The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

404, any chance of making something for me that would allow a 3-pin fan to be powered by a molex connection? I built a mini ITX PC for my stepson for Christmas and the case (Bitfenix Prodigy) has 2 fans but the mobo only had enough fan headers to connect 1 of them. I'd like to get the other one working to improve airflow in the case.

404, any chance of making something for me that would allow a 3-pin fan to be powered by a molex connection? I built a mini ITX PC for my stepson for Christmas and the case (Bitfenix Prodigy) has 2 fans but the mobo only had enough fan headers to connect 1 of them. I'd like to get the other one working to improve airflow in the case.

I think I'm out of molex connectors. I'll double check when i get home in about an hour though.

Why not use a 3-pin Y splitter?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Good question. Thanks for the link! And thanks 404!

Will that splitter cause the fans to spin at half speed or stress the header that's designed to run only one fan? I'm guessing not, but wanted to make sure.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Will that splitter cause the fans to spin at half speed or stress the header that's designed to run only one fan? I'm guessing not, but wanted to make sure.
The fans will run at their normal speed. The current draw out of that one fan header will be twice as much as what you'd get with one fan, but I'd be *shocked* if that caused any issues. From what I've heard, the unofficial spec is 1A per header, which is somewhere between 4 and 7 typical fans.

Good question. Thanks for the link! And thanks 404!

up to you. If you want to buy the splitter, i won't hold it against you. I don't have a 3 pin fan to molex adapter on hand but I did find enough parts to make one if you want to go that route too though.

The fans will run at their normal speed. The current draw out of that one fan header will be twice as much as what you'd get with one fan, but I'd be *shocked* if that caused any issues. From what I've heard, the unofficial spec is 1A per header, which is somewhere between 4 and 7 typical fans.

Good stuff, thanks for the info.

up to you. If you want to buy the splitter, i won't hold it against you. I don't have a 3 pin fan to molex adapter on hand but I did find enough parts to make one if you want to go that route too though.

I truly appreciate it but for $3 I might just go that route and you can save your time and materials. Someone else might need you to MacGyver something at some point in the future and I'd hate knowing that you had to tell them that you lacked the parts to do it because I didn't want to spend $3. :D

You've helped me out before, so consider this a thanks and I may call on you again if I can't source something easily like this in the future.

Hey, imyourzero -- I just realized that I have a spare fan adapter. Shoot me a PM with your info, please.

I truly appreciate it but for $3 I might just go that route and you can save your time and materials. Someone else might need you to MacGyver something at some point in the future and I'd hate knowing that you had to tell them that you lacked the parts to do it because I didn't want to spend $3. :D

You've helped me out before, so consider this a thanks and I may call on you again if I can't source something easily like this in the future.

no problem buddy. If you need anything in the future i'd be more than happy to hook you up.

Hey, imyourzero -- I just realized that I have a spare fan adapter. Shoot me a PM with your info, please.

bingo. look at that. everyone is all sorted now. ;)

Thank you both - you guys are half the reason this thread stays so active. :) You are good people.

realized i have a board here that i have neglected for a while. Was wondering if anyone happens to have any ddr2 5300 desktop ram. This board has 4 slots and I would ideally like to fill it with 2 gigs total. Willing to put some money into this if need be.

going to be putting up another round of stuff in the next few days. Started doing a major cleaning of my work area.

Have a stick of corsair cm2x1024-10000c5d DDR2 ram to offer up. It's been sitting on my desk for a while now. doesn't work with the board mentioned above. no idea if its dead or alive.

I have 2x512 DDR2, Hynix chips -- desktop of course. I think they're high density, though, since they've only got eight chips, and only on one side.

realized i have a board here that i have neglected for a while. Was wondering if anyone happens to have any ddr2 5300 desktop ram. This board has 4 slots and I would ideally like to fill it with 2 gigs total. Willing to put some money into this if need be.

going to be putting up another round of stuff in the next few days. Started doing a major cleaning of my work area.

