The Elder Scrolls Online

I played in the last beta, and I'm not even going to bother installing it this time.

Beta invited for the weekend, no idea what to expect but I would think most MMO today are too easy.
Games from the MUD era was good as an MMO like EVE shows where death and loss and community makes the game.

any f2p I seen recent years is make max level then do tedious raids.
such innovation.....when the old MUD games had it right.

Beta invited for the weekend, no idea what to expect but I would think most MMO today are too easy.
Games from the MUD era was good as an MMO like EVE shows where death and loss and community makes the game.

any f2p I seen recent years is make max level then do tedious raids.
such innovation.....when the old MUD games had it right.

My early 20s self agrees with you. Things are too easy, more time should be invested. 32 year old me does not have the time for that anymore, wish I did :/

My early 20s self agrees with you. Things are too easy, more time should be invested. 32 year old me does not have the time for that anymore, wish I did :/

My older self just doesn't have the time for MMO's in general any more. I really wish i did, there were some epic moments.

Luckly, when my family eventually locks me up in a retirement home, I'll have plenty of time to dive back into MMO's :D

My older self just doesn't have the time for MMO's in general any more. I really wish i did, there were some epic moments.

Luckly, when my family eventually locks me up in a retirement home, I'll have plenty of time to dive back into MMO's :D

Agreed. There will be a huge market for high-tech retirement homes in the coming years, if not already.

This game probably wont last long in the MMO world but who knows.......Anarchy is still around, so....

But being a fan of anything Elderscrolls, I'm going to play it strictly for the main storyline. Which at this point has my interest.

I saw a lot of the posts about not having time to play like we did when we were in our younger years. One of the things I liked about the first generation of MMO's and particularly Asheron's Call was the world size. You may not have time to play a ton, but when you did you always got to see something unique and amazing because there was no quest system. You decided your path. It is hard for me to motivate myself to get on when I don't have alot of free time. Quests in MMO's have always felt like chores to me. I never have and never will find them fun when compared to discovering new places myself.

That said. Any MMO is more enjoyable if you just stay off the forums for said game. I'm hoping this test will be better than the last.

Participated in the last beta and wasn't particularly impressed, I'll give it another go around this weekend.

Hah, I've thought about that as well. Just imagine how bad our fingers are going to hurt from clicking though. My guess is that we won't be able to play as we will be slower, bad eyesight and have arthritis from using mice 10 hours a day for 80 years :(

I've downloading like 30gigs over the past four hours so far. Annoying. Wanted to play right away. I had 27gb's or whatever from before. Keeps downloading stuff. Didn't think to start the download the past few days because I thought I had already downloaded the game and it would just need some updating. Apparently updating means downloading the entire game again.

Good to see that they continue to polish the game. The atmosphere is still excellent. Glad crafting is back in. I enjoy it more this time. That said then entry and sub required are a serious deterrent for me. Not to mention it is going to have micro transactions which to me is a slap in the fucking face if your already paying a monthly sub. If the did it like Guild Wars, or just a monthly sub I would probably end up playing it. Still a no go for me but they are improving.

Got into the beta for the first time this weekend. Dunno, seems like it's bringing nothing new to the table. It will probably be a fairly solid but in the end forgettable experience for most people.

Good to see that they continue to polish the game. The atmosphere is still excellent. Glad crafting is back in. I enjoy it more this time. That said then entry and sub required are a serious deterrent for me. Not to mention it is going to have micro transactions which to me is a slap in the fucking face if your already paying a monthly sub. If the did it like Guild Wars, or just a monthly sub I would probably end up playing it. Still a no go for me but they are improving.

Got into the beta for the first time this weekend. Dunno, seems like it's bringing nothing new to the table. It will probably be a fairly solid but in the end forgettable experience for most people.

This sums up my feelings on the game as well and how I've felt it would turn out since day 1. So much lore ES fans will be happy to explore and be a part of but the cost, sub, and mt are imo over the top.

So much lore ES fans will be happy to explore and be a part of

My understanding is that the fans of ES Lore are extremely mad at this game for completely shitting over it; by basically ignoring/rewriting history to fit the game, then saying it is now canon to the universe.

