The New EVE: Apocrypha

Game is starting to get boring. I don't do anything but missions and its pretty much all auto-pilot. Warp to location, lock target click cannons rinse and repeat till dead.

I was kinda hoping that there would be more "hands-on". But everything is automated for you. Sure I can set my waypoints and fly them if I wish, but when something is 27 jumps I as has been the case twice in my epic arc quests it seems easier to turn on the auto pilot and go for a run or get something done around the house.

Of course it's boring doing missions in 1.0-0.5 space.
Try going into 0.4-0.0 systems...but don't take a ship you cannot afford to loose.

Of course it's boring doing missions in 1.0-0.5 space.
Try going into 0.4-0.0 systems...but don't take a ship you cannot afford to loose.

Same thing with PvP. If everything is auto-pilot I'm not too interested in engaging in it.If I could fly and perhaps pit my skill at piloting a ship against someone else's then that would be fun. But clicking orbit and reloading guns every so often just doesn't seem fun at all.

Consider I only have lvl 1 skills and a rifter I'm not too worried about losing a ship, it just it isn't any fun if it is just based on who has better weapons and skills trained. Clicking orbit and just watching a ship fly in circles and the guns auto shoot doesn't not equal fun.

Same thing with PvP. If everything is auto-pilot I'm not too interested in engaging in it.If I could fly and perhaps pit my skill at piloting a ship against someone else's then that would be fun. But clicking orbit and reloading guns every so often just doesn't seem fun at all.

Consider I only have lvl 1 skills and a rifter I'm not too worried about losing a ship, it just it isn't any fun if it is just based on who has better weapons and skills trained. Clicking orbit and just watching a ship fly in circles and the guns auto shoot doesn't not equal fun.

EVE online is not a "FPS" space sim....it's about skills, ship fitting and tactics.
I don't know how this has been unknown to you...but if you base the combat experience on grinding ISK in missions, it's like basing ones view on WoW on the loading screen.

EVE online is not a "FPS" space sim....it's about skills, ship fitting and tactics.
I don't know how this has been unknown to you...but if you base the combat experience on grinding ISK in missions, it's like basing ones view on WoW on the loading screen.

I had a very good idea what EvE was going into it since I used to play it at release. it didn't have PvP back then and with this thread and a couple movies I watched it piqued my interest enough to give it a try. So far it doesn't seem any different to me from back then, except instead of mining all the time I'm running missions now.

While the missions are fun and I love the scenery, it just seems to be extremely automated. You say it takes skill, I guess I'm asking where or when does this pick up. Since you said it isn't an online space sim, I'm guessing you mean it doesn't allow you to fly your ship. No biggy.

Is the skill you speak of in learning how to fit your ship against other ships and just clicking the orbit button and seeing who has the best skills and fittings? I'm not trying to insult your game or what you do since you seem to be getting kinda pissy over my questions, I'm just curious as if there is any more depth to the fighting then clicking orbit and seeing who has the better fittings.

If that is really all there is to it, then I'll just bow out and find something more hands on. No big deal, It just currently feels too automated for me and it doesn't seem to get any better the farther along I go.

Is the skill you speak of in learning how to fit your ship against other ships and just clicking the orbit button and seeing who has the best skills and fittings? I'm not trying to insult your game or what you do since you seem to be getting kinda pissy over my questions, I'm just curious as if there is any more depth to the fighting then clicking orbit and seeing who has the better fittings.

There is a lot more.
Same ship, but different fittings can mean either victory...or getting podded.
Some choose speed, and orbit in tight orbit dealing out most of their DPS at short range...but can't hit squat at +5 km
Some choose missiles and slam you from 100km...out of range.
Some choose ECM...relying on that you can't hit what you can't target.

And some team up.
One will tackle you (web, warp scramblers), one will jam you (ECM) another will drain you energy (Neut) and the others will pound you (DPS givers).

And there is no "OMG377LPWNED" fit.
A battleship can be useless against frigates...it's about knowning your enemy...or at laest have some skill prediction the weak spots in their fitting...so yeah, there is a hella a lot more to combat than just clicking orbit and activating high points...

If that is really all there is to it, then I'll just bow out and find something more hands on. No big deal, It just currently feels too automated for me and it doesn't seem to get any better the farther along I go.

You might just stop now, if you have played the game for years, but still don't grasp it concepts...save you some grief.

