The Fallout New Vegas Thread * will contain spoilers *

i lost ed-e at some point tonite adn by the time i realized it i have no idea where he got stuck.. so pissed i still have his perk but he is bugged.. any ides seems common issue online. he is not in Primm and I haev not done vegas strip yet.

siode ntoe damn u bethesda for havign so many possible human companions... yet only 1 at a time..

What's that Lassie? You say Timmay's down a well? Again?

:) I forgot my decoder ring.

Last edited:
i lost ed-e at some point tonite adn by the time i realized it i have no idea where he got stuck.. so pissed i still have his perk but he is bugged.. any ides seems common issue online. he is not in Primm and I haev not done vegas strip yet.

siode ntoe damn u bethesda for havign so many possible human companions... yet only 1 at a time..

Too lazy to look it up, but look at the console commands. (even look at the Fallout 3 ones). There should be some command like placeatpc or placeatme. Then type ED-E's ID. You in hardcore? Maybe it died.

As for having extra companions, that's what mods are for. If you want to be overpowered then go to the nexus. I think there are some companion mods already. ;)

Too lazy to look it up, but look at the console commands. (even look at the Fallout 3 ones). There should be some command like placeatpc or placeatme. Then type ED-E's ID. You in hardcore? Maybe it died.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_console_commands

Most if not all apply also to New Vegas. Have fun!

As for having extra companions, that's what mods are for. If you want to be overpowered then go to the nexus. I think there are some companion mods already. ;)

There are. I don't want to have extra companions myself. I need to get this NPC stutter slowdown issue fixed btw. Is that what that .dll file is supposed to do or something else?

I gave up on ED-E, going to focus on him next playthrough. It's ballsed-up in loads of ways, unless someone finds out the setstage command to unfuck the quest I'm just writing it up as a loss.

Well I'm done for the night, 5am is plenty late enough, I would honest keep playing this game all night if I could but I have a headache now lol, need some rest so I can play it all tomorrow :)

There it is. Done that myself two nights now, lucky I've an extended weekend. I feel like such a sad sack but I can't leave this game alone.

I gave up on ED-E, going to focus on him next playthrough. It's ballsed-up in loads of ways, unless someone finds out the setstage command to unfuck the quest I'm just writing it up as a loss.

ED-E likes going to Lucky 38 sometimes, too. So does Rex.

There it is. Done that myself two nights now, lucky I've an extended weekend. I feel like such a sad sack but I can't leave this game alone.

I played this about 4 hours straight yesterday which is something I haven't done with a game for a long time. I hadn't even planned on doing that. Amazingly, I didn't have one freeze or CTD during that entire time.

So, is the NPC fix the .dll file or something else?

Yeah the ratslayer can be found in a cave south east of Novac slap bang in the middle of that loop of roads, just directly east of the camp where you have to rescue the captured power gangers. There's also a radiation suit in there, handy for some areas.

I've got the sniper rifle with the silencer upgrade, both you can buy from the female NCR gun runner you'll find on the 188, that comes broken and I used several weapon kits to get it to max health and it's doing massive damage, I finally managed to take out the deathclaws with it, man that alpha deathclaw is really tough.

I found a missile launcher named er, Annabel I think it is, it's up the hill where Tabitha and her fellow mutants are, that's quite a hard mission until you have some nice gear, you'll be used to fighting the cloaked mutants if you've already been the the facility west of Novac. Those large swords someone mentioned about, they're no unique, there is a whole bunch of them up that road to Tabithas place.

One quick tip for everyone, to make soem good caps, if you fight a common enemy that all carry the same weapon, pick up all the weapons you can and use them to repair one or two copys of that weapon to max endurance, they sell for a lot and only carrying 1-2 doesn't waste too much carrying weight.

There are. I don't want to have extra companions myself. I need to get this NPC stutter slowdown issue fixed btw. Is that what that .dll file is supposed to do or something else?

Yeah, that's the main use for the file. If you have nvidia, get the default one. If you have higher level AMD, give the "alternate" one a try. Both will trick your system into thinking that you have an older nvidia card. Did you already try the dll fix?

Coming up on my 18th hour of play and I'm just now making my way into the actual New Vegas at level 11. I've since picked up ED-E and Boone as companions, they do pretty alright if you keep an eye on them although the Deathclaws are another matter. Tried to clear out that mining area at level 9, big mistake, haha. But I just got my grubby paws on the Q-35 Matter Modulator plasma rifle out of the REPCONN HQ so a rematch will be coming up.

The game has only crashed twice so far, once during combat when I was switching weapons, and another when the computer blackscreened and locked up after I started the game up. And not at all since the patch.

