The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

I would dispute the whole amount with my bank if that was the case. Tell them Newegg sent you a bad board and refuse to resolve the issue.

Well, that's not really true since he could return the board for a replacement...

Return Policies
This item is covered by Newegg.com's Limited Replacement Only Return Policy.

Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days

I'm not saying that a lack of refund doesn't suck, just that it was a refurbished unit after all.

HP c4450-57000 CD writer plus, M820

Optical to...uh...PCMCIA

all cables and...uh...floppies...lol

was working when last used, free to good home

Good luck, jojo -- BTW, anyone interested in that 1997 SCSI card I posted? :D

I have a SCSI card I'll never use because I don't SCSI. A friend gave it to me... consider it untested.

Adaptec AHA-2930CU, with the v1.34.1 BIOS from 1997. Says SCSI-SE on the IO plate. One internal connector, one external connector. 32bit PCI, 5v only (not a universal card).

Cost-of-shipping to a good home ;)

I'm recycling that card Monday if nobody wants it...

EDIT: @cortexodus -- TBH, it's not 'arcane' tech so much as 'archaic' -- it probably is about the same age as my Dell Latitude CPi laptop (might be even older; the CPi has CardBus) -- that laptop is from 1999, an era when (for instance) 3rd party graphics cards were actually competitive still... it has a NeoMagic brand contraption in it for graphics, rather than ATi or nVIDIA. LOL. Actually, if I didn't already have a combo drive in that system, I'd think about picking up that PCMCIA drive. (The combo drive is a homebrew solution, BTW -- turns out that the Modular Bay system Dell was using at the time could recognize more than spare batteries, floppy drives, and CD-ROM/RW drives -- it's an IBM-branded drive out of god-only-knows what model Thinkpad stuffed in that housing :D )

Last edited:
Newegg sold me a refurbished EVGA LGA 2011 MB with a bent pin; no refunds:mad: I had a tech at work try to bend the pin back; without success. If anyone wants it for parts or a door stop, it's yours. According to their website, USPS wants $14.33 for standard post. PM me for pics.

MB Specs

I call dibs

@cortexodus -- TBH, it's not 'arcane' tech so much as 'archaic'

Yea, that's a better word ;) It's not like it's goat's blood and mythic runes. It's also not exactly AT&T Safari old, but it's definitely very outdated gear.

Well, that's not really true since he could return the board for a replacement...

I'm not saying that a lack of refund doesn't suck, just that it was a refurbished unit after all.

If there are any bent pins, chances are Newegg won't take it back either. They would claim you (the buyer) did it. The only person on your side is your bank. Then Newegg would have to show proof (video/picture documentation) that it was good when it left their hands, then the proof is on their end.

If there are any bent pins, chances are Newegg won't take it back either. They would claim you (the buyer) did it. The only person on your side is your bank. Then Newegg would have to show proof (video/picture documentation) that it was good when it left their hands, then the proof is on their end.

You make a valid point. You're probably correct that Newegg would refuse the replacement over a bent pin. I always dread buying mobos online. I'm much more inclined to buy those in person these days at MC (since I'm lucky enough to live within 45min of one)

cleaning out the work area. Will put up more as soon as i continue cleaning:

looking for the following:
1 stick of 1gb ddr1
old retro console gaming stuff

Have the following:
128mb DOM
Celeron D 352 Socket 775
Intel Pentium 4 640 Socket 775
Intel Pentium 4 520 Socket 775
stock AM2 heatsink/fan
not so stock AM2 heatsink with loud 80mm fan
coolermaster hyper TX2 fan with am2 clip only
modified artic cooling ATI silencer 1.
ati 9600 pro agp card untested
seagate freeagent goflex net: unit has some wonky custom firmware. needs someone with more linux shell knowledge to revert it back to the stock pogoplug software
80mm fans mostly with connectors removed
pci wmp54g wifi card
misc pci (non express) graphics cards
misc connectors of all kinds. just ask
tons of SD to DDR1 Ram from 64mb to 512mb
misc 3.5" ide drives
misc desktop ide cd, dvdrw drives

Last edited:
Does anyone have an Apacer brand PC2100 or PC2700 1gig SODIMM? Turns out the reason that my WYSE box won't take just any RAM stick is because of a very weird timing issue that was not properly publicized. Apacer is one of two brands (and I don't know the name of the other) that will even work in this thing.

I don't have much money right now -- but I have a functionally equivalent (for /other/ systems!) 1gb PC2700 SODIMM that I don't mind trading ;)

Does anyone have an Apacer brand PC2100 or PC2700 1gig SODIMM? Turns out the reason that my WYSE box won't take just any RAM stick is because of a very weird timing issue that was not properly publicized. Apacer is one of two brands (and I don't know the name of the other) that will even work in this thing.

I don't have much money right now -- but I have a functionally equivalent (for /other/ systems!) 1gb PC2700 SODIMM that I don't mind trading ;)

Give me a model on that WYSE box or (even better) the RAM QVL for that unit and I'll happily poke through my old DIMMs.

