The Elder Scrolls Online

Seriously? You can only play one of the races if you buy the CE? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

That is, hands down, the worst pre-order bonus I've ever heard. In a MMO, where balance is one of the biggest factors in keeping players around, they are going to give people that pay $20 more a permanent leg up by giving them a race that no one else can play. Wonderful idea :rolleyes:.

Oh here we go with the Pay2win crying. Doesn't seem like P2W to me. Relax bro.

Damn. There was a ton of hysteria in my post. Bottom line is they are making a race exclusive that can play with any faction, and a faster mount than what is available in game. That has pvp implications along with the inability to choose a race that isn't available otherwise. I view it as dirty pool. No one said you had to agree with me. Play the game and enjoy it. I'm still on the fence but this is just another questionable design decision that sends up a warning flag.

Oh here we go with the Pay2win crying. Doesn't seem like P2W to me. Relax bro.

It's rather clear he was being a bit overdramatic. It's also clear the preorder bonus offers a game play advantage over the standard version. Care to explain why it isn't?

Go to checkout and it says at the top in a big open box "If you have a voucher enter it here" put it in there.

can you post a link, It makes me log in with my beta account and then never gives me an option to enter to code anywhere, just takes me to paypal and asks for money.

Sign into Greenmangaming
Add game to cart.
Choose to checkout.
Choose Checkout a second time when given the 15 min timer.
Next page says "Rewards". Enter your voucher there manually or paste it. If you paste it I usually have to add a space then remove the space to get it to recognize.
Look in the box on the right to confirm that the voucher worked.
Enjoy your game!

Lastly, always use PayPal on GMG if you live in the USA. Credit card companies will think that someone is using your CC overseas and block the transaction. At least my bank does when I try to buy items in foreign countries.

I actually thought the beta was pretty fun, but with this pre-order scheme going on I think I will hold off on purchasing.

can you post a link, It makes me log in with my beta account and then never gives me an option to enter to code anywhere, just takes me to paypal and asks for money.

You should be logged into your greenmangaming account, click "add to my cart" on the version of the game you want to buy.

Then it comes up with a screen to checkout, click checkout.

Once you do that you should see this screen:

http://imageshack.com/a/img46/8972/0yl1.jpg

Add the voucher where I marked in red.

The pre-order deal is rather unfair imho. CE players will have a different rule set for creating characters and some minor tangible benefits to game play. There should be no benefit to game play and all pre-order bonuses should be purely cosmetic to an astounding degree. It is sad when companies do stuff like this. More power to them since gamers have time and time again taken the bait. Zenimax wallets = 1, customers = 0

EQ 2 started it, but lots of MMO's have done this, especially WoW and specifically Neverwinter and D&D online. People eat it up so why wouldn't they do it? Would you refuse more money if someone legitimately offered you more for your services?

As long as people keep buying dlc, microtransactions, etc...publishers are going to keep putting it in there. Kinda like buying a car then sitting in the finance room to have some overwork and underpaid worker try to upsell you on special items, extended warranties, and pre-paid service. People eat that shit up so now everyone does it because it rakes in a ton of cash. Don't hate a company because they put in optional services for people to buy so they can make more money.

Neverwinter did the same exact thing and the world didn't end. They probably sold a shit-ton of CEs.

The thing is the Neverwinter race was a timed thing, everyone would be iven that race a few months after release.

Plus Neverwinter is a free to play game, there's no box price nor sub price.

The thing is the Neverwinter race was a timed thing, everyone would be iven that race a few months after release.

Plus Neverwinter is a free to play game, there's no box price nor sub price.

Neverwinter is sadly, a HUGE money-sink, and access to that race cost $200 or more! Almost anything by Perfect World seems tailor made to extract your money from you - it would have been a decent game (much like Star Trek Online) if it wasn't for the price gouging and the Korean style "You should be happy to spend hundreds of dollars per month, if we charge you $5 - $25 for everything" dynamic. I MUCH rather see what ESO is doing, where the perks are free for pre-ordering or included in a collector's edition, there's no cash shoppe, and a regular subscription - at least I'll know that I can get the "whole game" for $15/month. Besides, I am guessing that the Imperial race for instance will be available to everyone at a later date. I'm just happy they aren't making it some $25 DLC!

How's Neverwinter a huge money sink? You can play and enjoy the game from lv 1 to the cap, you don't have to buy the pets or mounts , there are comparable ones you can find in game or acquire through trade.