I'm still experiencing NPC slowdown in places. It's not nearly as bad as it was, but Vegas seemed to run a lot better the first time I applied the fix. Since I'm using the ifpsclamp=60 trick it means that whenever I dip below 60 fps, my game goes into slow motion. Very annoying. Whenever I'm around lots of NPCs, the slow motion effect is very slow indeed - so what's going to happen when I arrive at Vegas... will the game become unplayable?

How on earth did this slip past Q&A? It must be that Obsidian knew about it, but released it anyway. And don't give me that nonsense about everything being Bethesda's fault, because there was no NPC slowdown in Fallout 3. This is Obsidian's game and they're responsible for what they have done with Bethesda's engine. :eek:

Well, I think I made a mistake of going into Vault 34 at too low of a level. That place is a friggin nightmare for companion AI as they'll chase after crap across the map and get themselves killed repeatedly while also getting stuck in every doorway, corner, room possible. It took me like twenty minutes of walking over-encumbered from the armory room with all my phat lewtz (I think I was 520/200 carry-limit lol) to the surface. Right as I load the world map, it said Boone had died and my last quick save was an hour and a half ago. I guess I'm finding myself a new companion.

I have vault 34 on my map I'll be going there soonish I reckon...

A friend told me about where vault 11 is and I just completed that, it falls in line with the other vaults in that it's inhabitants were part of a social experiment, it's well worth a visit, funny as hell :D

I find that ED-E, maddeningly, always wants to hover right in the middle of the door frame. I constantly run into it when I'm trying to exit a room.

I find that ED-E, maddeningly, always wants to hover right in the middle of the door frame. I constantly run into it when I'm trying to exit a room.

Same thing happens to me. If you crouch you can go under it, but it's still annoying!

ED-E likes going to Lucky 38 sometimes, too. So does Rex.

I'll bear it in mind, but the character died and can't be resurrected. It happened a few times before, but I can only do it from a full save rather than a quicksave - this time he died about an hour after the last full save and I couldn't be bothered going back and doing so much.

I tried the console commands and whatnot but I don't know the prid for ED-E, only the base ID. The base doesn't seem to be used in bringing the NPC to you or resetting the quest, unfortunately. Shame, I really enjoyed the direction that quest was taking me.

Just to let anyone that hasn't used it yet know: the Nerd Rage perk doesn't work. I just tried applying it at level 16 and went back and double checked three times from the previous save: it's supposed to raise your strength to 10 but mine stayed at 6, the previous value. Probably one to skip until it gets patched.

I found a missile launcher named er, Annabel I think it is, it's up the hill where Tabitha and her fellow mutants are, that's quite a hard mission until you have some nice gear, you'll be used to fighting the cloaked mutants if you've already been the the facility west of Novac.

I found Annabel by mistake; that was the first place ED-E died for me and when you resurrect them everything they're carrying is gone. I was going to try and keep all the unique weapons, but it was a bit of a weird thing to want to do so I'm not bothered.

To get EDE back, try "player.moveto 001732d1"

Man, I just got the ratslayer, EDE and boone.... wow, the game is a lot easier now.

I have vault 34 on my map I'll be going there soonish I reckon...

A friend told me about where vault 11 is and I just completed that, it falls in line with the other vaults in that it's inhabitants were part of a social experiment, it's well worth a visit, funny as hell :D

Are you saying this wasn't a social experiment?

I wonder, what's the experiment with 101 in FO3?

Don't go to Vault 34 unless you have some decent equipment. Otherwise, you're in for a pretty nasty surprise.

Don't go to Vault 34 unless you have some decent equipment. Otherwise, you're in for a pretty nasty surprise.

an advanced radiation suit and a load of rad-x and radaway. Seriously why are all the vaults so irradiated

Yeah, that's the main use for the file. If you have nvidia, get the default one. If you have higher level AMD, give the "alternate" one a try. Both will trick your system into thinking that you have an older nvidia card. Did you already try the dll fix?

I will.

I'm still experiencing NPC slowdown in places. It's not nearly as bad as it was, but Vegas seemed to run a lot better the first time I applied the fix. Since I'm using the ifpsclamp=60 trick it means that whenever I dip below 60 fps, my game goes into slow motion. Very annoying. Whenever I'm around lots of NPCs, the slow motion effect is very slow indeed - so what's going to happen when I arrive at Vegas... will the game become unplayable?

How on earth did this slip past Q&A?

Many different configs, hardware, and settings to take into account.

Not an excuse. Just the way it is.

