The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone has any small sata hard drive laying around I can get to throw a basic windows install on.

I may still have another 80GB drive. I already sent 3 to Format_C: (one unfortunately arrived DOA after testing fine here, darn USPS football players!).

If you do still, send me a pm. Anything you're in need of?

Only thing I can think of would be some 2GB PC2-5300 SO-DIMMs to upgrade a couple of ultra-slim HP desktops that are currently maxxed out with two 1GB sticks in each. Other than that I can't think of anything unless you have a GTX 780 or a Zowie gaming mouse, heh. ;)

I'll check when I get home and send you a PM if come up with anything.

Still have the motherboards, still looking for the cheap phone. No offers on either one yet.

Thought I'd pop this up since people (in my experience) seem to stick to the last page of this thread when looking at stuff. (No worries, 90% of the time I do the same thing, lol.)

EDIT: one other thing. Does anyone have an 1156 CPU that I could BORROW long enough to see if the problem I'm having with my new (to me) system is a BIOS issue or a board issue? Need any one of the following and IT WILL BE RETURNED PROMPTLY -- SLBJG, SLBJJ, SLBLC. If you're local to 27344-6644 and want to drop by and watch/help that's OK too (please don't if you're allergic to cats, we have one and you don't need to be miserable because of him).

EDIT2: to be clear, I need the CPU for less than one day. Cities within about an hour's drive of me (NC) -- Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Asheboro (but not Asheville!), and a big pile of little bitty hamlets. If you're genuinely not sure, PM me your town/city and I'll tell you how long you'll drive.

Last edited:
Anyone have any 256Mb or 1GB USB flash drives laying around? I could use a few for booting my favorite backup program.

I would like to bump Starhawk's call for the loan of a SLBJG, SLBJJ, or SLBLC for the purpose of a mobo BIOS flash.

He has one of the early boards but a later CPU and the combo will not POST without a newer BIOS.

If we can't find a loaner CPU he wants me to solder a new BIOS chip on, which just seems unnecessary and dangerous.

Thanks jojo! Yeah, I really really need that CPU big time.

To be clear, I DON'T NEED TO KEEP THE CPU! I just need it long enough to do a BIOS flash. That's it. Less than an hour's use and I can send it back.

...and it has to be one of those three, others prolly won't work...

If you're in NC, particularly the Piedmont region (middle third of the state -- not the mountains not the coast), PM me your city/town/village/hamlet and I'll tell you how long the drive would be if you wanted to drop by with the CPU.

<beatles>"We can work this out!"</beatles>

Thanks jojo! Yeah, I really really need that CPU big time.

To be clear, I DON'T NEED TO KEEP THE CPU! I just need it long enough to do a BIOS flash. That's it. Less than an hour's use and I can send it back.

...and it has to be one of those three, others prolly won't work...

If you're in NC, particularly the Piedmont region (middle third of the state -- not the mountains not the coast), PM me your city/town/village/hamlet and I'll tell you how long the drive would be if you wanted to drop by with the CPU.

<beatles>"We can work this out!"</beatles>

Have you considered seeing if anyone is interested in a straight trade for another 1156 mobo? Might be easier than soldering on a new bios chip (that being said, borrowing a 1156 cpu is the easiest route, somebody help this man out!)

Mobo is damaged -- it has two PCIe slots, one 16x, one 4x with a 16x-length connector. The better of the two slots is nonfunctional. There are some bent pins in the socket that cause this, although I don't think that's what's keeping it from booting.

I'd rather not post a pic of the socket, only because my pic-taking skills are tremendously horrid and therefore the photo won't be of much use.

EDIT: I don't game, edit videos, etc., so the lack of a full 16x slot doesn't affect me as much as it would someone who really needed it. Hell, I've got an old-PCI Radeon 7000 in the system right now -- I'd bought a Quadro FX570 on eBay but when I couldn't get video I fell back to a known good card... the 7000 probably would do 90% of what I need!

Still desperately need that CPU.

Please help...? :(

This is my first 1156 --or even really terrifically modern-- system... I don't want it to end up getting recycled simply because I couldn't flash a mobo BIOS...

I think you should post a separate thread about it. Not everone reads the freebies thread.

Pretty sure someone else did.

I've been contemplating that idea... guess I'll give it a try.

EDIT: done. I'll leave a link here for those who do view this thread. If you see this and want to help go here --> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1775068
Either way, no need to further clutter this thread with this particular subject.

Last edited:
I need 3 K8 Stock AMD Heatsinks, so AM2+/AM3 like the ones off of 1090s and such, I'll pay shipping of course.

