WTBorrow -- SLBJG, SLBJJ, or SLBLC for BIOS Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
Full disclosure: this started off in the Freebies Thread. I will no longer be hollering about this there, since I've got this thread instead.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard. I also have an i3-530 CPU for it. (I got the board as a scratch-and-dent knowing it was the only way I'd be able to afford one any time soon.) *IF* I can get it working, this will be --without argument-- the most capable system, hardware-wise, that I've had in my life. I really do want to move into a truly modern box here! But the box doesn't want to cooperate...

The board will not boot or even (as far as I can tell) run POST, and I'm fairly certain it's a BIOS-CPU mismatch, although I do not know what the current BIOS revision is. If I'm right, I just need to flash the BIOS to latest, and then I'm good. If I'm wrong, the board is completely shot. In either case I do not need to keep a fancy shmancy CPU in there for more than fifteen minutes at most.

Of note, I've no real way of determining what's at fault (compatibility issue or whole board) without putting in a different CPU and pushing the power button -- I have neither POST card nor money for one, since I spent a lot of what I had putting together parts for my new system (of note, I couldn't really test it without those parts, since all I have spare is, comparatively speaking, old junk). Even if I had a POST card, I wouldn't know how to interpret its findings... the seller is on here, knows I'm having problems (I sent him a PM several days ago), and either doesn't know or doesn't want to say what the BIOS revision of the board is. Either way, he's radio silent and I'm not pushy. (You know who you are -- we're cool, I guess, but if you wanted to chime in or help out, I'd be quite thrilled.)

The three CPUs which are compatible with the original factory stock BIOS (Revision F5) are...
SLBJG - Core i7-870 - Lynnfield core - 2.93GHz/8M/09B
SLBJJ - Core i7-860 - Lynnfield core - 2.80GHz/8M/09B
SLBLC - Core i5-750 - Lynnfield core - 2.66GHz/8M/09B

No other CPUs are guaranteed to work here, except with later revisions (F6-F11) so I really need one of those three. I'll send it back the day I get it, after I (attempt to) flash the BIOS on my motherboard.

I'm in Siler City, North Carolina. ZIP here is 27344. If you're in NC, particularly the Piedmont region (roughly the geographic middle 1/3 of the state, north to south), PM me and I'll see if we can work out something where you can drop by with the chip.

If you're not local, I'll do my best to cover shipping both ways, although my financial situation is a little unstable (tl;dr I'm poor) so I can't make any guarantees other than "I'll try my best".

Please help. Please...?

EDIT: long shot alternative... if anyone has a MicroATX 1156 board they no longer want for whatever reason, I'll take it for $20 including shipping. (That's all I have, sorry!) PLEASE make sure that it has the latest BIOS on it, and is compatible with an i3-530 at that point (I don't know the SL# of my CPU, there's a couple, and I stupidly didn't look before putting it in.)

EDIT2: just heard from the seller -- BIOS is the F5 (original from the factory) revision and no updates were ever performed.

Last edited:
I'll bump this...as OP has asked me to do the soldering on a new BIOS chip if no compatible CPU can be obtained...and that just seems...uh...unnecessarily dangerous for what needs to happen here.

good luck man i need the same thing for an 1155 board. Seems no one is too helpful these days. I finally gave up on bumping my thread after like 2 weeks.

On a side note you can look on your bios chip for a green sticker it may have the bios revision on it so at least you know that much and if your treading water or not. Have you verified no pins are bent? I have a z77 that I bought with bent pins for $20 I straightened the pins out and it works fine but I pulled the chip and put it back in the board I need flashed and then back in the z77 I couldn't get it to post either. Finally found out there was a pin that was a little scewed off to the side and viola it started up again.

Hey just checked the specs on that board. I have a post card I can send you for you to use. It's easy to use plug in and look up the code it hangs on in the book that comes with it. I can also print out another label and include it for return shipping so your not out any money.

Of course if you have a sticker on the bios chips that shows it to be of less the a F6 I guess you won't need the post card yet anyway because it is the bios holding you up for now.

Last edited:
This is one of those weird boards with two BIOS chips. No sticker on either one.

As for bent pins... I'll just say that this is a "scratch&dent" board. That's all I'll say for now.

I'd love to borrow your POST card! I'll shoot you a PM about it shortly. Thanks!

Thank you, 404!

A couple things. scgt1 is helping me with the socket for the board -- which I will reluctantly admit has some bent pins -- I was reluctant because I thought the damage was a lot worse than it now appears to be.

Second, and most importantly -- I now know, having heard from the seller after a second PM, what BIOS revision the board is. It's the original F5 BIOS -- the first release for the board.

That means, no matter what, I *will* need one of the three CPUs mentioned in the first post of this thread, in order to get an operational board.

Thank you, 404!