My understanding is that the fans of ES Lore are extremely mad at this game for completely shitting over it; by basically ignoring/rewriting history to fit the game, then saying it is now canon to the universe.

Possibly, I'm not as versed into ES lore as I am like Warhammer or Warcraft.

I want this game to succeed, (not a fan of the monthly charge though), but I am thinking this game is not going to be ready for the April release. I mean, wow, there are many simple things that just feel broken to me. Just the basic things like movement, jumping over stuff, interaction with simple things like doors, etc. My only hope is that they are working on the high end raiding/grouping, but I don't think that is the case. I do like the exploration though.

I want this game to succeed, (not a fan of the monthly charge though), but I am thinking this game is not going to be ready for the April release. I mean, wow, there are many simple things that just feel broken to me. Just the basic things like movement, jumping over stuff, interaction with simple things like doors, etc. My only hope is that they are working on the high end raiding/grouping, but I don't think that is the case. I do like the exploration though.

Didn't have that many problems with the small stuff as you have. It did bug me today though that 100's of people are still funneled through this very narrow quest line :(

I'm personally a great fan of the subscription model and hope they continue to go forward with it. However it is completely unacceptable if they add microtransactions on top of it. I've not seen any evidence that this is going to be the case though? Did I miss something? I hope ZeniMax is not stupid enough to add microtransactions atop a subscription - The Secret World could have been an excellent game, but failed out of the gate because of this exact thing.

I'm personally a great fan of the subscription model and hope they continue to go forward with it. However it is completely unacceptable if they add microtransactions on top of it. I've not seen any evidence that this is going to be the case though? Did I miss something? I hope ZeniMax is not stupid enough to add microtransactions atop a subscription - The Secret World could have been an excellent game, but failed out of the gate because of this exact thing.

Google it. It has been reported. I don't dislike the subscription model IF i'm getting something for it. Asheron's Call gave you a content update every month. Right now i'm looking at an MMO that will charge $60 + 15 a month + Microtransactions + Expansions. I don't like being nickle and dimed to death and despite ESO having some good qualities it can't overcome this when it comes down to my decision. This is my viewpoint however.

You're not missing anything, people are mis-reporting things out of ignorance as usual. They have announced things like name changes or other account services, but have explicitly said no cosmetics/microtransactions as they want people to get the full game for their subscription fee. I like the sub model much more than nickel-and-dime, too.

And, lol @ everyone judging the game off of the tutorial islands. What do you expect a tutorial to do, allow massive exploration of the entire game? :p

I always lol at the "subs are better then f2p" arguments (notice I said f2p, not pay to win).

Usually they say "subs = no kiddes and more mature players" and in retort I say....World of Warcraft, plenty of "kids" and immature people in that game.

or they say "nick and diming" but most mmo's don't force you to buy anything or feel like you're "missing" something, from GW2, to Neverwinter, league of legends, etc.

I hav eplayed both sides and they can "think" subs are better, but the market has shifted and when you are competiting against many other mmo's and a juggernaut sub mmo (wow) you better be better or different if you want to survive.

TSW
Star Wars: TOR
Tera
Aion
etc

all learned the hard way that the sub model is dying out and consumers are not going to stick around with a sub model unless your game is better or different enough from WoW (which most usually aren't).

4 months till realease and I've yet to see anything that wants me to pay a sub fee for...Tiger, if there's anything mid to late game that exists, the devs need to show it to me NOW..its a game of managing expectations...IF i see somethin that tells me i MUST have this game and willing to pay a sub fee, then yes, I will ignore a tutorial/beginner mode experience..for god's sake, don't treat us like mmo noobs devs.

having said that, the tutuorial mode for wildstar is engaging and fun RIGHT FROM THE START (i won't buy/sub that game but thats just me.. I hate the telegraph system..its a poor man's excuse to avoid graphic aoe's from mobs...go watch final fantasy 14 aar for a well done aoe system for mobs)

so if there's something you wanna tell us about ESO, please feel free to tell us..and don't blow smoke up our asses about being under NDA...nice wall to hide from if this is the second coming of christ in the mmo world..the devs sure as fuck have yet to show us...bad, bad marketing 4 months from release !

