The Elder Scrolls Online

Mandatory questing to progress into higher level zones... how far off base are they for "Elder Scrolls"?! Also, look how damn terrible that map is... good lord.

Yes but do you think ESO has 1997 graphics though?

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not, so I'll just bite.

Hell no. I think ESO's graphics are pretty amazing, especially for an MMO. Can't imagine what the 1997 ESO graphics clan thinks of Fall Out 3? Probably thinks it looks like shit on a stick.

Hell no. I think ESO's graphics are pretty amazing, especially for an MMO. Can't imagine what the 1997 ESO graphics clan thinks of Fall Out 3? Probably thinks it looks like shit on a stick.

Of course it's sarcasm, haha. There were several pages devoted to the bashing of the games graphics.

Of course it's sarcasm, haha. There were several pages devoted to the bashing of the games graphics.

Thought so. Hard to tell sometimes when I don't know the poster too well. A lot of people on here have 0 sense of humor, so who knows.

Really? Sigh...you need to lay off the ganja man your short term memory has taken a nosedive ;)

Nevermind, I don't want to go through that again.

01Ha.gif

In 5 mins you could of easily crafted a full set of lvl 8 armor and weapons.

Yes, it's a really great idea for the game to fuck up and keep you from questing in the proper areas for a week. Thanks for the heads up!

I don't think I've been so pissed off at a game in my entire life. I shoot a mob with my arrow, game goes black and a few seconds later comes back. Well, I'm dead.

So I decide to try it again, same thing. Get pissed off and decide to do a ctrl alt dlt end task.

Come to my desktop and my mouse is choppy. Open up chrome and everything is slow. I type 10 letters then they decide to appear on my screen.

Literally want to smash shit.

Yes, it's a really great idea for the game to fuck up and keep you from questing in the proper areas for a week. Thanks for the heads up!

There is a difference between inconvenience and broken. You still could level and bypass that quest series. You would still have access to good gear. You weren't being prevented from leveling though like some people. I read through your experiences and while frustrating most could of been solved by changing your approach or a little forum/reddit research. Your net problems suck but aren't ESO based. I haven't played with anyone that has had the issue you and your nephew described. No mass posts on the forums either. We have been a victim of slow load times due to their servers being hammered. They have addressed it with the community. I would run a trace route to their servers because obviously you guys have a problem somewhere. I would have tried a proxy as well.

People keep going on about how the game sucks or is shit. Its just blatantly wrong. I'd give the game 3.5 stars, or around a 75. Servers haven't been down, but have been overloaded. There are a handful of broken quests. The only game breaking bugs have been the bank slot issues. Thats bs and should be a priority. It is an average MMO with a beautifully crafted world. More mmo than ESO. I leave you with this short list of shit.

Tabula Rasa
Defiance
Vangaurd
AoC
AO's first launch
Hell Gate London

There is a difference between inconvenience and broken. You still could level and bypass that quest series. You would still have access to good gear. You weren't being prevented from leveling though like some people. I read through your experiences and while frustrating most could of been solved by changing your approach or a little forum/reddit research. Your net problems suck but aren't ESO based. I haven't played with anyone that has had the issue you and your nephew described. No mass posts on the forums either. We have been a victim of slow load times due to their servers being hammered. They have addressed it with the community. I would run a trace route to their servers because obviously you guys have a problem somewhere. I would have tried a proxy as well.

People keep going on about how the game sucks or is shit. Its just blatantly wrong. I'd give the game 3.5 stars, or around a 75. Servers haven't been down, but have been overloaded. There are a handful of broken quests. The only game breaking bugs have been the bank slot issues. Thats bs and should be a priority. It is an average MMO with a beautifully crafted world. More mmo than ESO. I leave you with this short list of shit.

Tabula Rasa
Defiance
Vangaurd
AoC
AO's first launch
Hell Gate London

Oh well explain to me how I could have bypassed it? Since I wasn't level 8, how was I to wear level 8 gear? The level 5 quests were locked out until they reset the servers. Has your character been unable to progress in the game? Do you have a clue what happened to me and my buddies? So what you're saying is that it is my fault, yet when they reset the servers suddenly all of it worked. The invisible NPCs that give quests and you turn them in to reappearing was an act of God per se? I bet you're going to tell me to /reloadui and repair my installation next.