Look at it like an RTS, in an RTS you don't control every action your troops make you instead control where they go and who they attack, and how they attack if you look at a more advanced RTS like COH. You don't actually pull the trigger though and engaging on your terms and within your capabilities is more important than anything. PVE and PVP are also vastly different in EVE. Just clicking orbit in most cases is NOT enough to get the job done, there's actually quite a bit of "knowing how to fly" necessary to PVP. Right ammo type, managing your capacitor so that you don't screw yourself mid battle, knowing where that threshold is where you go full on and finish it or have to retreat, etc. I think you should start roaming lowsec and picking fights. :D

Also, swap the damage control for another hardener. Damage controls are only used for PVP tbh.

This is what makes ship fitting fun, there are a million ways to do things, and everyone has a diffferent way they like. Me personaly I will nearly always toss a DCU in on an armor fit, never know when you are going to take the odd damage type. Also I'll personaly never fit a plate and a rep on the same ship. Both setup types beneift much more from having more resists fit than the second tank type. Basicaly think of it this way, the more resists you have you are making your rep have to work less giving you a far more solid long term tank, and on a plate fit more resists solidify your ehp so you can take more hits during a fight.

Just clicking orbit in most cases is NOT enough to get the job done, there's actually quite a bit of "knowing how to fly" necessary to PVP.

In fact Just clicking orbit will get you dead quite quickly in a lot of cases. When you click orbit your ship flys streight to its target until you get into orbit range. This can be very bad, especialy when flying a MWD frig\interceptor. Sure you are super fast and a turret battleship would never be able to get a shot within a mile of you when you are orbiting, but head on with 0 transversal and a balloned signature radius due to the mwd make you a one volley target.

The second way orbit will get you killed I have used to my advantage repeatedly.... what do you do when you are a zelot and have an frig/inti orbiting you faster than your guns can track? Why fly to the nearest Outpost/Station/Astroid of course. :D A good frig pilot (These are few and far between) will manualy fly to avoid the obstical while still keeping velocity up and me in scram range... leaving me still screwed... a normal one will orbit right into it and bounce. Heavy Pulse lasers vs stationary frig ... no contest.

PVP is very dynamic and Fit and SP play only a small part in it. Sure if you take two guys and just slug it out the better fit more sp guy will normaly win. You will find however more often than not that a low sp player with a worse fit who understands the game mechanics and tactics will win over a high sp better fit player who dosnt grasp these concepts.

In fact Just clicking orbit will get you dead quite quickly in a lot of cases. When you click orbit your ship flys streight to its target until you get into orbit range. This can be very bad, especialy when flying a MWD frig\interceptor. Sure you are super fast and a turret battleship would never be able to get a shot within a mile of you when you are orbiting, but head on with 0 transversal and a balloned signature radius due to the mwd make you a one volley target.

The second way orbit will get you killed I have used to my advantage repeatedly.... what do you do when you are a zelot and have an frig/inti orbiting you faster than your guns can track? Why fly to the nearest Outpost/Station/Astroid of course. :D A good frig pilot (These are few and far between) will manualy fly to avoid the obstical while still keeping velocity up and me in scram range... leaving me still screwed... a normal one will orbit right into it and bounce. Heavy Pulse lasers vs stationary frig ... no contest.

PVP is very dynamic and Fit and SP play only a small part in it. Sure if you take two guys and just slug it out the better fit more sp guy will normaly win. You will find however more often than not that a low sp player with a worse fit who understands the game mechanics and tactics will win over a high sp better fit player who dosnt grasp these concepts.

This is kinda what I'm looking for. I'm kinda tired of just clicking orbit, how do you manually do this? I did a mission yesterday where I warped in and basically the rats were 20k out. I clicked my afterburner and flew straight in and while I wasn't in any danger, I lost half my shields before I got within range.

This is what pretty much "woke" me up if you care to look at it that way. If this wasn't an NPC but a veteran EvE pilot I could see myself getting podded pretty quickly since it seems as flying dead on in a straight line is a pretty quick way to die. I just haven't found a way to close the distance without doing it in a straight line, or flying around an asteroid. This is all I'm asking, is how to do this efficiently and effectively as it seems like the only two options for flying a ship is orbit and keep at range options.

You might just stop now, if you have played the game for years, but still don't grasp it concepts...save you some grief.

I want to thank you for your help, but it doesn't seem were communicating effectively. No where have I said I played the game for years. Actually I've played for less than a month now. I did say I used to play back on release. However, the game wasn't very fun back then since it just consisted of mining which could be done via scripts so you never had to play and was pretty much on auto pilot the entire time.So taking a hiatus from a game that has been out for 6 or 7 years which you only played for a month or less back then doesn't really count playing for years.

I created this build during this past week. Thought it would be pretty good....till I was actually INgame and saw added up the actual cost, which was going to be around 27mil. not including the ship.