You're not missing anything, people are mis-reporting things out of ignorance as usual. They have announced things like name changes or other account services, but have explicitly said no cosmetics/microtransactions as they want people to get the full game for their subscription fee. I like the sub model much more than nickel-and-dime, too.

And, lol @ everyone judging the game off of the tutorial islands. What do you expect a tutorial to do, allow massive exploration of the entire game? :p

As I recall I was blown away with the beginning areas of WoW

Haven't seen anything involving an end game from them yet. Doesn't bode well, no matter how much of a rosy excuse you wanna give it.

Why can't people use the eve-online model, you pay for game timem thats it, no upgrade costs etc.

Actually GT they have said specifically cosmetic items and other fun stuff in addition to normal services such as name changes. This was straight from Matt Firor. I've been very fair in my opinions on the game. They have been taken from what I have played and directly experienced. Anything I have commented on has been from that or directly from the horses mouth. I even have praised the progress they have made. I'm still waiting for them to give more specifics on the content they say they are developing for release every 4-6 weeks. Frankly the community is still waiting for a ton of information considering how close they are to launch.

Any new MMO that hits the market needs:

-An amazing intro area that drives home the concepts of the game, defines what the sub-genre is. This is essentially the demo. I think Conan's was amazing (well, cuz it was the only good content at release) as well as WAR's.

-Content that fits and expands on lore. Again, I believe WAR did an amazing job with this. From tome unlocks to quests that referenced key characters. TOR wasn't bad either, ignoring that they made some "god like" characters low level content.

-Content that has variety, and enough of it such that you end up missing much of it your first play through. Most MMO's fail at this, quests are copy/paste with the "variety" just being X thing to kill or Y thing to collect being different. TOR, WAR, WoW (depending on expansion) had some really interesting quests, but sadly they lost were in a sea of samey stuff. Games like FF11 had too few quests imo. This variety can also be expanded by having stuff tailored to multiple group sizes, not just dungeons. Solo, Duo, small group, large group, "whoever is in the zone" get here fast! ; there should be something for every size

-End game. I don't care if its day 1 of release and no one is even lvl 10 yet. You need to have end game content, because on day 2, guess what? There's going to be an entire guild of people looking for stuff to kill, and they're gonna be max level. And what will they do if there isn't any content to throw themselves at? They're gonna start shit talking your game. They'll have a two hour YT video on why your game blows, a front page article on (insert website) on what went wrong, and a thousand people on twitter shitting all over everything you say by nightfall. Have an endgame. And it better not just be one tier either. (WoW is extremely guilty of not doing this. They release every expansion unfinished and just gate players out until they finish each tier. If you got to max level quickly when BC came out you might remember how Tier 4 gear had worse stats than Kara blues, and T5 content was buggy/unfinished/utterly broken for the first 3 months of release)

So how was everyone's experience with ESO? How was the utterly amazing "sandbox" content? ;)

@lilbabycat Imho that is the design of the modern mmo and inherently their flaw when you have a leveling experience based on quests. When the leveling system is based on exploration, crafting, and trading the players experiences are all unique and different. Their rate of progression is varied and enjoyable. There is no set bar. Only places and events to experience. The industry is just now starting to see it circle back to this but it will be late 2014 and 2015 before we see this. On the plus side though we will see some of the improvements/convenience that the modern mmo's pioneered.

My son and I played all weekend when time permitted. I posted earlier that if this beta represents the game code in its current state, this game should not be released in April, as it is far from ready.

Tons of little stuff that should be polished were cropping up. Unable to jump over certain walls/fences/rocks/shrubs/etc. Invisible walls. Empty zone areas where the zone had no population and the buildings weren't finished. Several buildings where when looking at them from the outside, they had walls, but when you went inside the walls were clear/invisible, mostly in the empty/unfinished zone areas. Too much reliance on the animations, where you have to time jumps/moves because you know the animation takes time, (so you have to essentially jump over that rock a split second early for the animation). Grouping or duoing has issues where nearly every single time when you zoned into a new area/dungeon we would not be in the same instance. The "travel to" function does not work as advertised.

I could go on, and while we had fun, I filled out 11 bug reports and my son filled out 17. Some of the issues we found/reported were in the last beta and we had reported on them as well. I want this game to succeed but I'm hoping the code used in this beta was just older.