And as far as my internet goes everyone in my clan lags at the same time. They were telling me the same thing you and Climber were spewing until it happened to them. They are from New Jersey, Florida, and Virginia to name a few places. I guess we all need to buy new internet. Meanwhile I can play other online games without issues with sub 19ms latency as long as the servers are located in my region.

ESO lags like a mofo from time to time. It's gotten a helluva lot better since the last server reset though. It still hiccups though. I love the way that people say that everything is fine because it hasn't happened to them. Sorry when I am bothered enough by an issue I report back my displeasure with the service regardless if it hurts a fan's feelings or not. I want potential purchasers to hear the what's great or wrong with a game before they drop $80 and $15/ month.

Oh and by the way. The graphics in ESO aren't that great. Look at your Imperial horse. It has textures from Half Life 2. Heck those textures predate Half Life 2. I know it's a MMO. But it's not groundbreaking in beauty. They did a good job of hiding the hideous textures by blending it together. But they are still there. Never zoom into a building at the wrong angle. It starts to look like that game from ID Software called RAGE, but without the pop in. Bet they borrowed their tech for this.

Why don't you take some high quality stills of you in first person staring at a horse? I KNOW a blind man can see that they are low resolution polygons. I personally don't care as it flowed, and I understand they needed to make concessions for people with low end rigs. But people trying to say that this game looks even remotely as nice as Guild Wars 2 irks me because it doesn't. Guild Wars 2 completely blows this game out as far as graphics go. I like the graphical style of ESO to GW2 though only because I like the back story and the style fits the setting perfectly. GW2 reminds me of Candy Land sometimes. I'm not delusional thinking that ESO uses HQ polygons though. That would be a blatant lie!

So in short this game if I were rating it I wouldn't at this time because it is too buggy to do so. I would wait 3 months and see how they patch it and resolve issues. My level 40+ clan mate was playing with us lowbies last night because some quest line was bugged the hell out since they patched and restarted the servers the other day. He had the exact same issues as I did leveling up, but he started in Early Access and an earlier server restart fixed the game for him.

I should hop in TeamSpeak and tell him that it's his fault. Go make some gear fool and then the quests will start working! You're not trying hard enough! You should have read a guide on how to conquer the game breaking bugs in the game! That would go over well with him I think. Will try this tactic this evening. :D I bet he tells me that he's going to shove his 24 core Xeon up my ass for doing so. :)

Again, I'm not discounting your troubles. I'm saying there are ways around them. You have two areas to start out with that take you up to lvl 6-8. You could of grinded mobs, or gone off exploring to get the xp that was needed to get to the next lvl needed in the quest gap. There are rare mob fights you could of participated in. Dungeon completion xp that is stupid easy because of the bots. ( They seriously got to start banning or something) You can craft gear that would of made up that gap. Lvl 6? Need better gear because your not 8? Improve it. Improved gear is better than standard white. Easily could of resolved that issue. Easy to get the materials as well.

In a previous post you talked about how you spent all your time running back from dying in pvp. If you had done the tutorial for pvp you would of known your team can set up and deploy respawn points. They even give you a free one when you complete the tutorial.

If you had been keeping track of this thread i've blatantly said the horses are HORRIBLE. I've told people to avert their eyes. You will go blind. No bullshit. It reminds me of Gumby's horse Pokey. Now that you have that image in your head I challenge you to remove it.

I'm not telling you to stfu and stop whining. I'm just pointing out that there are solutions to the issues you have had. The only thing I can't explain is the internet issues because no one I have played with has had anything like that happen. A few hiccups where they have brought the servers down for emergency maintenance for a couple hours, but nothing regular or wide spread. I'm not giving the game a glowing review, but it isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. I would of enjoyed a co-op elder scrolls much more.

PvP after I finally got to level 10 was fine. It was completely lag free for the few hours that I tried it. But after experiencing the lag spikes trying to kill quest mobs, I wasn't going to come back here and proclaim it perfect. :) I need to experience the PvP meta game for at least a week before I make a judgement on it. I will say that the fixing the siege weapon quest was the worst thought out experience ever. I felt like I had to become MacGyver to figure it out. I did end up reading a guide on how to complete the quest. Maybe it was intuitive for some, but having to stand at a specific spot on the ground to repair the thing was silly especially since the spot wasn't even marked. I had to "inchworm" my character around the siege weapons until the server said I was doing it right.