Start out using what you can afford. I had good results with basic equipment and went with meta 2 'Scout' guns until I could fit Tech II. Tech II gun fitting is a steep SP investment at low levels. It seems that most hisec players go for ships first, fittings later. That can bite you.

Meta 4 modules are more powerful and requires less skill than their Tech II equivalents but the prices are correspondingly high and they don't drop a lot (if at all) in lower level missions.

@Climber - Missioning (or any PVE), mining, trading are generally means of earning ISK or providing goods and services to the PvP players.

From what little I've seen, small-scale PvP in EVE is guerilla warfare; gather intel, find a weakness and strike. There's no cookie cutter mold other than that.

When I get to the right place in EVE I'm going to start re-flipping cans and going after those juicy, faction fit marauders and CNRs that are always griefing noobs. :D

Just started doing lvl 4's in my drake the other day, its pretty tough and slow, if I really want money I will go back to 3's just wanted to test the waters before I bring out my raven....

Im kind of getting second thoughts though I dont think I will be bringing out the raven until I get t2 drones, Am I wrong in thinking that having T2 drones is pretty much a must for lvl 4's?

@Climber - Missioning (or any PVE), mining, trading are generally means of earning ISK or providing goods and services to the PvP players.

From what little I've seen, small-scale PvP in EVE is guerilla warfare; gather intel, find a weakness and strike. There's no cookie cutter mold other than that.

When I get to the right place in EVE I'm going to start re-flipping cans and going after those juicy, faction fit marauders and CNRs that are always griefing noobs. :D

cool thanks Egg. Also I'm focusing more on the fittings as well rather than ships, just because I like the way my rifter looks the best so far haha.

To Climber : http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/TheOrangeGuy/Beginners_Guide_to_Piracy_2.1.pdf

Give that a read, it may peak your interest a bit more....esp since you say you like the Rifter (which I do as well, very cool lookin ship).

So I accidentally took the advice to go to low sec system since I bought something from there and didn't realize where it was until I saw the red dot coming up on the way point.

Well I didn't kill anything but I did engage a red ship and got a few rounds off on him before he jumped out. I didn't have a scrambler or disruptor since I was in PvE mode. but he didn't hurt me and when he saw he was missing so much, I'm assuming that is why, he jumped out of their.

Oh well maybe next time I'll be more prepared.

"So I accidentally" "didn't realize" "until I saw the red dot"

"Well I didn't kill anything" "got a few rounds off" "I didn't have a scrambler or disruptor" "he jumped out of their."

"Oh well maybe next time I'll be more prepared."

This my friend.....Is EVE!!!! You just described it well :D

Each one of the things highlighted here, can be the difference between winning a fight or loosing your ship.

Now ya want more, ehh :) Got a taste of it....tasted good!!

Welp....Brag time again....hehe. Yeah yeah, I know, its not much to brag about to you guys who already kick ass in Missions, but for me, its a very DAMN good feeling to be able to COMPLETE the missions within the time allocated as well as do it without getting killed.

I Finished up the Storyline Mission called Whispers in the Dark. Had no problems at all, even against the drones in the last part of the mission. For all the other newbs out there reading this, I cant NOT stress it to you enough to learn how to KITE your Rats. In short though, a quick lesson in Kiting....get within range to hit them.....HIT THEM.....then do a 180 degree turn, hit the Afterburner and let them follow ya, the whole time shooting their asses. In the last part of that mission, I was one shotting those frigs using only a 250mm Compressed Coil Gun M and a few Beam type lasers.

Nothing brings a smile to your face quicker than locking a target and killing them with one shot.

I had read before people saying Level 2 missions were INSANELY easy. I thought they were just bragging. Truth be told.....they are indeed, INSANELY EASY to complete.

i would also highly recommend that you get your "Retail" skill up to at least level 3....cause all the wrecks your going to salvage is going to give you SO MUCH LOOT, you wont be able to sell it all...at least not all at once. I just now got my Retail up to level 3 last night, all in one game sitting. Took all of maybe 3 total hours and now Im able to sell much more LOOT than I was before.

Im going to do a bit more level 2's untill I get my standing up high enough to recieve level 3's and then the ISK making machine should be in full swing by then.

And, Ive GOT to say it just ONCE MORE.....Nothing beats the feeling of PWNship than ONE SHOTTING a RAT.

Well ran into a mission tonight I can't do. Survivability isn't a problem, it is my dps. Got a mission called Our man Dagan. I just can't crack his shields. I'm using EMP ammo but after a couple hundred missles and a few hundred rounds of ammo I couldn't get past 25% as his recharge rate appeared to be higher than my dps.