It's a WYSE SX0-series S90, P/N 902115-11L, SubAssembly P/N 849153-05L, made in September 2009. I have photos of the insides, and am happy to retrieve further numbers, if anything helps ;)

In theory (why oh why am I saying that with /this/ system...?) any Apacer SODIMM (laptop!) will work if it's 1gig PC2700 or slower. PC2100 RAM has a better chance of working... the tricky tricky bit is that it's got to be able to run at the nonstandard speed of 111MHz or 222MT/s. That's of all things a CPU limitation (CPU has the MMU in it) -- see here, page 16 (with highly technical details pages 188-217) --> http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dl/Datasheets-AQ5/DSAAQ0089401.pdf

If Datasheet Archive is too grumpy to let you view that directly, search for Geode GX and look for the 539-page document (!) in the "Catalog Datasheet Results" section. "AMD Geode GX Processors Data Book" should be clearly visible in the thumbnail image.

I have (2) Opteron CPU for shipping cost. ($6)

Socket 940
AMD Dual-Core Opteron 275 HE - OSK275FAA6CB

Ill give it a day or so, then Ill delid them for copper scrap, lol

-------------------------GONE

Last edited:

Socket 940

Dang it, wish I had a motherboard for these puppies. :p

Socket 940

I collect old cpu's. If it doesn't hurt your feelings that the items go into a personal (unused) collection, PM me, I'll take 'em.

if you dont give the cpus to stickx911, ill take them. I have 280s in my system and looking for something that runs cooler.....

I'm looking to build an extra Minecraft PC for when my son's friends come over. I'm looking for a working itx or mATX LGA 775 mobo w/ I/O plate that will support an old e8400 I have. Any help with locating 4GB of DDR2 ram and an LGA 775 HSF would also be appreciated.

Last edited:
if you dont give the cpus to stickx911, ill take them. I have 280s in my system and looking for something that runs cooler.....

or you take these ones and send yours to stickx911...just sayin'

Still looking... :(

I've got:

[Strike=]21[/s] 12 socket 478 units ranging from 1.8 to 2.66 [Strike=]3.0[/s] (Willamett, Northwood, some Prescott) 2.8's and 3.0 are dibbed

*let me know if you're seeking anything specific out of the 478's and I'll look more carefully. I got new lenses today and my vision is wonky as hell so I didn't feel like enumerating all of them.
*in one of the pics, I've got 'em stacked on the left side, top to bottom they are (1.8, 2.0, 2,4, 2,6, 2.66, 2.8, 3.0)

Socket 775 I've got the following:
[Strike=]4x P4 630's[/s] all dibbed
[Strike=]5x P4 531's[/s] all dibbed
[Strike=]3x PD 945's[/s] all dibbed
[Strike=]1x PD 940[/s] dibbed
2x P4 2.8's (SL7J5)
[Strike=]3x C2D E4300's[/s] all dibbed

[Strike=]12x[/s] - T7400 dibbed
11x Misc. Socket 479 mobile procs (see pics)

1x Turion X2 (from my old HP DV6058CL, which fell apart like it had slow flesh eating disease... port by port... I'm not bitter, I swear... <- lying :p )

...Bonus round...
1x AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1x P3 1.0GHz Coppermine (SL52R)

pics

I am happy to literally give this shit away so it's not here in my house anymore.

Just let me know if you actually intend to do something that would involve putting them into a machine and it will determine if I ship 'em carefully or loose (not that I'm gonna guarantee they will all work, although almost all of them have been POST tested by me at one point or another). For instance, if you're gonna shuck 'em for scrap metal I'm not gonna bother being careful with them.

I'll leave this here for a bit to see if anyone is interested in anything in particular, if no-one seems to want anything specific from the pickings I'll probably send the whole pile to the first dibs.

[Strike=]*woo, talk about chum in the water! :D Glad to see some of this old stuff may live on!
*going to bed, I'll check in tomorrow and see if there's anyone else after particular pieces.
[/s]

So it looks like everyone interested in any of this stuff has probably PM'ed me by now. Unless I hear different before the end of the day, I'll probably just chuck the rest of it into the electronics recycling pile where I work. I'm glad that a few people were interested in using some of this stuff!

Last edited:
Ygpm!

I've got:

21 socket 478 units ranging from 1.8 to a 3.0 (Willamett, Northwood, some Prescott)

*let me know if you're seeking anything specific out of the 478's and I'll look more carefully. I got new lenses today and my vision is wonky as hell so I didn't feel like enumerating all of them.
*in one of the pics, I've got 'em stacked on the left side, top to bottom they are (1.8, 2.0, 2,4, 2,6, 2.66, 2.8, 3.0)

Socket 775 I've got the following:
4x P4 630's
5x P4 531's
3x PD 945's
1x PD 940
2x P4 2.8's (SL7J5)
3x C2D E4300's

12x Misc. Socket 479 mobile procs (see pics)

1x Turion X2 (from my old HP DV6058CL, which fell apart like it had slow flesh eating disease... port by port... I'm not bitter, I swear... <- lying :p )

...Bonus round...
1x AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1x P3 1.0GHz Coppermine (SL52R)

pics

I am happy to literally give this shit away so it's not here in my house anymore.

