The New EVE: Apocrypha

oscrogo

Limp Gawd
ESPECIALLY now that you can remap your starting attributes :).

Speaking of which...should I respec to a base attribute of 12-12-5-5-5 (int, per, mem, will, cha)? Right now after modifiers, I'm sitting at 19-14-12-13-3 (all rounded off)

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
I'm not too sure, honestly, but I know the new version (beta) of EVEMon will recommend ideal respecs. Setup a longterm plan (like 1 year or more) and then click a button on your training list, and it'll recommend how to respec your attributes.

WarriorX

2[H]4U
After installing demo yesterday, playing first tutorial and the 10 part Molehill mission I'm kinda hooked. Got my 3rd ship to find out I can't fly it with my trial account because of a skill I can't learn. So I just ordered the retail copy from Newegg cuz I like owning a physical copy of something I buy. $37 from Newegg with 60 day time card, so basically $7 for retail package and a few extras.

edit: I had to disable bloom to fix my white flickering asteroid problem. Didn't like HDR+Bloom enabled at same time. All good though since i'm just running Win7 beta.

edit: Is there an [H] Corp?

Yes theres a [H]ard Corp. Visit the channel Hard-Recruiting for more information. To join a channel, there will be a button the left called Mailing list and channels or something like that(not in game atm). Go to channels click join, type it in and it should work.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Welp.....Its official now. I am no longer on the trial account. Bumped that baby up to SUBSCRIBED!!!!

Last night I had some of the most fun Ive had so far (which each day ive played has been fun).

OK Ok.....so im still in newb space....but, I outfitted my Navitis frigate with a new laser type weapon and gave it a frequency crystal (I forget what its called, but its the one thats mid range). Previously, when I encountered other pirates, It was taking a bit of time before I blew them up. When out to mine some more ore and 2 pirates show up. Bam BAM.....theres one dead pirate....BAM BAM BAM and now the other one is dead. I kicked their ass :)

Damn fun game.....

WarriorX

2[H]4U
Welp.....Its official now. I am no longer on the trial account. Bumped that baby up to SUBSCRIBED!!!!

Last night I had some of the most fun Ive had so far (which each day ive played has been fun).

OK Ok.....so im still in newb space....but, I outfitted my Navitis frigate with a new laser type weapon and gave it a frequency crystal (I forget what its called, but its the one thats mid range). Previously, when I encountered other pirates, It was taking a bit of time before I blew them up. When out to mine some more ore and 2 pirates show up. Bam BAM.....theres one dead pirate....BAM BAM BAM and now the other one is dead. I kicked their ass :)

Damn fun game.....

The Navitas is a Gallente mining frigate. Frequencey crystals are used for lasers which are used by Amarr ships. Gallentee use Hybrid weapons. Using the right ship (ship with combat bonuses) and the right weapon and you will increase killing speed. If you like mining dont waste your time in a frigate. Missions are much more profitable at the beginning. Run level 1 missions, get a cruiser and then do level 2 combat missions. Combat missions are given from Agent types: Command, Surveillance, Intelligence, and internal Security, and Security(I dont think I missed any).

If you want to mine later on get a mining barge and then an exhumer.

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
Speaking of which...should I respec to a base attribute of 12-12-5-5-5 (int, per, mem, will, cha)? Right now after modifiers, I'm sitting at 19-14-12-13-3 (all rounded off)

Yes, those are good stats especially for a starter. After a year or 2, you can decide to change them to "max" your skill training times depending on what you want to do.

I'm not a big min/maxer at all, I prefer to have balanced stats, just w/ low charisma. That way I can train what I want, when I want, w/o much of a penalty.

Redshirt #24

2[H]4U
I think I found a bit of a groove today, while coughing and sneezing and so on...so a few hours go by, and here I am with over a million ISK, two Navitas frigates (one modestly outfitted) on top of my original runabout, a shuttle I bought basically by accident, and various other crap I ended up with. The crazy thing about it all is that it's so...serene, in a way. Just wandering around, inexplicably accompanied by techno, mining things and carrying things and finally being able to kill things (if not terribly quickly)...