Neverwinter is sadly, a HUGE money-sink, and access to that race cost $200 or more! Almost anything by Perfect World seems tailor made to extract your money from you - it would have been a decent game (much like Star Trek Online) if it wasn't for the price gouging and the Korean style "You should be happy to spend hundreds of dollars per month, if we charge you $5 - $25 for everything" dynamic. I MUCH rather see what ESO is doing, where the perks are free for pre-ordering or included in a collector's edition, there's no cash shoppe, and a regular subscription - at least I'll know that I can get the "whole game" for $15/month. Besides, I am guessing that the Imperial race for instance will be available to everyone at a later date. I'm just happy they aren't making it some $25 DLC!

Imagine playing arathi basin (or insert any PvP here) where certain people got to nodes faster because they pre-ordered the game...

You have to keep balance intact when there is any PvP involved.

It doesnt change the fact that pre order bonuses appeal to a large majority of their purchasers. As long as people continue to pirchase these perks publishers will continue to offer them. Rift had faster mount same with wow and several other mmos. I don't like it but I don't blame them for trying to make money.

It doesnt change the fact that pre order bonuses appeal to a large majority of their purchasers. As long as people continue to pirchase these perks publishers will continue to offer them. Rift had faster mount same with wow and several other mmos. I don't like it but I don't blame them for trying to make money.

Clearly they've done the research. It is apparently more profitable to sell kids pay-to-win bonuses and turn off a large number of people that just want a good game vs having more subs because you made a good game.

Clearly they've done the research. It is apparently more profitable to sell kids pay-to-win bonuses and turn off a large number of people that just want a good game vs having more subs because you made a good game.

Well I had no experience with their pvp when I was testing so can't comment on how their pvp structure is going to work. There is alot more wrong with the game other than their pre order strategy.

Holy shit this game is going to bomb! And the pre-order bonuses are the first nail in the coffin. Zenimax is just going for the cash grab, there is nothing that is redeeming or lasting about the game itself. Elder Scrolls fans hate, and MMO fans hate.

I guess I missed out on some things, but I ended up "completing" Neverwinter without paying a dime. I maxed out my character, completed 3 of the epic dungeons and even got a full set of level 1 epic armor. By the time I did all of that I was *done* so if I did miss out, at this point I'm not sure I care. I'll revisit it in another few months and see what they added to it...but I was more than satisfied with what I got for free.

On a different note, faction pvp in this game is going to be weird. One faction is by far the most popular since it includes both Skyrim and Morrowind themes, and the nord/dark elf races. Then at the low end you get the elf faction, which is just generic fantasy forests (think Hibernia from DAOC).

With the ability to pick your own faction regardless of race, I can see even more people migrating towards the skyrim/morrowind faction. When that happened in DAOC the other two factions would sometimes gang up against the big one (albion, the 'Camelot' faction) but usually the big one would control the most world pvp objectives, including their bonuses and the pve things they unlocked.

greenmanggaming has a new voucher for 25% off now:
E0VXS0-T1IEIV-CZHSPO

Valid until 03/02/14.

(If you already ordered with the 20% coupon you will have to cancel/re order).

Regarding balancing the factions, that's why they really need to have some form of balance in faction based mmo's.

Look at Guild Wars 2 with it's server based pvp, that shit didn't work either, you'd have a huge server that'd stomp the others in pvp, it was almost never balanced.

They need to Just lock out faction's when their pop is too high, if people try to make a new character have that faction be locked out untilt he population is more even.

Also don't go by simply the accounts/characters created for that faction, they need to look at the average player count during peak times in-game and balance it around that to determine when people can make a new character in that faction (IE, sot hey don't end up with like 2000 accounts with a character on one faction but 1k of those are dead/old accounts that people don't play on).

As well have it setup so that if you have one character on your account in that faction, you can make another one, as long as you have one within that faction (Cause obviously you won't be able to play more then one character on your account, this way people can re-roll and still be in their faction of choice).

Then you can have a simple family link, where if your family member is linked to your account they can make a character within that faction regardless if the faction is closed for new people (so family members can play together), but this has to be limited so it can't be abused.

To me that'd be the best way to balance it out, and it's something that FPS games have kind of did for a while with their balancing.

Last edited:
I haven't followed this game in nine months or so, but how developed is the PvP aspect of the game? I got excited when I saw articles last year about modeling their PvP after DAoC (three-factions, large open space just dedicated for RvR/PvP, PvP dungeons, etc) but haven't seen a lot else on that subject yet.

