The Lian Li Gallery

It is quite similar. I think it's a little bigger and the build quality is much better with more features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXTbWtz--ps

It's actually smaller:
Observed dimensions: 533 x 216 x 546mm (from an a10 review)
measuring my RF without the door is 580x210x590mm
And I doubt the build quality is any better, everything on the RF matches everything I've ever seen on any Lian Li case, it's just a one off configuration they made for someone else. The A10 does have a couple nice extra features (removable MB tray, adjustable fan speed, top vent w/ water cooling holes and block plate for the bottom compartment). But you insinuate that the RF is somehow a cheap knock off or reject Lian Li or something, which is definitely not the case.

It's actually smaller:
Observed dimensions: 533 x 216 x 546mm (from an a10 review)
measuring my RF without the door is 580x210x590mm
And I doubt the build quality is any better, everything on the RF matches everything I've ever seen on any Lian Li case, it's just a one off configuration they made for someone else. The A10 does have a couple nice extra features (removable MB tray, adjustable fan speed, top vent w/ water cooling holes and block plate for the bottom compartment). But you insinuate that the RF is somehow a cheap knock off or reject Lian Li or something, which is definitely not the case.

lol, this is obviously a sensitive issue for Rocket Fish owners. I assure you that I think the Rocket Fish's are amazing value for money and I would have got one if they were available in the UK. However, The Rocket Fish is not built to the same standard by any means and if you played with the cases side by side that would be very apparent. I was not intending to insinuate anything but fact.

lol, this is obviously a sensitive issue for Rocket Fish owners. I assure you that I think the Rocket Fish's are amazing value for money and I would have got one if they were available in the UK. However, The Rocket Fish is not built to the same standard by any means and if you played with the cases side by side that would be very apparent. I was not intending to insinuate anything but fact.

So back it up with a fact, you didn't include a single one in your reply. I haven't "played with them side by side" but I've had my hands on plenty of Lian Li's and I fail to see any difference in build quality between the RF and a Lian Li original other than maybe the flimsy motherboard tray in the RF. Every other piece and part is built exactly the same way with the same materials as some member of the Lian Li lineup as far as I can tell. And if you can't even get one in the UK then where exactly are you drawing this experience that they're not the same level of quality from? I paid 60 bucks for mine so I could care less, and frankly if it's significantly lower in quality I'd be amazed, and hard pressed to fathom how a "real" one could be made any better. It might be a sensitive issue for someone who paid retail since I think this case was 280 bucks before it went on clearance and became the hot seller it was at the end, but like I said, for 60 bucks I could care less.

So back it up with a fact, you didn't include a single one in your reply. I haven't "played with them side by side" but I've had my hands on plenty of Lian Li's and I fail to see any difference in build quality between the RF and a Lian Li original other than maybe the flimsy motherboard tray in the RF. Every other piece and part is built exactly the same way with the same materials as some member of the Lian Li lineup as far as I can tell. And if you can't even get one in the UK then where exactly are you drawing this experience that they're not the same level of quality from? I paid 60 bucks for mine so I could care less, and frankly if it's significantly lower in quality I'd be amazed, and hard pressed to fathom how a "real" one could be made any better. It might be a sensitive issue for someone who paid retail since I think this case was 280 bucks before it went on clearance and became the hot seller it was at the end, but like I said, for 60 bucks I could care less.

It was never my intention to be confrontational or to get into an argument about this. I'm off out now but if I get the chance later I'll compile a response. Chill.

I've owned multiple Lians and three Rocketfish cases. With the exception of the V1000/1200/2000 that are built like rocks, the Lian and Rocketfish cases are very similar in build quality. Quality control, maybe not, but build quality is the same. To be honest though, I've never been impressed with the build quality of any Lian Li I've owned.

They're engineering is top notch and their cases look gorgeous but when it comes down to solidity, I've had better. To me, I can live with the build quality because of all other others pros of Lian Li cases but if your argument is based on build quality alone...get real. Maybe it consoles you when you realize you've spent five times what Rocketfish owners paid, for a case that's a little smaller with a different interior layout but essentially the same however, to those who have seen or used both, your statement is a joke.