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
Trust me, this game is deep. Years later I still have not dabbled in everything that can be done and have only visited maybe 1/2 the full universe.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
The Navitas is a Gallente mining frigate. Frequencey crystals are used for lasers which are used by Amarr ships. Gallentee use Hybrid weapons. Using the right ship (ship with combat bonuses) and the right weapon and you will increase killing speed. If you like mining dont waste your time in a frigate. Missions are much more profitable at the beginning. Run level 1 missions, get a cruiser and then do level 2 combat missions. Combat missions are given from Agent types: Command, Surveillance, Intelligence, and internal Security, and Security(I dont think I missed any).

If you want to mine later on get a mining barge and then an exhumer.

I understand what your saying....basically, use the right tool for the job. I have 3 Frigates now. 2 Navitas and the Rookie starter ship. Although I do have enough ISK to buy other ships, for the time being, I didnt want to get my garage full yet. I decided to keep the Navitas for now and inch my way thru the basics of the game and become comfortable with what im doing and what needs to be done. As you know, im still a newb, so I dont have all the names of items memorized or anything, so when I said "laser" I was being modest. Its actually some sort of "beam" weapon...hybrid as you mentioned. I figure I would deck out the Navitas as well as I could and could afford and see where that got me.

As for the mining...Well, to me, its not a "like" or "dislike", its more about gaining the experience of "how". As well as the combat part of the game. Eventually, we all are going to face a fight, so thats more on a "how to" as well. Since im still going thru the newb tuts, alot of them have me going out and mining things...so I figure, ehhh, what the hell....as long as im going to be mining and getting my feet wet with combat, I might as well FIT the ship so it can do both chores at a decent rate.

Right now though.....Im wanting to be able to use some probes and test the water with some drones too. But I have to cough up 150k ISK to get the Astrometrics book first. Going to do that tonight :)

Frostex

2[H]4U
I went Caldari (and everytime I type it, It makes me think of some exotic chinese food in hot sauce, ffs)

Grabbed my first Kestrel last night, I think thats the best attack frigate for the Caldari, loaded that baby up with 4 missile pads and some other kit, had to learn some skills to install a powergrid extender because the ship ran out of power trying to install too much.

Anyway bought about 2,000 missiles of various types and loaded that baby up, pirate encounters following the main story arc are over pretty quickly now, launch a couple of ones to batter the shield off straight away and then a few high explosive ones and bewm!

RagingSamster

2[H]4U
I'm Caldari also. The game at times is slow, but it's blowing by quickly. In three weeks I have bought a Kestral, Bantam, Osprey, Badger, and Retriever. I found an awesome corp (they answer all my stupid questions kindly) and have become a mining fool, (still training to use the Retriever, then need to train up strip miners)

Pretty much following the mining guide

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1020825

I'm mining every chance I can get in the Osprey, and swapping out the miner IIs for missiles and rail guns for faction missions. Having folks in the corp with maxed out refining really helps yields. currently at almost 65M isk and just barely scratching the surface of the surface. (as you can see by the equipping of two MN10 afterburners in my osprey lol)

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
I've had the same white asteroid flicker with Windows7. Vista 64 SP1 does not exhibit this same behavior.

OK...I lied.

She turned on HDR and Bloom in the EVE settings, and now the asteroids pulse bland white circles. :/

Frostex

2[H]4U
Just a note for Win7 users, that I'm playing on Windows 7 with the ATI 9.02 drivers without issue, using 2560x1600 with max settings including HDR and bloom (No AA forced though). This is with Crossfire 4870's

No graphical anomalies that I've spotted so far, and so far always above 100fps while maxed out :)

Argh still 2 1/2 hours before I can get home and play :/

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
I'm Caldari also. The game at times is slow, but it's blowing by quickly. In three weeks I have bought a Kestral, Bantam, Osprey, Badger, and Retriever. I found an awesome corp (they answer all my stupid questions kindly) and have become a mining fool, (still training to use the Retriever, then need to train up strip miners)

Pretty much following the mining guide

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1020825

I'm mining every chance I can get in the Osprey, and swapping out the miner IIs for missiles and rail guns for faction missions. Having folks in the corp with maxed out refining really helps yields. currently at almost 65M isk and just barely scratching the surface of the surface. (as you can see by the equipping of two MN10 afterburners in my osprey lol)

We went Caldari as well. She ended up training a Thrasher, as she was interested in the 7 turret slots. She called me yesterday "I've had it with this game!" - Oh hell...