Crap I meant to be positive in this post, but it brought up the repairing the turret memory. Ha ha! :) You should have been on our TeamSpeak when I was complaining about dying so many times to lag.

Here is a sample conversation.

Me: Fuck Sal. I keep effing dying to this lag / buggy shit man!
Sal: Dude it's a new game. You're probably not doing the combos right.
Me: Shit man I've been playing MMOs since the were called MUDDs in the 90's.
Sal: Dude you're just not doing it right I'm telling you. This game is awesome and I'm not lagging.

*Intermission while Sal's health bar goes 100 - 0 on his Templar without a single heal thrown.*

Me: Damn man you need to toss some heals to keep from dying.
Sal: Shit man I'm lagged out. I'm dead?
Me Hell yea on my screen you're dead as shit.
Sal: Fuck why do we have to run back so far?
Me: So you can pick Jute silly!

*Intermission while our 16 y.o. mascot clan member joins our merry group*

Me: Welcome to the lag motherfucker!
Ben: You're crazy man. ESO is the greatest drug eva! Yolo Swag.
Me: Umm ok. So you're going to go to help that Queen Aerynn in the catacombs? Shit was laggy as fuck for me.
Ben: Shit mang I'm walking over that like I was a god. Your calls of lag are unfounded.
Me: May the lag be with you.
Ben: What are you talking about man. ESO is the shiznit. YOLO SWAGGA!

*Intermission while Ben starts dying and I start singing Frank Sinatra in TeamSpeak to drown out proclamations of how great the latency is*

Ben: Fuck man this game sucks! Fucking lag deaths. I can't cast my moves!
Me: Use the force Luke.
Ben: Eff you in the A! Ha ha!
Me: Uh huh. Wait until the boss fight fight and the NPC refuses to assist you because of the lag.
Ben: You're crazy. ESO doesn't have bugs like that. Just was a little lag spike here and there.
Me: Didn't you die like 5 times in the last 10 minutes? But a scratch huh?
Ben: Come help me man. Please? Pretty please?
Me: You're Russian. Call Putin.
Ben: I was born in America to Russian parents. Bring yo ass man! Help a bro out! This bitch queen is just standing here doing shit. Fuck man the boss summoned adds and she won't help me!

*Intermission while I arrive to watch the spectacle. Watching him die a few more times is priceless. Best MMO partner ever I know*

Me: Bring the boss to her.
Ben: Fuck this buggy game! RAGE!
Me: Calm down. Now bring the boss to her and run like hell behind the alter.
Ben: Dude you're brilliant! How did you figure that out?
Me. Cussing / trial and error. Figured there had to be something to make her prissy ass activate.
Ben: Yea, I still believe in Betheseda.
Me: This is Zenimax fool.
Ben: Game is still fun.
Me: True.

:) :) :) :)

I have been having fun with this game. No lag, no issues. It's a very nice launch for me

I'm used mmo games and questing. I'm at level 7 Templar at the moment doing main and side quests and leveling is so super slow. I enjoy a good story but leveling has been so slow for me. To the point I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. I can kill mobs easily just not getting the levels as fast as I would like. I read people are not having issues, so it's got to be me. Any suggestions on what to read about leveling easier?

I would also love an exp bar.
And a mini map.

Completing quests, exploration and turning points of interest 'white' on the map by exploring them all give good xp. Pretty much everything is good xp except grinding and pvp.

I would also love an exp bar.
And a mini map.

There are addons for both of those.

Gah, this game is turning into crack to me. Log in for a bit to explore some sights, and before I know it seven hours have passed and I'm scaling a volcano with some fellow adventures to combat some evil bent on destroying Tamriel.

To be fair, grinding is actually the fastest xp if you do it right. It is just mind numbingly boring.

To be fair, grinding is actually the fastest xp if you do it right. It is just mind numbingly boring.

This is just my opinion, but I much prefer "grinding" in this game compared to the "quest grinding" you have to do to advance. At least the combat in the game is engaging -- I don't know how much longer I can take the "running simulator" that the quests in this game create.

This is just my opinion, but I much prefer "grinding" in this game compared to the "quest grinding" you have to do to advance. At least the combat in the game is engaging -- I don't know how much longer I can take the "running simulator" that the quests in this game create.