Is there anything I can do to strip his shields or maybe drain his capacitor? My little rifter can't be hit, but I'm not doing enough dps. I chose the Gallente captain if that helps at all. I'm at a lost here, was breezing through missions until I came to this one.

Well ran into a mission tonight I can't do. Survivability isn't a problem, it is my dps. Got a mission called Our man Dagan. I just can't crack his shields. I'm using EMP ammo but after a couple hundred missles and a few hundred rounds of ammo I couldn't get past 25% as his recharge rate appeared to be higher than my dps.

Is there anything I can do to strip his shields or maybe drain his capacitor? My little rifter can't be hit, but I'm not doing enough dps. I chose the Gallente captain if that helps at all. I'm at a lost here, was breezing through missions until I came to this one.

He takes a long time to wear down, but after a while his capacitor becoems empty and he can boost his shields...I did this mission in a Calaral fitted with 5 named t1 launchers firing Caldari Navy Bloodclaw missiles, took a while...but finally he went down.

Edit: AFAIK, dragan has good EM and THERM resists, opt for KIN and EXP damage.

as Atech says, try switching ammo type. also use Republic Fleet rounds & Caldari Navy missles for some extra DPS.

Could also try changing your fit, add another gyrostab /remove DCU for example... options, few extra % and counter-fits are what its all about.

as Atech says, try switching ammo type. also use Republic Fleet rounds & Caldari Navy missles for some extra DPS.

Could also try changing your fit, add another gyrostab /remove DCU for example... options, few extra % and counter-fits are what its all about.

I would not recommend using faction ammo in missions. In pvp faction ammo is nice to have though.

extra 20-40k isk to break the tank and save yourself fannying around for another 30mins.. worth it in some situations imo.

but yea, guess generally not worth it as a rule.. pvp obviously different story.

Here's some great videos to watch to see the PVP side of things in action. The announcers give a play by play so you can see what's involved in fighting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40hu3rkRy5Q

It's more Star Trek style fighting than Star Wars, but maneuvering into position is a big part of it and you can see the RTS elements in play.

Ok will do. Was trying to think of things to fit it with that would add more damage. I already have 1 gyrostab, I guess I never tried but won't I get a penalty for using 2 gyro's. Ok I'll try explosive ammo, got a bunch of it sitting in a station somewhere. Right now my rifter has 200mm plate, dcu1, gyrostabilizer 1, shield extender, shield hardner, afterburner, 3 200mm prototype 1 autocannons, and 1 rocket launcher.

drop the 200mm plate for a 2nd gyro maybe, seeing as you are shield tanking ( also try upgrade to meta 2 or 3 named mods - should still be cheap). That will increase your speed/agility and DPS & should be ok if like you say, the incoming damage isn't much to worry about.

You are right about stacking penalties (each sucessive module that impacts same stat is reduced in effectiveness - diminishing returns) but generally 2 of the same mods are ok, for the 3rd it gets into the realm where you can probably use something more useful, 4 is generally a waste.

EFT is useful here, have a play around and see what works best. gl

In the last part of that mission, I was one shotting those frigs using only a 250mm Compressed Coil Gun M and a few Beam type lasers.

Interesting, are you really using lasers and hybrids on the same ship? That's considered a no-no but in the context of missioning it might prove to be useful. Thermal is generally regarded as the most effective damage type to deal overall, and I've had more or less good results with kinetic. Combining the two might be useful, assuming the optimal ranges are similar. You're going to lose bonuses on one wep type (assuming you're flying Caladari or Amarr ships) but the extra damage type may make up for it. Sort of a missiles on rails approach.

If I had skills in lasers I might give that a go.

Regarding skills, connections and social are good to train, plus the "______ Connections" skill (Military, Financial or... Trade?) when you earn enough LP and ISK (15k and 10M, respectively) to pick it up. That will gain you standing faster and get you to your L3/L4 missions.

English please :( What are meta 2 or 3 mods?

Ok, lets take150MM Railguns as an example. Notice how there's like several variations of that gun? Like so:
150mm Carbide Railgun I
150mm 'Scout' I Accelerator Cannon
150mm Compressed Coil Gun I
150mm Prototype I Gauss Gun
150mm Railgun II

Now how are you suppose to know which one is better than the other without spending a ton of time comparing specs and the like? You check their meta level which is provided under the Atributes tab of the item's info. That meta level is pretty much a ranking system for the guns or items. So if you check the meta level for Coil Gun, you can see that its meta level is 3. That means that it's better or ranked higher than the Carbide Railgun with its meta level of 1.