I have 1GB (2x512mb) ECC DDR free for cost of shipping. HP P/N 261584-041 (Smart Modular Technologies Inc.). Untested, no boards to run ECC. I'm in 32609 if you want to guestimate shipping.

I need to offload some stuff for free. Yours if you pay shipping.

1. Charger for a HTC Sensation
2. Master Combination Lock (will include combination) it is a Blue color
3. Book "C# in Easy steps by Barnes and Noble" TAKEN

Last edited:
Long shot here but I'm looking for a better than average 775 heatsink and fan for my desktop system. Hope someone here has a left over and could help a brother out! I am currently out on disability and funds are low and I can't afford to buy a new heatsink right now.

I have a Cooler Master heatsink that looks similar to this one:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/product/3030/gallery/full/1.jpg

Probably not as good as you're looking for though - I'd say similar to stock.

Long shot here but I'm looking for a better than average 775 heatsink and fan for my desktop system. Hope someone here has a left over and could help a brother out! I am currently out on disability and funds are low and I can't afford to buy a new heatsink right now.
I may have something.....I'm out for the day and wont be back till tonight...but shoot me a PM to remind me and ill look when I get home ....

would anyone have a Canon powershot neckstrap that they are no longer need or using? regular camera straps cant be used cause the eyelets are small diameter size

edit: no longer needed. I just went ahead and trimed a canon strap to fit the eyelet.

Last edited:
Anybody have: a spare USB mouse or PS2 to USB adapter?

I have free: VGA to DVI adapter.

Dangit. I have both, but neither are spares :( you done some good stuff for me, wish I could return the favor.

Maybe another time ;)

EDIT: actually, PM incoming. I just got an idea.

EDIT2: PM sent :D

Trying to get an Mac G5 (Power PC) tower up and running for a friend.
I could use these parts:
- G5 compatible install discs (Leopard 10.5.8 or below).
- Compatible Mac keyboard and mouse
- Side panel
- Power cord
- DDR ram
- Expansion bay covers haha

Anything that would work on this setup would be nice for them. It's older tech so back ups would be nice. Thanks in advance if you have anything.

Last edited:
Trying to get an Mac G5 (Power PC) tower up and running for a friend.
I could use these parts:
- G5 compatible install discs (Leopard 10.5.8 or below).
- Compatible Mac keyboard and mouse
- Side panel
- Power cord
- DDR ram
- Expansion bay covers haha

Anything that would work on this setup would be nice for them. It's older tech so back ups would be nice. Thanks in advance if you have anything.

I have an original disc of leopard 10.5 install dvd if someone can tell me how to burn a copy of it off my dvd burner for mac, I will send it to ya

Last edited:
I have this exact adapter

www.ebay.com/itm//270962163563

please let me know if you are interested. heading to the post office tomorrow to ship out a set of freebies i posted earlier so I'd like to get this all out at once.

My PayPal is drained except for $2.76. If that covers it for you, cool, otherwise no worries because I'm not trying to be cheap. I'm just being lazy, don't want to reload it right now. :p

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@404,janas19 -- I can chip in an additional $2.44 if need be. That's what's in my account right now.

My PayPal is drained except for $2.76. If that covers it for you, cool, otherwise no worries because I'm not trying to be cheap. I'm just being lazy, don't want to reload it right now. :p

no worries. just pm me your shipping address

Looking for an ATi 9800 Pro 256MB AGP or a Barton 3000 or 3200+ for testing in this thread. Some low latency PC3200 would also come in handy.

Up for grabs is an AM2 Athlon X2 3800+. T_Ski sent it to me and since it's not a 939, I can't use it. Just pay shipping.

nah, not really a big deal, I haven't given anything away in a while anyhow

Have a motherboard to give away. Had two, but looked on the back of one and saw bare copper so I don't think it's gonna work anymore, unless someone wants to frame it or something.

The one that's available for maybe repair probably needs a new NB chip. Story is that the (fanless, if it matters) gfx card in that system popped something like seven caps all at the same time. Cooked basically the whole system: HDD, ODD, RAM, everything. I could not get a graphics card to work (in fact the one I stuck in there got fried by me sticking it in there) and the NB graphics did a lovely job at displaying a black screen. Later went to use the PSU to test a fan... fan didn't spin but the room lights flickered so that was probably the ultimate culprit. FSP PSU oddly enough, thought they were better than that.

Anyhow -- board is an MSI PM8M3-V. Comes with a 775 P4 (2.66GHz/1M/533 (SL7YU) that may or may not be the sole electronic survivor of that system. Free for the taking -- but I do insist that you pay shipping ;) Priority Mail is probably best, although my medium FRB's got ruined by rain (they were leaning against a chimney that NOBODY knows how to properly install flashing on) so it won't be in one of those.

Back