Umm....Rocketfish = rebagged Lian Li. How can the build quality be different? It's made by Lian Li to begin with. It's not like Lian Li is going to change their operating procedures since it's a case made for Best Buy. If Rocketfish had a hand in it's design, that's the only way I'd see the quality going down due to their choices.

If you have an RF, I'm glad for you. You got a nice Lian Li with a cheaper price and a different name slapped on it. It's better than the others who got a Lian Li with a much higher price and the name VoodooPC slapped on it.

I'm perfectly happy with my Lian Li's. RF didn't come out when I bought my cases and disappeared when I bought my most recent cases.

Skyline, thanks! Looks like the MurderMod code is broken! You would not happen to hahe a similar close-up picture of white sleeving?

I'm not sure they make the non-fray sleeving in white as it's not as consumer oriented as Techflex but if they do I assume it would look something like the picture below (Combination of white and clear Techflex). If you can't find the non-fray in white, you could try two layers of white techflex with a large O.D. and I'd assume it will offer almost complete coverage; it would be stiffer however. I think there's a non-fray "fire retardant" sleeving that's white however it has a black tracer running through it and isn't completely white.

DSC_0017.jpg

For who may consider the PC-9, the 1000HX will fit nicely, but the cable management may be troublesome.

pc95.jpg

pc91.jpg

I may be stuck running the cpu/mobo together beside the motherboard, visible.
pc94.jpg

and yes, the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 cooler will fit.
pc92.jpg

The fan controller switch is right above the hdd cage door, easily accessible.
Overall, a nice mid tower case.

I haven't read all of the argument, but here are a few facts.

1. Lian Li wants the cases they make, badged as Lian Li to at least appear superior to Rocketfish cases. Otherwise there would be no incentive to own a Lian Li over a Rocketfish. This is true of any company that rebadges their equipment for retailers.
2. If the Rocketfish cases were not in fact cheaper, they would not be able to sell for less.
3. The Rocketfish I see here that is comparable to my A10 has several things that do in fact make it 'inferior.' The HDD Racks, the 3.5" bays(vs all 5.25's all the way down on the A10), no airflow partition for the lower level, lack of a motherboard tray(this is HUGE IMO), lack of PSU options. The list goes on, but you get the idea. This is not opinion, this is engineering fact. More time was spent designing the A10 than the Rocketfish, more materials were spent, and easily more machine minutes.

Anyway, that said. There are a number of things that are lacking in every Lian Li case I've seen. I still love 'em and buy them exclusively, but I always find myself cutting them up with my dremel anyway.

My A10, inspired to post by alfieg

Its not a cable managment champ, but function over fashon in this case. Had this case since the my first e6300 when core 2 came out.

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

I haven't read all of the argument, but here are a few facts.

1. Lian Li wants the cases they make, badged as Lian Li to at least appear superior to Rocketfish cases. Otherwise there would be no incentive to own a Lian Li over a Rocketfish. This is true of any company that rebadges their equipment for retailers.
2. If the Rocketfish cases were not in fact cheaper, they would not be able to sell for less.
3. The Rocketfish I see here that is comparable to my A10 has several things that do in fact make it 'inferior.' The HDD Racks, the 3.5" bays(vs all 5.25's all the way down on the A10), no airflow partition for the lower level, lack of a motherboard tray(this is HUGE IMO), lack of PSU options. The list goes on, but you get the idea. This is not opinion, this is engineering fact. More time was spent designing the A10 than the Rocketfish, more materials were spent, and easily more machine minutes.

Anyway, that said. There are a number of things that are lacking in every Lian Li case I've seen. I still love 'em and buy them exclusively, but I always find myself cutting them up with my dremel anyway.

1 & 2 - Economies of scale dictate that Lian Li built the RF with the same tooling etc as their other cases, it wouldn't make any sense to do otherwise, and if you look one over the build uses the same methods. It also wasn't all that cheap when it came out, it started getting noticed when it was slashed down for close out and got progessively cheaper until the final units were sold for around 50 bucks which was a huge steal.