It must be that Obsidian knew about it, but released it anyway. And don't give me that nonsense about everything being Bethesda's fault, because there was no NPC slowdown in Fallout 3. This is Obsidian's game and they're responsible for what they have done with Bethesda's engine. :eek:

You're right, but the game hasn't even been out a full week yet. They've already put out two patches which I think is quite promising. :)

Two quick points:

1.) How do you get changes to stick in any of these .ini files? Make them all Read Only? I know there's default .ini in the actuall install folder and then the two .inis in the Documents folder. Do you change things in all of those or what?

2.) A fully modded sniper rifle is a wonderful thing. Silent and deadly. :)

Hmn I think I broke it...

I got up to pt2 of both House and NCR lines and I'm stuck. I can't disable House (for NCR) and I can't find the platinum chip for House... I am vilified by the legion and had to slaughter all of the fort (bar Caesar) but did not find Benny or plat chip...

Game is so buggy. FO3 was way better than this.

Has anyone else has the problem where the suite in lucky 38 can't be upgraded? I can access the shop for it from the console outside, but nothing is clickable in the shop window...

Does anyone know how to kill/disable Mr. House WITHOUT getting bad karma? Is there a "good karma" way to do it?

Wow, like other people have said, the Boone/ED-E combination is deadly.

I was outside of Goodsprings when together we came upon five low level coyotes. I had my melee weapon out, and then decided I would switch to my shotgun. I then decided to go back to my melee weapon. Before I even got a chance to hit at or shoot one of the coyotes, it was all over. Boone and ED-E had slaughtered them all, and they had done it within the space of three seconds.

This may be like hitting the win button, so I might have to dismiss Boone. But it'll be good to know I can pick him up if I need him.

Like clearing out all those scorpions to the east of Goodsprings. On my own, I was dead after being struck just twice by those scorpions. With Boone and ED-E I was able to take on three at a time. We slaughtered all of them. Just awesome.

I haven't run into this Boone character yet...

I just checked myself: None of my settings in the .ini files have kept. What do I have to do? "Read only" all of them to get things to stick?

I just checked myself: None of my settings in the .ini files have kept. What do I have to do? "Read only" all of them to get things to stick?

This was my problem right from the get go. I had to edit the .ini file in the Steam folder as well as the one in the my games folder.

Swapped Boone for Cass, who isn't as much of an aimbot, but she sure can take one hell of a beating.

In case it wasn't obvious enough, Cass is (character lore spoiler I guess) Cassidy's (from Fallout 2) daughter. If you recruit her, she talks about how her dad left when she was young to travel to the East, which is when the main character in Fallout 2 meets up with him.

I will.
1.) How do you get changes to stick in any of these .ini files? Make them all Read Only? I know there's default .ini in the actuall install folder and then the two .inis in the Documents folder. Do you change things in all of those or what?

2.) A fully modded sniper rifle is a wonderful thing. Silent and deadly. :)

1. Can you save the filed? Save and exit, then go back in. If it's still there, then 'read only' is not the problem. The problem is Steam is overwriting those settings with it's own when you fire up the game. To find Steam's .ini you have to go to program file\Steam\#####\#####\remote\falloutprefs.ini

Folder #1 of ##### is some set of numbers that steam generated. The next folder is the most recent folder with random charcters (most recent that isn't 'config'). Then you should be into yet another .ini to change things.

As long as steam is messing with the .ini, this might be the only one you need to mess with. I'm also not sure, but maybe steam won't mess around overwriting the lini if you turn off the cloud feature.

2. Yeah, probably too easy, when you're out in open areas. Get EDE to spot them for you with your pipboy compass, and it's a snooze.

Bethesda did the QA for this game. Just sayin.

lol. didn't know that.

warning: thar be spoilers in this link:
Vault list

Thanks! nice read

Are you saying this wasn't a social experiment?

I wonder, what's the experiment with 101 in FO3?

From the fallout wiki

"The purpose of Vault 101 in the Vault Experiment was to test the role of the Overseer. The second Overseer decided to let a select few of the adults in on the secret to help keep it from the children, and over the years each subsequent generation had more and more residents who knew the truth about the Vault. In addition, the Overseer was able to communicate with, and even visit, the outside world by using the secret tunnel in the Overseer's office[1]. However, for all other intents and purposes, the Vault's residents were sealed in: "We are born in the Vault, we live in the Vault, and we die in the Vault." With the escape of the Lone Wanderer, the experiment enters a new phase."

I also believe there was some control vaults as well which would have had no experiment going on.

Yeah I've just completed that place, I did OK with this special laser type weapon I picked up in REPCONN headquarters, me and Boone kicked ass there. If you go make sure to take plenty of Rad-X to prevent radiation poisoning and Radaway, after leaving I visited a doctor to remove my radiation poisoning for 100 caps instead of using loads of Radaway

I found Annabel by mistake; that was the first place ED-E died for me and when you resurrect them everything they're carrying is gone. I was going to try and keep all the unique weapons, but it was a bit of a weird thing to want to do so I'm not bothered.

