The Fallout New Vegas Thread * will contain spoilers *

NPC slowdown has plagued my Oblivion gameplay. This isn't a new problem.

Anyone finding that they have too much loot to sell and vendors without enough money to buy it? I found that robots are easy to kill. If you're character is fast enough, you can just run behind them, then trail their back as you hack them with melee.

So has anybody here who has experienced the NPC slowdown problem actually made it to New Vegas - because if I visit a place where there are seven, eight, or nine NPCs, then the game becomes a slow motion moon walk.

I can't imagine what's going to happen when I arrive at Vegas?
It's bad. It's real bad. Luckily the DLL fix worked for me.

30 hours played so far according to Steam.

Jesus, I haven't even arrived at Vegas yet. That's not to say the world is huge, because it's not, just that there's so much to do.

I have another confession to make. I have Broken Steel still in the shrink wrap. I was meaning to get to it sometime this year... but now I think it would be tough to go back to Fallout 3. The DLC for this had better make it's way to the PC. I'm serious.

I now have Two Rexs!

Urgh.
I lost him God knows where (way after his surgery), So I went back to the Kings to see if he had gone there.

He was, just that he was invisible!?
As the King noticed his presence.
So I thought F this and spawned Rex.
Now I have Two. If I ask one to stay, they both stay.
One has the companion wheel and my stuff while the other just has normal chat options :/

Dunno maybe Two are better than One....

77863597.jpg

Image from my laptop.

Been playing on 360, not really had many problems. Did have one crash when it was trying to run a set-piece script with heavy visuals (but those crashes aren't unique to FO games), and the companions do suck at pathfinding and fast travel sometimes. Oh and things fall into the floor sometimes too.

I put like 500 hours into FO3, and whilst it had glitches, I never had the problems some people seemed to. FNV seems to have a bit less stablility, but I haven't grabbed the updates yet, so I don't know if they will improve things or not.

Has anyone taken Friend of the Night yet? Is it the same as Cateye, or what? Seriously tempted to start a game to find out. Living Anatomy is good, for now, seeing all HP / DT data makes weapon / ammo selection a lot easier.

It's amazing how much value you can squeeze out of early weapons by fiddling with stuff. I found a scope for my 9mm pistol really early, and loaded with +P / HP as appropriate, it's still excellent, not feeling the lack of a scope for the varmint rifle yet

Has anyone else has the problem where the suite in lucky 38 can't be upgraded? I can access the shop for it from the console outside, but nothing is clickable in the shop window...

Yes. I would suggest using the keyboard controls which work fine.

So has anybody here who has experienced the NPC slowdown problem actually made it to New Vegas - because if I visit a place where there are seven, eight, or nine NPCs, then the game becomes a slow motion moon walk.

I can't imagine what's going to happen when I arrive at Vegas?

Did none of the fixes work for you? I thought this was not an issue anymore.

Has anyone taken Friend of the Night yet? Is it the same as Cateye, or what? Seriously tempted to start a game to find out. Living Anatomy is good, for now, seeing all HP / DT data makes weapon / ammo selection a lot easier.

Yup, I took it for giggles cause VATS is useless as a sniper build and Friend of the Night turned out to be one of the best overall game improvement perks. It makes playing at night not only bearable but enjoyable and is a huge boost to sneaky characters now that you have the cover of darkness to stealth bonuses and good graphics.

Was anyone able to complete Beyond the Beef? I'm trying to meet Chauncey in the bath house but crash when he either comes in or I try to talk with him.

One of my friends found a npc glitch. It is the correct guy but no answer you give is correct. He had to go do other missions and when he came back, the answer he picked 4 or 5 times was finally correct and he was able to move on.

I also am surprised by the sniper build in Vegas - it just doesn't work at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but even after selecting all of the VATS related perks, my 'sniper' still has to get right in close on an NPC. So what's the point? I think I must have done something wrong. The game guide made suggestions for this build, and I deviated somewhat. God I'd love to start all over again.

But look what it says in the description:

"You can find decrypted Fallout: New Vegas executables on various piracy oriented sites."

Wow.

That's a big damned disappointment.

Stuff like this won't get serious until the Script Extender and the like get put out anyways.

That does suck, basically it only works on an unencrypted .exe until the FOSE team can get FOSE up. FOSE will need Steam to make a modification to modify their encrypted exe to allow FOSE in. I didn't know that before, but Steam made some changes to their FO3 and Oblivion .exe to allow the Script Extender team to use the .exe

Sucks that New Vegas is steam exclusive.