Or is the beta time that people get not long enough to get to something decent?

greenmanggaming has a new voucher for 25% off now:
E0VXS0-T1IEIV-CZHSPO

Valid until 03/02/14.

(If you already ordered with the 20% coupon you will have to cancel/re order).

Regarding balancing the factions, that's why they really need to have some form of balance in faction based mmo's.

Look at Guild Wars 2 with it's server based pvp, that shit didn't work either, you'd have a huge server that'd stomp the others in pvp, it was almost never balanced.

They need to Just lock out faction's when their pop is too high, if people try to make a new character have that faction be locked out untilt he population is more even.

Also don't go by simply the accounts/characters created for that faction, they need to look at the average player count during peak times in-game and balance it around that to determine when people can make a new character in that faction (IE, sot hey don't end up with like 2000 accounts with a character on one faction but 1k of those are dead/old accounts that people don't play on).

As well have it setup so that if you have one character on your account in that faction, you can make another one, as long as you have one within that faction (Cause obviously you won't be able to play more then one character on your account, this way people can re-roll and still be in their faction of choice).

Then you can have a simple family link, where if your family member is linked to your account they can make a character within that faction regardless if the faction is closed for new people (so family members can play together), but this has to be limited so it can't be abused.

To me that'd be the best way to balance it out, and it's something that FPS games have kind of did for a while with their balancing.

Thank you for the voucher, that's awesome!

I have never seen so much crying on something so simple. Is it that big of a deal? If ya want to play an imperial buy it, if ya dont, dont buy it. Pretty simple to me. If it is about the extra 30 bucks...then are you really planning on paying the monthly fee to start with? Is it going to be the end of the world that you dont have a class to play? There are 9 other classes.

I have never seen so much crying on something so simple. Is it that big of a deal? If ya want to play an imperial buy it, if ya dont, dont buy it. Pretty simple to me. If it is about the extra 30 bucks...then are you really planning on paying the monthly fee to start with? Is it going to be the end of the world that you dont have a class to play? There are 9 other classes.

Thank you.

This is why they get away with this nonsense.

This is why they get away with this nonsense.

Please explain why it is nonsense? It is nonsense for a company to make money? If I am not mistaken the whole of point of a business is to make money.

They are not making you buy anything, it is your choice to do so or not.

Go ahead and defend Zenimax, you have nothing to gain (unless you're on their pay) and everything to lose. If people eat up this nickel and diming of a game fragmented into separate purchases then you can expect more of the same in the future. Pay for each race, pay for the complete story, etc... on top of the monthly payment. Shoot, why not have a premium monthly payment where you must keep paying extra otherwise you lose special access? Why not pay to win on top of a monthly payment? Companies WILL do it if you let them.

Sounds like conformity to me :eek:

Please explain why it is nonsense? It is nonsense for a company to make money? If I am not mistaken the whole of point of a business is to make money.

They are not making you buy anything, it is your choice to do so or not.

It's nonsense because it's a class that has been in the last three titles, and now they are taking it out and charging more for it. It's just more, "we're going to remove features from the game and then charge more for them later as DLC," and yes, that is nonsense. I don't know of anyone that would think that was legit.

Go ahead and defend Zenimax, you have nothing to gain (unless you're on their pay) and everything to lose. If people eat up this nickel and diming of a game fragmented into separate purchases then you can expect more of the same in the future. Pay for each race, pay for the complete story, etc... on top of the monthly payment. Shoot, why not have a premium monthly payment where you must keep paying extra otherwise you lose special access? Why not pay to win on top of a monthly payment? Companies WILL do it if you let them.

Not sure where you've been but this has been going on for years now. Everyone used to say we were stupid for complaining about back then, but looks like fail and I were right on the money.

Your complaints are too little too late now.

Not sure where you've been but this has been going on for years now. Everyone used to say we were stupid for complaining about back then, but looks like fail and I were right on the money.

Thats because people are too unwilling to vote with their wallets and go without and be "that guy" among their friends who didnt buy a title.

At least growing up, when I bought a game, I got the whole game and didnt need to buy it in bits and pieces. Its no wonder I buy so few games today at all. People dont realize just how badly they're getting fucked and seem almost happy about it because they keep shelling out money for every nickle and dime method companies use.

Its here to stay though, people have been supporting it far too long and companies are getting way to rich off it to stop.

Big pat on the back for you, then?

Back