Just let me know if you actually intend to do something that would involve putting them into a machine and it will determine if I ship 'em carefully or loose (not that I'm gonna guarantee they will all work, although almost all of them have been POST tested by me at one point or another). For instance, if you're gonna shuck 'em for scrap metal I'm not gonna bother being careful with them.

I'll leave this here for a bit to see if anyone is interested in anything in particular, if no-one seems to want anything specific from the pickings I'll probably send the whole pile to the first dibs.

cleaning out the work area. Will put up more as soon as i continue cleaning:

looking for the following:
old retro console gaming stuff

Have the following:
Celeron D 352 Socket 775
Intel Pentium 4 520 Socket 775
modified artic cooling ATI silencer 1.
ati 9600 pro agp card untested
80mm fans mostly with connectors removed
pci wmp54g wifi card
misc pci (non express) graphics cards
misc connectors of all kinds. just ask
tons of SD to DDR1 Ram from 64mb to 512mb
misc 3.5" ide drives
misc desktop ide cd, dvdrw drives

updated list with the stuff that is left. will add more over the weekend.

I have a CM X Dream 775 cooler if anyone wants it for shipping.

And I'm sure this is a shot in the dark, but I need PCIe modular cables for an Antec Quattro. Even a single one would be helpful.

A fellow [H]er trying to help me with this pointed out that Apacer sticks have Samsung chips -- they *might* work -- does anyone have a Samsung stick (brand or just with Samsung chips) that otherwise matches the description above? I'd like to try it...

[strike=]I have a SATA DVD burner with Lightscribe, forget the model but if I get un-lazy and dig it out i'll post it. Not worth selling so i'll offer it up for free.

Don't PM me and ask how much because if the difference between $8 and $12 shipping is enough to sway you, it's not worth my time. Yes I know they can be had at Newegg for $15-20 shipped, no I'm not Newegg and I don't get super cheap shipping like they do. Assume the worst shipping cost coming from zip 44413 but i'll ship it as cheap as possible to save your $.[/s]

Last edited:
anyone have a 8+ port gigabit switch they want to give a good home?

It does not need to have any real bells or whistles with exception all ports being gigabit..

Here's an odd one. Looking for a particular version of Mavis Beacon's famous typing-tutor series... the 1994 "For Kids" version by The Software Toolworks. (The version by The Learning Company is from later on, and it's not the one I'm looking for.) Came on a set of floppy disks, of which I have only one :(

Of course The Software Toolworks is beyond long gone... eBay's barely ever even heard of them -- and certainly doesn't have this set of disks for me :(

Can anyone help, lol?

Here's an odd one. Looking for a particular version of Mavis Beacon's famous typing-tutor series... the 1994 "For Kids" version by The Software Toolworks. (The version by The Learning Company is from later on, and it's not the one I'm looking for.) Came on a set of floppy disks, of which I have only one :(

Of course The Software Toolworks is beyond long gone... eBay's barely ever even heard of them -- and certainly doesn't have this set of disks for me :(

Can anyone help, lol?

The sad thing is, this is probably something that quite a few people have sitting in an old computer desk or disc storage binder somewhere, never to be used again...but how many of them are going to see this post? :(

Your stamps will be on the way this week, btw.

Bump for Mavis Beacon!

Hell, I've probably got the other disks sitting in my attic somewhere, in a decaying cardboard box half full of silverfish... but I'll never find 'em up there :(

I have three ide hdd's for the cost of mailing. 5 to 6 lbs from 30238

2x20gb western digital

6gb quantum fireball

all have been NTSF formatted

Can anyone help, lol?

Is it this one?

*Only $32! :p

*Might find a library that still has the CD-ROM version

*Aw shucks, yea these are not from the publisher you're talking about :(

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not quite. That's a Mindscape version. Mine was, as stated, by The Software Toolworks, and it came on floppy disks.

I have the manual. I can't find it right this second but I have AT LEAST one of the install floppies. Don't know which one -- cuz it's not right in front of me! IIRC (could be WAY off) there were 4 or 5 floppies.

Right now I'm *also* looking for --

(1) an Apacer or Samsung 1gig PC2700 SODIMM (must have Samsung chips)
(2) a 128meg PC100 SODIMM

The second item are because someone gave me a free Compaq Notebook 100 laptop. It's going to be entertaining to work with it...

EDIT: removed an item that I've decided I'm not looking for -- wouldn't do what I want it to do, lol.

Last edited:
Looking for a pci-e x16 video card for my girlfriends computer. Doesnt need to be anything special, but able t run like minecraft and other games like that. Thats what her brother likes to play on it. The onboard graphics went kaput.

Back