As for #3, everything you've cited are FEATURES not BUILD QUALITY issues. No one ever claimed (that I've seen) that the RF had superior features or comparable features to a particular Lian unit, but I've seen Lians which had basically the same set of "features" as the RF without some of the extras the A10 in particular has. As an example the removable motherboard tray isn't nearly as important in the RF as it's quite a bit bigger than the A10, it has 6 5.25s vs the A10's 7 but it also has 2 3.5s, which is a matter of taste as much as anything. The chamber seperation is a nice feature the A10 has that the RF doesnt, and the modular PS mounting for 2 psus etc is nice. As for the HDD racks, from the reviews/pics I see the A10 has the same 3 drive cage with vibration isolation that the RF has 2 of and then it has a second cage that isn't isolated for 2 drives.

The semantics of "build quality" vs "features" I think is a lot of what caused the argument. You don't compare a base model of one car to the top model with all the options of another car and proclaim the fully optioned car has better build quality because it has better options, you compare two comparable models with the same features and make sure the features work the same. The RF doesn't have "top range" features like SOME lians do, but there are lower end Lians that were pretty comparable in features and build quality both.

1 & 2 - Economies of scale dictate that Lian Li built the RF with the same tooling etc as their other cases, it wouldn't make any sense to do otherwise, and if you look one over the build uses the same methods. It also wasn't all that cheap when it came out, it started getting noticed when it was slashed down for close out and got progessively cheaper until the final units were sold for around 50 bucks which was a huge steal.

As for #3, everything you've cited are FEATURES not BUILD QUALITY issues. No one ever claimed (that I've seen) that the RF had superior features or comparable features to a particular Lian unit, but I've seen Lians which had basically the same set of "features" as the RF without some of the extras the A10 in particular has. As an example the removable motherboard tray isn't nearly as important in the RF as it's quite a bit bigger than the A10, it has 6 5.25s vs the A10's 7 but it also has 2 3.5s, which is a matter of taste as much as anything. The chamber seperation is a nice feature the A10 has that the RF doesnt, and the modular PS mounting for 2 psus etc is nice. As for the HDD racks, from the reviews/pics I see the A10 has the same 3 drive cage with vibration isolation that the RF has 2 of and then it has a second cage that isn't isolated for 2 drives.

The semantics of "build quality" vs "features" I think is a lot of what caused the argument. You don't compare a base model of one car to the top model with all the options of another car and proclaim the fully optioned car has better build quality because it has better options, you compare two comparable models with the same features and make sure the features work the same. The RF doesn't have "top range" features like SOME lians do, but there are lower end Lians that were pretty comparable in features and build quality both.

For gods sake compare the riveting and the grade of alluminium in the images above. case closed

I thought the main difference between RF and LL is that LL uses aluminum while RF cases are steel?

For gods sake compare the riveting and the grade of alluminium in the images above. case closed

Looks like the same 1/8" flush head rivets to me, and I don't really think the pictures show anything that could be used to discern that the aluminum is of a higher quality. Is it a higher rockwell # or thicker or what? I did notice one difference that I'd concede to build quality, the Lians have a corner brace where the RF does not.

I thought the main difference between RF and LL is that LL uses aluminum while RF cases are steel?

RFs are all aluminum as far as I can tell, I didn't find any steel components other than the hardware.

The RF is NOT bigger than the A10, they are the exact same size. The lack of separation, and the 7th 5.25 allows space for the two 3.5 bays. It's simply 'worse' use of the space available. THAT is a build quality issue.
The A10's second HDD rack does have the rubber grommet mounting system, it's just not 'sliding' like the first rack.

In otherwords, the A10 is superior in every way for the space available. You can fit flat out more 5.25" devices, and since when was 3.5" a matter of taste, rather than a matter of 'old tech going by the wayside?' There are little to no 3.5" bay devices that are worth having nowdays.

The RF was being compared to the A10 by the RF owner, and other RF fanboys claiming it's the same as the Lian-Li comparable. Which you are absolutely correct - it is not. The A10 is like buying a Mclaren, and the RF is like buying a Toyota.

Shall we close this argument now? Would be nice to see some more pictures of peoples rigs. I'd like to sincerely apologise for causing this disagreement as it all seems a bit unnecessary to me.

Zoson is right though :p

omgawd liek there's slight differences between the rocketfish and A10. You bought a Toyota Tercel and I bought a Bugatti. ahaha I'm so much l33ter than joo are.

Seriously, nobody gives a shit. They're practically the same thing.

LOL people are comparing Rocketfish to Lian Li, is that a joke? :confused:

and ffs, stay on topic! :mad:

I think people are just pissed we got full tower LianLi cases for $48 and they had to spend $200+

Sure a few compromises were made in features... but are those features worth $150-200?