Understand the meta levels now?

If you're selling modules, meta 0-2 stuff usually gets you more ISK if you reprocess and sell it, especially if you have high faction standing. Your reprocessing take is reduced by 5% if your standing is 0 with the faction that owns whatever station you are in (right??) and 0% if your standing is 6 or higher. You'll see this in the reprocessing window. Selling stuff is affected by a set of skills, I think. Thuleman can probably explain exactly how that works.

Meta 0 modules just show a "Tech Level 1" (if I remember that right) in the info screen--there's no "Meta 0" indicator.

Meta 3-5 stuff (and higher) modules are best sold on the market, especially if you travel to a trade hub and list or sell them.

Generally speaking, 'Show Info' is a pretty powerful tool in EVE. Faction standings can be found in your character screen under 'Standings' - checked the 'Liked by' and 'Disliked by' tabs.

...not to get completely off the fitting topic or anything. ;)

Understand the meta levels now?

Sure do. I've been comparing each stat individually to get an idea. For my cannons I've been looking at tracking speed, rate of fire, optimun range, fallout, and the damage modifier. Sitting back from my TV like I do makes for a lot of squinting as I go through those attributes, so having to look at just 1 to get an overall feel of what is better is awesome.

Thanks Danny.

Interesting, are you really using lasers and hybrids on the same ship? That's considered a no-no but in the context of missioning it might prove to be useful. Thermal is generally regarded as the most effective damage type to deal overall, and I've had more or less good results with kinetic. Combining the two might be useful, assuming the optimal ranges are similar. You're going to lose bonuses on one wep type (assuming you're flying Caladari or Amarr ships) but the extra damage type may make up for it. Sort of a missiles on rails approach.

I understand what your talkin about and I do know that usually, its not the thing to do. This however, was a mission specific fitting I did. The rats for this particular mission were weak to EM and Thermal dmg. I already had the Thermal dmg covered by using the Hybrid guns, but there are no EM dmg causing ammo for Hybrids (at least not that I saw, I could have perhaps missed it but I dont think I did). So, although I probably could have still done the mission using nothing but Thermal ammo, using the Beam Laser could add to the dmg and I still needed something with range, I thats why I used the "Beam" lasers. Yeah, I dont get a faction/ship bonus for using them as I do with the Hybrids, but its extra dmg nontheless.

Now, if I were to do some PvP....using a laser of any type wouldnt even cross my mind, it would be Hybrids all the way.

For both weapon types I was using in that mission, both were for optimal ranges and both were getting me good hits sitting at 32km and like I said before...I was getting in some one shotters with them too. :)

Hybrid do kinetic and thermal damage.

That said, I still strongly advise against mixing guns with very few exceptions, missioning not being one of them. Pick your missions more carefully by picking the highest quality agent you can use, and make sure you're taking missions from agents of the race whose ship you're flying as the missions will naturally be easier for you.

To search for agents, follow these instructions.

I still believe for PvE that you don't ever have to mix guns- drones will take care of the small stuff and you want to use your ship's racial bonuses as much as possible.

Hey Kencheeto, Thanks for the link....Interestingly enough and somewhat unbelievable, I actually figured out how to hunt down agents thru the standings tab a while back :) Still good info to know though.

Ive often read that mixing weapons wasnt a good idea, but I still dont quite understand the "why" its a bad idea? Is it just because you dont get your faction/race bonus or is there some other reason/s not to mix your weapons? Granted I havent had a whole heck of alot of experience with battles, but having that laser coupled with my guns really seemed to take out those rats with a quickness. To me, it seems prudent to try and kill them all as quickly as I can to maximize time spent vs. payout. If I can get a mission completed quicker, then I can do more missions in a given window of time I have to allocate for playing.

Thanks again for the link, ive got it bookmarked incase I have one of those "DOH, i forgot" moments :)

I have to admit I love browsing this thread because of the scope of the game, even though I know absolutely nothing about it or what any of the EVE jargon means.

I have to admit I love browsing this thread because of the scope of the game, even though I know absolutely nothing about it or what any of the EVE jargon means.

You should give it a go then Bro!!! WTH, ehh, its a free 21day pass, nothing to loose but maybe the 45min it takes to download :)

I can promise you this much though....The scenery is awesomely breath taking, warping around a system, squinting your eyes cause you looked at the star (some are very bright) and mannnnn....actually warping to a star...ehmm, BADASS!!!!!

Oh, and the gameplay is pretty damn cool tool, esp when you start to realize just how much of a sandbox game EVE really is..

Why just read about it when you can experience it for free?

Back