A couple things. scgt1 is helping me with the socket for the board -- which I will reluctantly admit has some bent pins -- I was reluctant because I thought the damage was a lot worse than it now appears to be.

Second, and most importantly -- I now know, having heard from the seller after a second PM, what BIOS revision the board is. It's the original F5 BIOS -- the first release for the board.

That means, no matter what, I *will* need one of the three CPUs mentioned in the first post of this thread, in order to get an operational board.
Just contacted a guy on ebay about the issue that does bios chips so waiting to hear back from him. I've done soldering in my days also so if push comes to shove I can order a bios chip for yours (and mine since no one in the dfw area I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE OUT THERE has stepped up to help me with my situation) I might as well order one for my P67 board also so it will take newer sandys and ivy chips. Thinking about it while I was messaging him I have a very rare 775 board in the garage that has dual full x16 lanes (775 days there were only a couple boards that did offer full band to both lanes when sli or xfire) which doesn't post with good hardware. One of the few neg ebay feedbacks I received from someone nuking the board then filing a claim against me. I believe the bios chip is just toast since it won't post with functioning hardware no bent pins and it doesn't have anything toasted on it. Then I can resell it and make the money back for the 3 chips.

Solve your problem and mine along with making some storage space in the garage getting rid of the 775 board that has been in there a few years.

Of course I did contact someone locally about a 1156 chip on craigslist. Waiting to see what the chip is and if it's still available. I don't mind buying one to flash for you as long as I can at least resell it for what I pay.

WOW, thanks!

EDIT: er, bear in mind that the BIOS chip on this board is an SOIC-8 -- it's EFFING TINY and super easy to cook. Surface mount to boot...

WOW, thanks!

EDIT: er, bear in mind that the BIOS chip on this board is an SOIC-8 -- it's EFFING TINY and super easy to cook. Surface mount to boot...

That's what this forum used to be about aside from all the selling. Users used to help each other out. I dunno what happened since I stepped away for a few years from the sell and upgrade scene but I'm willing to help you out.

Pay it forward brother. :cool:

WOW, thanks!

Yea I doubt it is as small as these bitches:
after.jpg

Just to the right of C77
third one down in the row you can see it was removed
it was moved to the right one space
to complete the BCLK mod on a Foxconn Bloodrage LGA1366 board.

Not my pic but I did do it to the Bloodrage in my for sale thread that is pending to a guy on EVGA. That was a fun one. Especially when you use tweezers and pling flying somewhere goes that little bitch so your forced to do serious research to find the value of that thing to order more and finish the mod.

I've also done the on right at C77 well that size anyway on a Viewsonic 17" monitor the power fuse popped on it for the inverter. Simple little fix that one. I've learned a bit more since those two jobs now using flux which makes for a much much easier job. Now I've been messing with cpu's and gpus on xbox 360s but I've been busy with life and lost the want to mess with them so I have several RROD xboxs I need to fix and sell. The Fiancee brings it up from time to time. :D

Bump for ya bro...sucks to have all the hardware ready and shit like this pops up. If I had one of those CPU's in my inventory it would already be on your way and yours to keep.

Unfortunately I don't...and unfortunately I don't have the extra $$$ to help you out either. Either way you'll get this sorted.

I would however STRONGLY suggest you redo the title with the actual name of the CPU's. Even being the major geek I am (the best one I know personally) I had NO idea what the hell "SLBJG, SLBJJ, or SLBLC" pertained to.

Best of luck!

I would however STRONGLY suggest you redo the title with the actual name of the CPU's. Even being the major geek I am (the best one I know personally) I had NO idea what the hell "SLBJG, SLBJJ, or SLBLC" pertained to.

Best of luck!

yup. I thought the same thing. at least with the socket name he can get more eyes to read the thread

I'm going to put this thread on hold for now -- looks like scgt1 has some friends who can help him help me. If I still need the chip once he's done his thing, I'll ask a mod to edit the title at that point. (or I might start a new thread then. Dunno.)

I see you mention being "poor" and all... but perhaps the best route would be to buy one of these on eBay, use it to flash your BIOS and then put it back up for sale. I am confident that what very little loss you incur this way would be less than what it would cost to pay for shipping of a loner processor.

Don't have the up-front cost. Also, sold one thing on eBay and that was enough. I swear after the fees were done with me I actually *lost* money. No thanks.

i will bump this with a 'YHPM with good news' :)

I feel dizzy. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Request fulfilled -- and I want to extend a TREMENDOUS PUBLIC LOUDASS-WITH-A-HUGE-MEGAPHONE ROUND OF THANKING to bigted. I owe you, man. I owe you big time.

For those that can't see my PM inbox -- he is literally GIVING me an i5-750 (SLBLC) that he grabbed off eBay. Last I looked those were $80 Buy It Now... I think I'm going to faint...

Having said that, I'm going to close this thread, and then I might have to lie down for a while. (Not entirely kidding.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back