That does suck, basically it only works on an unencrypted .exe until the FOSE team can get FOSE up. FOSE will need Steam to make a modification to modify their encrypted exe to allow FOSE in. I didn't know that before, but Steam made some changes to their FO3 and Oblivion .exe to allow the Script Extender team to use the .exe

Sucks that New Vegas is steam exclusive.

They'll figure it out. The guys that come up with things like FOSE and the like should have relative child's play (for them) to deal with that little wrinkle. :)

I also am surprised by the sniper build in Vegas - it just doesn't work at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but even after selecting all of the VATS related perks, my 'sniper' still has to get right in close on an NPC. So what's the point? I think I must have done something wrong. The game guide made suggestions for this build, and I deviated somewhat. God I'd love to start all over again.

As mentioned before, VATS range is hugely nerfed along with the VATS related perks such as the overpowered Grim Reaper's Sprint from FO3. However, the sniper build in NV is still the most powerful build as long as you have some points invested in Sneak. Using either hollow points or armor piercing rounds; Sneak Attack Criticals from a silenced sniper rifle pretty much one shots anything in the game and if it doesn't, the silencer and distance buys you more than enough time to finish the enemy off in free-aim mode. The only time I use VATS is when I'm in a cramped area and then I just switch to my 9mm sub-machine gun with extended drum and HP/AP rounds and mow everything down.

I'm thinking of going the pacifist route for my second play-through cause sneak + sniper trivializes every fight in the game.

They'll figure it out. The guys that come up with things like FOSE and the like should have relative child's play (for them) to deal with that little wrinkle. :)

They are genius' but it's really not something to figure out. Valve has to do something on their side, otherwise it's not legally legit. Here's what one of the SE team members said:

* New Vegas is still very young, and being patched on a regular basis. Each time a patch comes out, some amount of rework is required for NVSE to function. We do not want to release until New Vegas becomes stable, as supporting multiple patches can be very labor intensive.
* As a steam-only game, the New Vegas executable is encrypted. We will need additional support from Valve before we can release NVSE. We don't expect problems there, as Valve provided this support for OBSE soon after the Steam version shipped. However, we will not be contacting Valve for a bit (they've been pretty busy). Plus,we want a basic amount of functionality in place before we ask them to make their modification.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1127320-wipz-new-vegas-script-extender-nvse/

I just found that last highlighted bit interesting. I didn't know that before.

New Vegas + Friend of the Night perk + FOV set at 90 + mouse acceleration turned off in .ini = my game of the year.

Wide open desert wasteland is so refreshing compared to the drudgery of navigating dreary, dim lit subways in Fallout 3.

OK listen up.

For all the ATI users out there, there is a better version of the D3D9.DLL fix, for whatever reason the other (original) dll fix caused some problems on ATI cards, namely that quality wasn't as high, it broke TSAA which made the vegetation and many other transparent texture look wanky.

However someone found a better DLL for ATI cards - http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34970

For me it restored crossfire working on my 5970, I've just cranked the settings from high to ultra, so now i'm running 2560x1600 max settings, 2xAA 16xAF. For whatever reason the iPresentInterval value got set to 1 in the config files, so I changed it back to 0 in all 3 (default in game dir, and 2 in my documnets) and that removed Vsync and now im cruising at about 80fps, yeeehaw pardner ;)

Wow this game looks so much better in ultra and runs so smooth now, love it :D

OK listen up.
Someone found a better DLL for ATI cards - http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34970
Thank you. :) I will definitely give it a try, see how things are.

I have to admit, I'm having stuttering issues, but I turned down all the settings and realized it is more related to the general incapability of the HD4890 to run well at 1920x1080 with everything cranked. Especially the outdoor environments, they are totally kicking my card's ass. Gotta replay this game as soon as I get my hands on a HD6970!

Thank you. :) I will definitely give it a try, see how things are.

I have to admit, I'm having stuttering issues, but I turned down all the settings and realized it is more related to the general incapability of the HD4890 to run well at 1920x1080 with everything cranked. Especially the outdoor environments, they are totally kicking my card's ass. Gotta replay this game as soon as I get my hands on a HD6970!

Even with everything cranked up, the graphics arn't exactly jaw dropping though.

Wow, these sounds from FO/FO2 really bring me back into the Fallout world. I'm very happy they put them in there.

Is anyone playing an 'evil' character? I know you can side with the Powder Gangers but they really don't play a pivotal role nor do they provide a wealth of quests to carry out. Can you side with raiders like the Great Khans, Caesar's Legion, Fiends, etc and wreak havoc on New Vegas and the NCR? I know I can just start popping residents and soldiers in the head but I'm talking about having actual quests and storyline with the evil do-ers.