Have a stick of corsair cm2x1024-10000c5d DDR2 ram to offer up. It's been sitting on my desk for a while now. doesn't work with the board mentioned above. no idea if its dead or alive.

I saw someone on AT selling a hodgepodge of memory where there were 2 DDR2 5300 1GB sticks in it - if they accept my offer, I'll send you those. I have no need for them. With that and Starhawk's 2x 512s, you've potentially got 3GB.

BTW - I would probably just RMA the Corsair. They're pretty good about exchanges if you suspect they aren't working or perhaps not compatible. If you tell them the board it's not working with/in, they have sent replacements know to work with that platform.

I have 2x Crucial 1GB single bank 533 modules (CT12864AA53E.8FG) I would be happy to send you for the price of a Heat rating :)

Alternatively, I can send you 4 of these modules. They're super LED blinky, run hotter than hell, and have a notorious rep for failure, but I only ever had 1 out of 12 units croak on me.

I don't know if any of this stuff works, they've all been in a drawer along with a bunch of other modules.

I've never bought/sold/traded anything but I figure if I start giving stuff away for free then no-one can get screwed outta anything! ;)

Also, holy crap that is a ridiculous Corsair module :p

I have 2x512 DDR2, Hynix chips -- desktop of course. I think they're high density, though, since they've only got eight chips, and only on one side.

I think i got it covered for now. Thanks buddy. BTW, i haven't shipped out your stuff yet because i was awaiting another adapter and card and held onto the older stuff for comparisons. Going to ship your stuff out tomorrow.

BTW - I would probably just RMA the Corsair. They're pretty good about exchanges if you suspect they aren't working or perhaps not compatible. If you tell them the board it's not working with/in, they have sent replacements know to work with that platform.

To make a long story short, i bought a used AMD desktop combo from someone on another forum. The entire rig is wonky at best. He tested the ram sticks and claimed that one of them is bad and threw it away. sent me the rest of the rig as-is. I fired up the rig with the single stick he sent me and it won't turn on. The rig won't install xp- hangs during first phase of install but will run vista fine, intermittent issues and only runs at sata1 speeds. It's a hot mess.

If i only had the other stick, i would RMA them in a heartbeat. I'd love to use them in a future build if i did.

I'm still sort of in the middle of cleaning out my work area. If you haven't found anyone by the end of next week, let me know. BTW, what board are we talking here?

I have 2x Crucial 1GB single bank 533 modules (CT12864AA53E.8FG) I would be happy to send you for the price of a Heat rating :)

Alternatively, I can send you 4 of these modules. They're super LED blinky, run hotter than hell, and have a notorious rep for failure, but I only ever had 1 out of 12 units croak on me.

I don't know if any of this stuff works, they've all been in a drawer along with a bunch of other modules.

I've never bought/sold/traded anything but I figure if I start giving stuff away for free then no-one can get screwed outta anything! ;)

Also, holy crap that is a ridiculous Corsair module :p

That's great. I may have this all sorted but I'll send you PM just in case.

Anyone have a 3 pin fan extension? 404 doesn't have the parts to make one

I thought you were going to get one from amazon? I'll look for some pin headers at work if you really need one and don't want to go the amazon route.

I think i got it covered for now. Thanks buddy. BTW, i haven't shipped out your stuff yet because i was awaiting another adapter and card and held onto the older stuff for comparisons. Going to ship your stuff out tomorrow.

To make a long story short, i bought a used AMD desktop combo from someone on another forum. The entire rig is wonky at best. He tested the ram sticks and claimed that one of them is bad and threw it away. sent me the rest of the rig as-is. I fired up the rig with the single stick he sent me and it won't turn on. The rig won't install xp- hangs during first phase of install but will run vista fine, intermittent issues and only runs at sata1 speeds. It's a hot mess.

If i only had the other stick, i would RMA them in a heartbeat. I'd love to use them in a future build if i did.

I'm still sort of in the middle of cleaning out my work area. If you haven't found anyone by the end of next week, let me know. BTW, what board are we talking here?

That's great. I may have this all sorted but I'll send you PM just in case.