Take time to read and listen to the quests. Makes it a lot less dull. ;)

Completing quests, exploration and turning points of interest 'white' on the map by exploring them all give good xp. Pretty much everything is good xp except grinding and pvp.

There are addons for both of those.

Thanks. Where are you getting add ons? I use curse client, is there something better?

Know of a good site for leveling builds? I'm using tamriel foundry atm, but it's geared towards serous endgame / level 50 stuff. A great site though.

I had my first "wow kick ass!" moment last night. I was wandering along minding my own business in the wilderness heading to my next quest to expunge some demon from a crystal. Got to the altar where I was supposed to get the demon out and noticed that over in the next valley was one of the three chain from the sky things. Lightning was flashing all around it so I said f my current quest - I'm going to go check that out. Get over there and there are 5 other players in a pitched battle against these demons that kept appearing whenever lightning hit the ground around the altar thing. I jumped into the fray and for the next 5 minutes it was mayhem. So far that was the funnest fight I've been in. When the boss demon was dead I got the message I had completed a quest but I don't remember the quest name.

Thanks. Where are you getting add ons? I use curse client, is there something better?

Know of a good site for leveling builds? I'm using tamriel foundry atm, but it's geared towards serous endgame / level 50 stuff. A great site though.

What class skill lines and what weapons have you progressed?

I had my first "wow kick ass!" moment last night. I was wandering along minding my own business in the wilderness heading to my next quest to expunge some demon from a crystal. Got to the altar where I was supposed to get the demon out and noticed that over in the next valley was one of the three chain from the sky things. Lightning was flashing all around it so I said f my current quest - I'm going to go check that out. Get over there and there are 5 other players in a pitched battle against these demons that kept appearing whenever lightning hit the ground around the altar thing. I jumped into the fray and for the next 5 minutes it was mayhem. So far that was the funnest fight I've been in. When the boss demon was dead I got the message I had completed a quest but I don't remember the quest name.

Look for the ninja star looking things on your map. They're all over.

I will say that the fixing the siege weapon quest was the worst thought out experience ever. I felt like I had to become MacGyver to figure it out. I did end up reading a guide on how to complete the quest. Maybe it was intuitive for some, but having to stand at a specific spot on the ground to repair the thing was silly especially since the spot wasn't even marked. I had to "inchworm" my character around the siege weapons until the server said I was doing it right.

I had the exact same problem and after 5 minutes of scratching my head I came up with the idea to put it in a quick slot and just press q. I'd like to brag it was intelligence, but in reality I was just fumbling around in the dark,

What class skill lines and what weapons have you progressed?

First and third. The a??? Spear and the healing tree. I don't need hand holding, but it seems like I'm progressing slower than what I've read.

Edit. End game I'm going to heal.

I had the exact same problem and after 5 minutes of scratching my head I came up with the idea to put it in a quick slot and just press q. I'd like to brag it was intelligence, but in reality I was just fumbling around in the dark,

It wasn't that. You have to stand in a specific area to do the quest for some people. I put the thing in the quick slot also within the first 10 seconds of receiving the quest item and it didn't work until I read on the official ESO forums that it was bugged and to inch worm around the siege weapon until the server decided that you were close enough.

Yes, I got the "fix" from reading the official forums. That's why I keep telling you that the game is fucked and you're just condescending. Just showing that you're completely ignorant of issues within the game. Sorry that you can't comprehend this concept. Maybe you should go to the official forums and read the bugs within the game and find out about the game before you make assumptions. On second thought who cares. ;)

That doesn't sound like a bug, though, it sounds like a design decision. Community feedback may cause them to increase the area of player interaction in a future patch but the functionality is there.

I get that with my bow sometime when I switch weapons too quickly. It's kinda funny.

Cagey you are taking this shit way too personal man. I just let you know my buddies from north Carolina play just fine. Next time you're having trouble run a tracert or ping plotter to the servers and see where the issue lies.

In WoT for example I can't play on the east server due to telia networks which hosts the servers. I have 19 ping to the west coast and over 600 to the east and I'm in denver. So yes there is a possibility that ESO has very real latency problems for you. However the difference is that WoT has a 100 page thread dedicated to it whereas ESO didn't have 1. I was just pointing out a widespread outage probably would have been noticed. I didn't mean to offend.

Back