Apparently she had 2 Shield Boosters, 7 different kinds of rail guns, some Nosferatu energy drain, and I dont recall the low slots. This was evidently not only great for killing, but for getting killed. While she didn't lose her ship, she was tired of warping in, getting one or 2 kills, and warping out. Power was her issue. She'd turn on the shield boosters and that was it - entire ship would shut down.

Fortunately she had downloaded the Eve Fitting tool, but wasn't understanding the numbers. We were able to show, that with her setup - her capacitor was empty in 39 seconds. With no way to replenish - yes, she'd have to warp out and back in every minute.

I was finally able to convince her to try some Damage Control systems, just 1 shield booster, and switched her out to lasers. NOW we're talking! She's out there blasting 7 or 8 ships at a time. She's now trying to show me up in how much she can kill in an encounter. I'll let her know about the weapon grouping - I know she'll go for it :)

I upgraded from my Osprey to a Caracal. Its not speedy, but the 4 missile/rocket bays make for good long range combat, and if the ships break the 10k mark, they get webbed and railed - inside 6k - dual foxfire rocket batteries. :D

We both trained and mounted Salvagers. The extra isk from wrecks has been very helpful :)

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
Just a note for Win7 users, that I'm playing on Windows 7 with the ATI 9.02 drivers without issue, using 2560x1600 with max settings including HDR and bloom (No AA forced though). This is with Crossfire 4870's

No graphical anomalies that I've spotted so far, and so far always above 100fps while maxed out :)

Argh still 2 1/2 hours before I can get home and play :/

That's good information. I decided to wipe the drivers last night, and use the Driver clean program from Guru3d.com. I was able to uninstall, reboot, clean, and reboot again. From here I installed the Vista64 9.2's. No improvement.

I was thinking about wiping and putting the ATI Beta Windows 7 drivers, but given they were clean installed prior to putting EVE on, I'm thinking this wont help.

I'll look to try the older versions. Thanks for the input. :)

WarriorX

2[H]4U
We went Caldari as well. She ended up training a Thrasher, as she was interested in the 7 turret slots. She called me yesterday "I've had it with this game!" - Oh hell...

Apparently she had 2 Shield Boosters, 7 different kinds of rail guns, some Nosferatu energy drain, and I dont recall the low slots. This was evidently not only great for killing, but for getting killed. While she didn't lose her ship, she was tired of warping in, getting one or 2 kills, and warping out. Power was her issue. She'd turn on the shield boosters and that was it - entire ship would shut down.

Fortunately she had downloaded the Eve Fitting tool, but wasn't understanding the numbers. We were able to show, that with her setup - her capacitor was empty in 39 seconds. With no way to replenish - yes, she'd have to warp out and back in every minute.

I was finally able to convince her to try some Damage Control systems, just 1 shield booster, and switched her out to lasers. NOW we're talking! She's out there blasting 7 or 8 ships at a time. She's now trying to show me up in how much she can kill in an encounter. I'll let her know about the weapon grouping - I know she'll go for it :)

I upgraded from my Osprey to a Caracal. Its not speedy, but the 4 missile/rocket bays make for good long range combat, and if the ships break the 10k mark, they get webbed and railed - inside 6k - dual foxfire rocket batteries. :D

We both trained and mounted Salvagers. The extra isk from wrecks has been very helpful :)

There are skills that increase capacitor recharge, they are found in the engineering section on the market. You can also try using capacitor regen modules found in Engineering under ship equipment.

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Energy Management is one I think, theres two important ones. One increases your max capacitor, the other makes it recharge faster.

Capacitor, like shields, has a set amount of time it takes to recharge for each ship, REGARDLESS of the max.