I sided with the townsfolk and NCR which provided me with a lot of quests that spanned the entire map. From my own experiences, developers tend to spend a lot more time and effort on the 'good guy' experience whereas playing a bad guy is typically a shallow experience as you're not kissing everyone's butt for quests or you end up killing off all the quest givers. It'd be nice to have completely different experience for a second play-through but judging from all the enemy encampments I've been too, I somehow doubt they've written quests from that angle.

The 2 fixes I used got rid of all the NPC slowdown for me.

^^ He was nice enough to help me. Let me respost this real quick for everyone.

The two fixes he's referring to are:

1.) The .dll file for whichever GPU you have.

2.) In his case, mine, or any other Nvidia user: Go into Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, Program Settings tab, add both .exe for Fallout New Vegas, the main and the launcher which means two profiles, and make one change and one change only in each: Set Power Management Mode to Maximum performance.

ATI users: Whatever your equivalent of that is. Try it.

I'm going to try it myself. I have the .dll and I'm going to try number 2 as well.

Really? You have no NPC slowdown?

Not any more :)

The DLL to fix that has been around a while and confirmed working by most, but this specific DLL for ATI cards fixes those extra 2 issues, the TSAA and Crossfire

Even with everything cranked up, the graphics arn't exactly jaw dropping though.

Well no, but they've done an amazing job of making it feel like a wasteland, the engine is perfect for the game, the sense of scale is really immense and the draw distance as well as the detail at long range with an aggressive LOD set are really good. Plus you can manually edit the ini files and crank things like the detail draw distance up further if you have power to spare.

Is anyone playing an 'evil' character? I know you can side with the Powder Gangers but they really don't play a pivotal role nor do they provide a wealth of quests to carry out. Can you side with raiders like the Great Khans, Caesar's Legion, Fiends, etc and wreak havoc on New Vegas and the NCR? I know I can just start popping residents and soldiers in the head but I'm talking about having actual quests and storyline with the evil do-ers.

I sided with the townsfolk and NCR which provided me with a lot of quests that spanned the entire map. From my own experiences, developers tend to spend a lot more time and effort on the 'good guy' experience whereas playing a bad guy is typically a shallow experience as you're not kissing everyone's butt for quests or you end up killing off all the quest givers. It'd be nice to have completely different experience for a second play-through but judging from all the enemy encampments I've been too, I somehow doubt they've written quests from that angle.

You can align either way, it really depends on what kind of bad guy you are, if you're chaotic evil and you kill everyone then you're not going to have many quests, if you side with somoene like Caesers lot then you'll make enemies with the NCR. You can influence alignment all over the place, the Khans are up for grabs as allies to either Legion or NCR depending on how you swing it (I'm assuming, i've not finished the quest yet, but it looks that way to me)

MAN, I've just got the explorer perk which shows every location on the map, I had loads, I've played well over 30 hours and not stepped foot in vegas yet, or a great deal of whatever is north of vegas, but there's probably about 3x more stuff on my map now, just an immenee amount of locations. A lot will be small one off areas but still, it's crazy, I should grab a screenshot really.

OK listen up.

For all the ATI users out there, there is a better version of the D3D9.DLL fix, for whatever reason the other (original) dll fix caused some problems on ATI cards, namely that quality wasn't as high, it broke TSAA which made the vegetation and many other transparent texture look wanky.

However someone found a better DLL for ATI cards - http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34970

For me it restored crossfire working on my 5970, I've just cranked the settings from high to ultra, so now i'm running 2560x1600 max settings, 2xAA 16xAF. For whatever reason the iPresentInterval value got set to 1 in the config files, so I changed it back to 0 in all 3 (default in game dir, and 2 in my documnets) and that removed Vsync and now im cruising at about 80fps, yeeehaw pardner ;)

Wow this game looks so much better in ultra and runs so smooth now, love it :D

I did this too when the fix first came out and it made a ton of difference, game is much more enjoyable now.

The map, a rough and ready composite of 3 screenshots of the pipboy, the explorer perk revealed all these spots on the map, all the ones with actual icons I've visited already, my jaw almost hit the floor when I used this perk and checked my map O_O

fonvmap.jpg

Holy crap, I also have 30 hours played and my visited areas look like yours. That second playthrough is a looooooong way off.

I'm starting to think that I will just finish the main quest and some side quests on my first playthrough, then choose another faction and grind all the crevices on my 2nd playthrough.

It's a huge game folks. Even if the map seems "smaller" than Fallout 3...look at all that.

You can, yeah, though it's not as simple as there being solely good or bad paths. You can take the quests you want to, which is my approach with more of a good-guy/NCR-friendly bent, but I'm still friendly with the Great Khans and have been wandering around inside Fiend bases without firing a shot. A high speech or charisma score seems a good way of getting the most out of this game.

Back