Actually there is a quest chain to upgrade ED-E in one of several places, he loses his entire inventory when he comes back to you in Primm, that really irritated me, he was holding all my weapons and ammo, an absolute tonne of stuff, oh god too much to go into right now but safe to say everything important, and lost it all, really angry now.

I did save before I lost him but that means going back and re-doing LOADS including all of vault 34 and trecking 1/2 way across the entire map to the north for the BOS quests, FFS.

He's a sniper you find in Novac.

I'm such a fool. I couldn't settle on a character build (I had three games going at once) and got frustrated, so I started to cheat a little and now I plowed through a couple of hours worth of gameplay. Doesn't feel NEARLY as good, not by a long shot.

On a side note, at the REPCONN test facility, the human "ghoul" Chris offered to sabotage the rocket since I passed a speech check and told him what was really going on. I brought him everything he needed and then went to the viewing platform. There was a computer there so I fiddled with it and made it so the rockets would crash into each other. Couldn't hurt, I thought. Went back to Chris after the fireworks stopped and he was like "What happened?" and I told him that I sabotaged the rockets. He then proceeded to go hostile, forcing me to use the backhand of justice. I wish the game could allow for adjustments like that instead of making it look like I had been the one behind the rocket failure.

And though the game performed well for me, I am now getting crashes left and right. I am using more mods now than before, so I'd like to blame it on those but I don't know. Anyone else have stability plummet for them after it was doing fine? I usually crash when I go through a door (loading screen).

Yea 23.3 hours played before I upgraded ED-E, 27 hours played now.

ARGH FFS, all the guns and ammo I can handle losing even the 30 odd missiles and the 1000+ incinerator fuel, and the countless unique weapons like the ratslayer, but I think i'll have to reload for the 80+ Sunset Sarsparilla bottles I lost, chances of me getting all 100 caps needed for that quest without them 80 bottles is probably quite small. ARGH fucking all night worth of playing lost what a ball ache.

Yea 23.3 hours played before I upgraded ED-E, 27 hours played now.

ARGH FFS, all the guns and ammo I can handle losing even the 30 odd missiles and the 1000+ incinerator fuel, and the countless unique weapons like the ratslayer, but I think i'll have to reload for the 80+ Sunset Sarsparilla bottles I lost, chances of me getting all 100 caps needed for that quest without them 80 bottles is probably quite small. ARGH fucking all night worth of playing lost what a ball ache.

If you mean the reward for the Pew Pew laser pistol that only takes 51 caps.

Oh right someone said to me it was 100, i've not actually been to the headquaters, anyway its still about 8-9 caps down assuming about 10-1 collection from the bottles, too many to give up on.

Hmn I think I broke it...

I got up to pt2 of both House and NCR lines and I'm stuck. I can't disable House (for NCR) and I can't find the platinum chip for House... I am vilified by the legion and had to slaughter all of the fort (bar Caesar) but did not find Benny or plat chip...

Game is so buggy. FO3 was way better than this.

I highly doubt your troubles are with the game.

#1 Why can you not disable house?

#2 Why can you not find the chip? Did you already get the chip from Benny and give it to house?

Haven't been following this thread - does Eyefinity/Surround work properly? Using the WSGF thread, I've been able to get FO3 working well with Surround, you can even adjust the HUD placement. Only thing is that the Pipboy font looks a bit messed up. I'm hoping that this still (mostly) works with Vegas?

Bethesda did the QA for this game. Just sayin.

How did the NPC issue even MAKE IT to Q&A then? Way too many people have had New Vegas crippled on them because of this issue - I find it impossible to believe that Obsidian didn't know about this.

I'm guessing that they've now decided to let Nvidia solve this little mystery.

By the way, apparently Nvidia has just solved the stuttering issue for... get this... Fallout 3. Well, congratulations on that. The community members discovered a workaround (ifpsclamp=60) two frickin' years ago... you know, when people were actually playing the game. :eek:

Another bug to report - after completing Veronica's quest ('I Could Make You Care'), she became immobile outside the BoS bunker at Hidden Valley.

Fallout wiki mentioned how she could be used as a 'container that will defend itself' - lol!

So has anybody here who has experienced the NPC slowdown problem actually made it to New Vegas - because if I visit a place where there are seven, eight, or nine NPCs, then the game becomes a slow motion moon walk.

I can't imagine what's going to happen when I arrive at Vegas?

Back