So if you capacitor is 100, and it takes 100 seconds to recharge, you get 1 cap every 1 second.

But if you capacitor is 200, and it takes 100 seconds to recharge, you get 2 cap every 1 second.

Shields work this way too.

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
I'll keep the suggestions for Capacitor recharging in mind for her. We're still swimming in learning all the modules.

She started off as an industrialist, but days after starting decided she liked ship combat, and has had to stop and learn everything that I had by default.

We'll research the Engineering section of the Market at lunch! :)

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
Got the Tractor Beam 1 - just need to train the Science 4 to use it - will be good by tomorrow :)

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
This is where Gallente drone boats shine. They can fill their high slots with tractor beams and salvagers to pull everything in and still tank/attack with drones for full damage. :)

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
That sounds pretty cool.

Best I can do is try to fit my Osprey. 1 Miner2, 1 Salvager, 1 tractor beam, and 1 missile rack for incoming rats.

Its slow as all get out, but that's the best I have for now :)

Figure this way I can mine, salvage, and still hold my own if someone tries to loot one of my kills. In my mind anyway :)

I had a Harpy orbiting me at lunch today, as I was sniffing around unsecured canisters. I figured he was trying to get someone to take the newb bait inside.

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
That sounds pretty cool.

Best I can do is try to fit my Osprey. 1 Miner2, 1 Salvager, 1 tractor beam, and 1 missile rack for incoming rats.

Its slow as all get out, but that's the best I have for now :)

Figure this way I can mine, salvage, and still hold my own if someone tries to loot one of my kills. In my mind anyway :)

I had a Harpy orbiting me at lunch today, as I was sniffing around unsecured canisters. I figured he was trying to get someone to take the newb bait inside.

What is this newb bait you speak of?

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
If you take from someone elses can, they and their entire corp are allowed to attack you and only you, and only you can defend yourself against those that attacked you. So "elite pvp'ers" leave stuff in cans hoping others take it so that they can attack them and pat themselves on the back as excellent "pirates." :p Newbs fall for this all the time of course. It's covered more in detail in the flagging and aggression article I linked earlier.

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
Yeah...they leave open canisters with Ore in em, making you think they "forgot" it. So you get warned about stealing and you think "no one is here...I'll grab and go"...

Then BAM...you're podding home.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Haha...yeah...this happened to me last night.

Just for the hell of it, I went out to some Asteroid location. Didnt find any asteroids but found a pirate. Blew him up and went after my loot. When I clicked on the loot, it was a small scout drone called a Hornet. I tried to put it into my cargo hold but it kept saying it requires a hold of 5 but I only had 3 :(. While I was out there trying to figure out what to do, I must have drifted off from the canister a bit..Next thing I know, I see another ship warp right to my canister and then a few moments later, that dude turns RED and I hear this beeping noise.

Having read some stuff about looting whats not yours...I figured this guy looted my canister and is why he now showing red to me. So, I put my ship into orbit around his and decided to send a message to him, figuring since im in newb space, this guy is probably a newb too. Id just send him a warning....

After trying to talk to him, he replies back asking if I can speak Russian. Heh....I said NOPE....He then says his english not to good. Soooo...I send a simple message that maybe he could understand....

"Hornet.....cargohold.....MINE"

Next thing I know...he replies back....."no no no....wait" and then...LOL......He jettison the canister. I couldnt help but to laugh, you had to be there, it was some funny shit. He didnt speak english very well, but understood why I was racing around him...It was funny as hell when he hurriedly jettisoned the canister. Then, when I looked at it, it has his imprint on it and was telling me if I take it, I will be flagged for stealing....so I was like....ehhh, oh well, no big loss, they only cost 3k ISK, no big deal..So I tell him he can keep it and then I warp back to the station to log off.

HEH....I bet he was like...WTF....stupid american wants to shoot me down for taking his cargo but then I try to give it back and now he doesnt want it....:)

That was some simple fun.....I bet later on in the game, things like this will happen more often. Next time, I think I wont give a warning and just start attacking anyways.....MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
Yeah...there is a guy who floats around in a Punisher around the AKENKEVAS (that is WAY misspelled) Caldari area. He ANNOUNCES in local that he's out to steal, loot, and plunder. He gets dozens of people this way. One guy lost a Bantam, Merlin, AND Badger to this guy cause he didnt understand "can flipping" and was just trying to take his ore to base.