I want this game to succeed but I'm hoping the code used in this beta was just older.

I really hope so too. I'm a little shocked at how unfinished it was. Granted I have not played a lot of MMOs and have not played any Beta for an MMO but this just seemed like there were a lot of issues.

I'm a big ES fan and don't really want this game but I will take it if it's good.

Is there any chance they're drop the subscriptions? Unless this game just blows me away, I aint paying $15 per month. I had a blast playing Guild Wars 2 but I just can't do a monthly fee unless the game is just top notch.

PS why would they be running an old code? Wouldn't that defeat some of the purposes of working out the bugs?

I really hope so too. I'm a little shocked at how unfinished it was. Granted I have not played a lot of MMOs and have not played any Beta for an MMO but this just seemed like there were a lot of issues.

I'm a big ES fan and don't really want this game but I will take it if it's good.

Is there any chance they're drop the subscriptions? Unless this game just blows me away, I aint paying $15 per month. I had a blast playing Guild Wars 2 but I just can't do a monthly fee unless the game is just top notch.

PS why would they be running an old code? Wouldn't that defeat some of the purposes of working out the bugs?

I agree, it's going to have to top GW2 in forms of gameplay/support & content for me to want to pay monthly.

ESO devs if you ever read these forums please for the love of all things holy and nerdy. Please keep the subscription model and never allow "baseball caps" and "fuzzy slippers" to enter your gave via cash shop or any method for that matter. I like my fantasy strictly fantasy without all that other crap that GW2 put into their game in order to keep the game free of a subscription.

Im begging you! Oh and no magic carpets as mounts(WoW+EQ2) either PLEASE!

ESO devs if you ever read these forums please for the love of all things holy and nerdy. Please keep the subscription model and never allow "baseball caps" and "fuzzy slippers" to enter your gave via cash shop or any method for that matter. I like my fantasy strictly fantasy without all that other crap that GW2 put into their game in order to keep the game free of a subscription.

Im begging you! Oh and no magic carpets as mounts(WoW+EQ2) either PLEASE!

You will not be able to keep the sub model, apart from WoW and Eve online virtually any m mo that has even TRIED the sub model has had to shift to f2p after 6'ish months or so.

Aion
Tera
Star WArs: TOR
The Secret World
AGe of Conan
etc.

You will not be able to keep the sub model, apart from WoW and Eve online virtually any m mo that has even TRIED the sub model has had to shift to f2p after 6'ish months or so.

Aion
Tera
Star WArs: TOR
The Secret World
AGe of Conan
etc.

I think you absolutely can keep the sub model. The trick is to deliver a superior playing experience. This is something that we haven't seen in many years though. I payed for years of Asheron's Call because of monthly content. I had no problem paying for WoW monthly while they produced content at an acceptable pace. The content slowed down with every expansion though. In the current market I agree with you. No developer is releasing content fast enough to warrant a monthly sub. I also attribute this to MMORPG game worlds being smaller than ever compared to the early titles.

It is a trade off. More instancing, tailor made experiences, linear progress leads to content being devoured far faster than developers can keep up with. Large expansive worlds with sandbox type game play leads to slower progression and more personal experiences that differ for each player. This also leads to players sharing stories and wanting to experience what others have so they venture out to seek it. You probably can tell from my statement that I enjoy the more open ended experience to MMO's rather than the guided exclamation mark. I would be lying though if I said I didn't enjoy the modern friends lists, guild managers, raid systems. That said however i think it is a shame that the old and the new haven't been melded. There is a new entire generation of MMORPG gamers that have no idea what we once had. I had hoped ESO would be this given their franchise IP. it remains to be seen but from my personal experience it will be more of the same.

The thing is, it's impossible to deliver a superior playing experience when people out there will look to WoW.

Is it fair? No, cause WoW has had years and years + expansions galore to build up but when you release a new mmo people WILL judge it ased against a game like WoW.

The main way I could see a sub model working is if the game fit a niche group of players (like Eve) that there's really no other mmo of that type for those people.

However TES:O doesn't really seem to be striving for a niche or anything, from the videos/preivews it sounds very much in the vain of WoW/Daoc which there's plenty of out there.

Back