (carrier) 1020 is 64GB :)))))

Does anyone have a good link to an article that explains camera settings for n00bs?

ISO, White Balance, f whatever, are all things I have no idea about.

Would love to use the 1020 as a starting point to learn about this stuff.
 
no servers
I just ordered a black 1020 here in the UK.

I was very happy to find out that the O2 (carrier) 1020 is 64GB :)))))

Does anyone have a good link to an article that explains camera settings for n00bs?

ISO, White Balance, f whatever, are all things I have no idea about.

Would love to use the 1020 as a starting point to learn about this stuff.
Not to be a jerk, but "Google it" applies here. That's how I learned. I have done some Googling for you..

I searched for "what is ISO":
* http://digital-photography-school.com/iso-settings
* http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403142,00.asp

I searched for "what is f number":
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

That leads (spawns) me to search for "f stop", and "aperture":
"what is aperture" --
* http://digital-photography-school.com/aperture
* http://photographylife.com/what-is-aperture-in-photography
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture
* http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407408,00.asp

Okay, when searching for "f stop" you might come across some results that are too technical and confusing. Was for me when I was in your position wondering about the same things. I really didn't read anything, sometimes I skimmed but if it's all technical and not enough pictures or simpleton language I didn't pay as much attention to it sometimes.

In scenarios like aperture (f/#) I would also want to see visual examples, so I searched for "aperture comparison":
* http://www.diffen.com/difference/Aperture_vs_Shutter_Speed
* http://regex.info/blog/2013-07-26/2291
* http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/a-quick-comparison-of-aperture-bokeh.html

But you probably wouldn't have thought of searching for keywords "aperture comparison" -- I know I didn't. That was a little harder for me to grasp and understand. Let me make this easy for you:
* http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-400mm-f-2.8-L-IS-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Scroll down to where you see this picture:
f28.jpg


Beneath that picture you have f/2.8, f/4.0, f/5.6, f/8.0, f/11.0, f/16.0 in text. Move your mouse over them and compare the images using each aperture. That is how aperture affects the image. If you have a smaller number (ex. f/2.8), you get a blurrier background + more light goes through the lens, which makes you can take the picture faster (ex. 1/1000 of a second instead of 1/100 of a second, or 1/100 of a second instead of 1.0 seconds -- this is shutter speed).

ISO = lower is better (but requires more time for shutter speed and/or more light for aperture [ex. f/2.8 instead of f/8.0]), higher introduces more noise into the picture (but requires less time for shutter speed and/or less light for aperture [ex. f/2.8 instead of f/8.0])

f/#.#, aperture = lower number value means the physical shutter of the lens is opened up to physically allow more light through the lens, which means you can also take pictures faster (shutter speed is like 1/100 instead of 1.0 seconds) but your background is also blurrier (often called bokeh).

Shutter speed, exposure = how long do you want your image exposed; it will take time to get used to different shutter speeds like 1/4, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/250, etcetera, that is all I can say. Just do your best, try, and pay attention to the settings you are using (in Windows you the image file from the 1020 will tell you the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO used to take that photo)

The perfect extreme would be 100 ISO (typically the smallest value on DSLRs) all the time, but this isn't always possible because current technology has its limits when it comes to inadequate lighting. The aperture depends on whether you are wanting to be artistic or not -- otherwise you would want f/8.0 - f/11.0 to achieve the same familiarity you have with those point and shoot mommy's cameras (but technically and actually those P&S cameras often use an aperture like f/5.6 or f/4.0 -- the reason they still look good is because of their focal length).


Focal length, what is that? Google it! "what is focal length"
* http://imaging.nikon.com/history/basics/19/01.htm

So basically, when it comes to DSLR lens, you have many lens for different purposes. You may hear about a 18-55mm lens, 50mm lens, 55-250mm lens, 70-200mm lens, etcetera. If it is a lens that only has one millimeter value (ex. 50mm), they are known as prime lens. You cannot zoom with those lens. With a lens like 18-55mm, you can zoom from 18mm all the way to 55mm.

What does that mean, the part of "zoom from 18mm" -- well I don't exactly know myself, but what I do know is that the lower the number the 'closer it is to you'. Like if it was 17mm, it would feel like the picture was taken from the back of your camera / your chest ... it looks very wide angle. This, as opposed to like 50mm or 85mm or 250mm -- if you try using a 50mm to take pictures inside your house or of your hotel room in Singapore or whatever just in general indoors -- you might feel that the picture/image (while you are trying to take the photo) is "too pushed in" or "too zoomed in" for it to be of practical use. Video cameras might have a lens like 18-1200mm (partially making this up) -- that means that they can zoom out to a very wide angle / you can see everything shot, and they can zoom in so far you could probably use 1200mm to see what is going on inside a building without anyone being able to see you or realize they're being watched.
 
Wow awesome post. thanks a bunch.

btw, i have heard of google, but for a n00b the info I find on taking pictures is usually way above my head.
 
Wow awesome post. thanks a bunch.

btw, i have heard of google, but for a n00b the info I find on taking pictures is usually way above my head.
It was all above my head too, so anytime I didn't understand something I would single it out and Google it to try understand it, then go back to the parent topic and attempt to reread again. ;o I attribute a bulk of my knowledge thanks to Google.