Just sucks that I can't help the victims.

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
So glad I live in 0.0 :p

Empire is for the birds tbh. Bunch of noobs and scammers trying to bait each other.

Once you get used to the game, I'd recommend moving to low-sec or NPC 0.0, where you can still dock. It's really not as hard or "scary" as some people make it out to be, you just want to have a reasonable understanding of the game mechanics. You can always keep a ship and a jump clone in empire anyway, say for mission running.

0.0 small gang PVP is really where this game really shines and is a shit ton of fun.

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
I'd like to get to 0.0 sooner than later, but I just dont trust my combat skills yet, and I've not yet worked with clones yet to see what benefits these give me.

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
Jump clones are a little hard to understand at first, but they're invaluable if you want to be in different regions without needing to manually fly between them.

In a nutshell, there's 2 kinds of clones. Medical clones and jump clones; and they're completely different. Just think of medical clones as "insurance" for yourself, not your ship. If you get "podded" (ie: your little pod gets blown up) you'll want a medical clone that covers the skill points you have. So, say you have 5 million SP, you'll want w/e clone is above 5 million SP. When you get podded, you'll then want to re-"insure" your pod by updating your medical clone, making sure you again buy the one that's above what SP you currently have.

Losing SP sucks, always make sure your clone is updated.

Jump clones actually allow you to "jump" from 1 system to another, every 24 hours. So, I could have a JC in 0.0, one somewhere in low-sec, and say a couple in empire. The standing requirements are a bit of a pain, so I'd recommend using a free service. I used this for a couple of my alts and it went smoothly.

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=939710&page=1

You probably don't need one right now, but you'll most certainly want a few JC's by the time you are a few months old and want to venture out of high sec.

There's a lot to learn in the game and tbh it takes some time. Just stay patient and pay attention the best you can, it will come together sooner or later.

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
I was able to update my clone last night.

I trained the jumpclone skill, but the newb station where I have all my ships/stuff says I am not well liked and thus cannot have a jumpclone at that station.

Kind of a bummer, as I was going to go float over to a .5 space system and see what I can do, but didnt want to have to hop 7 systems back to mine.

WarriorX

2[H]4U
I was able to update my clone last night.

I trained the jumpclone skill, but the newb station where I have all my ships/stuff says I am not well liked and thus cannot have a jumpclone at that station.

Kind of a bummer, as I was going to go float over to a .5 space system and see what I can do, but didnt want to have to hop 7 systems back to mine.

You need something like 8.0 standing rating with a particular Corp to make a jump clone. There are other ways to make them but it involves joining a player made corp.

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
Hmm...well, that's going to be tough in the newbie station, none of em have quests for me past the tutorials! :)

No worries, I was debating on relocating all my stuff to a more well connected system like Kakakela or Sobaseki. Seems now I have a better reason to :)

Thanks!

Version_3

2[H]4U
Hmm...well, that's going to be tough in the newbie station, none of em have quests for me past the tutorials! :)

No worries, I was debating on relocating all my stuff to a more well connected system like Kakakela or Sobaseki. Seems now I have a better reason to :)

Thanks!

If ya like, I can join you on the relocation. I'm in Nourvukaiken but all the missions are beginning to repeat. Since Sobaseki and Kakakela are just a few jumps away, should be easy to move.

Let me know if you like to run missions together.

Are there still free trials for this?
I am always looking for new MMO's to try ou

Yes. Steam has a 21-day free trial and downloading the client directly from the eve online website will get you a 14 day trial.

WarriorX

2[H]4U
Version_3 if you think missions are starting to repeat now, just wait till you do level 2,3 and level 4 missions. :p Get the connection skill under social, it will increase your standing alot and will allow you access to better missions. Try and pick a corp to run missions and stick with it. Jumping around will cost you time.