If you want to compare Lian Li and RF, please start your own thread. I would like to see this thread getting back to Lian Li.

I think people are just pissed we got full tower LianLi cases for $48 and they had to spend $200+

Sure a few compromises were made in features... but are those features worth $150-200?

I think sir you need to check your vision and look at the label of the case, also make sure you check your invoice and/or receipt, and change your pathetic Lian Li Rocketfish signature because to my knowledge there are no "Lian Li Rocketfish" cases.

And like the person above posted, if you want to brag about Rocketfish... make your own thread and do so, because this is the LIAN LI gallery... NOT a Rocketfish gallery last time i checked/posted.

Thanks.

Lian Li built the Rocketfish.

It's like buying a Lexus and a Toyota. Made by the same ppl, but the former has more features than the later. Build quality is exceptional between the two.

FYI, I currently own 4 Lian Li cases.

DSC00206.JPG

DSC00207.JPG

DSC00208.JPG

DSC00209.JPG

I think sir you need to check your vision and look at the label of the case, also make sure you check your invoice and/or receipt, and change your pathetic Lian Li Rocketfish signature because to my knowledge there are no "Lian Li Rocketfish" cases.

And like the person above posted, if you want to brag about Rocketfish... make your own thread and do so, because this is the LIAN LI gallery... NOT a Rocketfish gallery last time i checked/posted.

Thanks.

Lian Li made it... it doesn't have a model number like A05, A10, K7B... whatever... so it's dubbed the Rocketfish. It's the only case Lian Li made for Bestbuy... it obviously didn't sell well at $200+ so they started to close it out... rapidly dropping the price... I bought one at $72, then another at $48 and price-matched the first one, sold the 2nd one to a guy in Canada at my cost + shipping (which came out to about $90)

Get over yourselves, it's a fucking Lian Li case, it's in the appropriate gallery...

It's re-branded... it's not like buying a lexus/toyota... it's literally the same thing with a different logo on the front...

Lian Li and Rocketfish aren't literally the same. They have minor differences.

11-112-122-07.jpg

The Lian Li version of your case. Removeable hdd cages, segregated areas, and random piece of aluminium to lockdown the easy to remove 5 1/2 bay drives.

holy shit minor differences??!?!? omgwebforumragenublulzwtfbbqemogirlhahano!??!

I actually like the layout of the Rocketfish better. :p

The RF is NOT bigger than the A10, they are the exact same size.

215mm x 535mm x 522mm ( W, H, D) PC-A10 from Lian Li's site
207x580x607 From the rocket fish box. it's around 2" deeper and taller. Oh and last time I checked hard disks were 3.5" devices. IE it has room for 3 more of them. (one more in the rack and 2 in the "front". While giving up one 5.25 bay, cuz having 7 CDR/DVDR drives is high on my to-do list...

There's a big blue and white sticker on the box that says Lian Li In (as in Industrial Co) on every one...

holy shit minor differences??!?!? omgwebforumragenublulzwtfbbqemogirlhahano!??!

I actually like the layout of the Rocketfish better. :p

I like having the partition between the drives and mobo area. Most of the heat generated by my comp goes to the lower partition and is ejected out the case.

IMG_0590.JPG

An old pic of my case. Right now, been too lazy to install my GPU waterblock. Even then though, the card is designed to dump the heat out the PCI slot anyways. I just have a single 120 there to pull heat from the memory and chipsets.

Ya, think you're right on that one. Much closer to the A70. Lacks that PCI card support or the case support it's connected to. I prefer the Lian Li interior, but the Rocketfish exterior.

Mr. Mitch: Nice A10. you don't see that case very often and you've got a solid system in it. Those Scythe fans look pretty nice too. They pretty quiet?

Vlad_13: Are you serious? Its made by Lian-Li. It comes in a box with a Lian-Li sticker on it. You're being more ridiculous than the people who want to dig out the RocketFish logo and find a Lian-Li logo to stick on the front of it. Anybody that knows anything about the case knows its a Lian-Li. Does it really matter anyway? Are you that much of an elitist? Lol. I may go dig mine out of my closet and put my system back in it and post in this thread. Just for you.

Back