The aperture and shutter speeds can be used creatively. Sometimes a photographer wants a deep bokeh (low f/ number between 1.2 and 2.8) to emphasize focus on something, or may want to capture something grand (landscape) with a higher number aperture (8.0 - 16.0). Maybe he wants to capture some motion in his photo even though he might be able to afford a 1/2000 or 1/4000 shutter speed, so he manually sets his shutter speed to be something like 1/100 (he then has to compensate for it by setting ISO very low, to like 100, and possibly keeping the aperture down in lower ranges like 3.2 - 5.6). With some cameras, like my T3i which is limited to 1/4000 shutter speeds and 100 - 12800 ISO (25600 boostable I think), I have been in situations where my shutter speed (1/4000) was the bottleneck and my problem -- ISO already set to 100, either couldn't set aperture low enough (1.2 on my 85mm) or didn't want such extreme bokeh (ruins focus of photo, can't capture what I'm trying to get). Only solution would be using neutral density (ND) filters that reduces some amount of light entering the lens or a new camera body capable of supporting 1/8000 of a second shutter speeds.

The 1020 can do 1/16,000 of a second, but unfortunately is limited to a maximum of 4 second exposures. ISO goes from 100 to 4000. Aperture is locked at f/2.2 or something (can't remember now). The bokeh doesn't appear as evident like it might on a 70-200mm lens because this camera has a very ultra wide angle lens (think less than 24mm).

Also, forgot to mention one thing: if someone mentions 35mm, they might be referring to the CCD sensor of the camera. Traditionally, the older cameras have had large sensors identified as 35mm full frame sensors. Many DSLRs feature APS-C crop frame sensors (1.6x zoomed in to what a full frame image capture would be). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor Full frame sensors are physically larger than APS-C crop frame sensors.
 
Last edited:
Yea my lumia 1020 started doing something weird yesterday(and I'm on vacation so I will not be able to go to an att store till the weekend).

My physical camera button works fine in the os, windows camera app, and nokia smart cam app. In pro cam if you try to take a picture with the camera button the phone just keeps taking them until you back out of the app. App works fine using the onscreen keyboard. I've rebooted, reset the camera from the app, uninstalled and redownloaded the app, and hard reset the phone twice. Does it with the factory image version and after updating pro cam.

The nokia software to reimage their phones doesn't seem to run right on my windows 8 install either. I'm hoping I can get att to reload the factory image and see if that fixes it when I get back in town. Sucks as the phone has been doing great so far.
 
Oh, I didn't post here?

I would like to say that today my phone decided to "die". I didn't see it do it. I have manually powered off my phone before and manually powered it back up. This time there was literally no sign of ANY life. Not even powering through Nokia charger, or USB connection to laptop. I've tried every key combination I could find through Google and common sense stuff to try on my phone. Nothing worked, no hints of what would have caused this either.

I was going through AT&T's help pages later in the evening to get information about getting a replacement. It gave me a phone number after hitting 'no' to the question "Did this resolve your issue?" a handful of times as well as a link to Windows Phone forums. I checked out the forums and observed someone had a thread about the Nokia 920 not powering on. http://forums.att.com/t5/Windows-Discussion-and-Support/Lumia-920-wont-power-on/td-p/3358245

I saw this post:
Just asa heads up to others. I read on the WP Central forums of others having this same issue. I had installed Nokia Drive Beta from the store and some are saying this is what locked the phone up.

Holding down the volume key and power or a few seconds resolved the issue. The phone booted up and I was able to charge it.

I tried it for giggles not expecting anything because I've probably already tried it, but it worked. Phone vibrated. NO WAI. Screen turns on with AT&T logo. <3

Nothing wiped or lost either. I don't know what happened. My battery was doing fine around the time I discovered it was powered down / something was wrong. I think it happened sometime around when I clocked out and left my workplace. I don't remember looking at the screen of my phone (or if I saw anything on it) after I clocked out and was walking out of the building. I discovered something was wrong when I got seated in my car and was wanting to check the current time / put on some music. Before I clocked out, I know I had it out of my pocket and had the wrist strap around one of my wrists. I wasn't being rough with it (haven't been rough with this one at all). I can't remember if there was anything wrong then either; I was standing near my boss' office half-involved in a phone conference with management at the time. Before that, I was sitting at my desk. Before that, I was up at the Secretary of CEO's desk assisting her with getting Microsoft Publisher to print 11x17 tabloid booklets correctly; I know it was working then after I had finished helping her. This is a time span of 30-45 minutes to the moment I was in my car and realized something was wrong with my phone. (Actually it was about 5-10 minutes later while I was on the road going home.)
 
Hello pixelpeepers! ISO comparison -- tell me which one is ISO 100 (0.67 second shutter speed) vs ISO 800 (1/10 second shutter speed) without downloading and looking at metatags ;)

http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/MamaJea...iginals/WP_20130921_14_14_06_Pro__highres.jpg

vs

http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/MamaJea...iginals/WP_20130921_14_13_14_Pro__highres.jpg

EDIT: You can find all the images at http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/MamaJeans_Medicine_20130921-1431/ and Nokia Lumia 1020 original files at http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/MamaJeans_Medicine_20130921-1431/NokiaLumia1020_Originals/
 
Back
Top