I thought you were going to get one from amazon? I'll look for some pin headers at work if you really need one and don't want to go the amazon route.

Its a ASUS Z87-A LGA1150 Motherboard

Hey all,
I'm looking for SCSI drives.
If I could pick and choose I'd love some 15k drives with sizes around 80gb and up.
I don't really have a need for anything smaller then 30gigs.

Thanks for all the help if you have any.

@ 404, i went the microcenter route instead and bought a couple.
i always end up needing those extension cables for myself or for a friends rig or whatever.

i have something like 8 right angle sata cables if someone wants em and then another 4-5 straight sata cables.

@chronic9 -- any SATA cables with two right angle connectors? (Do they even /make/ those?)

Still looking for a low profile half height slot PCI video card.

Could also use a single stick of 2GB DDR2 Ram, anything that runs at 533 or 667 and 800 that can clock down to 533.

Again, this for a budget internet build to give away to someone in need.

Longshot, especially for the Freebie thread...

I am probably in need of 2x1366 HSF's. I don't want any of the push-pin style ones though. Honestly, they don't even need to have the back bracket, as long as the mounting bracket on top is fine (the server board this is for has built-in brackets). Anybody have such a thing? I'm even willing to contribute a small amount for them if I have to.

Could also use some DDR ECC memory.
Only could use 1GB and higher.

Hey all,
I'm looking for SCSI drives.
If I could pick and choose I'd love some 15k drives with sizes around 80gb and up.
I don't really have a need for anything smaller then 30gigs.

Thanks for all the help if you have any.

Ok. Just checking. I have no DDR1 modules. Although if anyone needs some DDR2 [Strike=Option]ecc or[/s] registered or fully buffered I can probably help :)

*evt had asked me about some ECC DDR2 and I thought I had some ECC modules. Turns out everything I have is Registered or Fully Buffered. Still happy to send some of that stuff to someone if they've got a system that will accept it.

Last edited:
I got the 360 power brick!! Thank you Narsbars!!!

Now to finish some games...

Dat floor literature. Tiny clothes pins and remote... what have you been up to. :p
One book is a regular manga (Jump Next, teen level stuff), the other is game art (related to my jerb), as for the clothes pins, they are for nipples of course. What else would you use them for? Laundry?

One book is a regular manga (Jump Next, teen level stuff), the other is game art (related to my jerb), as for the clothes pins, they are for nipples of course. What else would you use them for? Laundry?

Yep, lots of nipples.

I have a SCSI card I'll never use because I don't SCSI. A friend gave it to me... consider it untested.

Adaptec AHA-2930CU, with the v1.34.1 BIOS from 1997. Says SCSI-SE on the IO plate. One internal connector, one external connector. 32bit PCI, 5v only (not a universal card).

Cost-of-shipping to a good home ;)

[Strike=option]I've got two USB 3.0 Hard Drive controllers taken from Toshiba Canivo external hard drives. There are no cases for these, but I have the USB cables, the controller boards, and the power supplies.

These are free if you want to pay for the shipping.

Here's a link to the product these were taken from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149389

PM if interested.[/s]

This has been claimed. Sorry guys.

Last edited:
Newegg sold me a refurbished EVGA LGA 2011 MB with a bent pin; no refunds:mad: I had a tech at work try to bend the pin back; without success. If anyone wants it for parts or a door stop, it's yours. According to their website, USPS wants $14.33 for standard post. PM me for pics.

MB Specs

Newegg sold me a refurbished EVGA LGA 2011 MB with a bent pin; no refunds:mad: I had a tech at work try to bend the pin back; without success. If anyone wants it for parts or a door stop, it's yours. According to their website, USPS wants $14.33 for standard post. PM me for pics.

MB Specs

dude...that sucks balls

so did the pin end up breaking off when he made the attempt?

No, my tech friend did a good job. He said when he bent it back that it felt loose.

MB Specs

PM sent

MB Specs
I would dispute the whole amount with my bank if that was the case. Tell them Newegg sent you a bad board and refuse to resolve the issue.

Back